What's new

New Street Fighter 6 Details And Footage Revealed on June 2 — Release in 2023

As of 30 minutes ago today, Capcom put out new details and (early) footage of Street Fighter 6. This includes a fairly lengthy trailer for the game (including a new game mode):

.. and showcasing a new art style, etc. And in addition to that, some new info about new steps the series is taking, including the addition of in-game commentary:

Capcom also shared that the game will be released some time in 2023.

I'm sure there will be plenty to discuss as new things come in. The SF6 era is beginning :cool:

Last edited:

Comments

I mean, it depends. When Arcsys announced they were simplifying Guilty Gear everyone was "oh this sucks!", then the game launched and it was fantastic. It's one of the most played fighting games, it's very popular and the quality of the series didn't drop. The competitive players are as fierce as ever, and the casuals enjoy beating each other. It worked.
it doesn't always work, i didn't like when they simplified MVC3. im always against scrub friendly designs being the general mechanics. but i support having an "easy mode" OPTION for casuals while still allowing veterans and pros to play the way they're used to.

Having the input be Foward + Button has implications for movement and obviously, the speed at which you can do it on command will be faster. And no one wants to lose a tournament match or something because you are doing Shoryukens a frame or two slower with old school input while the opponent has the streamlined input.

You have to wonder if we're seeing the death knell of old school inputs. Can you imagine NRS releasing a game with inputs like MK11 while SFV is getting closer to Smash Bros? I don't have a negative view of simplifying inputs but I'm curious to see how this trend goes

Having the input be Foward + Button has implications for movement and obviously, the speed at which you can do it on command will be faster. And no one wants to lose a tournament match or something because you are doing Shoryukens a frame or two slower with old school input while the opponent has the streamlined input.
Nobody is going to be winning tournaments with the simple inputs since it nerfs the overall kit too much based on the info. I really think it's just an olive branch for people trying to get into the genre or refresh themselves.

You have to wonder if we're seeing the death knell of old school inputs. Can you imagine NRS releasing a game with inputs like MK11 while SFV is getting closer to Smash Bros? I don't have a negative view of simplifying inputs but I'm curious to see how this trend goes
I think this conversation will really begin once Project L has landed. That game is gonna make big waves, and possibly (hopefully) reset the standards for fighting game development and user experience.

People concerned about the “modern” inputs for SF6…just stop. It is a 100% non-issue.
It WON’T be tourney legal, obviously.
There are disadvantages in place that mitigate any “benefit.
The UI even shows you if your opponent is using them.
STOP.

Killer Instinct has simplified inputs and there's absolutely zero built-in in penalty for using it, and I'm not aware of any tournaments that banned it.

NOBODY uses it at high level because the chance you'll accidentally get an input you don't want are too high. Hit your crouching lights a bit too fast when you're trying to confirm or create space and you get a special out of nowhere.

One button + direction specials would obviously have that same weakness. You just can't map out an entire suite of specials that way without inadvertent collisions. There's likely no reason to add debuffs to make up the quicker inout because it's already so unoptimal with just that.

It's for new players who just want to mash and see things happen, and that's fine. Capcom is being smart here.

Daigo's and Mago's reaction to the trailer and gameplay mechanics.

Lots of funny hot takes about the parry, particularly from Mago. Remove the parry!

Daigo's and Mago's reaction to the trailer and gameplay mechanics.

Lots of funny hot takes about the parry, particularly from Mago. Remove the parry!

Just goes to show you that even the most seasoned pro players turn into scrublords after watching a trailer for a new game.

im hyped! It’s been awhile for me to get hyped for a new fighting game. Last time i was super hyped was in 2011 with MK9! (Nothing can beat the hype after mk9’s reveal trailer tho)

Well it finally happened. Everything that NRS games were once the best at - story mode, character interactions, graphics etc - SFVI is poised to overtake them.

How is it that Capcom is the one to attempt a Konquest-like, modern day adventure mode first? Instead NRS has stuck to their incredibly stale cutscene-fight format for 15 years (dating all the way back to MK vs. DC).

And look at those intros man. The versus screen faces, the theatrical walk ins, the hype. NRS is so dull in comparison. Again very little innovation for almost a decade except adding more (more dialog, more animations). More isn't better. NRS lacks flare.

The art-style and especially those graffiti effects is far more visually appealing to me than NRS' realism approach.

Also kudos to Capcom for furthur leaning into hip-hop for the soundtrack instead of using it as set dressing for a few trailers like NRS does. You'd think NRS would realize the potential there but instead their music has been terrible and uninspired for almost two decades.

NRS simply rested on their laurels for too long and allowed the competition to catch up. Barring a miracle I doubt NRS will be competitive in terms of gameplay mechanics so they really need to step it up in all these other areas. I hope SFVI is a resounding success so it lights a fire under their asses.

Will definitely check this out. We’ll see what launch state is like, but I suspect they’ll nail it tbh

Hype about the alternate controls, it means I’ll be able to convince my less FG enthused mates to play with me. I'll leave musings of high level consequences to the high level players…

Last edited:
Well it finally happened. Everything that NRS games were once the best at - story mode, character interactions, graphics etc - SFVI is poised to overtake them.

How is it that Capcom is the one to attempt a Konquest-like, modern day adventure mode first? Instead NRS has stuck to their incredibly stale cutscene-fight format for 15 years (dating all the way back to MK vs. DC).

And look at those intros man. The versus screen faces, the theatrical walk ins, the hype. NRS is so dull in comparison. Again very little innovation for almost a decade except adding more (more dialog, more animations). More isn't better. NRS lacks flare.

The art-style and especially those graffiti effects is far more visually appealing to me than NRS' realism approach.

Also kudos to Capcom for furthur leaning into hip-hop for the soundtrack instead of using it as set dressing for a few trailers like NRS does. You'd think NRS would realize the potential there but instead their music has been terrible and uninspired for almost two decades.

NRS simply rested on their laurels for too long and allowed the competition to catch up. Barring a miracle I doubt NRS will be competitive in terms of gameplay mechanics so they really need to step it up in all these other areas. I hope SFVI is a resounding success so it lights a fire under their asses.
Probably important to consider two things:

1) We don’t know what the reaction to this game will be. None of these things have any bearing on quality of gameplay, and if players take issue with changes to the gameplay systems, the narrative will start that Capcom focused on casuals and the backlash may be severe.

2) It’s likely that Capcom would not have been doing any of these things without NRS leading the way. Smoother rollback netcode will be yet another area in which they feel pressure after the US company stepped up to do it first.

They need to tone down the Splatoon paint effects considerably. If they stay as is, then the game could be borderline unplayable due to the paint effects covering too much of the screen.

SNK Heroines and En-Eins Perfektewelt are both unplayable due to too overly large effects and shit covering the screen… SF6 is flirting with the same problem.