What's new

New Street Fighter 6 Details And Footage Revealed on June 2 — Release in 2023

As of 30 minutes ago today, Capcom put out new details and (early) footage of Street Fighter 6. This includes a fairly lengthy trailer for the game (including a new game mode):

.. and showcasing a new art style, etc. And in addition to that, some new info about new steps the series is taking, including the addition of in-game commentary:

Capcom also shared that the game will be released some time in 2023.

I'm sure there will be plenty to discuss as new things come in. The SF6 era is beginning :cool:

Last edited:

Comments

Continuing the tradition of being a genre leader, the pinnacle of fighting games can be found in this mode. With a highly evolved combat system, experience the stunning innovation for yourself. All of the modes found in Street Fighter V can now be found in Fighting Ground.

BATTLE SYSTEM DESIGN
Simpler controls will let you improve your offense and defense. With good timing you can unleash attacks with flashy visuals, allowing you to experience the thrill of the fight even more.

DRIVE GAUGE
The engine that powers the Drive System is available as soon as the round begins, allowing you to fight to your liking. If you spend your entire Drive Gauge, you'll enter a burnout state with big disadvantages, but it also replenishes automatically, making meter management a key to the fight. Understanding the system in-depth, including when to be conservative and when to gamble, allows for deep, high-level battles.

Drive Parry
Drive Gauge Cost
Consumption

Automatically repel an opponent’s attack and replenish Drive when performed successfully. Perform a Perfect Parry by parrying just before an opponent’s attack hits you.

Overdrive
Drive Gauge Cost×2

Press two of the same button type instead of one when performing a special move to turn it into an Overdrive Art. These are the same attacks as EX Special Moves in past games.

DRIVE RUSH
Drive Gauge Cost×1 or×3

Perform a quick rush forward from a Drive Parry or a cancelable normal attack.
Drive Rush from a parry costs 1 Drive Stock, while Drive Rush from a normal attack costs 3 Drive Stocks.

Drive Reversal
Drive Gauge Cost×2

Perform a counterattack while blocking an opponent’s attack.
The damage is low but can help you out of tight situations when you’re being pressured.

Street Fighter 6 aims to redefine the fighting genre in 2023

Get ready for another Capcom K.O. on PS5 and PS4.

Andy WongSr. Manager, Social Media and Community, Capcom
Revealed in today’s State of Play, Street Fighter 6 hits the scene in 2023. Experience a brand-new era of Street Fighter with stylish mechanics to express your creativity, vibrant characters, and new modes that will reimagine the fighting game experience. Street Fighter 6 is jam-packed with content and more ways to play for everyone – whether you’re new to the fighting game community or been a part of it since Street Fighterreleased in 1987.
Play Video

Thirty-five years in the making, the Street Fighter series has welcomed fans from all walks of life with different gameplay experiences. From Arcade Mode, online matches, Training Mode, local versus battles, and more (all found within the Fighting Ground), we’re bringing modes present in previous titles – plus two brand-new modes called World Tour and Battle Hub – to Street Fighter 6 to offer an unbeatable gaming experience.
Classic Street Fighter Built for a Modern Era
After our Teaser Trailer back in February, we hinted at a more hyper-realistic look for Street Fighter 6. We’re proud to announce that this new entry in the series is being developed on Capcom’s own RE Engine – previously used to create Resident Evil 7, Resident Evil Village, and Devil May Cry 5. With the RE Engine, you’ll notice enhanced visuals in every aspect of the game. Beads of sweat will roll down across skin, muscles will tense up when used, and cherry blossom petals will flitter and twirl in line with a character’s movement. Pair this graphics upgrade with the explosive splashes of paint and the striking graffiti treatment, and you’ll end up with an art style distinct to Street Fighter 6.

Meet the First Characters
And what is Street Fighter without its iconic roster of characters? Returning in Street Fighter 6 are Ryu, Chun-Li, and Luke, all of whom have undergone redesigns for this new era. Joining them is a brand-new face, Jamie who will add his own flair to the game with his unpredictable move set – based on drunken boxing – that incorporates breakdancing and chugging a ki-unleashing drink.

Luke uses his background as a contractor for a private military company to teach mixed martial arts. He spends his days off eating junk food, playing video games, and challenging opponents to a good old fight. Nevertheless, he always has victory in his sights.
Select Moves:
  • DDT – A powerful throw activated after the first hit of an Overdrive (OD) Flash Knuckle. Useful for when you want guaranteed extra damage.
  • Fatal Shot – Fire an additional shockwave after an OD Sand Blast to secure more damage after trading projectiles.

Jamie is a peacekeeper from Chinatown who aspires to walk in the footsteps of Yun and Yang, the Twin Dragons. An expert dancer, Jamie places justice and friendship above all else, defending his town with martial arts.
Select Moves:
  • The Devil Inside – Jamie takes a swig out of his ki-unleashing drink to raise his Drink Level. Higher levels unlock access to additional moves.
  • Luminous Dive Kick (Drink Level 1+) – While forward jumping, Jamie extends his leg and quickly drops to the ground. Useful as a surprise attack or a way to close the distance.

Ryu continues training on his endless quest to find true strength. Well-mannered and sincere, he travels the globe in search of worthy opponents. Having overcome the Satsui no Hado, he now yearns for something greater.
Select Moves:
  • Hashogeki – Ryu concentrates ki in his palms and unleashes it a short distance forward. Useful as a follow-up after block strings and combos.
  • Denjin Charge – Ryu envelops his fists with the Power of Nothingness, enhancing special moves such as Hadoken and Hashogeki. Ryu is vulnerable while performing this move, so careful timing is critical.

Chun-Li is a former agent from the ICPO (International Criminal Police Investigation). She now looks after Li Fen, a victim of the Black Moon Incident from Street Fighter V. With Shadaloo now fallen, Chun-Li teaches kung fu classes and has become a beloved member of the local community.
Select Moves:
  • Tensho Kicks – Chun-Li rises into the air with a flurry of kicks. Useful for countering an opponent’s jump attack or to close out combos.
  • Serenity Stream – Chun-Li switches to a low, stationary fighting stance. While in this stance, Chun-Li’s normal attack buttons change.
A Battle System Built for Creativity
With every new Street Fighter comes mechanics you can master to rise to the top. Introducing, the Drive System, a gauge you’ll need to manage wisely and one that is ripe with creativity. You can utilize the Drive Gauge to perform five different techniques that can easily enhance your offense or defense.

A Drive Impact is a powerful strike that can absorb an opponent’s incoming attack and can lead to a wall splat. Use Drive Parry to repel your opponent’s attack and refill your Drive Gauge. Cancel out of a Drive Parry or normal attack into a Drive Rush to quickly close in on your opponent. Overdrive Arts are similar to EX Moves from past games that power up your Special Moves. Use Drive Reversal to perform a counterattack to get you out of tight situations. One gauge, five techniques, unlimited possibilities. Use your creativity to choose which technique to utilize and when. It’s all in your hands!
Drive System Overview
A Modern Control Type for Everyone
For those who are worried that fighting game inputs are too complicated and just want to unleash your inner fighter, we have a solution in the form of a new control type option. First off, Classic Control Type is what veterans can expect to use for inputs with its six-button layout. New to Street Fighter 6 is the Modern Control Type, which allows for easier inputs where a special move can be performed by combining the “Special Move” button with one directional input. This is perfect for newer players or those who may have found classic command inputs a bit too difficult in the past. With the Modern Control Type, your character will perform some of their flashiest (and best) attacks with just a few button presses. Modern Control Type is optional, but we highly recommend new players give it a try!

Enter the Real Time Commentary Feature
Finally, we’re happy to announce a new feature that will add all the hype of a competitive match without actually being in one. Enter the Real Time Commentary Feature. We’re working with well-known FGC (Fight Game Community) commentators and other recognizable faces to incorporate their voices directly into the game! Enter a match and as the fight goes on, their voices will narrate what is happening on screen just like a real tournament. In addition to the added excitement, this feature will also provide easy-to-understand explanations about gameplay. This will help anyone new to Street Fighter have a better grasp of the mechanics to use for future battles! The Real Time Commentary Feature will also support subtitles in 13 languages for more accessibility. The first legendary commentators to join this feature are Vicious and Aru! We’ll announce the rest of the lineup in the future.

Play Video

A New World to Step Into
Let’s talk briefly about two of the new and foundational modes you also saw in the latest trailer: World Tour and Battle Hub. World Tour is a single-player immersive story mode that pushes the boundaries of what a fighting game is and allows you to leave your own legacy within Street Fighter 6with your player avatar. And while Battle Hub – briefly shown at the end of the trailer – seems like just a venue for online matches, it will also bring new and unique forms of engagements and communication. Both of these modes will require a deeper dive in the future and we can’t wait to discuss them in more detail.

This is what we mean by “Your Moment. Your Fight.” Whether that is through the expansive new modes, tailored options to improve your experience, or through the possibilities of the Drive System, Street Fighter 6 is the future of the fighting game genre. Available in 2023 on PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4! (Psst, did you notice anything appear on the Battle Hub screen at the end?)

source

The "modern controls" is going to get a lot of flack from the traditionalists I think, but at the same time is an interesting way to make the game more accessible. Curious to hear James Chen's take on this as he's quite pro-accessibility for the mainstream gamer. Pretty sure other games have tried similar simplified control schemes though.

Regenerating meter... a la MK11... oh my!!

Seems like a pretty comprehensive overhaul of SF6 as we know it.. Interesting, and I have my helmet and flame-resistant suit ready :coffee: Hoping the community gives it a chance.

Well it seems DasVergen's leak on the new characters is accurate. We can expect Phantom to come along too (assassin)

I couldn't care less about the simplified inputs. If it gets people playing more, so be it.

Having said that, I do think there should be an advantage for actually doing the proper inputs. Maybe less scaling? I don't know.

Other than that, this game looks stunning. The ink effects are a bit much but I'm hoping that's just for the trailer. I am shocked to see this coming to Xbox as well, but pleased. Looks like Capcom wants EVERYONE to play SF6 and I'm down with that. Pretty excited about this game, actually.

Please announce something soon, NRS.....

I stand by this. years ago i used to play MvC with my cousin who can't do the input for a hadouken (ground smash since he mains hulk) so he'd go auto and i go normal and it balances out. we both get to enjoy the game without it being a one sided massacre.

having the OPTION to make the game mechanically accessible to casuals is a lot better than having the core mechanics of the game catering to them (ex: mk11).

I stand by this. years ago i used to play MvC with my cousin who can't do the input for a hadouken (ground smash since he mains hulk) so he'd go auto and i go normal and it balances out. we both get to enjoy the game without it being a one sided massacre.

having the OPTION to make the game mechanically accessible to casuals is a lot better than having the core mechanics of the game catering to them (ex: mk11).
I mean, it depends. When Arcsys announced they were simplifying Guilty Gear everyone was "oh this sucks!", then the game launched and it was fantastic. It's one of the most played fighting games, it's very popular and the quality of the series didn't drop. The competitive players are as fierce as ever, and the casuals enjoy beating each other. It worked.

If anyone is concerned about the Modern controls, consider the fact that your available attack buttons for nomals are cut in half and you can only access 4 special moves with the special button.
Special moves, I might add, may only be used at one strength. Classic special moves always typically have 3 versions each for the strength of button being used in SF.

Honestly this system seems smart af.

Last edited: