What's new

New PS4 Mad Catz Fight Pad

ArcticTabasco

I wish I knew Kung Fu.
How about the d-pad being a bit too out and above? I mean the pics make it seem that the d-pad is further to the edges now is this correct or am I just seeing wrong? So the d-pad works better than the ones you've tried before?
It's in a comfy position for my taste. I'm not sure if it's the best ever (I honestly don't know what pad that would be), but it is very good.

TKB

Noob
I've been using the Hori FC4 since May or June of last year and the functionality of it is excellent but I find it to be fragile.. Two I bought have had issues with the L2 and R2 bumpers getting stuck in and a third came out of the box with a broken d-pad lol.

I just ordered the new Fighting Cammander after reading the review by @THTB but I may also order the mad catz as well so I can compare.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
To follow up on my FC purchase, it's been nothing but smooth sailing this week since SFV came out. It felt SOOOOOO good to be back to DPing on reaction, and supers come out just about any time I try to get them out. Only time I miss anything is on me...doesn't feel like I miss because the controller isn't for me or sucks. When it comes to MKX, I had an issue since I got my PS4 where the pad just gives double taps sometimes. Have yet to encounter it with this pad.

It's an absolutely amazing controller. I am seriously impressed. So impressed, I bought a second one lmfao.

Just got the Mad Catz fight pad and i feel its really good. The build quality IMO is very nice and its got some weight to it. Just like 7L said this new d-pad is designed for you to keep your thumb in the middle or start a motion with your thumb in the middle. When you do this the movements are very precise.

I got a copy of this controller and I tested it with a friend who is a SF5 pad player (plays on PS4 pad).

Dpad
You can not use the Dpad the same way as a PS4 or traditional Hori Dpad. You have to use it the way that 7L has mentioned. Your thumb has to be in the middle and you roll to the direction you want to move and block. If you tap, the Dpad will get stuck or jammed. If you tap, you might get double input since the Dpad has to move back to neutral. My Dpad has jammed many times when I tap Down-Back. If you roll the Dpad, you will unjam it.

Buttons
Boy, where do I start.

First Problem:
The bumpers are way too big (L1 and R1). This is the same problem that Alioune mentioned. If you try and hit the trigger, you have to be careful so you don't hit the bumper.

Second Problem:
The button does get stuck. I got the pad today and the circle button got stuck many times.

Third Problem:
The R1 button is way too close to the circle button. For MK, that's not really a problem since you just tap the buttons. For Street Fighter, you need to press the 2 mediums to do your V-Skill (Triangle and Circle). Due to the placement of the R1 button, you might get some accidental R1 input buttons. Throws are fine (Square + X) since the Triangle button is far away but the R1 button is way too close to the Circle button.

To be honest, I would stick with the Official DS4 pad instead of this pad. The main problem is not the dpad. You will have to relearn how to use this Dpad or use the Dpad mod (via youtube). The main problem are the buttons on this fightpad. There are no mods to fix the buttons on this fightpad.

crosshair271

Sub-Xerox
I was pissed off when they removed the dual analogs from the beta version. It would have been the perfect controller to go from fighting games to other games. So they D-pad still has the corner issues since the sf4 pads. Only way to fix it is to insert a thin plastic cross shape under the d-pad.

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
So after reading the similar thread in SRK, looks like the Madcatz pad is a complete failure. Kinda glad I did not pick this up. I'll stick with my Hori because I've had no issues with it what so ever. Wanted to get the other Fight commander but it's sold out.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
So after reading the similar thread in SRK, looks like the Madcatz pad is a complete failure. Kinda glad I did not pick this up. I'll stick with my Hori because I've had no issues with it what so ever. Wanted to get the other Fight commander but it's sold out.
There was a report that the Hori FC d-pad lost responsiveness after a short period.

@C-Sword any issues with you? I've noticed my down/left feels like it doesn't always work, but I realize that pressing closer to the middle results in better inputs overall for the pad, anyway.

Still usable, just a bit of adjustment I've had to do on my end. Still think the pad is glorious.

C-Sword

Noob
There was a report that the Hori FC d-pad lost responsiveness after a short period.

@C-Sword any issues with you? I've noticed my down/left feels like it doesn't always work, but I realize that pressing closer to the middle results in better inputs overall for the pad, anyway.

Still usable, just a bit of adjustment I've had to do on my end. Still think the pad is glorious.
No problems with mine so far, I was even able to do Zangief's spinning pile driver, something I could never do on pad before.