What's new

Question NEW PATCH**

Apock

Noob
Quote Originally Posted by Cat
How much less is the jip advantage? Can you still go for a gueranteed grab attempt?
REO says that you cannot. The advantage is significantly less.

Edit: More changes are being added.

what about smoke and his 15 frame start up's normals? lol rotfl salty :X :[

What now friends? :(

Apock

Noob
Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
Lmao!!!! Smoke players beware!!! If you do a jip and they block and you try to follow it up with standing 3 they can jump out and not get hit. I guess moves with slow start up will not jail after a blocked jip

so... smoke had 3d12 - 15 frame start up, b23 15 frame start up, 214 - 11 frame start up and hits high so u can poke. What smoke players should do now?

ROTFL LOL. ;]

Okay, to work through the internet lingo, you guys are saying that "jip > 3d12" no longer links, and it can be jumped out of?

What about jip > 21xxbomb? I don't have my xbox connected to LIVE at college so i can't get the update to find out...

What's the status on the EX Bomb 10% unscaled combo ender? What about the reset?

Despite all of this, smoke doesn't necessarily need jip starters, since most of his combo starts are gonna be off of counterattacks/baits, and most jumps are gonna be defensive in nature, not offensive. jip > guaranteed grab being out was necessary, but it hurts smoke a LOT (at least for me, was a big part of my play). Smoke's got some of the best abare in the game, guess we're gonna have to learn to use that better. gotta control dat airspace with iaTP and defensive jk xx airthrow, but now we're not allowed to use that airspace we work so hard to gain control of. le sigh.

All we've got now is poke string offense, b23, and oki pressure it seems.

whinystatus: if we can't jip combo anymore, give us the airthrow > OTG Bomb back :(

Smoke gets a lot of his pressure from JIP to a high/low or f.throw. It's gonna hurt for sure. Then again, it hurts a lot of people, so we'll have to see. All we know right now is that the game just became totally different.

I'm not entirely sure. I play a lame defensive smoke and try to punish mistakes, rather than rush in and make my own. So it doesn't hurt me too much, and i'm glad to see alot of the jip advantage gone to be honest. It was a bit much for some characters to handle :)

EDIT: im being an optimist here goddammit. does everyone need a freakin chocolate bar to calm down and talk about what we CAN still do with smoke?

Saint

Noob
They actually said they would release official patch notes with the patch, whatever happened to those

Apock

Noob
I'm not entirely sure. I play a lame defensive smoke and try to punish mistakes, rather than rush in and make my own. So it doesn't hurt me too much, and i'm glad to see alot of the jip advantage gone to be honest. It was a bit much for some characters to handle :)
wtf u talking about, 99% cast can jip > block string, even strayker. Smoke cant.

I don't usually even do jump in punches? I tend to stay grounded and only jump defensively so it doesn't affect me too much :confused:

Any time I go on offense is for oki, otherwise i'm gonna be lame and just try to fuck with you till I win. I feel that's how I play smoke the best :p Maybe you guys just play too offensively? smoke isn't a rushdown character by any means.

Azrael

Noob
I hate seeing the smoke players that sit back and just throw braindead smoke bombs all day til one connects....guess we're gonna see more of em now eh.... I personally preferred playing him in a much more offensive role....thats where he shines most imo....so yea...this nerf is a big deal fyi.

d1 doesnt trap into b+2. d4 does though.

3, d+1, 2 is still a great meaty off of a landed airthrow. I almost never use 3, d+1, 2 after a JIP.

Also, the fact that it's not guaranteed doesn't necessarily mean you can't go for a high/low. If their fastest poke is, say, 5 frames, and our d+1 still traps after JIP, that means they have about 5 or so frames to enter the poke if we still go for something like sweep, b+2, or throw. If they do it too early, they get hit by the overhead JIP.

If a fair amount of people are like me, throw after JIP hits so much not necessary because of the block stun, but because my instinct is to continue to block. That will keep the throw guaranteed. I now wonder if this will have any practical difference in gameplay at all.

Also, as smoke players we can go back to our old friend, jk OS air throw. Good times those were, lol.

If I understand correctly they can jump out between the jip and 3d12, which is a big deal. SO, it looks like a mind game to me now, because if you predict them jumping out you throw your d1 d1 bomb instead, and if they block your d1 you can either go into a throw or d4 > b23. Ehh. I'll just keep being the lamer that spams bombs and refuses to let you get in on me :) Maybe i'm not the best player but if I can tilt my opponent, they're gonna make more mistakes and I can capitalize on those with b23 combos :D I feel like not enough people play smoke in that style and do better than just being "that spammy retard" with it :(

Apock

Noob
We can do jip~d3. Kung Lao can jip 2121212 and build 1 ex meter. ;)))
Kabal can jip ~ frame trap, we can jip~ d1.
soooo funny. ;p

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Ugh. I relied heavily on jump in/cross up set ups into 3d12 traps. Looks like all pressure is going to come from sweep to oki and d4.

This is fucking dumb.

i was testing it online with a friend on a lagless connection and he was not able to get out after a blocked jip as combo starter. he could jump out of the throw though.

kandehbar

The Gryphon
Alright.
I know jip was a major part of mk9 pressure in general but maybe this will be reversed or maybe this will make us try to find a new tactic to advance in
Smoke does have a lot of tools to move across the screen maybe Ex smoke toward has got even better chance to shine. But to be honest maybe this is a wake up call for everyone to work on our footsies a bit better

Alright.
I know jip was a major part of mk9 pressure in general but maybe this will be reversed or maybe this will make us try to find a new tactic to advance in
Smoke does have a lot of tools to move across the screen maybe Ex smoke toward has got even better chance to shine. But to be honest maybe this is a wake up call for everyone to work on our footsies a bit better
sorry but did you read the post right above yours?