What's new

New Nightwing Help

Hello community, I'm a fairly new player to Injustice, and fighting games in general. I played a bit of MK9 so I'm familiar with how to play pretty well.

I am however having trouble getting good with nightwing. I feel like my range with escrima is super minimal, and my attacks are always getting blocked. I'm not sure what attacks I should be doing in order to initiate combos. I know I should be mixing things up but it feels like everything gets blocked.

What are some good ways to actually connect? And how should I respond after being knocked down or when I'm blocking? I feel so helpless. I usually do a lot better in staff stance, and am working on my transitions from escrima. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Rokinlobster

Nightwolf of the galaxy
I can't help you with anything nightwing specific, but I have some general advice.
getting attacks blocked is not a bad thing at all, you still do a little damage and build up your super meter. If they are just sitting there blocking everything, then throw them, or keep attacking them.

In a match with good people, Id say 1/4 of the strings that are done will actually hit but 1/2 of those that do hit are punishes, so having your attacks blocked all the time is something to get used to.

thank you, as for Nightwing specific, I try and do his f213 a lot, and it gets blocked and I usually get punished for it. I need to work on that or finding a different opener.

In terms of punishing other people, I don't know if I'm waiting too long after I block them to attack back or what, but it seems like they just continually string attacks and there's nothing I can do, or they just block right after

NightwingDayZero

Truth, justice and the American way.
Go to the Nightwing Video thread. Look for last weeks Wednesday Night Fights videos. Watch what those Nightwing players do. Come back and ask why they make the decisions they do.

Especially watch for gameplay from Xblades.

Hruza Da Bruza

Must Mash Harder!!!!!
Another thing you can try is after you see they are blocking your F213, you can cancel it into Ground Spark (DB2) which is safe at -4 or Meter Burn it to be +11 on block. Because F213 is -9 a lot of characters can punish and since ground Spark is a low it will sometimes catch them off guard and you can get some extra damage.

ohh ok thanks for the tip, I'll work on it...also what is with the whole + or - on moves I keep reading about? I know it has something to do with frames. Also what does "on block" mean? thanks

Hruza Da Bruza

Must Mash Harder!!!!!
Basically if a move is + frames it means that for that amount of time, your opponent can do nothing but block. Which is where nightwing is very good because a lot of his basic strings are CRAZY advantage on block, which is great against people who aren't familiar with the match will hit a button trying to counter you, nothing will come out because they are still at disadvantage and you can blow them up for it, this is known as a frame trap.

Basically if a move is + frames it means that for that amount of time, your opponent can do nothing but block. Which is where nightwing is very good because a lot of his basic strings are CRAZY advantage on block, which is great against people who aren't familiar with the match will hit a button trying to counter you, nothing will come out because they are still at disadvantage and you can blow them up for it, this is known as a frame trap.
wonderful, thank you everyone for the replies...

what are some good combos to be pressuring with then? f213 is my go to, but I've also been trying b112 and 113 into escrima fury

Hruza Da Bruza

Must Mash Harder!!!!!
B2 right into Kali Fury is a quick overhead that will catch people (B2, Kali Fury, J3, Wingding). Also 112 is insane at +21 on Block so you can basically get any mixup you want.

Georgie

Ex Shadow Kick
Never do naked F213, on block try to always cancel the first hit of the (3) with a special move. i find myself doing F213 4xxStaffSpinxx4 Backdash since the staff spin cancel is safe it gives you space for whiff punishing or going for mixup. You can also do F213xxFlipkick for a left right mixup. B11 is a great range punisher because the B1 goes pretty far.

Btw if you do F213 and cancel the first hit of the 3 with flipkick, it crosses up. If you cancel the second hit of the 3 it stays on the same side. NOTE: It doesnt work on some characters

Hruza Da Bruza

Must Mash Harder!!!!!
Georgie said:
Btw if you do F213 and cancel the first hit of the 3 with flipkick, it crosses up. If you cancel the second hit of the 3 it stays on the same side. NOTE: It doesnt work on some character
I Never knew that, That's Awesome. I'll definitely be working on that :)

Never do naked F213, on block try to always cancel the first hit of the (3) with a special move. i find myself doing F213 4xxStaffSpinxx4 Backdash since the staff spin cancel is safe it gives you space for whiff punishing or going for mixup. You can also do F213xxFlipkick for a left right mixup. B11 is a great range punisher because the B1 goes pretty far.

Btw if you do F213 and cancel the first hit of the 3 with flipkick, it crosses up. If you cancel the second hit of the 3 it stays on the same side. NOTE: It doesnt work on some characters
You can cancel from Kali into staff and staff sping THEN cancel back into Kali from the staff spin special again?

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
Hey, just a heads up, f213 and 112 are actually safe on block, since the last hits of the strings are multihitting, the frame data is wrong. They're around -1 to -3.

Very few pre set mixup strings on this character which are very good in this game so don't bother with any of the big combos just yet, concentrate on small quick damage, u can double up on back 2, and air wingdings is ur best friend, but invest alot of time in the staff is my recommendation

Check my channel out for combo videos ranked matches montages and more http://www.youtube.com/user/TequilaMockingburd

And no I don't type my signature out everytime, im using Tapatalk app lol

B2 is your longest ranged normal in esricma and its safe so that's a move u want to use a lot.at long range u probably will want to use staff df2 a lot as its plus on block and is a low