What's new

New Mortal Kombat Reboot Details

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Okay, assuming it's true, reading this was a story of me trying to suspend my disbelief.

"Let's focus on a new character..."
Okay, why not. Part of the appeal of MK installments (first film and derivatives, MK9...) was that it was a story told through the eyes of talented normie(s) who were dragged into a tournament of unexpected levels of weidness. You know, someone who could as well be a stand-in for audience not yet versed in lore, except with more action. Cage was great for that in MK9, here we have... well, we can take it as a more serious rendition of character minus celebrity status and the like... I think...

"Here's all his family members and stuff"
I guess. Gotta develop a main character, albeit that's pretty beaten way to do it. Isn't this list a bit too long for an MK story? Whatever...

"An Overseer"
Why not. Raiden isn't really doing everything alone anyway.

"Kano in a list of secondaries"
...yeah, unlike all those presumably decorative family members, he is secondary. Like... Okay, this is for a tournament arc, and one fight is what most characters will see on screen on average. I guess I can live with that.

"Sonya Blade, blah blah blah a writer..."
Ugh, why n... What?..
What the actual fuck are you doing.

Why.
:confused:

Perhaps I'm getting too naive despite constantly asking myself "who told you that? what's the source?". Or maybe I'm just too bored.

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
This shit is fake, there is no way in hell that this is real. Bringing a new char is great at all but this? This is trash, period.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
what a bunch of sad sacks you all are... it isn't like the last movies were the best things ever... sure we want a good movie.. but how about we at least give them a chance to make the darn thing before you slag it off for absolutely zero reason haha. Even a terrible modern film will still be pretty awesome. Everyone is so negative nowadays.. always so quick to judge and condemn. .. how about lighting up a little!!

... and let the fate of the world be decided as it should be... through MORTAL KOMBAT!!!

BruskyPoet

Johnny bought a car
what a bunch of sad sacks you all are... it isn't like the last movies were the best things ever... sure we want a good movie.. but how about we at least give them a chance to make the darn thing before you slag it off for absolutely zero reason haha. Even a terrible modern film will still be pretty awesome. Everyone is so negative nowadays.. always so quick to judge and condemn. .. how about lighting up a little!!

... and let the fate of the world be decided as it should be... through MORTAL KOMBAT!!!
I don’t think you realize how much the original movie payed so much respect to the original source material. The first one is really good in many ways. Even though this report is fake, this would have disrespected the franchise heavily. We have reason to be pissed.

Roy Arkon

I would've been cool with that if it is was a fan-made film, but it isn't. Aside from the fact that the term "fake news" is written all over it, if it's actually real, what they are doing here is re-invent way too much. I'm not against trying new things, hell, NRS/WB themselves have done a ton of new things for MK and they were all awesome, but not including the Ninjas plus putting way too much focus on the Cole guy and his family and not giving enough spot for the classics that would make the cut is just wrong. In MKX's story mode, for example, yes they've put the main focus on the new SF members like Takeda, Cassie etc, but not only they included a bunch of the classics including the Ninjas, they gave everyone the right amount of screen time and the story wasn't just about the SF members. MKX was a perfect balance between classic and new chars. And it was a very similar thing with the the 3D MK games, because even though Shujinko and Taven were the main focuses of MKD and MKA, at least Ed Boon and his team didn't completely wiped out the whole lore and started from scratch nor they committed to many important characters from the games.

Same for the movies too. Yes they did retconned some stuff from the games lore, hence the movies have their own canon that is separated from the games' canon, but they were still very true to source material and they have put the focus on the right chars. As bad as the 2nd movie was, at the very least it did that, just like the first one which was of course amazing. This "reboot project" on the other hand doesn't, and that's the problem. Good thing that it is fake of course.

I don’t think you realize how much the original movie payed so much respect to the original source material. The first one is really good in many ways. Even though this report is fake, this would have disrespected the franchise heavily. We have reason to be pissed.
Totally right on that one dude.

Jynks

I realise this.. but at best it is beloved b-grade movie that 90% of the population think is utter trash... I mean I love it.. but I'm also not blind to what they both where.

Roy Arkon

I realise this.. but at best it is beloved b-grade movie that 90% of the population think is utter trash... I mean I love it.. but I'm also not blind to what they both where.
The first movie is very well beloved, it is the 2nd movie that is not, and understandably so. And even then, both movies at least didn't got away from the lore way too much.

BruskyPoet

Johnny bought a car
The only reason why they think it’s trash is because it’s rated PG-13. Lmao. If you look at the actual MK1 story, there’s only one death that ever happens.

Jynks

The only reason why they think it’s trash is because it’s rated PG-13. Lmao. If you look at the actual MK1 story, there’s only one death that ever happens.
So a modern movie with modern special effects and already leaked to be rated r.... can't we just be happy for that for a like 2 seconds! : P.. who knows ... this might be awesome!

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
So a modern movie with modern special effects and already leaked to be rated r.... can't we just be happy for that for a like 2 seconds! : P.. who knows ... this might be awesome!
NO

THIS IS TYM. TRIGGERING YOU MOTHERFUCKERS

NO TEARS. NO SMILING. NO HAPPY.

ONLY TRIGGERED.

BruskyPoet

Johnny bought a car
I don’t mind it being Rated R. It’s just that I always defended the PG-13 rating from the first one. Everyone shits on that aspect of the first film because “muh fatalities”. Which shows that the only thing important to these casuals are fatalities. Sad.

I would be happy that this reboot is happening but in all honesty I don’t think it’s actually happening until it starts shooting. This thing has been in “development” since 2012. It’s like the DC movies. They announce a shit ton of movies but are they actually being made? As far as we know WW2, Aquaman, Shazam, and Birds of Prey are the only ones that are happening.

Only real info we got was James Wan saying he wants to take his time with the film. And that’s it. Every producer says that when they actually aren’t working on the film

Roy Arkon

I want to, but considering the direction it is going, all of the special effects in world and that being a modern movie won't save it. Once again it is fake though.

NO

THIS IS TYM. TRIGGERING YOU MOTHERFUCKERS

NO TEARS. NO SMILING. NO HAPPY.

ONLY TRIGGERED.
Trust me dude, this is isn't one of those cases on TYM, this time it is different.

Jynks

I want to, but considering the direction it is going, all of the special effects in world and that being a modern movie won't save it. Once again it is fake though.
what direction... you know NOTHING about it lol

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
COLE TURNER
Lead Male. 30s. A brand new character to the MK franchise. Cole is a struggling and widowed boxer who cares more about his young daughter than anything. He is incredibly determined and refuses to quit in the face of fantastical adversity.

EMILY
Female. 12. Cole's scrappy, determined, and wise-beyond-her-years daughter.

SOPHIA
Female. 60s. Cole’s understanding, discerning mother-in-law who houses Emily and is her primary guardian.

JESS
Female. 30-35. Cole’s judgemental sister-in-law, who believes Cole to be a selfish, bad father. She lives with Sophia and Emily.
is this seriously wtf MK needs to do to get people to watch it? lmfao goddamn

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
Man can't even make a joke without people giving serious answers
Lol so your joke wasnt making fun of everyone taking it seriously? You don't have to backpedal out of it and act like he's overreacting, his response was pretty measured... You can just say you disagree.

Suave

Noob
I would rather prefer going with a more in depth story of Kuai Lang and the death of his brother bi han. Quan Chi would be the main antagonist in the film. Maybe by having him corrupt scorpion and make him kill Bi Han while he builds an army to take over earth realm. Raiden takes notice of this and gathers people from earth to join forces with the Lin Kuei to stop Quan Chi. I think that would allow them to dive deeper into the netherealm and to start the ongoing war and hatred between Scorpion and Sub Zero. Then maybe at the end they could reveal the birth of Noob Saibot.