What's new

New Mortal Kombat Reboot Details

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
Lol so your joke wasnt making fun of everyone taking it seriously? You don't have to backpedal out of it and act like he's overreacting, his response was pretty measured... You can just say you disagree.
oh my lord

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Literally no Scorpion or Sub-Zero... What the fuck am I reading??
I know right? lol that's what I'm saying lol. Can you imagine an MK movie without those two?

I don’t think you realize how much the original movie payed so much respect to the original source material. The first one is really good in many ways. Even though this report is fake, this would have disrespected the franchise heavily. We have reason to be pissed.
This, not to mention the first MK movie still holds up today as a generally fun film and yes compared to every other vid game movie, arguably the best. A shame more vid game movies can't follow suit. Even comic films today they don't follow exact source material and it bugs the hell out of me honestly. They either go way off source material, have horrible miscastings be it the wrong actor or for forced PC reasons. Arggh. I just hope once they do finalize a script for MK it doesn't go the latter direction and more the MK 1 movie direction.

@Roy Arkon I agree, I don't think an MK film without the two most popular characters(arguably) would do very well and let's be honest here, I think Boon would riot if there was no Scorpion lol. (nevermind the fanbase)

Last edited:

Jhonnykiller45

Shirai Ryu
The only reason why they think it’s trash is because it’s rated PG-13. Lmao. If you look at the actual MK1 story, there’s only one death that ever happens.
You really think that's the only reason someone wouldn't like the MK movie? Being PG-13 isn't even the biggest flaw the movie has.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I don't know about anyone else but when I first saw the MK 1 movie, that part where Sub-Zero shattered that dude with his head rolling at Shang Tsung's feet...shocked me a little the first time I saw it. I didn't expect it lol. And Scorpion taking off his mask, getting his head half sliced off by Cage, bleeding lava then blowing up on fire and Shang stealing the dude's soul who Liu Kang beat or Sonya "crack" breaking Kano's neck? I know it wasn't nearly as gory or rated as the games but for a PG film I thought was pretty damn violent when you compare it to other PG 13 films.

Honestly, the main reason they went with the PG rating is to draw more kids. At the time in the 90's remember that was a big thing you know "omg what are they showing kids, soccer moms and all that" Now days they'd say fuck it, make it Rated R. I mean it worked for Watchmen, Deadpool etc so would definitely work for MK I think. Not sure why people would bash the first movie, MK A ok...yes that dude who wrote it and directed it did a shitty job, but then if you compare the MK movies and Legacy, Rebirth to the shit SF put out and DOA, DB, Tekken etc, etc you learn to appreciate how solid MK's live action is honestly. I mean hell, I'd even watch Conquest over those films lol and that show had a super low budget but the acting wasn't bad and the stories were interesting.

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
I don't know about anyone else but when I first saw the MK 1 movie, that part where Sub-Zero shattered that dude with his head rolling at Shang Tsung's feet...shocked me a little the first time I saw it. I didn't expect it lol. And Scorpion taking off his mask, getting his head half sliced off by Cage, bleeding lava then blowing up on fire and Shang stealing the dude's soul who Liu Kang beat or Sonya "crack" breaking Kano's neck? I know it wasn't nearly as gory or rated as the games but for a PG film I thought was pretty damn violent when you compare it to other PG 13 films.

Honestly, the main reason they went with the PG rating is to draw more kids. At the time in the 90's remember that was a big thing you know "omg what are they showing kids, soccer moms and all that" Now days they'd say fuck it, make it Rated R. I mean it worked for Watchmen, Deadpool etc so would definitely work for MK I think. Not sure why people would bash the first movie, MK A ok...yes that dude who wrote it and directed it did a shitty job, but then if you compare the MK movies and Legacy, Rebirth to the shit SF put out and DOA, DB, Tekken etc, etc you learn to appreciate how solid MK's live action is honestly. I mean hell, I'd even watch Conquest over those films lol and that show had a super low budget but the acting wasn't bad and the stories were interesting.
Qonquest was actually really good, I watched all of the episodes, it was a really gun show.

And yeah you are right about the rating and you got a point regarding MKA.

I know right? lol that's what I'm saying lol. Can you imagine an MK movie without those two?

This, not to mention the first MK movie still holds up today as a generally fun film and yes compared to every other vid game movie, arguably the best. A shame more vid game movies can't follow suit. Even comic films today they don't follow exact source material and it bugs the hell out of me honestly. They either go way off source material, have horrible miscastings be it the wrong actor or for forced PC reasons. Arggh. I just hope once they do finalize a script for MK it doesn't go the latter direction and more the MK 1 movie direction.

@Roy Arkon I agree, I don't think an MK film without the two most popular characters(arguably) would do very well and let's be honest here, I think Boon would riot if there was no Scorpion lol. (nevermind the fanbase)
Well like I said earlier, the MK movies didn't exactly followed the lore one for one, hence they have thier own canon, it's just that they were still very true to it and you could they were MK movies. So yes comic films from Marvel and DC also don't go one for one with their source material but they are still very true to it.

Last edited:

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
I realise this.. but at best it is beloved b-grade movie that 90% of the population think is utter trash... I mean I love it.. but I'm also not blind to what they both where.
That's fair. But examples of prior MK movies illustrate rather nicely that issue people have taken with what was shown in the OP has very little to do with budget or even quality of writing and acting. Those were not the best over the course of MK's movies history indeed, yet there were things they at least tried to do right.

As much as I would like to see an MK movie with a great production value, there's something to be noted. From the data above (which is probably as fake as it gets, just like previous 2-3 "leaks") we can take that it could as well be a movie unrelated to MK and nothing would've changed. I've seen enough stuff that tried to piggyback on a well-known title while having nothing to do with what was behind it, and that wasn't... interesting.

It could as well be a fine movie for our simple tastes. Or it could fail spectacularly (Avatar: TLA and Final Fantasy: TSW were both crap even though one was rather true to the source while the other was a complete ass-pull). But that's not the point. Point is, whether it's going to be a good movie for an evening or not, it definitely isn't shaping up to be a fan-oriented MK movie.
It may not be a problem per se. But I'm thoroughly unexcited about prospect of having another generic action movie with what it had for a selling point being almost entirely watered down.

NO

THIS IS TYM. TRIGGERING YOU MOTHERFUCKERS

NO TEARS. NO SMILING. NO HAPPY.

ONLY TRIGGERED.
I dunno about you, but I don't see how what people say here lacks basis. Sure, the info in question is too little to judge the whole thing, should it happen. But we aren't. We comment on what was shown, nothing more and nothing less.

On a side note, hostility of TYM is greatly exaggerated. It may not be an exemplar community platform, but I don't see why so many people demonize it.
Perhaps this is because some people look for a circlejerk platform, echo chamber or "safe space", then yeah, TYM isn't one of those. Which I'm personally happy about because I'd rather have a, you know, constructive platform that can offer criticism where it's due.

The only reason why they think it’s trash is because it’s rated PG-13. Lmao. If you look at the actual MK1 story, there’s only one death that ever happens.
To be honest, I doubt it. Some people are pretty vocal about brutality and gorn being MK's selling point, but if you want some perspective, think that majority of people who watched it back then had no idea what MK is and how it was supposed to look. Hell, even some of alleged MK fans I was hanging out with back then couldn't believe the video game came first, movie second. To them, just as to so many people, video games were some incredibly niche thing and they were not wrong.
And to an outsider it was indeed rather generic action movie, albeit with some unexpected fantasy freakshow in the mix.

This, not to mention the first MK movie still holds up today as a generally fun film and yes compared to every other vid game movie, arguably the best. A shame more vid game movies can't follow suit. Even comic films today they don't follow exact source material and it bugs the hell out of me honestly. They either go way off source material, have horrible miscastings be it the wrong actor or for forced PC reasons. Arggh.
Hey, comic book movies aren't really as off as some video game into movie adaptations were. They may tell completely new stories, but what was par the course for comic books as well, seeing how they ran for decades and went through many reboots. Can't really go off the rails more than that.
I mean, they don't replace speedster Flash with some average Joe kickboxer...

Video game adaptations though, hoo boy. Just see Uwe Boll's shooting spree (Bloodrayne, Dungeon Siege, Hitman) and despair.

I think it says something that DoA was one of the most truthful to a source movies based on vidya.

Last edited:

Cursa

I dunno about you, but I don't see how what people say here lacks basis. Sure, the info in question is too little to judge the whole thing, should it happen. But we aren't. We comment on what was shown, nothing more and nothing less.

On a side note, hostility of TYM is greatly exaggerated. It may not be an exemplar community platform, but I don't see why so many people demonize it.
Perhaps this is because some people look for a circlejerk platform, echo chamber or "safe space", then yeah, TYM isn't one of those. Which I'm personally happy about because I'd rather have a, you know, constructive platform that can offer criticism where it's due.
I meant nothing by it. What I've been saying is I don't know why people took a comment of me yelling in all caps about TYM seriously.

1 like on this comment and I'll go delete it lol

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
I meant nothing by it. What I've been saying is I don't know why people took a comment of me yelling in all caps about TYM seriously.
I can answer for myself here - because allegations of TYM being needlessly hostile shitshow are old and repeated often enough to leave me wondering why is that.

NSR

Also known as Futuretime23
That's fair. But examples of prior MK movies illustrate rather nicely that issue people have taken with what was shown in the OP has very little to do with budget or even quality of writing and acting. Those were not the best over the course of MK's movies history indeed, yet there were things they at least tried to do right.

As much as I would like to see an MK movie with a great production value, there's something to be noted. From the data above (which is probably as fake as it gets, just like previous 2-3 "leaks") we can take that it could as well be a movie unrelated to MK and nothing would've changed. I've seen enough stuff that tried to piggyback on a well-known title while having nothing to do with what was behind it, and that wasn't... interesting.

It could as well be a fine movie for our simple tastes. Or it could fail spectacularly (Avatar: TLA and Final Fantasy: TSW were both crap even though one was rather true to the source while the other was a complete ass-pull). But that's not the point. Point is, whether it's going to be a good movie for an evening or not, it definitely isn't shaping up to be a fan-oriented MK movie.
It may not be a problem per se. But I'm thoroughly unexcited about prospect of having another generic action movie with what it had for a selling point being almost entirely watered down.

To be honest, I doubt it. Some people are pretty vocal about brutality and gorn being MK's selling point, but if you want some perspective, think that majority of people who watched it back then had no idea what MK is and how it was supposed to look. Hell, even some of alleged MK fans I was hanging out with back then couldn't believe the video game came first, movie second. To them, just as to so many people, video games were some incredibly niche thing and they were not wrong.
And to an outsider it was indeed rather generic action movie, albeit with some unexpected fantasy freakshow in the mix.

Hey, comic book movies aren't really as off as some video game into movie adaptations were. They may tell completely new stories, but what was par the course for comic books as well, seeing how they ran for decades and went through many reboots. Can't really go off the rails more than that.
I mean, they don't replace speedster Flash with some average Joe kickboxer...

Video game adaptations though, hoo boy. Just see Uwe Boll's shooting spree (Bloodrayne, Dungeon Siege, Hitman) and despair.

I think it says something that DoA was one of the most truthful to a source movies based on vidya.
Uwe Boll didn't do Hitman, Gens directed 07 Hitman and Bach directed 2015 Hitman. Both, however, were written by Skip Woods. (Same man who did the "script" for Die Hard 5.)

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.

1 like on this comment and I'll go delete it lol
because you are playing off the sentiment in your joke as you not really saying it, and acting like everyone is irrational just for casually disagreeing with it lol

People caught your "joke", and they just disagreed with it. After trying to make an overblown thing out of the reactions in the thread you then immediately backpedal on it and start making an overblown thing about the responses you got, it's just cornball shit lol

Cursa

because you are playing off the sentiment in your joke as you not really saying it, and acting like everyone is irrational just for casually disagreeing with it lol

People caught your "joke", and they just disagreed with it. After trying to make an overblown thing out of the reactions in the thread you then immediately backpedal on it and start making an overblown thing about the responses you got, it's just cornball shit lol
Honest to god didn't mean for it to come across like that, I was just wondering why anyone even replied to it in the first place, or even noticed it at all.

Like, I was expecting people to just read it and go "Oh cool"....

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Uwe Boll didn't do Hitman, Gens directed 07 Hitman and Bach directed 2015 Hitman. Both, however, were written by Skip Woods. (Same man who did the "script" for Die Hard 5.)
Right, I stand corrected.
I guess the impression 2007 one left made me associate it with the rest I've mentioned somehow :D