What's new

New Mame 0.122u5 fixes UMK3 + MK4 playable!

On the changelog of the new Mame Version 0.122u5 there is listed:

MAMETesters Bugs Fixed
umk3059gre [Aaron Giles]
umk3137b5gre [Aaron Giles]

Those are the UMK3 Roms.

I tested it out, so far the only thing that I recognized is, that there are no longer graphic glitches on the select menu & tower select with secret characters open.

*Update*

MK4 finally runs on MAME!

Some screens I made directly from Mame 0.122u5:

I wish they would fix the Sound Glitch. (or did they?)

We usually always played Silent Kombat to prevent lag online.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Sound glitches are inherent to the difference in frequency of the refresh rate and the game rate. If it's running at 53.2 FPS on a 60 Hz frequency, the sound will be garbled for a percentage of time in a cycle. In newer mames, it runs it at 60FPS which makes the sound seem a little drowned but never garbles, but starts out on a delay and gradual catches up. However, there is a sound distortion that even happens in the arcade...but that's if the internal volume is too high. You can put that up over down by going into the service menu.

I haven't seen the UMK3 graphical "color palette" glitch since .119.

Weird, because I read the MAME release notes today about .122 update 5 and didn't see anything about UMK3, but MK4. :shock:

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Just tried out MK4, it runs a bit slow and there are some glitches here and there, I will try some more and see what I can get going.

Disabled a bunch of options and MK4 is running about 42% full screen and 50% 1x windowed. Not bad.

Cool!
MK4 is finally playable!
It doesnt run smooth but its really playable, the graphic glitches are not that bad, the select screen looks bad and Sub Zero smokes like Smoke lol.

With some better speed it could be playable even online.

dreemernj

Ambassador
Shock said:
Just tried out MK4, it runs a bit slow and there are some glitches here and there, I will try some more and see what I can get going.

Disabled a bunch of options and MK4 is running about 42% full screen and 50% 1x windowed. Not bad.
That's a pretty damn impressive speed for it to be running at so soon. This is awesome.

Nice, this is to me the equivalent to a new MK4 combo video, this time for arcade... let's wait for an acurate emulation; how long do you guys think this might take?

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
The biggest notable glitches are transparecnies don't work, so anything like dust, projectiles and Sub's mist look like big chunks. Picture Human Smoke smoke in a 3D designed game. Also the energy bars don't "work". No blue. Select screen runs at 100% though! This is all with sound on by the way.

Can anyone please explain to me how to install this, ive tried looking but couldnt find much help , thanks in advance :wink:

Tim Static

Adminerator
Yeah! MK4! I wish I could play this.....damn tax returns = nice laptop = me playing MK on Mame & Kaileeria (sp?)!!!!! Wuhoo!!!

Arcade MK4 > all other versions of MK4/G

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
How long have they actually been working on emulating it? To me it seems like no one ever bothered and the progress has been entirely done in recent months.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Shock said:
How long have they actually been working on emulating it? To me it seems like no one ever bothered and the progress has been entirely done in recent months.
I think Pat from TRMK.org helped that Aaron Giles get a MK4 jamma board to emulate it straight from the board. There is a thread about some of the progress that was first made in the MK4/G sub forum.

I'd PM Pat here and at TRMK.org....if you dont already have his email.

8)

But yes, this has all been recent, as in the last couple months recent

McCarron

Noob
Yeah I didn't see this thread. All the development has been VERY recent. Since Halloween pretty much. Aaron had some free time and decided to tackle it.

I saw his post about it, and I tried to get Aaron in touch with people who could help him figure the Zeus chips out. Last I heard those discussions are in the very early stages even to this point, if even started. Aaron learned much on his own, but still had a few stumbling blocks. But they have each others contact info and both sides seem focused on one goal, get the emulation done properly. He also had some good ideas on how to optimize the graphics for speed reasons. But I wouldn't expect it to be playable on any computer at full speed anytime in the next 2 years.

I also helped Aaron find a good deal on an MK4 board off of eBay. Too bad, I would have bought it myself otherwise!

Right now Aaron seems to be working on bug fixes for the new year, some contest for charity they have running. I wouldn't expect more Zeus developments anytime soon unless the connections work out the remaining Zeus/Zeus 2 issues.

I tried War Gods today and it runs very good to, without graphic glitches or something.

But I have a pretty fast machine dual core 3.0 ghz so I dont know how fast it works on medium machines.

For some reason I like the trashy style of War Gods lol, its actually not that bad to play.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I will give some of those games a run on this new comp I have. I haven't tried any yet.

KillerMiller said:
I tried War Gods today and it runs very good to, without graphic glitches or something.

But I have a pretty fast machine dual core 3.0 ghz so I dont know how fast it works on medium machines.

For some reason I like the trashy style of War Gods lol, its actually not that bad to play.
Tak and Kabuki Jo own your soul

Sektor

Noob
Excuse me, but can anyone give me a link to a fully working MAME with that patch installed? I can't be bothered installing the thing. I checked it out on the MAME website and all I know is that it's to do with installing some code or something like that.

dreemernj

Ambassador
Sektor said:
Excuse me, but can anyone give me a link to a fully working MAME with that patch installed? I can't be bothered installing the thing. I checked it out on the MAME website and all I know is that it's to do with installing some code or something like that.
I didn't see any mention of patches. I saw people mention a few different versions of MAME. Each version is it's own thing, not patches to a base MAME.

The last version of Mame Plus Plus I saw with netplay was 0.119 but their homepage only has links to download a version of MAME called mjolnir that only emulates Namco S21 and 22.