What's new

Tech - Grandmaster New corner tech

Suntan Superman

Never outshine the Master
1,2 works but you have to play your clone set ups a step further away from the oppenent than usual. All the same set ups work b2, step forward b33, grab into clone will put you in the corner but following that up with f42,1+3 puts them back in the corner. The space allows u to avoid being poke thru the clone and still do your set ups. The 1 in 1,2 will whiff but the 2 will hit leading to 40% damage off the shatter combo. F1,2 after a njp or a 2,4,2 in the corner will allow enuff time to space and clone leading to total desperation...

Well yeah but to cause desperation you can't be predictable. Thus mixing things lol.
You SZ players do too much. You over complicate your own corner game. Throw into clone, Overhead, low OS, be patient and let them hang themselves. Thats all you need. There is no scenario where a jip hits or 12 hits.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Somewhere amidst the overcomplicated gameplay, real innovation is going to happen and they'll advance the character's meta. Just have to tolerate the trial and error until there's a substantial breakthrough.

Somewhere amidst the overcomplicated gameplay, real innovation is going to happen and they'll advance the character's meta. Just have to tolerate the trial and error until there's a substantial breakthrough.
There is no reason for a jip or 12 to hit. For what reason are either of these 2 going to hit? The corner trap works because its simple. Every situation has 1 option that counter 3 or 4.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Thanks man, that's really cool of you.

Can you do it in video form, and then cut to objectively better example of how Predator can do it better? Jk jk.

Looking forward to it!

boba_buster

Noob saibot
We know your way works , the whole idea is to find more and maybe better ways , if we could find a way to incorporate a 40%+ combo into the corner game without increased risk then it would be worth it

boba_buster

Noob saibot
And no offence but everyone who plays subzero shouldn't be a tom brady ice klone , there is different way to play the character

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
I'd like to see Tom's theory on the corner game since I've only read the bits in the GM guide. Once we're all on the same page, we'll be able to communicate better.

I've seen Tom play, and I for one have my differences. I like my ~50% flashy shatter combos. But I take notes from Pro players as well. If I can take his theory and plug it into my game plan, awesome. We can give and take, we're all on the same team yknow

Suntan Superman

Never outshine the Master
You SZ players do too much. You over complicate your own corner game. Throw into clone, Overhead, low OS, be patient and let them hang themselves. Thats all you need. There is no scenario where a jip hits or 12 hits.
Tom, I sub to your twitch and YouTube channels and u are my favorite pro player but your arrogance hinders your progress. Sub zero corner game isn't complicated but there are plenty of times 1,2 shatter would'be won you a match but it's just stupid so oh well.

Last edited:

George Costanza

The Myth, The Legend
Ree301 and boba_buster have you ever watched Tom on Twitch? He explains and goes greatly into detail about Subs corner traps, neutral, etc....
Let the opponent make mistakes and hang themselves <3

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
I follow his yt channel, but I miss his twitch streams for the most part, almost entirely because I don't do Twitter and I don't know when his stream is active.

The best I get is checking for his play on Spooky's channel, etc and then bouncing that off his explanation videos or TYM posts.

Samsara

Resident Cynic
Listen, I like my 50% incredibly situational and highly rewarding shatter combo like everyone else. But at the end of the day my long-knockdown into clone-throw setup is foolproof and loopable. I'll also take consistent 30-40% damage over one-offs like shatter combos. TBH, I think the Sub-Zero meta has expired, all practical options have been explored and in our dire straights we've turned to the impractical for some semblance of hope. GM is stale, Cryo is flawed, and Unbreakable is flat-out garbage.

But hey, we have of a one half of a functioning move in one third of our character; apparently people outside the Subby community thinks that's enough.

Tom, I sub to your twitch and YouTube channels and u are my favorite pro player but your arrogance hinders your progress. Sub zero corner game isn't complicated but there are plenty of times 1,2 shatter would'be won you a match but it's just stupid so oh well.

Its not arrogance, its called exp. I have tried these tactics before and they got shut down quickly. It ended up nothing more then a gimmick. 12~shatter is a trick, a temporary solution to players who dont even know 12 hits low on the second hit. I am not here to discourage you, by all means feel free to use what you believe will work best. I am only speaking from personal exp.

I watched ESL today where a SZ player only won so long as the opponent did not know 12 hit low on the second hit. The very moment that stopped working, the player struggled to really get going.

Last edited:

crosshair271

Sub-Xerox
Try out some of these. NJP, BJP, NJK should give you the perfect space for a shatter setup. Use one or two in a match to throw off your opponent, but don't make it your main strategy. Just a word of caution, if you go for your Shatter 50/50 and it is blocked(12xxShatter/B33xxShatter). Just shatter the Klone and you should be plus enough to try and quickly 50/50 again.

LinKueiLegend

The true Grandmaster
Try out some of these. NJP, BJP, NJK should give you the perfect space for a shatter setup. Use one or two in a match to throw off your opponent, but don't make it your main strategy. Just a word of caution, if you go for your Shatter 50/50 and it is blocked(12xxShatter/B33xxShatter). Just shatter the Klone and you should be plus enough to try and quickly 50/50 again.

Awesome video but that music got me so damn hype. I shouldn't be this hype eating a apple.