What's new

Need help with my PC

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
will update drivers, ive done everything else on that list years ago
Runescape graphics have changed alot since 7 years ago, and if you are still running old school drivers on an old school graphics card then hopefully this sorts it!

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Well, it's a lot less demanding than windows 7. 1 GB is the minimum for Windows 7 so the OS uses all of your memory.
Damn thats heavy.

So basically

clean up and uninstall shit
update graphics drivers
call technician to switch to windows xp

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Runescape graphics have changed alot since 7 years ago, and if you are still running old school drivers on an old school graphics card then hopefully this sorts it!
nah, the technician that came 2 years ago updated them.

Sasuga

Noob
Damn thats heavy.

So basically

update graphics drivers
Well, if you are switching back to XP, you don't need to clean it up unless you are making it dual boot. :)

You could also upgrade your RAM. It's really cheap these days. Maybe ask your techguy about it, because it may be hard to figure out which type you have.

Damn thats heavy.

So basically

update graphics drivers
Microsoft officially ends support of Windows XP in less than a year, at which point it will be considered unsafe to have the Operating System on your computer no matter what. When support ends, any security whole found in the Operating System will not get fixed, and just stay there forever.

So I can't recommend you switch to XP unless of course you plan to not use your computer after a year.

Also, switching back to XP isn't a unilateral gain in performance. Windows 7 is more secure, and runs browser versions that are better optimized and run faster. You won't gain as much performance as you think you would from switching to an older OS.

You're best bet is to switch to an Operating System that is both modern, but has a lower overhead cost on your system, so resources are free to focus on other types of performance: Linux Mint and Ubuntu are have significantly less overhead than Windows 7, but are newer, more secure and updated than Windows XP, I suggest you try one of those out.

Sasuga

Noob
LtLuthor. Thats true, but security is not much of an issue when you only use XP for a single game.

That being said, Qwark28: I really recommend upgrading the RAM, it would make win 7 overall performance sooo much better and saves you a lot of hassle. Your gonna hate rebooting your pc everytime you want to play Runescape. ^_^

LtLuthor. Thats true, but security is not much of an issue when you only use XP for a single game.

That being said, Qwark28: I really recommend upgrading the RAM, it would make win 7 overall performance sooo much better and saves you a lot of hassle. Your gonna hate rebooting your pc everytime you want to play Runescape. ^_^
I believe Runescape, like most of those old browser games, requires Java. An MMO + Java (the most exploited major web technology since Adobe Flash) = extremely unsafe.

True, but that's not relevant to the OS. ;)
It is actually. On any platform, having Java is equally easy to exploit, regardless of OS- but for Linux, the advantage is once someone breaks in, they still can't do anything. On Windows 7, once your in, everythings vulnerable.

But mostly, my suggestion is Linux because it's lightweight. It's not an OS for everyone, and I still need Windows for alot of things, but from experience I have always gotten at least 1 or 2 extra years of use out of an old computer by replacing the OS with Linux once it slowed down, and I was unable to play any games on it anyway.

I'm sure it will do the same for the poster who seems to know his system is getting too old to carry the weight of Windows 7, and it's ridiculously graphic-intensive desktop translucency effects...

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
RAM is your most likely problem, man. Straight up. Solid state memory gets corrupted over time, ECC can only do do much to correct the errors as they happen. You might not need to upgrade, but need to replace it at the very least. Although I would suggest kicking it up to 4GB if you have the funds. ( not cheap if you're using DDR2). Anything more is useless if you're using a 32 bit OS.

Backing up and reloading your OS would probably help a bit as well. It's s good practice to adopt every year or so.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
RAM is your most likely problem, man. Straight up. Solid state memory gets corrupted over time, ECC can only do do much to correct the errors as they happen. You might not need to upgrade, but need to replace it at the very least. Although I would suggest kicking it up to 4GB if you have the funds. ( not cheap if you're using DDR2). Anything more is useless if you're using a 32 bit OS.

Backing up and reloading your OS would probably help a bit as well. It's s good practice to adopt every year or so.
how much would it cost and how do i find out if i have 32 bit or not? i remmeber having 64