What's new

National Fighting Game Ranking Idea

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
The main thing that needs to be realized... is that tourneys need to have a standard when it comes to how they set up pools and brackets. I know it seems like a common sense thing... but i've seen tournaments who run smaller pools for whatever reason... and it is just silly.

I agree that lifetime stuff should still count as well.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
The main thing that needs to be realized... is that tourneys need to have a standard when it comes to how they set up pools and brackets. I know it seems like a common sense thing... but i've seen tournaments who run smaller pools for whatever reason... and it is just silly.
Idk. NEC (84 entrants) ran 4 pools, Winter Brawl (I think it drew 80) ran 8, and I think Brawl's pools ran a considerable amount smoother. But I guess it's all relative to the feel/success of the show itself. If anything, just put it to a vote when the threads & discussions come up and let the players come to a collective agreement, no?

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
Wow

Thank you so much for this

Maybe now people will stop complaining about the "NORTH EAST HAS SO MANY MAJORS"

You forgot Dromstruction on West Coast

I never wanna hear a WC person complain ever again (ie: Wonder Chef)
i dont think anyone should complain. Canada has 2 majors. CCG and Toryuken. one west one east. but we dont complain. we pack our asses up and travel. And were not even eligible for rankings cuz its national. tournaments are a privelage not a right. i like reos idea here. #1 ranked guy and he wants to change it haha. take note pl. thats community involvement.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
I do think Events like EGP had yesterday should be considered as well as some events we have in Atlanta
I don't think events that are not Majors should be given points for how well people do. Considering how we could run our own community based list, we can definitely add a 3rd section that adds locals, but it has to be an official local with a good amount of participants(A limit if I must say) and make it "An Official Ranking Tournament" before they receive points from there. For those TO's who want their tournament to be official, they can talk to us.

Recurring Majors with the are they are held...

EAST COAST:
1. Winter Brawl - Philly, PA
2. Summer Jam - Philly, PA
3. NEC - Philly, PA
4. ECT - NJ
5. Final Round - Atlanta, GA
6. CEO - Orlando, FL

MIDWEST:
1. Power Up - OH
2. UFGT - Chicago, IL
3. Texas Showdown - Houston, TX

WEST COAST:
1. SCR - CA
2. NCR - CA
3. West Coast Warzone - CA
4. EVO - Los Vegas, NV
5. Devastation - Phoenix, AZ
Wow

Thank you so much for this

Maybe now people will stop complaining about the "NORTH EAST HAS SO MANY MAJORS"

You forgot Dromstruction on West Coast

I never wanna hear a WC person complain ever again (ie: Wonder Chef)
No man, you are very wrong here. 3 tournaments in Philadelphia, one in NJ... only 2 hours from PA... lol

One tournament in SoCal, 4-5 hours from NorCal/Las Vegas, 8-9 from Phoenix.

We have all the right to speak up. In fact, the only thing that anyone should be saying is, "Wow West-Coast guys do travel... Las Vegas came down twice in 2 months for our EGP Regional Monthlies, and NorCal came down yesterday.

I'll drive down to San Diego for a tournament any day from SoCal, which is about the same as driving from NJ to Philly. I would know, I spent time in NY with Riu48 and the VSM guys, and we drove to NEC.

Oh, and there is no WCW... Just pointing that out.

EAST COAST:
3. NEC - Philly, PA
4. ECT - NJ
6. CEO - Orlando, FL

MIDWEST:
1. Power Up - OH
2. UFGT - Chicago, IL

WEST COAST:
1. SCR - CA
2. NCR - CA
4. EVO - Los Vegas, NV
5. Devastation - Phoenix, AZ

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
wow I just got an idea for locals because of this...

We should definitely have established scenes like ATL, MidWest, VSM, EGP and keep a track record of their accomplishments in their regional areas, and when its time to bring their skills to a major, we have so much to look forward to from everyone. Sounds legit imo

REDRUM

www.twitter.com/redrum26
No system is perfect though... Im 1000% certain a "proper" system will NOT be 100% agreed upon....

For Example: The Bowl Championship Series aka The BCS (College Football's Most Important Ranking System)... This system dictates and has control over a billion dollar business and this system is EXTREMELY contriversal....

They take into consideration Strength of Schedule, Ranked Team wins and a dozen other very complicated factors and still the BCS is widely considered a joke.

Im just throwing this out there because all these ideas posted make very good sense... But getting the community to agree whole heartedly is a virtually impossible task.

NFGRankings

NFGRankings.com
It's cool seeing everyone interested in the ranking system and ways to improve it. Here are some of the reasons the rankings system is the way it is...

Players Losing Points After 6 Months: Perfect Legend is a good example of why players lose points. The goal is to keep the list as current as possible. While PL is a great player and should be somewhere on the list, he just hasn't competed at a major in about 8 months. In that period, players from all over the country have gotten a lot better. The game is constantly evolving and the best have to keep proving themselves, just like in any form of competition. 6 months allows enough time that players don't have to show up to every single major to get up there in the rankings, but not so much that older performances keep them on top too long. Think about it, would a win at Evo 2011 be worth as much as a win at Evo 2012 with the game evolving so much in a year?

Some have even suggested never losing points as long as you remain active. This just doesn't make sense if the goal of the rankings is to rank the top players as of today, not all-time. Based on that logic, wouldn't Tiger Woods be the number one ranked golfer right now? Don't think you would find many people who would agree with that. If you are currently a top player, you will find a way to place in a recent tournament.

Points Only for Top 8: The main reason for this is that it's very easy to get top 8 results since they are always streamed or reported here on TYM. We would actually like to give points to top 16 for tournaments worth at least 1500 points, but it's not always easy to find those results.

Counting Non-Majors or Locals: Is winning 4 local 32-man tournaments more impressive than placing 3rd at Final Round, Winter Brawl, or Season's Beatings? Not really. Plus, locals test you against many people you play against regularly while majors have people who travel from all over whose styles you may not be ready for. If a player is really good but has a small local scene, he can find a way to place in a major. We have already seen people do it.

I know the ranking system isn't perfect. I don't think any ranking system can be. Still, I don't think anyone would complain that any of the top 20 players don't deserve to be there somewhere.

charlieonline

Search "CaseyJones" for active profile.
2 points for being winner of your respective pool.
1 point for being the winner of loosers.

This is to give credit for players who are good and happen to get wiped by another hot shot before they get out of their pool. Then give points to the top 16 in a manner that won't create too large of a gap.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Starcraft has monthly power rankings that are based on performance. Like Jugg said, WE could do one here....it wouldn't legitimize anything as far as points go but it'd be a step in the right direction.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
Good idea REO with all players that go to majors being on the rankings. it'll give them incentive to going to more majors to try and up their ranking and level up their game.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

CptXecution

Brain Dead Bro
This is my first year in the FG scene but I like the NFG FOR IT'S PURPOSE AND IT SERVES IT. It's a system based on numbers/points/placings alone and you can't fault them for it.

For example: For all our college football fans, BCS is one of the most talked about ranking systems in all of sports and will always be used. But that's why college sports have multiple "polls" (BCS, USA Today/ESPN, Coaches etc.) so this is a great idea to make our own.

My idea would be this....keep the based results on the #of entrants BUT instead of JUST making the event worth more points....expand the results for points...

Every fighting game tournament have these results...

1-4 (4)
T5 (2)
T7 (2)
T9 (4)
T13 (4)
T17 (8)
T25 (8)
T33 (16)
T49 (16)

...I think for EVERY 16 entrants we include 4 more players starting at 32 so it would go like this...

4-32 Top 4
33-48 Top 8
49-64 Top 12
65-80 Top 16
81-96 Top 20
97-112 Top 24
113-136 Top 28
137-152 Top 32
etc
etc
etc

Comments or concerns please feel free but this would allow more players to get recognized and awarded as well as top players playing consistently getting awarded AS WELL as top players who normally place well get rewarded for playing in a high level tournament and not doing as good as they normally do by placing say....17th at FR but getting top 8 all the time at other majors.

Nice Idea! First things that comes to my mind was the ATP Ranking. Tennis has the same parameters like the fighting game tournaments: You get points depending on how u place and they differ depending on the type of the tournament. I think i would be no problem to take their system as a model. The only important thing is to properly rank the different styles of tournaments. But i think Pig is totaly right here. The basic ideas of the ATP Ranking system can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATP_Rankings

REDRUM

www.twitter.com/redrum26
Recurring Majors with the are they are held...

EAST COAST:
3. NEC - Philly, PA
4. ECT - NJ
6. CEO - Orlando, FL

MIDWEST:
1. Power Up - OH
2. UFGT - Chicago, IL

WEST COAST: