What's new

My thoughts on why throws are worthless

RamenO

It Stinks!
Sorry for the Quan Chi resurrection of this thread...

I went against a Scorpion the other day, and he had me constantly guessing with his overhead, low, and throw in his vortex. It was about the only time I've ever felt so helpless in a match, because I didn't know whether to block low, high, or not block at all to tech.

Given the talk of this thread and the life span of this game... Does anyone else feel throws are too powerful given the nature of the tech system? Throws are a 50/50 in themselves.

Gurrry

Twitch - 12DollarStreamMonster
Im sure this has been discussed to no end, but I have to put in my time and rant about it:

The tech system against throws is fucking retarded. Mash buttons? Seriously?

I hate comparing this game to SF because IMO, MK > SF... but holy shit. How did they not just copy what SF did with its tech system? Hitting throw to tech the throw would make much more sense then mashing 1,2 or 3,4. Mashing is not something that should EVER be rewarded. Half the time when I try and tech a throw in MK, nothing happens.

I know its like 3 months into the games release that im talking about this.. but I still had to let it out eventually.

This system is honestly the worst ive ever seen.

Subby

Frost Warrior
Im sure this has been discussed to no end, but I have to put in my time and rant about it:

The tech system against throws is fucking retarded. Mash buttons? Seriously?

I hate comparing this game to SF because IMO, MK > SF... but holy shit. How did they not just copy what SF did with its tech system? Hitting throw to tech the throw would make much more sense then mashing 1,2 or 3,4. Mashing is not something that should EVER be rewarded. Half the time when I try and tech a throw in MK, nothing happens.

I know its like 3 months into the games release that im talking about this.. but I still had to let it out eventually.

This system is honestly the worst ive ever seen.
You don't "mash" buttons. You press a button when you think they are going to throw you. Its as simple as that. You shouldn't be mashing. When I try to mash to get out of a throw, it never works for me anyway.

Gurrry

Twitch - 12DollarStreamMonster
You don't "mash" buttons. You press a button when you think they are going to throw you. Its as simple as that. You shouldn't be mashing. When I try to mash to get out of a throw, it never works for me anyway.
As discussed in an earlier post, by mashing out 1&2 or 3&4, you have about a 90% chance of guessing right and teching it.

By just pressing 1 button, you leave yourself to a 50% chance you will be thrown.

Even if you arent supposed to mash.. or even if I am doing it incredibly wrong.. the system is still the worst there is.

FpS__King

Keep it Free.
It depends on the situation bro. Not everyone is going to do strings up close. For example, if I did a jump In punch and it got blocked. I'm not going to sit there and chip away health. I'm going to get me a free 13% damage and put distance between me and my opponent. Thats my view on throws.

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
This is an old thread but if it hasn't already been said I'd like to add throws arn't even 50/50's. The majority of the time they arn't even broken its not like SC where its completely 50/50 because you can be hold block while mashing a throw break button. Even if you think your opponent wants to throw you in the corner its pretty hard to let go of block then break the throw in time. As a result throws are frikkin amazing.

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
I get pissed with throws when I am in the middle of a combo that involves maybe 2 or 4 and if the first hit wiffs, and they coincidentally start doing a throw, I dont tech it. Annoyance galore.

Already said multiple time that worthless was the wrong word to use because i agree they arent worthless. they are misused and many time done at the wrong time by many players. hilarious to watch a cage player get zoned the whole match, finally get in and start crossover punches and pressure, and then throw and completely let them off the hook and start getting zoned again. i would throw myself if i could and take the 12% damage in that situation.

throws are godlike for ermac and noob because they have no mixup pressure and they want their opponent away from them to zone them. so after a blocked jump in punch i think throw is probably usually the best play with them. but doing it without a purpose other than getting the 12% damage i still think is shit.