What's new

My take on the Hit Box

Yeah buttons, PCB, wire, crimp on connectors or solder, and if your using a PCB similar to mine, you would also need a USB cable. And how much would you pay for the box?

If you dont mind my asking, what was the materials-cost (cost to make)?
Its hard to tell what the price of making one alone would be, since you have to buy a 4x8 piece of wood. If you had all the tools, you could probably make some for like $50-$60. But to do a good job you need a table saw, miter saw, router, drills, hole saws, etc.

Delriach

Sindelly
As a person that actually uses the Hit Box for Mortal Kombat on a competitive level, I have to say that I like the idea of a MK layout. In fact, in my review I actually said that I tried to replicate the layout as much as possible.

However, the layout for this one is far too spread out. It doesn't look like it's as friendly to the hands for that very reason. For example, I use my right thumb to jump. It doesn't even look like I can do that comfortably with this one. The angle of the buttons also don't seem as ergonomically correct as the ones on the official Hit Box. For MK9, there's no need to even have the run button taking up precious space. At least not for the way I play.

If I were to design a Hit Box for MK9 specifically, I would keep the spacing almost exactly how it is on the official Hit Box but just remove the buttons I don't need.

As a person that actually uses the Hit Box for Mortal Kombat on a competitive level, I have to say that I like the idea of a MK layout. In fact, in my review I actually said that I tried to replicate the layout as much as possible.

However, the layout for this one is far too spread out. It doesn't look like it's as friendly to the hands for that very reason. For example, I use my right thumb to jump. It doesn't even look like I can do that comfortably with this one. The angle of the buttons also don't seem as ergonomically correct as the ones on the official Hit Box. For MK9, there's no need to even have the run button taking up precious space. At least not for the way I play.

If I were to design a Hit Box for MK9 specifically, I would keep the spacing almost exactly how it is on the official Hit Box but just remove the buttons I don't need.
For mine, I based the left hand side around a keyboard. I had no intentions of using the jump button with my right hand thumb. I'm also a very wide shouldered person, coming in at an even 6 foot and 265lbs, so narrow joysticks cause me to hunch up. I also put the tag button higher up and further left than on the PDP MK stick as I never ever wanted to hit it accidentally.

Here is a poor shot of my hand on it. My wrist is at a weird angle because I was standing over it and holding the camera, but you can see it fits my fingers exactly.

I made several cardboard cutouts before I settled on this one. After playing with it for several weeks now though, I kind of wish that spaced them out a little bit more, and added another 2 inches or so of wood to each side.

But thank you for your input, I never expected to get commented on by a competitive player.

Delriach

Sindelly
Yeah, it comes down to whatever works best for you. I feel like I'm more efficient when my hands are closer together. Have you tried the official hitbox yet? It feels great on your hands. But if that angle and spacing works for you then I can't really criticize at all. It's just something to always keep in mind if you were to ever make one for someone else or something like that.

The right hand thumb for jump was actually recommended to me by one of the Hit Box guys. I was using my left hand to control all the directions when I first started. Never again once I got used to it. It's all a bit of a learning experience.

Have you tried the official hitbox yet?
Nope. Your video review is about the only official thing I have seen about it. I was originally going to buy one, but I had found out that some people were already on the waiting list for months, and I really didn't want to put up with that, so I decided to run with this idea instead.

When it cools down some I might make some with my style movement keys and a Vewlix layout to use with some of the other fighters.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Delriach, if you don't mind me asking, how long did it take you to get yours? I'm on the waiting list but I might go the route of iXanthan if it's going to be 6 months.

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
I've been trying to figure out everything necessary to build a hitbox like yours for xbox. I ordered myu buttons and have plans ready for the box, but I don't know everything that I need to get to make it work, pcb etc.

I have a sf4te that I've taken apart and have the parts from to use. I have two mk te sticks. so I have boxes and parts to look at as an example, but what I'm really looking for is a list of, 'here's what you need to order to build this from scratch'

A list of parts would help me out greatly!!!

Talyn

The Mad_Hattr
LL 22 AWG Stranded Wire

LL Quick Connect, .110" Insulated

Toodles ChimpSMD "The ChimpSMD can be used by itself as a complete standalone PS3/PC control board just like a Cthulhu, but where the ChimpSMD shines is in a dual mod with a common ground Xbox360 controller. The ChimpSMD cannot be used by itself on an Xbox360 console, but if installed with a hacked Xbox360 controller, the ChimpSMD will auto-detect the Xbox360 and hand control over to the Xbox360 board for true plug-and-play performance on both PlayStation 3 and Xbox360 systems."

Xbox 360 Controller

Neutrik NAUSB-W-B A/B USB Feed-Through

StarTech USB Cable, Male A/B, 1 Foot Black

StarTech USB Cable, Male A/B, 10 Foot Black

Seimitsu PS-14-GN 30mm Pushbutton

Seimitsu PS-14-DN 24mm Pushbutton

All this stuff except the xbox controller is available at www.lizardlick.com

EDIT: and of course, you need the box to put it in :D

Due to high demand, here is my parts list.

The Electronics:
10x Seimitsu 30mm GN Screw-In Buttons
6x Seimitsu 24mm DN Screw-In Buttons
1x Toodles Cthulhu for Multi-Console
1x Neutrik NAUSB-W-B A/B USB Feed-Through, Black
1x StarTech USB Cable, Male A/B, 1 Foot Black
1x StarTech USB Cable, Male A/B, 15 Foot Black
Alot of LL 22 AWG Stranded Wire
A bunch of these LL Quick Connect, .110" Insulated

To build the box itself I used: (See your local hardware store to find all of this stuff)
1/2" MDF Wood
1/4" Paneling
a 2x4
Generic rubber feet
Coarse drywall screws
Spackling
Kilz primer
Krylon color spray paint
Krylon clear coat spray paint

Of course you can vary this in any way that fits your application, like if you only planned on using it in a 360, it would be cheaper to just pad-hack a Madcatz 360 controller and use that PCB. You could also skip out on the neutrik and the 1 foot usb cable if you wanted to save some money. And after making several boxes with MDF, I would suggest using a good grade of plywood instead, because MDF gets dust EVERYWHERE, it took me a week to clean out the garage lol.

Talyn

The Mad_Hattr
I forgot to ask man, how much cable did you use? Cause Im gonna get 10'. I have no idea if its enough or not

Plus: when you got the pcb, was it on back-order? if so, how long did it take for you to get?

You mean for wiring inside? I would get alot more than 10'. You will need like a foot or so for each button. I'm not sure how much I used because I already had a ton of wire leftover from when I had a job.
Items like the PCB go in and out of stock really fast on lizard lick. I think they sell them as fast as they can stock them. I wanted to get a 360+ from a different website but its release date kept getting pushed back. Then I wanted a ChimpSMD but it was out of stock. And then the MC Cthulhu came in stock so I jumped on it. I also ended up with blue buttons and paint because blue buttons was the only color that they had enough in stock for in both sizes. But after having it, I like the blue.

Abudabi

Noob
Well if you want an official hitbox the guaranteed way is to just go to a tournament where hitbox is selling it and pick it up there. The waiting list is ridiculous, they don't even give you a number or eta, it just says "you are on the waiting list" and leaves you high and dry.

Regarding the right thumb for jump in the case of Xanthan's box, I suppose you can use the unused run button as jump if needed.

Delriach

Sindelly
Delriach, if you don't mind me asking, how long did it take you to get yours? I'm on the waiting list but I might go the route of iXanthan if it's going to be 6 months.
The HitBox people were at ReveLAtions and that's where I got mine. Your best bet is to go to an event and get one.

Regarding the right thumb for jump in the case of Xanthan's box, I suppose you can use the unused run button as jump if needed.
Yeah, that sounds like a good idea actually.

aj1701

Noob
For mine, I based the left hand side around a keyboard. I had no intentions of using the jump button with my right hand thumb. I'm also a very wide shouldered person, coming in at an even 6 foot and 265lbs, so narrow joysticks cause me to hunch up. I also put the tag button higher up and further left than on the PDP MK stick as I never ever wanted to hit it accidentally.

Here is a poor shot of my hand on it. My wrist is at a weird angle because I was standing over it and holding the camera, but you can see it fits my fingers exactly.

I made several cardboard cutouts before I settled on this one. After playing with it for several weeks now though, I kind of wish that spaced them out a little bit more, and added another 2 inches or so of wood to each side.

But thank you for your input, I never expected to get commented on by a competitive player.
I'm probably in the same boat as you. Did you ever try to use the classic xbox smaller controllers? I couldn't use them at all, too small. The orginal xbox controllers were perfect size for me.

Glad to hear this is working well for you. I'm hoping my AIAB stick works for me, but if not I might be attempting my own hit box as well.

Talyn

The Mad_Hattr
Hey iXanthan, I just got the box from UPS, It looks fantastic! I cannot thank you enough. Now all I need is the PCB from Lizardlick.com to come in. I'll post pics when I get it all set up.

Dark Kobra

Hitbox™ Enthusiast
Guys if you are having problems ordering parts fromn Lizardlick because they are out of stock, then you may consider www.gremlinsolutions.co.uk..... They do ship internationally and accept all major credit cards including payments via PayPal. Just incase you want the PCB board or the Black / White buttons, as they are on pre-order at Lizardlick. Just ordered mine, so should have them in a couple of days.

Dark Kobra

Hitbox™ Enthusiast
Finally got the pieces, just need to drill the holes and wire everything up!!! Going to spray all the panels before I do anything else, but I've attached an image to give an idea on what the final product will look like! Any advice on graphics etc, or how to wire up the thing would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!!

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
Finally got the pieces, just need to drill the holes and wire everything up!!! Going to spray all the panels before I do anything else, but I've attached an image to give an idea on what the final product will look like! Any advice on graphics etc, or how to wire up the thing would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!![/IMG]
Looking good, Kobra!

Hey, would you people really suggest the MK layout over the SF one? I don't play any other fighting games, but I'm not sure if the mk layout convinces me, due to the fact that it's layout doesn't look as ergonomic as SF's or Hitbox's.

Also, any idea for artwork that looks cool with yellow buttons? Preferably MK related!

Dark Kobra

Hitbox™ Enthusiast
Looking good, Kobra!

Hey, would you people really suggest the MK layout over the SF one? I don't play any other fighting games, but I'm not sure if the mk layout convinces me, due to the fact that it's layout doesn't look as ergonomic as SF's or Hitbox's.

Also, any idea for artwork that looks cool with yellow buttons? Preferably MK related!
Thanks Bro!!!

Well you could mix and match the graphics in there for all your games!!! The characters I have on the graphic are all characters that I play. I'll be probably doing another one with maybe a SFIV character, but I don't klnow yet because I have never played SFIV or Super... So I have yet to select a character ;). I didn't play it because I was retired ;). But obviously MK has brought me back out of it :D

Anyway, back on topic. The layout for the actual Hitbox style does accomodate for SF or MK..... I believe Delriach posted a video on where to put the block button.

What type of arcade stick do you use at the moment??? The original Style with the Run button is for mainly MK3 and UMK3, although you could probably use the MK layout. Personally for me??? I'm going with the Hitbox style layout as it can be customizable to work on SF, MK, Blazblue (if thats your bag), Tekken, SCIV..... you can configure it for all..... IF you do an MK style, then although you could possibly use it, it would be difficult for the likes of SF, Tekken, SC if they are your type of games....

The only advice I can suggest is think about how your MK style will function in Street Fighter. Will all the buttons be easily accessable to you???

In regards for artwork, let me know what backgrounds you like and I'll see if I can cook you up some kind of graphic!!!

Thanks for the complements bro!!! Almost ready to do the drilling for the buttons and to wire the thing up!!!!