What's new

My Matchup Chart For GL

4x4lo8o

Noob
Yeah, but remember Ares has those multiple teleport locations now.. So you can inch forward all you want, but if he wants to get away once you get in, he can usually do so. So most of the match against a good Ares isn't fought up close until it's on his terms.

Also, his trait can knock you out of the air with ease if you're using the jumping rocket, giving him time to do whatever.
GL can punish all of those multiple location teleports. And even if he doesn't punish the far ones, the recovery on those is so long that a half decent GL player should at least make up any space he lost before Ares can move. The only way Ares is actually gaining anything off of those far teleports is with meter.

Axe can knock GL out of the air, but if it does it usually only hits once and does less than 5% damage. Then Ares has to wait 9 seconds before the next one. Sword is similar, but it's less good at knocking you out of the air and by using it he's giving up combo damage and his ability to punish certain things for 9 more seconds.

Also, why are you jumping? The only reason you need to jump while you're getting in is if you jump a fireball, and that should be done on reaction - in which case you're not getting hit with trait

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
Aquaman: 4.5-5.5
Ares: 6-4
Bane: 6-4
Batgirl: 4.5-5.5
Batman: 6-4 (Could be better than that for GL)
Black Adam: 6-4
Catwoman: 5.5-4.5
Cyborg: 6-4
Deathstroke: 6-4
Doomsday: 5-5
Flash: 5-5
Green Arrow: 4-6
Grundy: 5-5
Harley Quinn: 5-5 (could be 4-6, not enough experience in this mu)
Hawkgirl: 6-4
Joker: 6-4
Killer Frost: 4-6
Lex Luthor: 6-4
Lobo: 6-4
MMH: 4.5-5.5
Nightwing: 5-5
Raven: 3-7
Scorpion: 5-5
Shazam: 6-4
Sinestro: 4-6
Superman: 4-6
Wonder Woman: 5-5
Zatanna: 4-6 (could be worse, same as harley)
Zod: 4-6

This is my GL matchup chart that everyone is going to start hating on in 3...2...1...
nah
these numbers are far too generous

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
7-3 with Joker? Joker's projectile is faster and he can freely build meter with teeth/gun at full screen. However the biggest problem with this matchup is if Joker gets 1 knockdown GL is in a guessing game because of his trash wakeups. I'd say 5-5 and I might even give the Joker an advantage if there's a interactable stage bounce on the map your playing but let's not get crazy. I really don't get where people get 7-3 in this MU, I play Emperor Darks Joker a lot and I'd say he takes 70% of those games, maybe more. He's a better player than me though so maybe I haven't learned the secret.

God yes to the Zatanna numbers and I'd give Cyborg 6-4 over GL, not 7-3. If GL manages to get in Cyborgs in a bunch of trouble. Solid list overall though.
Air rocket gets over gun reliably enough. Granted, air rocket at that height can be dashed under for a punish. And the knockdown thing goes both ways. Remember, GL's oki offense can be super smothering.

Cyborgs that can do actual iaNBs show how hard the matchup is. Admittedly my only experience is online for the character, but I feel like the matches I had would be a lot different due to the better consistency at iaNB.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
GL can punish all of those multiple location teleports. And even if he doesn't punish the far ones, the recovery on those is so long that a half decent GL player should at least make up any space he lost before Ares can move. The only way Ares is actually gaining anything off of those far teleports is with meter.

Axe can knock GL out of the air, but if it does it usually only hits once and does less than 5% damage. Then Ares has to wait 9 seconds before the next one. Sword is similar, but it's less good at knocking you out of the air and by using it he's giving up combo damage and his ability to punish certain things for 9 more seconds.

Also, why are you jumping? The only reason you need to jump while you're getting in is if you jump a fireball, and that should be done on reaction - in which case you're not getting hit with trait
Because if you are trying to zone him out on the ground with the slow rockets it's open season for him. If he hits you with trait, the recharge doesn't matter much because he's going to use the advantage to set himself up however/wherever he wants and go to work.

I still don't see how the zoning in this MU is in GL's favor.

I've never played a against a good ares that stayed close in this matchup. It's only people that don't know how to play the MU that stay close and play footsies.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
7-3 with Joker? Joker's projectile is faster and he can freely build meter with teeth/gun at full screen. However the biggest problem with this matchup is if Joker gets 1 knockdown GL is in a guessing game because of his trash wakeups. I'd say 5-5 and I might even give the Joker an advantage if there's a interactable stage bounce on the map your playing but let's not get crazy. I really don't get where people get 7-3 in this MU, I play Emperor Darks Joker a lot and I'd say he takes 70% of those games, maybe more. He's a better player than me though so maybe I haven't learned the secret.

God yes to the Zatanna numbers and I'd give Cyborg 6-4 over GL, not 7-3. If GL manages to get in Cyborgs in a bunch of trouble. Solid list overall though.
6-4 GL.

I'm a nobody, but who cares?

Aquaman: 6-4
Ares: 5-5
Bane: 5-5
Batgirl: 4-6
Batman: 5-5
Black Adam: 5-5
Catwoman: 6-4
Cyborg: 3-7
Deathstroke: 5-5
Doomsday: 5-5
Flash: 5-5
Green Arrow: 5-5
Grundy: 7-3
Harley Quinn: 5-5
Hawkgirl: 6-4
Joker: 7-3
Killer Frost: 5-5
Lex Luthor: 7-3
Lobo: 5-5
MMH: 4-6
Nightwing: 6-4
Raven: 4-6
Scorpion: 5-5
Shazam: 7-3
Sinestro: 4-6
Superman: 5-5
Wonder Woman: 5-5
Zatanna: 3-7
Zod: 4-6

Now marvel at how shit my list is.

187x

Noob
imo

joker 6-4 (not 7-3)
cyborg 4-6 (not 3-7)
Shazam 6-4 (not 7-3)
Grundy 6-4 (not 7-3)
Bane 6-4 (not 5-5)
Aquaman 5-5 (not 6-4)
Zod 5-5 (not 4-6)
Flash 6-4 (not 5-5)
WW 6-4 (not 5-5)

Last edited:

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
imo

joker- 6-4 (not 7-3)
cyborg 4-6 (not 3-7)
Shazam 6-4 (not 7-3)
Grundy 6-4 (not 7-3)
Bane 6-4 (not 5-5)
Aquaman 5-4 (not 6-4)
Zod 5-5 (not 4-6)
GL doesnt beat Bane and Zod is heavily in his favor, other than that i agree

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
For the record, I still say 4-6 as far as Ares goes, but it's a better 4-6 IMO thanks to the new teleports.

4x4lo8o

Noob
axe can only be stuffed if i throw a fireball out first, also if GL gets air rocket happy cant you just teleport? i do see how Ares could struggle if GL was about mid range throwing rockets but id expect you to godsmack, tele, or trait to get breathing room
Axe can be stuffed on reaction at some ranges. Go try it.

And all of those things(Godsmack, tele, trait) are punishable. So yes, if GL is literally just sitting mid-range throwing rockets then Ares can do those things. But if the GL player is playing the match up and trying to bait those things and move in(why would he even try to zone when he dominates up close?) mixed with some zoning, then those aren't good options for the Ares player.

Because if you are trying to zone him out on the ground with the slow rockets it's open season for him. If he hits you with trait, the recharge doesn't matter much because he's going to use the advantage to set himself up however/wherever he wants and go to work.

I still don't see how the zoning in this MU is in GL's favor.

I've never played a against a good ares that stayed close in this matchup. It's only people that don't know how to play the MU that stay close and play footsies.
Wasn't the argument you just used that you can't use jumping rocket because of Axe? Now you can use jumping rocket for 9 seconds? What set up is Ares using that gains him 9 seconds to use Axe again?
I don't even think this is a match up where Axe is very good, it's risky to throw out from most ranges and you don't get much, but you can't tell me how good it is then tell me those 9 seconds when he doesn't have it don't matter.

The zoning isn't in GL's favor overall. It's just not in Ares favor on parts of the screen, and the places where it is isn't enough to make up for where Ares loses in the match up.

No good Ares player tries to stay close, but no good GL player lets Ares stay out. I'm not sure what the argument you're trying to make here is. I'm definitely not arguing that Ares should play the match up close, I've clearly stated that Ares loses up close and the discussion about zoning is only to point out that the advantage Ares has in zoning isn't enough to make the match even. GL can get in too well

Last edited:

JDM

Noob
I think Aqua loses to GL. I also think Lantern beats Batman. I cannot for the life of me beat a Doomsday player but I'll chalk that up to inexperience or just the fact that I suck.

Superman is probably more even now than a losing matchup.