What's new

My CEO Experience.

E

Eldriken

JUST A HEADS UP: Somewhat of a long post.

Jeeze, where to start? This was probably one of the most exciting times I've ever had in my life. I'm not even joking. It has been a long time dream of mine to be able to attend AND participate in a fighting tournament. To have finally been able to do so was definitely like a dream come true.

To start things off, after arriving at the venue and picking up my pass and buying my wife's spectator pass, I had no idea where anything was being held. The only contact I had besides @AK Pig Of The Hut was @sinosleep. I sent Sinosleep a text telling him I was at the venue but had no idea where to go. We met up by the spectator pass area, introduced ourselves and I introduced my wife to him as well.

He showed me where the Injustice set ups were located and we decided him and I would get some casuals in. He had played Chillin' (an MMH/Aquaman player) earlier in the day and explained that he had lost quite horribly because he hadn't been able to adjust to the noticeably different timing on an ASUS monitor. I told him that I had heard that the timing was completely different than what you're going to be used to, even if you play offline at home.

He was not far off at all. When we first started, I couldn't even dash forward and do d1~Earth Shake. I would dash forward and get a raw Earth Shake. I was like, "DA FUQ?" But it was in a good way. I was used to having to slightly delay my inputs due to how they register online and that didn't happen here. Your inputs came out the second you hit the button. It's unreal how much something like that can alter your timing. I easily spent 3-4 hours playing casuals with Sinosleep and Chillin'. It felt like it was only 30 minutes at the most because of how much fun I was having.

Then came along @Kitana Prime. I told him who I was and he said and I quote, "I know who you are. I could see Doomsday in your eyes!" I couldn't help but laugh and neither could my wife. He sat down and played some games with me and showed me just how well he knew the Doomsday MU. The dude is no joke at all. He also gave me tips on certain things while pre-emptively determining what I was going to do, LOL. I thought to myself, "...shit, am I THAT predictable or is it just him knowing the Doomsday MU that well?" I think it was both, but more along the lines of him having a lot of MU knowledge.

I also got to meet @Cal-EL before leaving, which was certainly a pleasure. Kitana Prime and DMS (I prefer that name, sir) are definitely an interesting duo. Laughs are to be had when they're together, that's for certain.

I also had the "pleasure" of going 5-0 against @gross in a $10 MM. The $10 was well "spent" however. After I paid him, I was getting up and he told me to sit back down and restart the match. He took the time to show me what to do after certain strings and what not that I had NO clue about. That, my TYM friends, is why this community is fucking amazing. They have ZERO problems with telling you how to play against their character better. None at all. They don't look at it like they're putting themselves at a disadvantage, but instead, lets them have a better match with you because they can give it their all and put all their tech to use.

All of the above was from my first day there. I'll post about my second day below.

Enter day 2. The day. My time to "shine", or so I hoped.

While waiting for the tournament to get started, I got to meet a ton of other people. I got to meet @AK SaltFace, @Tm_whiteboi, @I$AAC, Rahsaan, and so many others that I can't even remember all of their names. It was thrilling to meet all of these people. It was something I had never expected to have been able to do.

*insert lots of talking to people while waiting for my first match*

About 10 minutes before my match, one of the TOs, Gueedo (I think that's how you spell it?) tells me that my first match is on stream. I'm like, "O. M. F. G." But to my surprise, despite thinking that, I had not one ounce of nervousness. No pit in my stomach. Nothing. It probably had a lot to do with almost EVERYONE telling me that I wouldn't have any trouble at all beating Floe.

Well, it's finally time for my match and I step into the cage, still not nervous. Thank God, y'know? Nerves can screw you. We get set up, do our button check, shake hands and restart the match. I don't even remember what I was thinking the entire time I was playing. I heard nothing other than the game. Nothing. I didn't even realize I had tuned out everything other than the game until the match was over.

Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I feel that I convincingly kicked Floe's ass. If you think otherwise, don't try and steal my thunder, damn it. But as soon as I won, I thought to myself, "YES. I AM NOT GOING 0-2! I accomplished my initial goal!"

Next up, Rahsaan! I had never seen the guy play before, but Pig had told me he was very good with Zod. Well, he did. Much better than what I was accustomed to. He beat me 2-0, but I didn't let it affect me at all. I still had another chance and I wasn't out yet!

Next up was a Flash player who I don't recall their name. I'll be the first to tell you that Flash is a MU that I simply dread and tend to psych myself out over. Much to my own amazement, I didn't allow this to happen and I won! Chalk me up to 2-1 in my first tournament!

Next up was Chillin' who I had played for quite a while in casuals the previous day. I beat him as well, which put me at 3-1. I was feeling more and more confident by every match.

My next match (yet again, I don't recall their name) was against a Raven player. I wasn't really too worried about it because it's Raven, y'know? Probably one of the easiest MUs in the game for Doomsday. The dude picks Killer Frost. Killer Frost was at one point my personal Kryptonite. But thanks to @Rickyraws, I wasn't sweating it. I beat his Killer Frost so convincingly that he went to Raven the next match and lost again. That puts me at 4-1.

Then...it happened. Gueedo said to me, "You player the winner of those two playing" and pointed at who he was referring to. My fucking heart sank, I tell you. One of the two he was talking about was none other than Noobe himself. You guys simply cannot blame me for feeling nervous about that. He's one of the best Doomsday players, period. This was one of the few times that I was like, "PLEASE LOSE, NOOBE!" Nothing against him at all, I just did not want to face him, of all people, in a Doomsday mirror.

Well, obviously that wasn't my luck. But you know what? I got over it. I told myself that I was going to give it my all no matter what because it's what I came here to do. Noobe may have beat me 2-0, but I don't feel that he completely obliterated me at all. I held my own for the most part and that's better than what some other people can say. Not trying to talk shit about anyone, mind you. So no one take it as such.

So, at my first tournament ever and being an online warrior, I went 4-2. I ALMOST made it to Top 16. I could not believe it. Would I have loved to make it into Top 16? Hell yes. Am I mad/upset that I didn't. Not at all. I did so much better than I thought I would have, which is something I can live with.

So, I owe a lot of thanks to people like @Kinetic Demise, @AK RM Blake, @Rev_ and several others that had convinced me to go when I was having doubts and had decided that I was going to flake out and not go. I owe you more than thanks, but that's all I can really give you guys.

Also, you were right, Blake. I would have missed out on the opportunity of a life time by not going and I am so very glad I went.

I only had one issue during this entire time and it's something that shouldn't have bothered me, but the nature of it just floored me. I was playing casuals with someone and the guy was legitimately getting angry with me (or so it seemed due to his tone) for asking a specific question and then stating I didn't know something. Effing sue me for not knowing you can just hold clash to make it come out instead of having to press it when you want to clash. Being all like, "JUST HOLD IT!" is pretty fucking uncool. Then, when asking if he wanted to do a button check, he was like, "It's just casuals! If your buttons aren't right, just pause it and change them during the game!" The last bit may not be verbatim, but it's close enough.

All in all, I enjoyed my stay while I was there, met a shit ton of cool people and will be attending CEO next year.

RelentlessOhio

Divekick x 1000
From what I saw on the stream the cage setup was pretty cool lol.

I just hate that during top 16 the venues Internet started to go haywire on Funky's stream.

I$AAC

Kombatant
Ggs to you as well @Eldriken. I needed to Slade/DD matchup experience. Also I had fun playing the ever-so-comical doomsday mirrors lol. Hope to run into you again soon.

E

Eldriken

Ggs to you as well @Eldriken. I needed to Slade/DD matchup experience. Also I had fun playing the ever-so-comical doomsday mirrors lol. Hope to run into you again soon.
I think I need to relocate to an area closer to people who play this damn game. It sucks not having an offline scene at all where I live. >:|

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
I'm glad you decided to attend an offline event ( I remember you making a thread expressing your feelings on not feeling you were "good" enough to go). Offline events are 90% social and the experience always trumps how you finish in the tourney (unless you get top 16, then shit gets real ;) )

I always lose my first match at every major I attend because playing on the lagless monitors are so....weird. Then you start to adapt and it's godlike.

My fondest memories from the past two EVO's and Final Round is getting the chance to meet so many members and what not. Gratz' on attending!

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
I saw you get a few input errors, I know you didn't mean to air grab so often and that you were going for d1 salt shaker, but well done man! :D

AssassiN

Warrior
Good to hear you were having a good time, didn't realize you were going until I saw your name on the stream.
You played good, feel free to him me up on XBL or PC if you want to play some games again.

E

Eldriken

I saw you get a few input errors, I know you didn't mean to air grab so often and that you were going for d1 salt shaker, but well done man! :D
Aye. If you try and do it too fast, you get an Air Snatch. I'd say that 99% of the time, it screws you. But that 1% of the time, you catch them because they went to jump and you win because of it. You can play it off as a good read to further piss 'em off if you want, LOL.

@Eldriken I would like to personally thank you for not only asskicking that diabetic, girly voiced asshat Floe, but also because it was your very first match.
Haha. You're welcome, sir. It was my pleasure.

Watching you rape floe was hilarious. Poor bastard probably didn't know es went overhead to low.
I think he blocked it once. I could be wrong, however. I was too caught up with Earth Shaking him to death in the corner. =O

That's what the bar Is for!
Also great matches, your doomsday was solid
I don't drink. :p But thanks, I appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
that was very nice of gross to help you with that matchup info. He could have just took the money and left, but he actually helped you level up. good shit