What's new

My 5 hour change of heart toward Freddy (long post)

VIDA

Focused Grace and Intensity
That's right, in competition and I know this board is big on tournaments and all that but I'm willing to bet only a small percentage of people who even post on this board go to tournaments. If you do go to tournaments and need to learn his matchup, then yeah, you'll have to shell out the $5. Otherwise, you're not being forced to buy it. Also, if you go to tournaments that means you've most likely dropped $130-200 on a reliable stick and if you're even good at said tournaments, most likely you're making some amount of cash in some way, shape or form. So I honestly doubt that $5 is going to break your wallet.

Or, hell, if you have a friend in real life who owns Freddy you can go over to his house and play some MK to test out Freddy, it's not exactly rocket science.
They dont even have to shell out 5$, they just have to dl the FREE compatibility pack that will come with free skins. On that note its not like every decent player online will main or even alt Freddy lol. And anyways, for tourney xp I would imagine you wouldnt care too much about a char concept and visual presentation compared to actual gameplay and matchup practice.

Kwon

---->----
Also, if you go to tournaments that means you've most likely dropped $130-200 on a reliable stick and if you're even good at said tournaments, most likely you're making some amount of cash in some way, shape or form. So I honestly doubt that $5 is going to break your wallet.
It has nothing about breaking a wallet, it's about principle.

Even if being a resourceful millionaire, one would not spend 2 $ on a turd.

Abudabi

Noob
If he turns out to be high tier and not banned it would be disadvantageous to not get him to know how to fight against him for tournament

This is the only problem i have with Freddy, up until EVO so many people claimed MK would die afterward and even more people would talk down the game during the top 8 ( anyone who watched the livestream would know this) needless to say MK proved it deserved to be at EVO. Then NRS does something like this and releases a gimmick character just so WB can make some cash from it. Any other MK i wouldn't have had a problem with Freddy but with this one where people already believed it was going to die this just makes the MK community look like a joke. Imagine if the next big tourney we have Freddy (and eventually Jason) make it to the top 8 what does that say about the game? We'll just have to find out tomorrow if he is insanely broken and everyone hops on him like Kung Lao and Cyrax or is he is in shit tier with Sheeva and Stryker.

This is the only problem i have with Freddy, up until EVO so many people claimed MK would die afterward and even more people would talk down the game during the top 8 ( anyone who watched the livestream would know this) needless to say MK proved it deserved to be at EVO. Then NRS does something like this and releases a gimmick character just so WB can make some cash from it. Any other MK i wouldn't have had a problem with Freddy but with this one where people already believed it was going to die this just makes the MK community look like a joke. Imagine if the next big tourney we have Freddy (and eventually Jason) make it to the top 8 what does that say about the game? We'll just have to find out tomorrow if he is insanely broken and everyone hops on him like Kung Lao and Cyrax or is he is in shit tier with Sheeva and Stryker.
I don't agree, Freddy got ppl who don't play MK talking about it again. That's all that matters, the hate is all synthetic anyway. Who cares what haters think? Most of them are too young to even know what MK is all about. Besides 90% of those people are just internet trolls who just follow along with whatever anyone does.

making him shit tier will make sure he never makes to a tournament while nrs still isnt doing anything wrong. its perfect. plus he wont be seen nearly as much online as if he was high tier. just look at sheeva. nobody ever picks her.

If freddy is anything better then lower mid tier (high teens, low 20's) then nrs has made a huge mistake, i dont wanna see him be garbage, but i definetly dont want to see him be a viable tourney character, he should be very noob friendly, as he is really meant to attract new players, i'd like to see him be a lot like scorpion basicly, high basement low cieling kinda character

People worry so much about Freddy at tourneys when we got Kung Pao over here with his low hat ending strings that are BS and other glitches/bugs. Let's not worry because if Freddy is high tier he will be at tourneys and if he is low tier, Reo will pick him up and make him high tier. So either way Freddy will be high tier. So, just pay the 5 bucks and stop whining. The principle of the matter argument is BS, how about new players who just get MK and wanna go to a tourney with their main freddy? They find out he isn't allowed, oh well looks like they don't go and the MK scene doesn't grow. So you go to tourneys with 30 people instead of 50 get less exposure and money. But you get the moral victory of Freddy not being at tourneys, have fun paying for your airfare with moral victories.

VIDA

Focused Grace and Intensity
did u guys even read my post? Why are you posting ur silly hate here? This is the change of heart thread, not the generic bitch about freddy for made up reasons thread.

Even ppl i meet in person bitch about this. cmon, its silly slasher brand in MK. Stop acting like this has some serious implications for the tourney scene. If anything the high level players like Konqrr and others on here like the idea of trolling you with him.

Even before my change of heart I didnt think this was gonna affect serious play at all. In fact I knew it would increase exposure overall, which trickles down to tourney interest/exposure. This "oh noes this attack the legitmacy" is a ridiculous made up reason to make you guys feel better about hating him.

My only problem with him now is that he's a symbol of repressed homosexuality, repressed sexual/social uneasiness, repressed pedohpile victim memories, repression in general, neglect and prob other things in the movies. Really tho, even considering that, he's just caricature/brand name from a VERY well known slasher series in a video game. It doesnt make sense to interpret and therefore fabricate as being any of those things in the context of this game.

I dont mean to bash u guys, but u are and have been overreacting over NOTHING. Just relax lol.

And why are people hating on disc characters here =/. Freddy is a welcome addition in my opinion and anyone that can draw blood and perform a fatality will be a welcome addition in my opinion =P. Anyway don't get me wrong I was really hoping for a character from the already limitless options of the MK universe (I would love to see Hsu Hao again personally but alas that may never be), but anyway there is no reason to hate (especially before he's even released), and why hate on Stryker and Sheeva. I use both of them in online play and I consider myself above average =P, of course I'm not going to trash talk anyone on here for putting them down cause I really don't know if I could take you on with Sheeva or Stryker but its due to my inexperience with them not cause they're low tier. People on this forum seem to put way too much emphasis on tier, but who cares? If a character is fun to play then play them, I personally love Sheeva's play style but OH NO she's low tier so I guess I'll never play her again (sounds silly right?). Anyway Kruger's not out yet and I agree completely with a previous post that stated MK 9 has so many annoying bugs and flaws now (still a near perfect game IMO) that worrying about a crossover character should be the least of our concerns. Can't wait to actually get good with him and use him well on online play and receive tons of hate mail =D.

Justice

Noob
Let me put it this way, this game has outsold MvC3. That's a fact, you can look up the numbers yourself, it's outsold it.

Yet MvC3 still brings in bigger numbers at tournaments. Why is this? Well MK has a larger casual audience than most fighting games. So it makes great business sense to cater towards a more casual audience with a guest character like freddy. To the casual audience, they're going to be more interested in freddy kreuger than the other DLC characters.

That being said, I still think NRS should focus more towards the hardcore fighting game community. The game being in tournaments and being streamed only helps them and is basically free advertising. Having people who play other fighting games getting into MK is a good thing and I think will increase sales.

So hey, as long as he's balanced and as long as he plays well I don't mind if freddy's in the game.
MK has never gotten the respect it deserved simply because it has always been "gimmicky". Even back in the day with MK1 in the arcades going head-to-head with Virtua Fighter and SF2, players wrote it off as "that game with all the blood". As long as MK has these "gimmicks" it will never get respected. BUT, take away those gimmicks and you lose MK.....

That's all we can hope and pray for is that the streams and vids of awesome players performing insanely devastating combos and other things will "konvert" more people and educate that there is more fighting games out there than the crap Capcom puts out.

Gurrry

Twitch - 12DollarStreamMonster
I had the same exact realization as the OP. I fucking hated Freddy when it was announced. I was so hype for that day.. I woke up early as shit and hurdled over my keyboard hitting refresh on TYM every 5 seconds. Then.. it was like a big giant fart just crept its way into my mouth and crushed my dreams.

After the initial shock passed, I came to terms with him. The only problem I have with it is that its a cheap ploy to get casuals in and make money. That isnt something I support. While it may seem like its going to help MK in the long run, I have a feeling it could make NRS believe that every game from here on out needs a guest character. That isnt a situation I want to be in necessarily. Id like to think MK can survive off of its own IP and own community rather than having to add in Pikachu or Mario for quick sales.

Im still not sure I will buy Freddy. He seems super OP at the moment. I am very on the edge with him. I know I will be in the "00000FREDDY" room today on PSN destroying people with Sub Zero as they pick Freddy. I will consider that my revenge on NRS then make the decision on whether or not to buy him.

aj1701

Noob
MK has never gotten the respect it deserved simply because it has always been "gimmicky". Even back in the day with MK1 in the arcades going head-to-head with Virtua Fighter and SF2, players wrote it off as "that game with all the blood". As long as MK has these "gimmicks" it will never get respected. BUT, take away those gimmicks and you lose MK.....

That's all we can hope and pray for is that the streams and vids of awesome players performing insanely devastating combos and other things will "konvert" more people and educate that there is more fighting games out there than the crap Capcom puts out.
Just remember that's a failing of other people that write the game off as gimicky without taking the time to sit down and explore it.

They can say whatever they want, doesn't mean shit unitl they learn and understand the mechanics. if all they've got is "oh, it has blood." Well, that's just lame.