What's new

My 5 hour change of heart toward Freddy (long post)

VIDA

Focused Grace and Intensity
As I said in the "So who's next" thread, I wathed the IGN video posted thinking it was some joke some cg artist made as a joke. I clicked for shits and giggles while tuning into the live blog, waiting for the legacy ep coverage to finish.

Then as I watched the video I thought to myself "Hehe this is a really well done joke vi'...umm...this looks...this is a joke video right...this isnt a joke video is it...aw shit."

Needless to say I was letdown. I didnt expect to be blown away at all by the reveal cause the only things that mite tingle me particularly were chars from the arcade endings, maybe Fujin, heck even cyber entity with part of raiden's spirit from his arcade ending. Was never crazy about hydro, Tremor or Cyber Smoke for some reason but meh w/e.

But then I saw this cheesy yet famous caricature from one of the biggest franchises in horror movie history...who I personally never cared for. A crossover I heard rumours for and laughed at it came true.

So I was letdown, and still am, to a degree.

However, as I got over the initial "wtf" shock/gripe I had with the whole idea, the sureallness and postive funkiness of the whole thing started to sink in, and I became more and more pleased with how this will give the game MEGA mainstream exposure, which Im sure can trickle down to tourney exposure (tbh its one reason why SF has such a huge brand loyalty).

I showed the reveal trailer to some buddies I train with and they all lost their shit when Freddy appeared after Kano. Theyre actually gonna buy the game now, and it just feels cool that this movie icon could sorta make me share some of my MK fandom with their new found MK fandom.

Its like Brock lesnar in the UFC. Apart from his asshole personality he started out with, he was met with disdain for being some prowrestler who's coming in to contend, using very much his size and strength to get by. But really, it mostly just did and has done good for the sport.

Cause here's the thing: when youre hardcore anything, it does feel a little damaging to your sens of uniqueness and identity as a community when casuals get involved, and when higher ups seem to cater to them. But mainstream exposure not only gets more money going, it gets more activity and hype all around going. If casuals annoy you, you can ignore them, us their new found interest to get them hardcore, or just not evevn be aware or in contact with them.

A casual will always be outside of the community, and when they start integrating into the hardcore community, they become hardcore and are obviously a welcome addition.

NRS has been VERY much about the hardcore MK community. Cmon guys they really have been. Its spoiled for us to bitch when they gotta cater to the mainstream at least a LIL. Nothing about this IP crossover is game breaking in itself. Actually, his gameplay looks interesting, like a mix of heavy rushdown and aggressive zoning...without thinking too much on it right now that is.

Btw I honestly never minded Kratos at all, think he actually fits pretty well considering he is heavily inspired by greek mythology while MK is very heavily inspired by asian mythology. And I realized that me being cool with him from the get go is cause I dig him and GOW to begin with, while Freddy not so much, and thats not fair of me or any1 to be like that. Like if Spawn was the guest char I would love it, and hat on all the haters, and again thats mostly just wrongful favoritism, regardless of how much better he fits as a crossover or not.

So am I completely happy about the announcement? No not really. Did this feel like a troll job? A lil yeah, but its a very surreal and fun troll job to have gone through, and Im cool with the idea now along with the good things it will do for the game and NRS. Hopefully you guys see this to, welcome Freddy or his compat pack or at the very least ignore him and enjoy this still wonderful game.

I didn't care much about Kratos either. But that was because he was BANNED from tournaments.

Now we're pretty much stucked and forced to learn another silly matchup if we want to keep up with other players that are going to jump on the freddy bandwaggon. To me it's just more dumb gimmicks I'll have to deal with and probably another bad matchup for Stryker. So I can't say I'm really happy about it.

Now hopefully NRS will concentrate on what's REALLY important.

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
im starting to calm down now. It's just that majority of the ppl who picked up the game aremost like a fan of MK. I know that not everyone takes the game seriously, but they still pick up the game because of the MK universe. I highly doubt they picked it up in hope that some random chars will make it into the game. To be honest, if this is NRS take on testing the water for something else that's fine. They should just make a MK vs Whatever they want. They could add freddy, jason, valdomor (not sure im spelling it right lol), dark vader, the boogeyman...etc. I just dont want this mk to be flooded with guest characters when the hardcore fans would beg for one of the zillions mk characters that are already part of the universe. I tried my best to understand the ppl who are on board with this, I can only come up with (1) they are a huge fan of freddy (2) they dont care (3) cant wait to troll with him (4) I dont know maybe one of the ppl in favor of freddy can add a comment lol. You would think that they would save the best for last, i guess that's why im so disappointed. plus i dont really care about freddy, never had. but im cool with it now. I still have a choice on whether to buy him or not lol... so at the end of the day I cant really stay in rage mode forever lol

thwak

Noob
Let me put it this way, this game has outsold MvC3. That's a fact, you can look up the numbers yourself, it's outsold it.

Yet MvC3 still brings in bigger numbers at tournaments. Why is this? Well MK has a larger casual audience than most fighting games. So it makes great business sense to cater towards a more casual audience with a guest character like freddy. To the casual audience, they're going to be more interested in freddy kreuger than the other DLC characters.

That being said, I still think NRS should focus more towards the hardcore fighting game community. The game being in tournaments and being streamed only helps them and is basically free advertising. Having people who play other fighting games getting into MK is a good thing and I think will increase sales.

So hey, as long as he's balanced and as long as he plays well I don't mind if freddy's in the game.

Kwon

---->----
It's just that majority of the ppl who picked up the game aremost like a fan of MK. I know that not everyone takes the game seriously, but they still pick up the game because of the MK universe. I highly doubt they picked it up in hope that some random chars will make it into the game.
I sure didn't pickup the game for Freddy Krueger, Barney, Popeye, Yoda or Edward Scissorhands! :D

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Who care's about cross over. This is good publicity. The only thing I'm worried about is shelling out $5 for a shitty novelty DLC. If it's a cash grab, then fuck NRS. If he's good, then happy day. This can be a very positive thing.

mesk

Noob
Who care's about cross over. This is good publicity. The only thing I'm worried about is shelling out $5 for a shitty novelty DLC. If it's a cash grab, then fuck NRS. If he's good, then happy day. This can be a very positive thing.
Well of course he will be a one of the better fighters,just like the other DLC.Crappy DLC kombatants dont make $$$$$

JrK

Probably Drunk
Now we're pretty much stucked and forced to learn another silly matchup if we want to keep up with other players that are going to jump on the freddy bandwaggon. To me it's just more dumb gimmicks I'll have to deal with and probably another bad matchup for Stryker. So I can't say I'm really happy about it.
You would have to learn another match up regardless of who was released.

Now hopefully NRS will concentrate on what's REALLY important.
They have been. Just because it isn't important to you doesn't make it any less important to others or even from a business perspective.

Kombo

Noob
I really am ashamed at the nerd rage I threw yesterday to the realease of this dlc. I mean to be honest Freddy is probably going to be alot better than the dlc characters we already got(sad but true). He looks pretty hype though I must admit. But most of the people supporting this I can't tell if they're more fans of Freddy Krueger or just being trolls. Now people are coming out and saying we shouldn't take this game seriously when the reason its gotten as far as it has is because of us taking it seriously. I mean I wanted someone else like Shinnok but Freddy is okay and better than most of the other characters people were considering. I really don't think NRS wanted to do this. This just spells WB here. I guess thats why they're giving us UMK3 Sub something that most people(well, me at least I could care less bout anyone else) have been looking forward to since release to compensate for this. As for Freddy I don't think I'm going to buy him for obvious reasons but he does fit kinda. So we will see how this works out. But the marking out people having been doing over this is pathetic.

CrashLand

Ready for Freddy
I keep hearing that Freddy's for the casuals, not for the hardcores... can you imagine what the reaction would have been if Freddy was a secret character in MK2? It would not have been a negative one, I promise you.

Getting Freddy as DLC is like if Santa Claus brought me a flamethrower for Easter: it would be a huge shock and totally random, but I'd still be pretty happy about it.

I bought the season pass myself so it was pretty much buy 3 get one free. I will gladly take Freddy as my free one :)

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Havik

Noob
Somehow it was implied the chars where not getting beter after rain. I was verry disapointed and even threw tantrums like stephen quire does on youtube. I would so not have had bought the season pass if i knew i was going to despise the last char. Kratos was kick in the balls for us xbox users. Not only kratos, but kenshi's first fatality in the end with the eye looks like a 3d movie not beng seen in 3d on the xbox and makes you wonder how it looks on a ps3. this just reminds you how biased nrs is. its like a conspiracy. 1) the klasic skins pack was a rip off to those who already had a klassic kostume. 2) i didnt get skarlet right away because of some issue in the season pass. 3)kenshi came in late. 4) rain's compability pack free skins sucked( im not biased I play jade). 5)and the 4th's problem was.... freddy krueger.

we canot say we're okay with it when we are not if we want to avoid this happening again

aj1701

Noob
Don't be ashamed Kombo, it was just a natural reaction.
Right, and I think they pretty well expected it. It worked for them, it was only way they'd actually live up to the hype. Love or hate it, this has people talking about MK.

Epic troll on NRS part, but at this point you've got to laugh. And he looks like he might actually be pretty cool.

Somehow it was implied the chars where not getting beter after rain. I was verry disapointed and even threw tantrums like stephen quire does on youtube. I would so not have had bought the season pass if i knew i was going to despise the last char. Kratos was kick in the balls for us xbox users. Not only kratos, but kenshi's first fatality in the end with the eye looks like a 3d movie not beng seen in 3d on the xbox and makes you wonder how it looks on a ps3. this just reminds you how biased nrs is. its like a conspiracy. 1) the klasic skins pack was a rip off to those who already had a klassic kostume. 2) i didnt get skarlet right away because of some issue in the season pass. 3)kenshi came in late. 4) rain's compability pack free skins sucked( im not biased I play jade). 5)and the 4th's problem was.... freddy krueger.

we canot say we're okay with it when we are not if we want to avoid this happening again

dude... what the fuck are you talking about? lmao

Juro

Noob
I sure didn't pickup the game for Freddy Krueger, Barney, Popeye, Yoda or Edward Scissorhands! :D
Then don't get him. That's the beauty of optional DLC, you're not being forced to buy shitty characters. Freddy fits a hell of a lot more then Kratos in my opinion and he looks like he'll be a solid fighter.

What annoys me, personally, about Freddy is two things;

Two Claws.
No Robert Englund.

I could be wrong on the second one, seeing as how we've only heard a, drowned out by music, laugh from him and no actual speech, if he even has any and doesn't end up like Skarlet (HIYAAA over and over).

---

Okay, two things.

One, enter key is your friend. Two, why do you have to wear a tinfoil hat and think NRS is out to get Xbox players? It's quite obvious why Xbox didn't get an exclusive character. Microsoft didn't want any of their icons murdered in gruesome ways because it would shatter how their games are seen.

I mean, imagine all the tears people would shed if they saw Master Chief/Marcus/Ryu, the only 3 big names I could even think of they would toss in as an exclusive, were just dismembered and humiliated?

Kratos for PS3 is banned from tournaments anyways as far as I know, so who cares about him honestly? I mean thank god he is banned anyways being able to do 34% with only 3 button presses.

Kwon

---->----
Then don't get him. That's the beauty of optional DLC, you're not being forced to buy shitty characters.
Not that simple.

People are forced to play him in the future Tournaments after EVO.

If you want to be able to stand a chance against him in competition, you'd also need to buy him to learn how he works and how to defend against him.

Juro

Noob
Not that simple.

People are forced to play him in the future Tournaments after EVO.

If you want to be able to stand a chance against him in competition, you'd also need to buy him to learn how he works and how to defend against him.
That's right, in competition and I know this board is big on tournaments and all that but I'm willing to bet only a small percentage of people who even post on this board go to tournaments. If you do go to tournaments and need to learn his matchup, then yeah, you'll have to shell out the $5. Otherwise, you're not being forced to buy it. Also, if you go to tournaments that means you've most likely dropped $130-200 on a reliable stick and if you're even good at said tournaments, most likely you're making some amount of cash in some way, shape or form. So I honestly doubt that $5 is going to break your wallet.

Or, hell, if you have a friend in real life who owns Freddy you can go over to his house and play some MK to test out Freddy, it's not exactly rocket science.

TrickyNick

Weather Man
After reading what Boon said about the whole thing makes more since to me. Pretty much they had no intention of making Scarlett it was always a bogus rumor, but he had always had the intention of making Freddy but couldn't find a opportunity till now. So im happy with it and glad Boon got his chance to show off Freddy.

Abudabi

Noob
just how much of an upset would it be for freddy to win a future major? In the end I don't think it matters much although I think he won't ever be regarded seriously regardless of how he plays for the competitive scene