What's new

MvC3 gameplay.

Shock

Administrator
Administrator
Founder
O.G.
Yeah the new voices will be tough to deal with. To me this looks just like TvC, the modifications to the gameplay and what not, the style. Everyone has air dashes, trips to juggles for free, looks like unrollable which is what I think happened in TvC. The range on the uppercut launchers is ridiculous.

Dark_Rob

Champion
My advice is do not get this game if your prone to epileptic seizures. My goodnes, I got dizzy watching that. lol

oBryant

Apprentice
blah blah blah

Tampa will own this, tampa will own that. WHy dont Tampa starting showing at tourneys, putting down the big money, like EC and WC do?
Lol look at last final round. 9th place Prince martinez. and all of tampa placed top 35 at least. And FL took home the team tourny.

Don't know if I've mentioned this here, but the game is in fact being handled by the TVC team. It's being developed in-house using Capcom's MT Framework engine (all of their main games, RE5, DMC4 etc.).

SFIV and SSFIV were developed by Dimps, another Osaka based studio comprised of former Capcom developers who worked on SF in the 90's. As good as those games were, the dumbed down input requirements didn't sit well with older fans, but they were/are 100X better than TVC IMO.

dreemernj

Ambassador
Just watched a recording of Seth talking about MvC3 at E3 and the discussion of simplifying input made me not want to play the game :-/

Not a big fan of SFIV and SSFIV I take it? It was definitely a step backwards in that regards, but I think we should worry about *gulp* wall to wall combos.

Also in regards to a PC version, it'll happen. I mean with their engine, they have all the reference material on PC so it'll take a few months to get a PC code running. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if they released an arcade version in Japan, since Namco has a PS3-based board already.

dreemernj

Ambassador
I liked SF4 quite a bit. I didn't think the shortcuts made much of a difference. And they didn't impose a mandatory easy mode like it sounds for MvC3. At one point it sounded like he was describing a popup button to make it easier to do air combos.

I think it'd be fun and go the other route. Take away the shortcuts from the versus games and go back to COTA style with things like manual superjumps after popups.

I don't play SF4 now because everybody moved to Super and there's no PC version for me to play. I've been considering a console too, but it just doesn't seem worth it for the inferior graphics and the difficulty it would present given my favorite control scheme is keyboard. AFAIK there's been no mention of SSF4 for PC which leads me to believe they are ditching PC for fighters in general.

I guess it's depends how you look at it; the dumbed down commands irked a good number of people while others just coped.

Anyway, I see where you're coming from and not sure if keyboard controls are possible at all with the PS3 version either but visually, there really isn't much of a big gap even at 1920x1080. Check out this mini comparison gallery of the 360 and PC versions running at 1080p (native on PC and upscaled on 360):

http://www.eurogamer.net/gallery.php?game_id=8676&article_id=648794

And no, there isn't mention of a PC version even for the RE5 DLC. Though Dead Rising 2 is hitting stores with the console versions in August.

Shock

Administrator
Administrator
Founder
O.G.
I still hate the way the game looks, sounds, and most importantly, plays.

If I had the money, I'd reserve the game. As it stands, I just bought NBA 2K11, a new controller, and NBA Jam. My spare cash is pretty much nonexistent until MK comes out.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Lead Moderator
If I had the money, I'd reserve the game. As it stands, I just bought NBA 2K11, a new controller, and NBA Jam. My spare cash is pretty much nonexistent until MK comes out.
Its only $5 to pre-order regular version and probably $10 to pre-order collectors edition, fyi. once you have that, you can either use it like layaway and pay it off smaller amounts at a time or wait till it comes out to pay it off.

Shock

Administrator
Administrator
Founder
O.G.
My problem is how much it looks like it will play like TvC. My biggest gripe is the 3 button attack system and lack of normals, which basically go hand in hand. Getting deeper into that, it seems like they made things that never comboed in previous game, comboable in these because of the fact that there are less attacks.

My problem is how much it looks like it will play like TvC. My biggest gripe is the 3 button attack system and lack of normals, which basically go hand in hand. Getting deeper into that, it seems like they made things that never comboed in previous game, comboable in these because of the fact that there are less attacks.
I played MvC3 at New York Anime Festival, and in a way it kinda does play like TvC only with more buttons. When I first played it I had no idea that your attack buttons were the three on the top row and on the bottom the short button is the launch button and the last two were the tags. To be honest I think it's going to take a lot of getting used to. It was tough for me to nail some aerial rave combos with most new characters. And the combo statement is definitely true. You can definitely combo with a proton cannon with Iron Man alone. I thought the way it looks like TvC was my problem but at least it looks better (specials look more sharp) and character performances are more promising than TvC and in a sense you will know which attacks you are throwing out compared to TvC once everyone gets used to the characters and their attacks.

Its only $5 to pre-order regular version and probably $10 to pre-order collectors edition, fyi. once you have that, you can either use it like layaway and pay it off smaller amounts at a time or wait till it comes out to pay it off.
Yeah, but I don't have $5 or $10 at the moment, and when I got it, I planned on just throwing it down on MK.

Shock

Administrator
Administrator
Founder
O.G.
The issue with having 3 attack buttons would be fine if you still had all your attacks and there was a definitive standard on how your perform certain attacks. For example, if as is, all three buttons were punches, and when I say punches I mean for example:

Ryu's Jab Strong Fierce with their respective animations, then all the D+attacks would be ducking kicks, and D+B or forward would be ducking punches, B+standing would kicks, I think it'd be ok. They could get away with having three buttons this way. But instead, you have like, a standing jab, standing forward, standing fierce, then F+ what is his MK would be the overhead, B or F+ Fierce is RH, D+F is trip, D+F+Fierce is launcher. Why is there a launcher button? In TvC there was another button as well, and a special type attack that required combination of buttons. That is a massively ridiculous waste, when you could have the MvC2 layout and retain all the normals. Hell why not have a pro layout that uses all 6 buttons plus those two extra buttons PS3 and 360 have. In TvC I also hated how you could launch off trips for free. Makes no sense other than to fill in missing comboing. This still exists in MvC3. You could combo off trips in previous games but they removed that since it was broken.

A big problem I had with MvC2 was you lose a number of naked normals with characters through the 4 button + assists system. The animations still exist in the game, but you only see them in combos. It ruins some characters, and I always like to point out how Venom gets nerfed because his ducking MP was so good in MvC. I think one of the only standard replacement methods is for launchers that were standalone attacks, like Jin for example, D+F+Fierce = his standing MP from MvC, same for Venom. For Cable it gets confusing at times because he has F+moves and D+F+moves that are different than standing and ducking. There are plenty of other characters that lose out. But in TvC, 30% of the normals are straight up gone. It's an unnecessary level of dumbing down.