What's new

Match-up Discussion Mr. Mileena's Tips on beating Kenshi

So, over the past 2 or 3 months, Pig of the Hut and I have been playing the Kitana vs Kenshi matchup immensely.

He picked Kenshi up for Kitana, and I had no idea how hard this matchup can be for the princess.
Throughout these months, Pig has gotten the Kitana matchup SPOT ON, as he performed very well at Final Round with him.

Now, as he learned the Kitana matchup, I was learning the Kenshi match up as well.

Pig of the Hut, in my opinion, has the BEST kenshi out there.
His spacing combined with his zoning (as well as no fear of using meter) proves kenshi to be a devastating match up for Kitana.

Now before I give my insight on this, please remember, in no way am I saying that this is in Kitana's favor, or even(5-5), this is still a BAD matchup (4-6) for kitana.

But hopefully I can help fellow Kitana users.

Tips:

Tip number 1- Dash blocking is your BEST FRIEND. It is important to have this down and to react to his zoning accordingly, and block them accordingly and correctly. The key is not to be in his face, the key is to be at about jump kick distance or F2+1 distance to punish any whiffed rising karmas, shoulders, reflects, jump ins, etc. You can be at 2,1 distance as well, but this is very risky. He can easily put you in mixups, frame traps, etc.

Tip number 2- Throw your air fans!!!! - (this is probably THE MOST CRUCIAL TIP) People laugh at me for saying this, but Pig of the Hut knows throwing fans can ruin Kenshi's game. Yes he can reflect, yes, when he reflects he can tele flurry or overhead, and what not.
The important thing about this is, he cannot constantly throw out projectiles without getting hit, not only this, if you throw your fans really fast, and he reflects it, the fan will disappear and not hit you, as you throw out another fan.

This puts the kenshi player grounded, expecting to reflect fans, (sometimes realizing its too late and taking the chip damage, or sometimes missing it and eating 8%)
Another thing is that this causes you to build meter! Which is important in my next tip.
(EDIT) : I'm not saying to spam air fans 24/7 but to throw them out often.

Tip Number 3- Ex fans- Now, this one is really tricky, you have to be spot on for this. The key is to bait out any special from kenshi, and punish with ex fan, and quickly dash once or twice and proceed to punish. You have to be very careful as to not get hit by it yourself from a reflect. time it right, and youll get 40%+ punishes for his whiffed attacks.

Tip Number 4- Patience and Staying Calm- You cannot finish a block string, and proceed to d+1, jump, grab, 2,1 etc etc, his tackle will prove to be devastating. instead, calmly back up, and bait him. You cannot be up in his face, you have to react on mistakes. Kitana pressure will NOT work on kenshi.

Tip Number 5- Know Kenshi's distance on his specials- Know where kenshi's falling swords(dont know the name of it lol) fall. Sometimes he may do a far one, into a medium one, but if you feel he will do that, block the far one, and throw an air fan, which causes him to miss the medium distance one, and get hit.

Tip Number 6- Duck Dash the tele flurry- The tele flurry can be duckable, so dash while pressing down, which causes you to duck under the tele flurry, while moving in at the same time, and then proceed to block and move in.
This is very common when a Kenshi reflects a fan, simply duck it, and move in.

Tip Number 7- Save your meter for Ex fans + breakers.

I will try and upload matches with pig in the future, I just got my new ps2 pad, and it is HELL ON EARTH to get used to.
Please post any other detailed questions, and I will try to answer them.

I hope this helps you guys, love you guys :D

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Mil...pig always tells me that your kitana is the only one who knows how to deal with kenshi. Everyone should listen up to this guy. He is one of the smartest players out there and can break down the match in a way that will make you scream.

I have now sworn that I will never again lose to a kitana in a tourney and this is because of kenshi and NW. I swear it now. NO kitana will EVER beat me in a tournament again! When played right kitana can out up a fight but kenshi has an easy upper hand on her.

Good read didn't know I could duck the telefurry. I recently picked up Kitana and I agree Kenshi is one of her worst match-ups. BTW Mr. Mileena your Kitana is my idol lol the videos up on youtube of you using her are fun to watch.
Thanks lol

My next major is next month, but I havent played offline since Devastation, so I hope i dont get blown up lol

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
What do you usually do when you get a knockdown?

What do you usually do when you get a knockdown?
If I am closest to the corner, i ass away, and then make him closer to the corner. Proceed to corner him.

If not, I sometimes do 2,1,2 , f2+1, or i simply bait him (especially if he has meter)

You have to be very very patient and calm with Kenshi.

Espio

Kokomo
Although this was intended for Kitana mainers, a lot of these tips seem applicable to the rest of the roster in dealing with Kenshi, great stuff:).

mekane

Noob
Tip Number 4- Patience and Staying Calm- You cannot finish a block string, and proceed to d+1, jump, grab, 2,1 etc etc, his tackle will prove to be devastating. instead, calmly back up, and bait him. You cannot be up in his face, you have to react on mistakes. Kitana pressure will NOT work on kenshi.

Tip Number 6- Duck Dash the tele flurry- The tele flurry can be duckable, so dash while pressing down, which causes you to duck under the tele flurry, while moving in at the same time, and then proceed to block and move in.
This is very common when a Kenshi reflects a fan, simply duck it, and move in.
I am kind of a noob on Kenshi matchup so bear with me, but I don't understand these 2 tips.

#4 - wouldn't d1 beat out "tackle" (I assume this is Spirit Charge) 6 frames vs 8 frames. at point blank, can you not cross over a Spirit Charge for a full combo? If you block Spirit Charge, you are at +10 frames according to the frame data, doesnt that get you a free JIP, or at least let you start pressure again? So to me, in theory, it seems like you still want to be in Kenshis face, since you clearly lose the zoning battle.

#6 - if you just started a dash, and press down, you don't crouch right away, kind of annoying. Do you need to have cat like reflexes to be able to pull this off... Can you dash - block - duck to avoid this move completely? Or should you walk - duck?

Tip #3 sounds tough.... I don't suppose the hitbox on this Ex fan can go under Tele-Flurry?

I am kind of a noob on Kenshi matchup so bear with me, but I don't understand these 2 tips.

#4 - wouldn't d1 beat out "tackle" (I assume this is Spirit Charge) 6 frames vs 8 frames. at point blank, can you not cross over a Spirit Charge for a full combo? If you block Spirit Charge, you are at +10 frames according to the frame data, doesnt that get you a free JIP, or at least let you start pressure again? So to me, in theory, it seems like you still want to be in Kenshis face, since you clearly lose the zoning battle.

#6 - if you just started a dash, and press down, you don't crouch right away, kind of annoying. Do you need to have cat like reflexes to be able to pull this off... Can you dash - block - duck to avoid this move completely? Or should you walk - duck?

Tip #3 sounds tough.... I don't suppose the hitbox on this Ex fan can go under Tele-Flurry?
#4, at maximum close range, yes, but should he ex it, rarely can it stuff it, but most of the times you will eat the ex version of it.
Should he block a d+1, you're at -15, meaning, you'll get tackled.
Crossing over Kenshi is easier said than done, he can ex spirit charge, etc.
And again, it's all a footsie game.
Kitana can still throw out her air fans, but if you plan to be right in his face 24/7, i can assure you will lose

tip number 6, just dash down dash, if you see a tele flurry, just hold down.

number 3, no ex fan doesnt go through, if you're far away, and want to get in, timing a whiffed kenshi attack with an ex fan can grant you range, and many times, a full combo punish

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
Dash, down 3 (sometimes even d4 with Sub-Zero :) )is what I use to get underneath flurries while closing distance. It works on all duckable projectiles.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Kitana has banished you from Edenia once, and it will happen to Kenshi again.

There are two things Kenshi will see:
1. The rise of the Edenian princess after her fall.
2. Why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch
Kenshi eats oatmeal and Kitties

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Although this was intended for Kitana mainers, a lot of these tips seem applicable to the rest of the roster in dealing with Kenshi, great stuff:).
This. Definitely a multi-faceted analysis. Mr. Mileena = <3. Fucking Kenshi...
To me, he seems like one of those guys who you HAVE to play as in order to better understand, especially as far as learning his specials' spacing & how fast/slow he can react. You can study frames all day, but it's not quite the same as feeling for it in real time/swordliness...yes, I think I just made that a word.

Kenshi eats oatmeal and Kitties
You'd think the kitty would have the good sense to run for it since he CAN'T FUCKING SEE.

Pig, it seems like you've put the whole damn MK universe on notice as far as Blind Fu.
I think I may buff up my pocket swordsman just to properly honor you.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Solid guide, Joe!

Now I just need to start working on tips to help Sonya players improve their chances against Kenshi. Fuck that blind motherfucker up the anus! HE WILL DIE.