What's new

Tech - Drunken Master Mostly Loopable, DRINKLESS Anti-Wakeup Tech for Drunken Master

Forbidden_Donut

"You think you bad? Pffft, You ain't bad.."
What's up guys, I've been labbing Bo Rai Cho hard and I absolutely love this character! I found this cool little setup that doesn't require you to setup drink at all. Basically, you just end your combos with njp into b4, hold down and you can then blow up the majority of wakeups in this game. There are some exceptions to the rule because they either travel too far or recover too quickly, but this works for the fast majority of characters. It even works on almost all xrays. I've made a video, hope you guys like it!

I haven't seen anyone do this but if it's been discovered and I somehow missed it, sorry!

I'll tag a few of you that I know play this character and others that I think care

@YOMI FOREVER KING
@The_SNKE
@AK L0rdoftheFLY
@ThaTrueNinja
@Everlast
@Blind_Ducky
@Malarkey
@SOLEdier
@DabJr 187
@daddydab32ho
@YOMI RM JagoBlake
@Decay

Cosmos

Noob
The only issue is that on reaction to the meditate stance you just don't wakeup and crouch block. If you 1 you'll corner yourself and get checked with a d1. 2 and 3 both get blocked crouching and full combo punished and 4 you put yourself mid screen and lose all momentum. It's a nice setup but I don't see it working once people know the matchup aha

BigMacMcLovin

B2s and Birdarangs
I'm tellin you, people are talkin about all the wrong characters and letting the real ones go under the radar.

@Rude this is half of what I was talking about right here.
Have you played BRC? The meditate roll is practically the only above average thing about him at the moment. It's nice tech but the opponent can just D1 Bo right out of the roll before he has a chance to do anything.

This is baby stuff when you see what the broke-bots are capable of.

BigMacMcLovin

B2s and Birdarangs
No I haven't played Bo Rai Cho, and most likely never will, but I have played one of the best players offline against his Bo Rai Cho for long sets as recently as two days ago and the character is amazing. To simplify it by saying "just do this" is no different than me saying "just armor or block and punish" when people talk about CSZ setups. It's never that simple.

Once Bo gets into a rhythm or can make the right reads he can eliminate my entire game for rounds at a time. I've been full combo punished for trying to zone. I've been full combo punished for making the right read on counter armor. I've been full combo punished for using my best string. Etc. Once people master this variation and it's MUs I don't see why it wouldn't be top tier and his best.
His neutral game is ass. You can literally low profile all of his starters and stop him dead. Everything takes sooo many frames to come out and he has gaps everywhere.

Without this he's Jason pre-patch tier.

Cosmos

Noob
No I haven't played Bo Rai Cho, and most likely never will, but I have played one of the best players offline against his Bo Rai Cho for long sets as recently as two days ago and the character is amazing. To simplify it by saying "just do this" is no different than me saying "just armor or block and punish" when people talk about CSZ setups. It's never that simple.

Once Bo gets into a rhythm or can make the right reads he can eliminate my entire game for rounds at a time. I've been full combo punished for trying to zone. I've been full combo punished for making the right read on counter armor. I've been full combo punished for using my best string. Etc. Once people master this variation and it's MUs I don't see why it wouldn't be top tier and his best.
You playing (insert supposed top level player here) is not an argument as I seriously doubt you're playing the matchup right after such a short amount of time.

How exactly are you getting full combo punished for trying to zone? The only way Bo is getting a full combo is if you're closer than half screen and try throwing a projectile that he can roll and punish. Any further than half screen he is not getting a punish yet alone a full combo.

Bo spending a bar himsef to counter an armour is not a favourable situation for him as he relies on meter for all his combos and to make himself safe on all his unsafe strings.

There's a lot of reasons why he won't be top tier but that'll become pretty apparent when people start learning the matchup aha

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
As you asked me, have you played with CSZ? His neutral has no good miss except one that is easily punishable, and "You can literally low profile all of his starters and stop him dead" applies to him as well. He has to be in your face or at a specific range away. But I'm not gonna walk around pointing at weaknesses to say he isn't good. Just because a character isn't godlike in all categories doesn't mean they aren't great. For example, Quan had no armor whatsoever and couldn't get people off him but he was considered OP for other reasons.

Jason tier? So without Hardtoblockables that I can argue aren't even that hard to block unless my timing is specifically frame perfect would make CSZ Jason tier? That's where we're at now?

Nah I dont 3/4 of the entire roster has ridiculous tools so no point in nerfing powerful things. My only issue is selective targeting. Why complain and get Quan/Tanya nerfed but leave Takeda/Johnny in their current state? Why complain about TriBorg when Alien is possibly stronger (who I even use myself with CSZ) and all the DLC is strong? Why complain about CSZ B2 beat "some" gaps when Bo has a 10x stronger version that does more damage and puts you in the corner?

There's no consistency.
That's what my sarcastic remark was all about.

You nerf main cast members for being "broken," which is fine. I'm okay with that.

But to give that same "broke" shit to DLC characters? Makes NO sense.

BigMacMcLovin

B2s and Birdarangs
As you asked me, have you played with CSZ? His neutral has no good miss except one that is easily punishable, and "You can literally low profile all of his starters and stop him dead" applies to him as well. He has to be in your face or at a specific range away. But I'm not gonna walk around pointing at weaknesses to say he isn't good. Just because a character isn't godlike in all categories doesn't mean they aren't great. For example, Quan had no armor whatsoever and couldn't get people off him but he was considered OP for other reasons.

Jason tier? So without Hardtoblockables that I can argue aren't even that hard to block unless my timing is specifically frame perfect would make CSZ Jason tier? That's where we're at now?

Nah I dont 3/4 of the entire roster has ridiculous tools so no point in nerfing powerful things. My only issue is selective targeting. Why complain and get Quan/Tanya nerfed but leave Takeda/Johnny in their current state? Why complain about TriBorg when Alien is possibly stronger (who I even use myself with CSZ) and all the DLC is strong? Why complain about CSZ B2 beat "some" gaps when Bo has a 10x stronger version that does more damage and puts you in the corner?

There's no consistency.
Im cool with characters having whatever tools they've got except hard-to-blockables, they are complete easy mode. Get a hard knock down, lay your bomb and hit an overhead of choice at your leisure. CSZ has projectiles galor, a dive kick that not only hits OH but can be used to enhance his mobility and it's unpunishable if done correctly. DM Bo isn't godlike in any aspect of his game. The only thing that lets him play with anybody is his mediate stance.

Not to mention Bo has to have a drink in him to make this accessible at the times when it really counts and that's governed by a timer lasting 10 seconds.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
@SaltShaker who is the bo you played
Best player I get to play offline is Coach Steve. We live about 5-10min away from each other and attend the same Saturday night weekly tourney also. Bo is his fav MK char in the series. I'll be that guy getting combo exhibition'd on his stream tonight. -.- Other than that I'm heading to a grind session next weekend that Brady might come out again to, so I'll likely get some extra Bo run there too. Last time the DLC wasn't out yet and he was disgusted with Sub so he barely played lol. I don't think he's delved too deep into Drunken though. Quality Bo Exp at least, that'll be it for now, as i'm not connected with anyone else skillful that uses him and only started playing online some since the Beta netcode released.

You're playing Bo yourself right? I think I watched you use him, or maybe someone you fought. What do you think of him so far overall?

Im cool with characters having whatever tools they've got except hard-to-blockables, they are complete easy mode. Get a hard knock down, lay your bomb and hit an overhead of choice at your leisure. CSZ has projectiles galor, a dive kick that not only hits OH but can be used to enhance his mobility and it's unpunishable if done correctly. DM Bo isn't godlike in any aspect of his game. The only thing that lets him play with anybody is his mediate stance.

Not to mention Bo has to have a drink in him to make this accessible at the times when it really counts and that's governed by a timer lasting 10 seconds.
Lolol! That's one way of saying it.

Bo reminds me of the "resources" character that's gonna be strong with time. A few of those types of characters get their potential realized later than others. Like anyone can pick up Sektor in 10min and have a grasp on how to use him. People took 10min to pick up April Jin and mid patch Shinnok. Where Demo Sonya took almost a year to be brought out because of managing Bomb resources and had a bunch of "weaknesses" that made Demo "mid tier at best" for 9 months. Drunken Bo strikes me as one of these types, really strong, but max potential might take a little longer than some of the pick up and play DLC characters.

BigMacMcLovin

B2s and Birdarangs
Link me to the sub zero thread, found that it works better with GM more than Cryo in some situations.
Best player I get to play offline is Coach Steve. We live about 5-10min away from each other and attend the same Saturday night weekly tourney also. Bo is his fav MK char in the series. I'll be that guy getting combo exhibition'd on his stream tonight. -.- Other than that I'm heading to a grind session next weekend that Brady might come out again to, so I'll likely get some extra Bo run there too. Last time the DLC wasn't out yet and he was disgusted with Sub so he barely played lol. I don't think he's delved too deep into Drunken though. Quality Bo Exp at least, that'll be it for now, as i'm not connected with anyone else skillful that uses him and only started playing online some since the Beta netcode released.

You're playing Bo yourself right? I think I watched you use him, or maybe someone you fought. What do you think of him so far overall?

Lolol! That's one way of saying it.

Bo reminds me of the "resources" character that's gonna be strong with time. A few of those types of characters get their potential realized later than others. Like anyone can pick up Sektor in 10min and have a grasp on how to use him. People took 10min to pick up April Jin and mid patch Shinnok. Where Demo Sonya took almost a year to be brought out because of managing Bomb resources and had a bunch of "weaknesses" that made Demo "mid tier at best" for 9 months. Drunken Bo strikes me as one of these types, really strong, but max potential might take a little longer than some of the pick up and play DLC characters.
Don't get me wrong I think DM will be his best variation at the end of it all and I think it will be high up the tier list but it's definitely a high risk variation and he won't live and die by hard-to-blockables.

What's coach steve's stream link? I'd love to see some BRC

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Don't get me wrong I think DM will be his best variation at the end of it all and I think it will be high up the tier list but it's definitely a high risk variation and he won't live and die by hard-to-blockables.

What's coach steve's stream link? I'd love to see some BRC
Yea I agree with you on that. Some of the other DLC meta seems to be exactly what it is the first week as it will be next year. Bo will be much more complex than that.

http://www.twitch.tv/insaynne/profile is the twitch. Mostly SFV and MKX since the releases so whenever you can catch MKX you'll see Bo, Kano, Kotal and such. For sure he'll be one of the better players to use the character.