What's new

General/Other Most of you have no clue. (A rant about Rain.)

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
Rain is very good. His en-RH always gets me for 40%'s, damn... And his en-lightning, there are 3 hits and I think they track (correct me if I'm wrong). You're right about the teleport, it's unsafe, but for oki pressure is very good, maybe shorten your combos for less gravity reduction and teleport near the opponent for more frame advantage, think of Smoke's whiffed teleport after a combo. His lightning pops up and gives a lot of frame advantage, I may be wrong, but you can try to use it on reaction to other projectiles, get hit, but hit the opponent with lightning and gain that enormous frame advantage. Also lightning is a wake-up attack so the first 10 frames are invincible, maybe use as anti-oki for a pop-up combo starter.

Panque

Random foreign guy
Anyone that can get 50% without a bar and ~40% for one bar while being pressured is pretty good in my book. Zoners may destroy him, but is the teleport really so bad?

I blame online. There is nothing more frustrating than having negative edge just blow up a combo attempt.
Negative Edge exists offline too. And Rain is 10 times harder to deal with online because lag makes it very difficult to punish his Teleports or react to his RH cancels.

But I agree with Book Burning and Osu 16-Bit. Too many players talk out of their asses and judge characters without having played them or played against good players using them.

I also don't like it when people say some characters are bad/not viable just because they main a character that has an easier time against them. They can't see the bigger picture and don't have the knowledge and experience with said characters to really have an opinion that matters.

Espio

Kokomo
Rain's outfit is tight, he actually looks like royalty. If he looks "gay" that gay guy has the most boss outfit out of all the male ninjas.

STB Bodam

"Game... Blouses."
Well, this thread went to sh-t real quick.

Dammit! Whatever, I guess we'll just have to wait until Book goes to a major before we are able to fully realize this.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Nothing wrong with Rain.

Simple and effective gameplan.
Can trade lightening with characters like Sub Zero ice balls too and Cyraxs net maybe?
High damage.
Armour out the ass.

Once you get passed his negative edge he's nasty, shouldnt be much of a problem anyway because you shouldnt use his d3 which I find gives most negative edge problems.

I find him very easy to pick up since his playstyle feels similar to Sonya & Cage.

He's also got some cool options at the end of combos if you end with uppercuts instead of geysers

I agree Rain is legit. Also, Book your Rain has leveled up a lot since the last time I played you on ranked a couple months ago. Keep it up man

1 big problem with rain, why do they have to make him look so gay? Seriously man, he looks like a woman and water squirt ? lol cant take this character seriously
He looks pretty accurate to the character...He's Edenian which is like a Indo-Arabic culture and thats exactly what he looks like.bad-ass. As far as this character not being tournament viable? are kidding, it's been said already, but great mixups, good damage and alot of tools to be respected. think the thing is learning his weakness' during situations and applying that knowledge..finding other options.

MK Kobra

Noob
I don't know if you guys know about this, but low hitbox characters seem to be a problem for Rain from what I can tell. I was playing against Mileena, and I got d4'd in between 43 and the RH. This means that they don't even have to guess if you're gonna cancel or let it go, they can just d4 after 43. I know you can do lightning after the 43, but that is unsafe of course. I assume Sonya can do that same. We tested it out, and she can only d4 when she is crouch blocking though. Am I late on this? Thoughts?

Roko1985

Put down the controller and run!
Nothing wrong with Rain.

Simple and effective gameplan.
Can trade lightening with characters like Sub Zero ice balls too and Cyraxs net maybe?
High damage.
Armour out the ass.

Once you get passed his negative edge he's nasty, shouldnt be much of a problem anyway because you shouldnt use his d3 which I find gives most negative edge problems.

I find him very easy to pick up since his playstyle feels similar to Sonya & Cage.

He's also got some cool options at the end of combos if you end with uppercuts instead of geysers
Any examples for those options after combos that ends with uppercut?

a_guardian_devil

"We share blood, we are not brothers!"
I don't know if you guys know about this, but low hitbox characters seem to be a problem for Rain from what I can tell. I was playing against Mileena, and I got d4'd in between 43 and the RH. This means that they don't even have to guess if you're gonna cancel or let it go, they can just d4 after 43. I know you can do lightning after the 43, but that is unsafe of course. I assume Sonya can do that same. We tested it out, and she can only d4 when she is crouch blocking though. Am I late on this? Thoughts?
have u tried doin 43 ex roundhouse?

i mean i had this problem before where people pokin me out of my string but after the ex roundhouse and 37% damage, they started to respect it and never poked lol

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Get his MKT skin and I will main him. I agree with the rant, and support it 100%. IMO hes top 15. Rain fucking rapes.
Was literally coming to say the exact same thing, lol.

His offense is incredible. I've thought so ever since he dropped.
But as you said, Book, his flaws, few and far between though they may be, are crucial.

MK hasn't seen the last of Rain. Not a chance.
All it'll take is one good showing at a tournament. One really big moment.
That's, IMO, how Kenshi and Raiden have garnered all the new players they have.
I looked around at one point at Winter Brawl, and there was a Raiden on all but one of the setups.
Once someone can prove he's still very much worth pursuing, the players will follow.

Give me that costume, and he's in my pocket like a knife. All day.

Quantus

Rain for MK12 Kombat Pack 3
YES! People have been sleeping on rain for far too long.

I should have made a splash (lol) at Final Round, but I hadn't played in a month, and with a PS3 controller instead of the PS2 i used at the tourney... (Although, I did manage to make a Freddy damn salty)

I will be picking MK up seriously again, and I will blow bitches up with Rain.

I hope I can turn some heads at my first major, or my second, or whenever I can bring a great showing and make people rethink how good Rain actually is, but until then, I unfortunately can’t bring much to the table other than this to make you think otherwise.
Where do you live, Book? I would love to see you make it to FL for CEO in june.