What's new

General/Other Most of you have no clue. (A rant about Rain.)

BookBurning

Voidwards
This post is littered with a bit of salt I admit but I felt that I had to write it because for the most part, I’m tired of people saying Rain isn’t tournament viable. Albeit, I don’t have any problems with Bill’s placement of Rain on his tier list, I still feel, and strongly so that Rain is a perfectly tournament viable character.

Let me clarify.

Rain is a great character mainly because of his ability to nullify anything with armor and is the only character that can do this while dashing into his own counter-attack. This tool is enormously powerful because it doesn’t only have the ability to negate pressure, it completely turns his pressure negation into a wreckingball. Once activated successfully, it allows Rain to counter attack for a full 47 percent combo. Because of this, the simple threat of this ability doesn’t advise for respect; it demands it when it comes to pressuring Rain.

Along with this, Rain has good normals. His d1 is advantage on hit, his d4 is great with +12 hit advantage and his d1 poke is 6 frames. Standing 4 has enormous and almost deceptive range and can be canceled into a RH to make it 100 percent safe and naturally combos into the RH itself. 3 as well is a great punishing tool and being only 9 frames, can punish a myriad of moves into a full combo. The RH cancels themselves are also great because they allow amazing pressure, mind-games that lead into throws and you can release them whenever you like which either results in a blocked yet safe string or your opponent getting launched into the air for a combo. B2 also has ridiculous range and is safe when canceled into a released RH.

His damage output is the most efficient in the game as well and Rain easily falls into some of the highest damage per combo out of any character in the game, save Cyrax. On top of this, he requires absolutely no meter to do this. He gets 50 percent off of a jump-in, meterless combo anywhere on the screen, and even has the ability for more off of the corner. Along with this, all of his moves are comboable for the most part, the way his character is designed allows for juggles off of virtually anything.

All this alone makes him a force to be reckoned with.

Now this would be completely biased if I didn’t list his flaws and he does have them.

Rain has no real projectile. Lightning and waterball are useless when it comes to true projectiles and trading. Because of this at a range, Rain cannot trade, if he does trade, the most he can do at range is only 5 percent with 2 lightnings. This is enormously frustrating against characters that Rain has trouble rushing down because the zoning war is, by design, against him. This could be fixed if lightning was made safe, and would allow Rain to check more easily his opponents with lightning. The upside to lightning is, if it hits, it leads to decent damage off of a single projectile, along with waterball, however when traded and in terms of chip, it’s not good.

Waterball is also not a projectile, it’s too slow and it’s only use by itself is when catching opponents as they drop from the air. It can be used, but takes finnese and is altogether not efficient. Waterball is, for the most part, simply and extension of lightning because it can rarely be used out of comboing off of lightning when it comes to being a projectile. (Disregarding combo uses obviously.)

Rain’s teleport is also lacking. It’s frustrating because his teleport is border-line okay, yet bad enough that it must be used sparingly, less you eat a combo. Anyone who disagrees with this has yet to play as Rain legitimately offline. His EX teleport however is a great punishing tool for projectiles, but it costs meter and isn’t viable as a cure-all for zoners. It is also punishable on block.

And really, that’s it. It doesn’t seem like much for negatives, but the negatives he does have create enormous problems. I suppose not having a low starter for combos doesn’t help, but then again, half of the cast doesn’t, so I can live with that. All in all, Rain is amazing at what he does, Rushdown and mixup with canceling and has an enormous damage output to top it off, but he doesn’t have a solid answer to characters that can prevent him from getting in. Fortunately though, that’s not much of the cast by any means and truth be told, the only matchup that I see as glaringly bad for Rain is Rain vs Kenshi.

My reason for writing this is because I feel like 99 percent of MK9 players in general haven’t even touched Rain, atleast not really when it comes down to it. CDJR himself said he doubts Rain will win another major, yet I feel that there is perhaps a bit more to explore when it comes to Rain. Do I think he’s top 10? Of course not, but to those of you that say he isn’t tournament viable need to take a step back and re-look some things about this character.

I hope I can turn some heads at my first major, or my second, or whenever I can bring a great showing and make people rethink how good Rain actually is, but until then, I unfortunately can’t bring much to the table other than this to make you think otherwise. However, the game is always changing and with MK9 at its current state, the only thing that rings true so far is the fact that no tier list can be trusted.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Rain is a great character mainly because of his ability to nullify anything with armor and is the only character that can do this while dashing into his own counter-attack.
Kabal can do this too with :ex Nomad Dash canceled into normals. REO was doing it at Winter Brawl.

BookBurning

Voidwards
Kabal can do this too with :ex Nomad Dash canceled into normals. REO was doing it at Winter Brawl.
I actually admit that I didn't know that. :p

However it is a bit different because I feel that the threat off of eating an armored dash from Rain vs Kabal is scarier with Rain. Kabal can reset into NDC pressure with it, but the threat of actually taking a ton of damage from Kabal is non-existent when compared to Rain. Kabal's strength when it comes to close offense is more of a damge over-time type of play because of his design and he doesn't hit particularly hard, he just hits alot.

gdf

Noob
I consider Rain a perfectly fine character, if I were allowed to pick him up, I would.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
I have just recently started learning rain and he is a very powerful character. It has been a big change up learning him cause my old main was sub zero. He has some very good things but there are some minor flaws that hurt him in big ways. The teleport negative edge and lack of full screen options are what i find most frustrating. I hope to continue learning all his intricacies and hopefully some of his minor stuff can be dealt with.

RampaginDragon

Loses to uppercuts
I for one belive he is very viable. This charecter has so many options and so many tools, so much mix-up, great pressure and mind fucking capabilities. I think its silly to think he is not tournament viable. Rain is a force to be reconed with.

RampaginDragon

Loses to uppercuts
He has some very good things but there are some minor flaws that hurt him in big ways. The teleport negative edge and lack of full screen options are what i find most frustrating. I hope to continue learning all his intricacies and hopefully some of his minor stuff can be dealt with.
All charecters can get around there flaws if you have the right knowledge. Its still gunna be tough of course, but there is a way around weekness, though it may not be perfect... other than Shang Tsung... He's kinda fucked at some points. Theres no shame in laying on the ground after getting knocked down. PLAY DEAD

x18x2xwildx

Something wicked this way comes.
As a Mileena main I'd have to say Rain is one of my worst match-ups. His RH cancels are a force to be reckoned with, and characters without armor (all of my mains) have a hard time dealing with the pressure outside of a d1, or d3 for space. I think of Rain as I think of Cyrax, make one mistake, and you're eating an easy 45% combo. Playing as a character built around risk and mix-ups makes it all the more frustrating.

STB Bodam

"Game... Blouses."
Thank you, Book!

No one else can really back up the talk with Rain except yourself but I've been itching to make a thread like this for quite some time.

Z-911-Z

Bone and Metal
Rain is a seriously slept on character, I believe he's very viable for top ten. He just needs more users to show him off.

1 big problem with rain, why do they have to make him look so gay? Seriously man, he looks like a woman and water squirt ? lol cant take this character seriously

Panque

Random foreign guy
Rain is REALLY good. Sure, you might need a backup character against guys like Kenshi, but who doesn't? There is only a few characters in this game that have almost no bad matchups, and they get beaten regularly regardless. He is definitively top 15 at least, and thats pretty viable imo.

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
Who the hell said that Rain isnt tournament viable? Sigh, ignorance.

Also, personal opinion: CDjrs Jax has taken him EXCEEDINGLY far as a competitor, but i miss his Rain. He gave that character the limelight.
Well, him and you of course :p at least to me anyway.

Mt. Mutombo

Asshole by nature
Best tool he has is that sick ass EX RH kick... Best armor move in the game.

And yeah we need to see you in tournaments, i've played you 2 times and that rain is as pure as the waters of Lake Minnetonka!

BTW you are Rain!!!

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I blame online. There is nothing more frustrating than having negative edge just blow up a combo attempt. He is damn near impossible to practice at a good high level unless you have the patience of a saint (which you seem to have).

He is like an offline character only type deal.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
It was online, but you were definitely beating my ass with that Armored Rain shit. Hope you can make it to Final Round.

Espio

Kokomo
Rain's amazing, I still don't understand why people don't think he's good, but then again...people think Ermac and Skarlet are bottom 5 so.....I'm not that surprised.

Just do your thing and don't let anybody get you down.