What's new

Question - Master of Souls MoS Ermac, go for vortex or damage?

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Ok, so i ve been thinking about this for quite some time now, especially with the new combos discovered on MoS Ermac, and i seriously believe that its better to take away 40% of the opponents life meterless than go for a situation that might backlash at my face. I honestly believe, since Ermac's 50/50 is extremely unsafe, that its better to go for the full damage once you open up your opponent with a combo, but i m willing to discuss this to see what do you guys think. So, what do you guys think? :p

@zaf, @Big D, @k-frog,@N1k0lasss @all Ermac players.

Last edited:

Big D

Relevant In An Irrelevant Time
Ok, so i ve been thinking about this for quite some time now, especially with the new combos discovered on MoS Ermac, and i seriously believe that its better to take away 40% of the opponents life meterless than go for a situation that might backlash at my face. I honestly believe, since Ermac's 50/50 is extremely unsafe, that its better to go for the full damage once you open up your opponent with a combo, but i m willing to discuss this to see what do you guys think. So, what do you guys think? :p

The meta-game will consist of footsies and damaging combos as far as Ermac is concerned. Only ballzy players will go for the vortex.

Afumba

Noob

I prefer max damage or hard knockdowns over vortex. Big combo and playing it from there is more often than not a better option for me.
For me its a too big of a risk so unless i have or want to take a chance i sparely use vortex.

I play more Mystic than MoS so i lost my "vortex is the go to" mentantality awhile ago in favor of the damage.

Geoffmeister

PS4/EU Ermac main
My thoughts on this is that it's usually better to go for the vortex simply because they amount to more damage if you go for a throw instead of a 50/50. If it gets tech'd once, you managed to create more pressure on your vortexes.
I actually have a lot of data (that I'll share soon) on each outcome and its between 5-9% more damage if you play this way.
It's also decided by match-ups, for example you wouldn't go for Vortex combo's on Takeda or Quan Chi because their weakness lies in being grounded while on the other hand you're better off always going for a vortex against a Scorpion, destroying his Teleport wake-up game.

I go for grabs, or his low to low/ low to OH string after landing soul bal . Safest ways to mix up ur opponent imo and still grant u damage. Once I condition them with the low strings, I then take a risk and go for an OH, works very well.

After b1 2 ender for the vortex a good option is 1 or 1 1 which is plus on block for a possible tick throw situation.
I mostly go for the 50/50 when i have breaker

Heartwire

Awesomesauce
I find myself despite opportunity rarely going for the Vortex.
I do however use a grab-reset sometimes

but as far as the vortex goes, it's usually hindsight.

it depends. If the opponent has 40% or less, I'll go for max damage, if they have a bit higher (40%-70%), I'll try for the vortex and then finish it with another high damage combo, if I can get it off.

k-frog

Noob
Like you said, depends on how ballsy you are. Safest thing to do is go for max damage with meterless and save your meter for breaker and what little armor he gets on ex wakeup tele and forceblast. But if you want to take the risk with the vortex, it'll pay off.

If it were me in a tournament and money's on the line, im going for max damage and saving my meter. Fuck the vortex. I'll just use my patented levitate mixups to get them to do something dumb and open them up again lol :p

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
The meta-game will consist of footsies and damaging combos as far as Ermac is concerned. Only ballzy players will go for the vortex.
Like you said, depends on how ballsy you are. Safest thing to do is go for max damage with meterless and save your meter for breaker and what little armor he gets on ex wakeup tele and forceblast. But if you want to take the risk with the vortex, it'll pay off.

If it were me in a tournament and money's on the line, im going for max damage and saving my meter. Fuck the vortex. I'll just use my patented levitate mixups to get them to do something dumb and open them up again lol :p
After b1 2 ender for the vortex a good option is 1 or 1 1 which is plus on block for a possible tick throw situation.
I mostly go for the 50/50 when i have breaker
My thoughts exactly. I believe the meta game with Ermac will be what Big D said. Being able to pull off 40%+ meterless dmg combos from all of his primary strings is huge for Ermac at this point.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
I go for grabs, or his low to low/ low to OH string after landing soul bal . Safest ways to mix up ur opponent imo and still grant u damage. Once I condition them with the low strings, I then take a risk and go for an OH, works very well.
That could work too, i do it as well. Although there are times where people will still block the OH even after they ll have blocked 3 low/OH's in a row. Sucks to see that happen.

Temjiin

www.mkxframedata.com
I prefer max damage or hard knockdowns over vortex. Big combo and playing it from there is more often than not a better option for me.
For me its a too big of a risk so unless i have or want to take a chance i sparely use vortex.

I play more Mystic than MoS so i lost my "vortex is the go to" mentantality awhile ago in favor of the damage.
Me too. What is the most you have got from a raw tele meterless, and raw lift?

Metzos

You will BOW to me!

You still play Mystic? How so? Even in terms of dmg, MoS is much better.

Afumba

Noob
Me too. What is the most you have got from a raw tele meterless, and raw lift?
24% from a naked lift and 26% from a standing teleport.

You still play Mystic? How so? Even in terms of dmg, MoS is much better.
I agree with you that MoS is superior in basically everything... damage, options, zoning.

Why i still play Mystic... probably cuz i refuse to give up on that playstyle. Loved it in MK9 & its still my favorite.
Dont get me wrong, i really like how MoS plays... just prefer tkp/tkl Ermac more. I like that telekenesis stuff :)

But yea... if you play to win you should go MoS mostly. You can probably count the matches Mystic fairs as good as MoS on one hand.
Mystic needs some helps, hopefully it gets it.

Nyaa

Let's fighting love
Mainly playing Ermac as a zoner now so I'm always going for damage into creating space. Vortex is a gamble and I have a tendency to guess wrong. :/

jokey77

Character Loyalist
Of course it is all situational. Yet i think these are the reasons one should keep in mind:

Pro Vortex:
+ The opponent has no damaging punisher/vortex
+ I desperatly need a comeback as I am far behind
+ the opponent has better neutral game/footsies (be it character- or playerwise)
+ I got enough meter for a breaker while the opponent doesnt

Pro Damage:
- The opponent might punish me way too hard (damage/vortex)
- I got the lifelead and time is running out
- I am gonna outzone/outfootsie him anyway
- The opponent will have to use his meter for a breaker while I lack meter to spend on an eventual breaker

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Im starting to go for damage against characters that are really good upclose. Like Kung Lao who can just armor through my pressure, I wanna just do max damage, get away and look for a new opening

Afumba

Noob
Im starting to go for damage against characters that are really good upclose. Like Kung Lao who can just armor through my pressure, I wanna just do max damage, get away and look for a new opening
I honestly play like that most of the times. I really hate the "always in each others faces" type of play thats all over the place :)
Well nearly always.... i make an exception for Quan :p

LRK128

TEST - YOU'RE WHITE!
Of course it is all situational. Yet i think these are the reasons one should keep in mind:

Pro Vortex:
+ The opponent has no damaging punisher/vortex
+ I desperatly need a comeback as I am far behind
+ the opponent has better neutral game/footsies (be it character- or playerwise)
+ I got enough meter for a breaker while the opponent doesnt

Pro Damage:
- The opponent might punish me way too hard (damage/vortex)
- I got the lifelead and time is running out
- I am gonna outzone/outfootsie him anyway
- The opponent will have to use his meter for a breaker while I lack meter to spend on an eventual breaker
this

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
I honestly play like that most of the times. I really hate the "always in each others faces" type of play thats all over the place :)
Well nearly always.... i make an exception for Quan :p
I find Ermac to be quite the beast up close so I try to stay in everybody's face as much as I can. But KL...fuck that guy and his fucking EX-Spin that breaks my pressure and gives him a combo...:mad: