What's new

Mortal Monday Remake trailer - MK1

Ah, the inevitable live action trailer, I'm glad it's out of the way. It induced zero hype in me, I watched it once, I don't want to watch it ever again. The fact that Dominic Cianciolo tweeted (x'ed?) that it was such a secret project he didn't even know about it makes it even weirder (if true of course). If WB is that cash strapped as it was rumored why on earth would they throw money on something like this? Poor Dave Bautista may be a huge MK fan but it's embarrassing how many MK fans called him Batista in their reactions. So is he the man who supposed to pull Gen Z/casuals in? This trailer may be a nice throwback but other than that it lacks any creativity or anything special. If that's our Week -2 content then I'm not at all impressed.

Launch trailers for MK games are usually uploaded about a week before release, I wonder how early access would influence that. If it is timed for the early access, we could see it as early as next week.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I called 3 more trailers after the last komba kast.. Seems I might have nailed it. Live Action, Final Character Reveal and Launch Trailer. Maybe I should have made a "spoiler" video like all the other leaker loosers that just make educated guesses.

Jynks

Sure it does. For mainly the reasons I already stated.

If you didn’t like it that’s fine, to each their own. But yeah, it absolutely was an appeal to the masses and not the less than 1%, LOL
yeah, what I am saying is that the trailer while having a mass appeal, actually targets the oldest players the most. As in anyone that was into the game well before mk9. Those that still are around from then usually have a more than passing interest in the competitive scene, even if they do not compete at a high level anymore. The reason is that the trailer is a nostalgia bait to when they were younger in the 90s. So in a way it actually targets the most hardcore fans of the franchise.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
yeah, what I am saying is that the trailer while having a mass appeal, actually targets the oldest players the most. As in anyone that was into the game well before mk9. Those that still are around from then usually have a more than passing interest in the competitive scene, even if they do not compete at a high level anymore. The reason is that the trailer is a nostalgia bait to when they were younger in the 90s. So in a way it actually targets the most hardcore fans of the franchise.
Just about everyone knows the first mainstream classic live action “MORTAL KOMBAT!” commercial. It’s apart of pop culture history. The only people who probably don’t are younger people who aren’t interested in MK or fighting games, or gaming in general. Which I don’t imagine is someone they’d want to target anyway.

However, even the people who don’t know about the original iconic commercial can still appreciate this remake. Like even if they don’t know it’s a remake. It features a popular celebrity, it was well made, and it overall appeals to more people than a strictly in game trailer like they have been doing. And even the “cringy” aspect is good as it gets people talking about it, memeing it on social media, and it being more remembered. They definitely knew what they were doing with this one.

But with all of that said, that obviously doesn’t mean everyone is going to enjoy the trailer. Aside from people making fun of it which is actually not really a negative, there will inevitably be people who just didn’t like it and it didn’t interest them whatsoever. But that happens with every single trailer, commercial, ad, etc that has ever existed, lol.

Jynks

lol.... I give up rofl. I'm not going to explain the same thing a 3rd time. Either I am not explaining it right or you are just unable to understand what I mean. As all your replies have nothing to do with what I am talking about, you're just saying the same thing you said last time... Probably best if we just leave it here.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
lol.... I give up rofl. I'm not going to explain the same thing a 3rd time. Either I am not explaining it right or you are just unable to understand what I mean. As all your replies have nothing to do with what I am talking about, you're just saying the same thing you said last time... Probably best if we just leave it here.
In your first reply to me you contradicted yourself in the same post. You started by disagreeing with me and saying that the trailer/ad “had nothing to do with casuals” and that it targeted the older gamers and nostalgia. But then followed it up by saying it “hits different people and can be shown in different places”. So you ultimately agreed with me and essentially said the same thing I did under the guise of you disagreeing with me for whatever reason. Then you responded and continued to agree with me for the most part (still under the guise of you thinking you’re saying something different), but anyway I expounded on that.

Now there’s nothing you can respond with at all after my previous post so you’re acting like “I just don’t get it” and saying my replies have nothing to do with what you’re talking about. Of course they do, you just don’t know how to argue against anything in my last post, which is understandable. Mainly because we mostly agree but you are hung up on 1 or 2 differences of opinion and can’t stand that for some reason.

But yeah, definitely best to just leave it here now.

I'm slightly disturbed I don't remember the original ad at all. I was there. I played MK in arcade and console. I remember politicians freaking out about it. I had a TV in my room.
Maybe it only aired on cable which I didn't have?
Yes, it was an ad on cable TV.

The fact that Dominic Cianciolo tweeted (x'ed?) that it was such a secret project he didn't even know about it makes it even weirder (if true of course).
It's quite possible. Marketing for large companies aren't always communicating direct with the writers of the developers. I remember when the Halo: Reach themed Xbox 360 was revealed, and many of the Bungie team had never seen it until it's official reveal.

Marketing does not represent the development team and vice versa.

Art Lean

Noob
Yes, it was an ad on cable TV.

It's quite possible. Marketing for large companies aren't always communicating direct with the writers of the developers. I remember when the Halo: Reach themed Xbox 360 was revealed, and many of the Bungie team had never seen it until it's official reveal.

Marketing does not represent the development team and vice versa.

Absolutely… the live action advert for MK Mythologies was actually awesome and seems to feature the same actors and costumes as the FMV did, but created by someone with some actual money, sets, a cinematographer and a visual flair for directing :laughing:

If only the game had been as good as its marketing. I want this game! :(

Jynks

Downward Spiral was the big album of 1994 and in1997 Trent Reznor was on Time Magazine cover and ... MK:Myth and this trailer was also 1997... probably not related... .. .

Art Lean

Noob
Downward Spiral was the big album of 1994 and in1997 Trent Reznor was on Time Magazine cover and ... MK:Myth and this trailer was also 1997... probably not related... .. .
Oh definitely a product of its time. It's got all the typical flourishes of a mid-90s industrial rock music video from Samuel Bayer or Floria Sigimondi, both of whom did videos for David Bowie's industrial phase and Marilyn Manson during that exact time period, such as The Heart's Filthy Lesson and Tourniquet respectively.

Given that Mortal Kombat itself was being heavily boosted by the soundtracks to the first two movies which included the likes of Stabbing Westward, Gravity Kills, KMFDM, Fear Factory, Sister Machine Gun, Chemlab, Killing Joke, Cubanate, Pitchshifter and Rammstein within the movies and 3 accompanying tie-in compilations, promoting the new game looking like it leapt out of a Rock Video Monthly tape was just perfect for the franchise at the time.

And can't deny I still love that era of music and those grimy elaborate big budget S&M music videos; those MK CDs introduced me to so many artists I still love to this day regardless that my tastes have massively broadened since then.

Last edited: