What's new

Mortal Kombat's website update Roster page

Pizza

Thrill Kill
I mean, when they first uploaded the roster with wrong names, bios and additional slots it was one thing. After it was fixed but the slots stayed, we could think "okay, maybe they overlooked it".
But they just updated the roster and those four slots are still there.

I don't know how you think it means "more characters" because one of them looks barely visible but it's selectable, while two of them are not and the other one next to Liu Kang is! It's crazy. In my opinion they're probably unlockable characters.

Reactions: Zev
Now I'm thinking, maybe NRS added additional slots just to say 'There will be more characters'? And that's why they fade away. The number of slots may not matter anything specific, just a cool looking thing to say 'DLC is coming'...
That is what I have been preaching!!!!!

But no! people just wanna call NRS the source of all evil, that lures them into having beautiful dreams which are destined to be crushed and eaten like sweet deserts by the said evil)

Lord Snotty

Lord of the Bletherrealm.
I'm intrigued by Noob Saibot's bio. What if the soulnado removed the impurities of evil from his soul and left him with the same powers but not villainous. I'd be interested to see what a heroic Noob Saibot would be like in this game. An antihero, I assume.

vapid

cyber warlord
I will say this...

If the earlier rumours about Kronika being Shinnok and Cetrion's mother are true, or at least Cetrion and Shinnok being siblings, that does bode well for Shinnok being on the roster. Obviously he's in the prologue video and they've got Troy Baker back to voice him, but originally I thought those rumours were probably bullshit. However, that recent GameInformer bio card of Cetrion stated she was an Elder God, etc.

If that is all true, it would be weird not having Shinnok playable.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
The official website is TRASH

How hard is it for them to send some intern to clarify what those slots mean? Is it so damaging to the marketing campaign to say "those FOUR slots ARE DLC", "Kombat Pack 1 will release four characters, two are being worked on" or "Kombat Pack 1 has been reduced from 6 to 4 so we make two packs of 4 characters", lmao idk anything

Pizza

Thrill Kill
I will say this...

If the earlier rumours about Kronika being Shinnok and Cetrion's mother are true, or at least Cetrion and Shinnok being siblings, that does bode well for Shinnok being on the roster. Obviously he's in the prologue video and they've got Troy Baker back to voice him, but originally I thought those rumours were probably bullshit. However, that recent GameInformer bio card of Cetrion stated she was an Elder God, etc.

They already confirmed those rumours are indeed true.

xXRagingFlameXx

I'm a bad bitch, you can't kill me
Honestly it would be kinda weird to not have Shinnok in. I'm not even a Shinnok fan either.

And even 16bit during the breakdown said she was the exact opposite of Shinnok, who's the God of Death. I feel like it's similar to Shao Kahn VS Kotal Kahn or even Sonya VS Kano. That's a rivalry we'd wanna play out. The God of Death VS. The Goddess of Life. Would be dope shit not gonna lie.

Lord Snotty

Lord of the Bletherrealm.
I will say this...

I'd love to see Shinnok back. I thought MKX redeemed and made him a viable threat. Troy really brought The God of Death to life. Initially, I wanted to see Shinnok battling it out against Shao and Shang for control of the Realms, but now I want to see him interact with Cetrion and Kronika. It promises a lot of really good stuff.

VSC_Supreme

TYM's #1 L taker.

This alternative roster screen still shows those additional four slots. Two of them are selectable.

Unless Kombat Pack 1 has been reduced from 6 characters to 4, I have the right to think that there may be unlockable characters.
I notice the 4 missing spaces amongst the characters are a lighter gray than the 4 at the end. The final block also has a larger lock, some people mentioned that could be Kronika, and I back that theory.

If not Kronika that does leave 4 spots for DLC and I would assume that if there are guest characters they wouldn't get spots on this website but who knows. I almost feel like they've left it this ambiguous on purpose. It creates conversation.

xXRagingFlameXx

I'm a bad bitch, you can't kill me
Three characters next week too... D'Vorah is one, but who are the other two? :O
Most likely Frost and Kitana. Unless they show Shao Kahn, but I can honestly see them waiting until the week before release to do that. He should get his own Kombat Kast. Show 3 variations instead of just skimming through 2. They gotta show him off right since he's the pre-order bonus.

We had all dudes today. It'd be dope to have an all female KK.

IceNine

Tired, But Strong
Nitpick: I wish the revenant forms weren't defaults. Kung Lao looks like ass in his render and Kitana, judging from the story trailer, will look even worse. It only works for Jade and Kabal, really.
Liu's using his living flesh for his render, so there's hope for the princess.

Lisbeth

Kitana stole my sai
I think it's a very scummy move to put those faded slots at the end and not specify what they are, specially if they end up being dlc slots and not unlockable character (which is the mostly likely scenario). The marketing and communication in general for MK11 has been pretty bad but this is next level.

Lisbeth

Kitana stole my sai
Like, they get more faded on each slot and the icons are exactly the same as the ones from the main roster, they have nothing that distinguish them, not even a ''dlc'' mark like Shao Kahn's. So why would anyone assume they are slots of dlc characters? This is some serious bullshit.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
I know right

Look at how SNK is handling Samurai Shodown.

They announced 16 characters in the base roster. Then 4 characters are announced as DLC to come in the first season pass.

How many character slots are on their website right now? 16.

So no one mistakes possible unlockable characters with DLC characters or whatever. If Kuroko is playable, he's being kept as a secret. So there's no "?" slot on their website.

16. 16 is what you get. All the characters you're going to see when you start your game.

See what I mean?

And @Lisbeth is right with the DLC mark. They should use it!!

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
Like, they get more faded on each slot and the icons are exactly the same as the ones from the main roster, they have nothing that distinguish them, not even a ''dlc'' mark like Shao Kahn's. So why would anyone assume they are slots of dlc characters? This is some serious bullshit.
The slots are empty -- when the DLC characters are added, they'll have the DLC tag.

The empty slots filling in as DLC was added is exactly how it worked in IJ2, so I'm not sure why people are so confused this time -- except in that they are desperate to have more characters that haven't been revealed.

It'd be wonderful if there were some secret characters, but at this point Ed has said multiple times , explicitly, that the game is dropping with 25. You have no one to blame but yourself if you expect more than that.

Zev

Cages_Shades from MKO
It'd be wonderful if there were some secret characters, but at this point Ed has said multiple times , explicitly, that the game is dropping with 25. You have no one to blame but yourself if you expect more than that.
Ed also likes to keep things secret and people to be surprised . . . he's not going to tell people there's secret characters ahead of time, he wants that to be a release day shocker.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
I'm betting the websites roster slots are only showing 8 spots left because it's leaving out the guest characters?

That could make sense having 4/6 DLC being returning characters for each DLC.