What's new

Mortal Kombat VS Killer Instinct: Why it should happen

t3kwytch3r

Stone-Kold-Zoner
This will be a long post, so bear with me.

As most of you know (or could safely assume), i am a huge MK fan. Been playing it since i was 4. The Komedy, violence and secrets, as well as the ability to progress in skill, have always appealed to me deeply. More so for nostalgia in recent years, but still relevant.

Killer Instinct has always very much been a B-Tier thing for me that i barely knew existed. My next door neighbour in childhood had the game, and a SNES, but despite it looking interesting i couldnt figure it out. And since i didn't own it, i didnt' care to learn.

Fast forward many years, past the MK3D era and now both these franchises have rebooted. KI in particular was a surprise, as it had way less exposure over the years and thus, the characters all went through interesting modernisations and overhauls of their design. As for MK9, you know i bought and ate that shit up. It literally threw me back to my childhood bedroom. Suddenly i'm playing MK Trilogy again, but i'm better at it. And the game is better! Nostalgic yet new. Perfect, as long as you're not SO good that the balance issues are obvious (i sucked, so they weren't).
Alas, i didn't own an Xbox One, so i never got to try Killer Instinct. No one i knew played it either, excluding one friend of mine who much preferred shooters, so the game was relegated to obscure status for me again.

Fast forward again, to the present. Maximillian Dood starts this hashtag about bringing KI back. This piques my interest, so i decide to look at the games systems and characters after watching Maxs video. Nearly melted my brain reading about the combo system, but i vaguely understand it now. I also immediately notice how "Ultra Combos" are essentially PG UMK3 Brutalities. Interesting. I watch a few tournament matches, can't understand a thing happening, but the characters look awesome, the gameplay is fast and looks fun and each character looks like they wouldn't be out of place in MK.

So i decide to check out retro KI. The OG. I watch a couple youtube videos And what do i discover?

1: It was also made by Midway
2: There were finishing moves! Not as well defined or violent as MK fatalities, but they were there, and they definitively confirmed your opponent was DEAD. Ultra Combos were like brutalities, but then there was also some moves that were essentially fatalities, but it wasn't obvious how those moves were activated.
3: Stage. Fatalities. I saw at least 2, there was definitely room for more. Almost identical to any OG mk stage fatality, essentially knocking the opponent off a high building for them to fall to their death.

This really surprised me, as i'm fairly sure there's no moves in the latest KI that imply the death of your opponent. But there could be! I can easily picture Brutality like slicings and explosions, and i can certainly picture some adaptation of the Ultra Combo where you stop the combo and have a brief moment to input the secret command for a more cinematic finishing move... a Fatality.

Similarly, i've thought about how KI's fluid combo system could fit MK. MK has ALWAYS been among the more rigid, less fluid fighting games, regardless of which era you look at. Implementing a combo system like KI would allow more creative uses of our favourite MK characters, and give that fast-paced, high octane split-frame decision making that defines fighting games. The health meter of KI is also more similar to Injustice than MK, but fits the concept of A FIGHT TO THE DEATH much better.

That concept is what i feel makes KI and MK so similar thematically. It does seem like the fight isn't so much a tournament for a cash prize. It seems like you are fighting for survival. This grim approach is leagues from Tekken or Street fighter, which always feels like a 'Friendly' fight.

There are also many characters in each franchise that would have a perfect thematic counter, either through abilities, playstyle, lore or simple appearance. Tj Combo and Jax. Fulgore and Sektor. Orchid and Sonya. Glacius and Sub Zero. Eyedol and Shao Kahn. Jago could counter either Liu Kang, Kung Lao or Kenshi, take your pic. Sadira and Skarlet, one being a highly mobile, aerial combo beast, the other being a slippery, teleporting, blood spurting space control monster. Aganos against Goro for that beefy heavy hitter MU. I could go on, but i want to leave room for suggestions from you guys!

So, call me easily susceptible to hype, but i'd simply argue that i have an overactive imagination. But i feel that an MKvsKI game would be amazing if done right. If a die hard fan of just 1 of those franchises can picture all this in 1 day, imagine what well developed companies and game designers with decades of experience could do.

I'll stop now, but if you have anything to add please do! Especially if you have any experience with any of the KI games, i wanna know about those finishing moves i referred to earlier and your experience with that franchise, either retro or modern.

I actually bought the new KI definitive edition yesterday, even though i have no Xbox. The damn Soundtrack CD alone was worth the 10 euros, so if the crossover is literally just MK with KI music, thats good enough for me.

t3kwytch3r

Stone-Kold-Zoner
Dedication to the bamboozle is always respectable, i'd say a few people got their hype glands tickled when they saw that picture haha. I think if they were to make the crossover game now, it would have to be non exclusive. Too much money to be made to arbitrarily exclude any console.

t3kwytch3r

Stone-Kold-Zoner
The most MKvsSF we'll ever get are Proxicides Scorpion versus Ryu, Ken vs Raiden and Chameleon vs Akuma videos. Which are awesome, but don't ever hope for a game to play like how those videos look lmao.

The most MKvsSF we'll ever get are Proxicides Scorpion versus Ryu, Ken vs Raiden and Chameleon vs Akuma videos. Which are awesome, but don't ever hope for a game to play like how those videos look lmao.
At this point a MK vs Marvel is more likely, Marvel has enough M rated characters to pull it off.

t3kwytch3r

Stone-Kold-Zoner
At this point a MK vs Marvel is more likely, Marvel has enough M rated characters to pull it off.
That's an interesting concept, if you precluded all the PG marvel characters you could have a solid game there. I'm picturing Blade, The Punisher, Ghost Rider, Carnage / Venom / Symbiote infected secret MK characters and such. Not sure if there's enough M rated dudes to fill the roster though.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feel like we are back in the 90’s. Mk vs KI has been as requested as MK vs SF. Doubt it will ever happen, the only vs game I see NRS being apart of is maybe an MKvsDC2 or just a new MKvsDC. Since Injustice, this has been a lot more reasonable possibility, imo. I think a new MKvsDC would actually be decent, even though the actual MkvsDC was terrible, lol.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
it's the only crossover that make sense, if using the MK franchise .....

MK vs DC was a ridiculous stupid one; the desirable SF x MK simply doesn't work in theory .... and the SF producers already stated that will never happen ..... and I hope never happen indeed ! :D

so, the only fighting game franchise that can be used into the MK universe, without the worries about softening and impacting the violence level of the game, it's KI .... I'm up with if they decide with this crossover, using MK mechanics and gameplay, hehe ;)

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
KI was just as played as MK2 back in the day on SNES and arcade.
The combo system, ultras, and the style of music made it really stand out. It was hard to stick with MK2 when you saw what B. Orchid was capable of if you bought the strategy guide and knew the combos.

There were tons of rip off fighters back then, primal rage, etc. Killer Instinct held it's own through it's lifespan KI2 kinda missed the mark tho

t3kwytch3r

Stone-Kold-Zoner
Feel like we are back in the 90’s. Mk vs KI has been as requested as MK vs SF. Doubt it will ever happen, the only vs game I see NRS being apart of is maybe an MKvsDC2 or just a new MKvsDC. Since Injustice, this has been a lot more reasonable possibility, imo. I think a new MKvsDC would actually be decent, even though the actual MkvsDC was terrible, lol.
I also doubt it would happen, but it's quite clear how popular it would be. Take the best of both franchises, which fit together so well, and release it in a timely and hype manner.

If it were to be made, they could release it Season style like the KI reboot. 3 characters from each franchise to begin with, packs of 2 characters each released every month or so until the game is complete.

I strongly feel production time would be made vastly more efficient if they didn't have to worry about overly cinematic Fatal Blows or fatalities. Keep them short and sweet, no need to render the entire human organ system. Make the brutalities fun, simple but highly conditional, like certain brutalities can only be done mid-ultra combo, others only if you still have 2 life bars, others if your instinct meter is full; i could go on and on.

Hell, i'd be happy to totally remove fatalities from this hypothetical crossover in exchange for, like, 15 brutalities per character.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I'd be down, I really enjoy both franchises. I just wonder if the gameplay differences would be too irreconcilable.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
That's an interesting concept, if you precluded all the PG marvel characters you could have a solid game there. I'm picturing Blade, The Punisher, Ghost Rider, Carnage / Venom / Symbiote infected secret MK characters and such. Not sure if there's enough M rated dudes to fill the roster though.
You're forgetting the most R-rated Marvel character - Deadpool.

As much as I'd love it to happen, Xbox exclusivity makes it pretty unlikely. I don't see NRS or WB wanting to commit alot of time on something that only reaches one console

sub_on_dubs

Online Scrub Lord
I definitely agree. I think they need to break the mold of alternating mk and injustice every two years. Although I'm not a big fan of KI, I prefer it way more than Injustass.

t3kwytch3r

Stone-Kold-Zoner
I'd be down, I really enjoy both franchises. I just wonder if the gameplay differences would be too irreconcilable.
I worried about that, but i feel it could be reasonably managed. The biggest issue i see is whether to use back to block, or the Block button. Combo wise, i feel KI's would take precedence, but many features of MK would accentuate it. Krushing blows would absolutely be a necessary feature. I'm also wondering if a 'Groove system' a la Capcom vs SNK 2 would be an idea. Could certainly scratch the variations itch NrS seems to have.

As much as I'd love it to happen, Xbox exclusivity makes it pretty unlikely. I don't see NRS or WB wanting to commit alot of time on something that only reaches one console
It would absolutely have to be non exclusive. I don't think Microsoft would have a big problem with that though: The exclusivity wouldn't make them any more money. It could be worth their while to make the crossover game non exclusive even if the dedicated titles in the series were Xbox only.

C-Sword

Noob
Unless the I.P. is bought by WB, it's not going to happen. WB will not invest money in a game that won't be available on a PlayStation console