What's new

Mortal Kombat Movie Release Date: April 16, 2021

After lots of rumoring, various delays, and years' worth of hopes and expectations, the time is finally upon us -- the upcoming Mortal Kombat movie has a release date: April 16, 2021.

The producer, Todd Garner of Broken Road Productions, tweeted the date on Monday afternoon, along with a note to expect a trailer early in 2021. Release is set for both theatres and HBO MAX.

Comments

The ‘lizard’ is reptile. Trust me, it’s a giant lizard in Mortal Kombat lol. Who else is it? Swole Tung, the new original lizard?
Not every Tarkatan is Baraka either is it. Cmon, give us Reptile fans a hope and not make him a jobber again. ;)

I don't believe that's him or if it is, it's not how he dies. I don't believe Mileena dies to Sonya either. Why would they spoil such things in a trailer?

One question though....

Goro leaps towards a guy...

WHO would that dude be ? His upper half looked weird, like covered in sand or having some prosthetics on his back ? Strange...
Looks like it's Cole wearing some kind of form-fitting armour. He's also in the background during the reversal of the "get over here" scene (which seems to take place in his cage fighting arena).

Last edited:
Looks like it's Cole wearing some kind of form-fitting armour. He's also in the background during the reversal of the "get over here" scene (which seems to take place in his cage fighting arena).

View attachment 18025View attachment 18026
didn't think that the goro dude is Cole... I wonder how this fight is going to be choreographed/done ! That "getoverhere" photo is what makes me believe even more that Cole is "Satoshi" from the games' lore

Sub-Zero's description in the movie:
  • He's a cryomancer.
  • What do you mean?
  • He freezes stuff.
i'm pretty sure that was just bad audio editing or else.... if that is the actual dialog there, I'll be laughing like hell when i see the movie. Not as bad as "too bad YOU
-one mine worker's retirement later-

will die !"

While there's definitely some details I would have done differently, overall this is actually looking pretty decent.
That Sub-Zero ice shower was legit af, too. Didn't expect the GKL reference either.

Only thing I think looks wack is Kano's eye beam vfx.

Also, that director breakdown was really great, I would like more directors to do shit like this and flash their nerd cred.

Last edited:
The Director Breakdown is great and all but I wish he touched on if that was Reptile or a random Raptor.

Because if that's Reptile it doesn't really fit with earlier statements he made about Goro and other stuff.

Not every Tarkatan is Baraka either is it. Cmon, give us Reptile fans a hope and not make him a jobber again. ;)

I don't believe that's him or if it is, it's not how he dies. I don't believe Mileena dies to Sonya either. Why would they spoil such things in a trailer?
Baraka isn’t the last Tarkatan though ;)

It’s a massive part of Reptile’s character that he’s the last Zatteran.

I think Pizza has nailed it, it’ll be something like the two hearts thing or he’ll be able to regenerate body parts like lizards do in real life, but they’ll go OTT with it and make him regenerate organs or some shit. They’ve obviously not killed off Reptile in the trailer, it’s bait.

Yeah clearly Zoe Saldana and Michael Peña, Benicio Del Toro etc. can't get any roles.
Lol bro, Zoe Saldana is as black as Obama, and identifies as black... so swing and a miss, guy. Thanks for helping prove my point.

But oh, you sure totally proved my post entirely wrong by listing those other two! Those two superstars totally represent the trend! I sure learned my lesson! :rolleyes:

Derp.

Are you saying Asian, Indian, Arabic, Islander, and Native actors AREN'T getting shafted? If so, why are you lying?

Last edited:
I’ve watched this trailer a lot now, and my opinion on this movie is getting more and more positive.

Prediction: Kano will be the funny meme character that the internet will be fond of and be a trend for a while and so he will be the MK guest in Injustice 3 :p

While there's definitely some details I would have done differently, overall this is actually looking pretty decent.
That Sub-Zero ice shower was legit af, too. Didn't expect the GKL reference either.

Only thing I think looks wack is Kano's eye beam vfx.

Also, that director breakdown was really great, I would like more directors to do shit like this and flash their nerd cred.
Yup. I'm expecting a good/funny b-movie. Which is fine by me.

Lol bro, Zoe Saldana is as black as Obama, and identifies as black... so swing and a miss, guy. Thanks for helping prove my point.
What? There was a huge controversy over her playing Nina Simone. She is Puerto Rican and Dominican.

You don't become non-hispanic just because you also have some African heritage or also identify as 'Black'. Hispanic means that you're of Latin American descent. This a really strange take.

Here is what fights we officially have so far:

*Hanzo Hasashi - Bi Han & Lin Kuei extras (opening scene)
*Scorpion/Cole - SubZero
*Jax/Special forces extras - SubZero (the Brazil mission mentioned in the trailer in which Jax loses his arms)
*Kabal - Liu Kang (flaming dragon might possibly not be a fatality but the origin of Kabal's burnt skin)
*Sonya/Cole - Mileena
*Cole - Goro
*Kung Lao-Cole & Kano-Sonya training in Raiden's temple.
*Kano/Cole/Sonya - Reptile. Although I really hope the victim of Kano's heart rip fatality is just a generic Reptilian, I'm pretty sure this isn't the case and it's actually Reptile himself.

Also, some predictions:
*That lazer beam that Kung Lao deflects with his hat might possibly be the moment that Kano turns against the good guys. That, or just those two characters' egos collided and Kano got mad, leading to Kung Lao showing off his skills.

*Another moment in the trailer where Mileena licks some blood of her sai might be a victory of the Outworlders. That, or it's sonya's blood from her fight against mileena.

*I think it's safe to say that Nitara is getting offed by someone (possibly even not from the earthrealm guys).

*In order for Goro's presence to be epic, I think its safe to say that he'll put down at least one "good guy". Also , during his fight with Cole, I'm willing to bet there will be a Kung Lao tag-team in there. :)

*I don't think we'll see Raiden fight and I really hope we'll see that Liu-Shang match.

What do you guys think ?

Last edited:
*Kabal - Liu Kang (flaming dragon might possibly not be a fatality but the origin of Kabal's burnt skin)
This is very interesting. Maybe Kabal is on Shang Tsung's side (like the Lin Kuei) and after being burned he is rescued by Kano, and this could be a new origin for the Black Dragon.

Maybe it's a situation like in MK9 where Shang Tsung expects Cyrax to kill Johnny Cage. But this time Liu Kang burns Kabal without killing him, but taking him out of the tournament nonetheless.

Also I kinda like the idea of an unknown caracter being the protagonist. Makes the others look like legends. Imagine If there's an after credit scene with Johnny hinting at a part two.