What's new

Mortal Kombat Armageddon - Character Guide

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
good match guys.

booooooo ACs. BAN! BAN! BAN!!! lol

glad u guys got to play some MKA. Wish I had some folks to play in my area. :(
Nothing wrong with ACs, i'm pretty sure it's 33's you're talking about. If true, I'd have to agree, cuz it was supposedly for balance, but it actually only makes the strongest characters even STRONGER, such as Sheeva's 83% combo. Even with Sheeva being my #1 main character, I can not see why this is legit, but if I'm not mistaken, this was only alloted for online due to the difficulty of ACs. Either way, it's not like MKA is going to be played for $500 grand prizes anyway....lol...but it IS fun.

Well for as long as I played MKA and knew about the AC, I simply just banned it. When I did have a small group of players in my area...we were content with the ban.

Made us focus on doing the more stronger legit advanced ground combos and simply using the air combo as a combo ender for damage or positioning.

Also imo ACs just made the game look gimmicky as all hell lol.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Kung Lao

Pros:
+Very solid zoning abilities
+Top notch punishment
+Dive kick
+Good damage
+Solid projectile

Cons:
-No safe mids
-Relies heavily on punishing mistakes

Overview
Kung Lao is a very difficult character to use, but well worth learning and is indeed a scary character in the right hands. His punishment abilities are absolutely brutal at midscreen. What makes him hard to use is he's reliant on punishing. With bad recovery on nearly everything he does, you must rely on a very defensive playstyle to use him.

Important Moves
[Shaolin Fist] 2 - Kung's best move. Very fast and great reach, sets up free combos and is unbreakable.
[Shaolin Fist] d1 - On hit, pushes opponents back out to near midscreen.
Hat Throw - Good projectile that moves Kung away. Perfect for zoning.
[Broadsword] b3 - Low launcher that's parriable. Good for surprise attacks.
Air Dive Kick - Great for positioning and punishing projectiles.

Important Combos
Shaolin Fist 2, 113CS, Broadsword 11f3 - Basic punish combo.
Shaolin Fist 2, Broadsword d2 - Basic unbreakable combo.
Shaolin Fist f1, Broadsword 11f3 - Basic mid launcher combo. Replace 11f3 with Broadsword d2 for unbreakable damage after the launch.
Broadsword b3, 11f3 - Basic low launcher combo. Replace 11f3 with Broadsword d2 for unbreakable damage after the launch.

Notable Matchups
vs Drahmin (4:6) - Drahmin has insanely fast recovery on his best moves. It's impossible to play your normal punish game vs him. Take advantage of the fact that Hat Throw moves you back and turtle him to oblivion. If he gets in, Shaolin Fist d1 can get you some breathing room. The move in general is useful vs his CS string. Be very careful with whatever you do...he's capable of punishing a lot of stuff.

vs Sareena (4:6) - Another disadvantage matchup for you. Sareena's got great keepaway, but your divekicks can tag an unsuspecting Sareena. Her footsies game obviously outdoes yours, so don't try that game. It's not an impossible matchup by any means, but it's difficult.

vs Dairou (5.5:4.5) - This matchup can be annoying for Dairou if you know your options to deal with his defenses. Divekick is really good vs TSD, and Shaolin Fist 2 is very good at getting around his projectile. He may have a safer game than yours normal-wise, but it's not too amazing and it can be overcome, especially since his safest move is all high. Definitely a match that should be in your favor.

THTB

Reiko

Original source: AREZ God of War

Pros
+Pretty quick recovery on mid launcher
+Quick punisher
+3D projectile

Cons:
-Low damage
-Very limited options otherwise

Overview
Reiko is a character with quite a limited array of tools, but with the tools he has, he can do quite well. Able to zone from just around midscreen pretty effectively, Reiko has access to a 3D projectile as well as a pretty fast whiff punisher. Make every hit count, though, since Reiko's damage is pretty low, though much of it is unbreakable.

Important Moves
[Ying Yueng] 3 - Mid launcher that's got okay recovery. It has a lengthy time before you can block, so stick it out and backstep or sidestep instead to avoid counters.
[Ying Yueng] d4 - Annoying low poke that's good for setting up Ying Yueng 3.
Throw - Another option to get the opponent to duck, as well as good for resetting positioning.
Assassin Throwing Stars - 3D projectile. Does not reach full screen, though, so teleporters can hurt it.
Devastating Flip Kick - Reiko's best punisher. Very unsafe, so make sure it hits.

Important Combos
Ying Yueng 3, d2, Assassin Throwing Stars (22%) - Basic combo from 3.
Devastating Flip Kick, Ying Yueng d2, Assassin Throwing Stars (28%) - Reiko's best punish combo.
Ying Yueng 2, Throw (24%) - Reiko's free throw. 2 is pretty much useless, though, so this isn't a good free throw at all.

Notable Matchups
vs Dairou (5:5) - This matchup is pretty even. Neither character can actually zone the other. Play this match from where you can punish projectile with Flip Kick. Try and forward jump TSDs to stay in position to attempt Throwing Stars...it's difficult for Dairou to actually reliably escape. Dairou's only real threat is his safety in his normals, but otherwise, this matchup can go either way.

^^ The same rules i used in all my videos.

Keep this thread going, guys. Dont let up on it. Great job so far.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Here's my Ermac guide from a while ago MKO/early MKU days...

I've made a few additions to it, hopefully everyone likes. He was my second favorite guy after Fujin in MKA and also first choice in MK D on xbox way back :) and want to say that I won't be listing AC combos at all....never been a big fan of them.

Ermac:

Want to play Ermac at high level? Then read this brief guide which will help you use Ermac. This guide will definitely help your game with Ermac or if you're just a nooby looking to master Ermac or for a few tips to get the basics down on him, this will also help you out a lot.

First off here's the chart for you.This way people know what I'm talking about concerning buttons and combos.

1=X for xbox or square for ps2
2=Y for xbox or Triangle for ps2
3=A for xbox or X for ps2
4=B for xbox or circle for ps2

Ermac is about baiting your opponent, catching them off guard with the telekinetic slam and doing combos. He's a range fighter/character but can hold his own up close. Unfortunately he loses a bit losing his Chua Chuan to Stryker(as he had some nice combos and set ups with this style in Deception, but sadly not as much in MKA....still with that being said, Ermac is still a good character to use. I'd stay in his axe more then anything is his best style in MKA but Choy Lee is still good too. In Axe, His 1, 3, 4, 4, 4 combo is great but be careful the 1, 3, in between 4, 4, 4 can be parried. A high level move SOME players not all can do. You can Parry in between the changing in punches. If you're playing someone that can parry well in between certain combo inputs then I recommend you DON'T use 1, 3, 4, 4, 4 against them/don't spam it....

What I do is just narrow it down and use 4, 4, 4 then go for the free throw if I'm facing someone who parry's well in between 3 and 4 in his five hit auto combo.Example of this:1, 3, (parry ) 4, 4, 4 they can parry in between the combo.I was only countered with a parry once with just 4, 4, 4 but was also facing someone with massive lag which I have no doubt was the exception in that case.It's never happened again after that time with just 4, 4, 4 in Axe. Mix it up between Choy Lee and Axe, if you're fast enough switch styles and buffer into his sweep, then back to Axe again just to play head games....trust me, if you can master this tactic it WORKS :)

But I tend to mix that up with D+1 in Axe that's down and X or whatever it is on PS2. It works well, all about mixing it up.Your 50/50's.

D+1 is his poke in Axe style, one of the best in the game and CAN'T be parried by your opponent. Mix this up with his axe combo also, mix up with just 4, 4, 4 in axe your opponent won't be able to parry it since it comes out fast then if you want there's a glitch in MKD and in MKA called a "free throw" meaning after certain moves you can get a free throw literally as in your opponent CAN'T block it or parry it. Mixing up the pokes with his 4, 4, 4 and Choy Lee moves can be devastating and annoying for your opponent to predict as long as you aren't predictable with it.

Another good low move is his D+3 in Axe, a little spin kick that is also unable to parry.His sweep, D+3 in Choy Lay Fut and D+1 in Axe are all moves that your opponents can't parry. Keep that in mind.

Immediately after the 4, 4, 4 despite whether you get the whole 1, 3, 4, 4, 4 or just 4, 4, 4 you can get a free throw after the last 4 in that combo.Throw immediately, your opponent will be stunned and won't be able to move therefore you can take the free throw if you want, thus increasing the damage for your opponent.At high level play or playing to win especially if going to play online I highly recommend you use this tactic.

Just about every character has them, some more then others. Ermac has a few.

Also, IF you're near a corner you can get free 46% damage with a great combo that's unbreakable hehe.To some they call it a partial infinite, compared to the other flaws in this game I hardly think it's that personally.It was in MKD and it's in MKA, however the difference is you can't do this anymore in MKA at midscreen.You must be NEAR a corner or IN a corner to pull this off.Near the corner say you get off a TK slam, immediately do this combo it's great in axe style and it's easy damage.

D+2(uppercut), TK slam, D+2, telethrow= 5 hits for about 45% at least.

A good mix up is his Sweep in Choy Lay, then immediately change styles into Axe and mixing up D+2 or Up+2 for combo opportunities of your liking.

This will only work near a corner however, it used to be able to be done in MKD anywhere on the screen but they fixed it so that it's not as easily done.Now in MKA it can only be done near a corner or in a corner.

Now in Choy Lay Fut, his sweep which is D+4, use this often but not constantly.Mix it up with his Axe style.It's a great sweep that most of the time your opponent won't see coming.

He also has some nice combos in Choy lay such as:

1, 1, back+2(launcher) TK slam, 1, 1, 2, telethrow for about 32+% or so

Or here's another one I like but takes practice doing.

It's mixing up both styles which some characters and players do:

In Choy Lay Fut 1, 1, back+2, TK slam, (switch styles here into Axe fast), 1, 3, 4, 4, 4, telethrow= 10 hits for around 40% or 42% or so.Great combo

Also, he has a free throw in this style too hehe.Do 1, 1, then immediately throw.It'll be a free throw and your opponent won't be able to escape it.He also has a free throw after 1, 1, 2 in choy lay fut.1, 1, 2, free throw.

Another one is this that I like

AXE style:

TK slam, D+2, TK Slam, 1, 3, 4, 4, 4, telethrow= 9 hits or so about 42% or so.

Another is AXE style:

TK Slam, 1, 3, 4, 4, 4, TK Slam, 1, 3, 4, 4, 4, telethrow=50% or so or 48% around this is a really powerful combo but tough to pull off, online there's lag that will most likely mess this combo up but can be done I've done it and definitely guaranteed offline.

Another one I use often is this:

TK slam, 1, 3, 4, 4, 4, TK slam, 4, 4, 4, telethrow=46% around there.It's easier then the previous one.

Fireball:is practically useless, it's slow and not that great.Use it ONLY if you're far away from your opponent and ONLY if they don't have a teleport.

Levitating Float move: is good, nobody uses it nearly enough online or as well as I do from what I've seen.Mix this move up wisely while you're in the air, most of the time the second you're in the air with this move your opponent will most likely jump away from you anticipating you'll do the ground pound(unblockable) yet a great tactic is to do the dart kick they'll still be jumping back and immediately do the TK slam.You'd be surprised how many time I've caught opponents with this "unique" tactic online.I like to call it the "Bait levitating tactic" it's a great tactic when done correctly and wisely.

Use it while in the air while you're away from your opponent say mid screen, stay there and when they go to jump kick(a charging opponent) you nail them with the levitating dart kick, it takes them out every time.At worst you'll trade hits with them but most of the time you'll take them out before they can take you out.

While in Levitating Float: Dart Kick is performed by hitting >+3 in midair once you're in the levitating float move.

His other move while in the air with that move is the ground pound, also great for mixing up with the dart kick and playing mind games with your opponents.

Ground Slam move in Levitating Float:Is done by hitting D+3 and it's unblockable.But be careful not to use this one too much, a simple jump kick can take you out or they'll jump it and attack you since the recovery off of it is slow.Also, note if you're fast enough you can get a free hit immediately after you use a breaker by doing the levitating move and doing the Ground Slam.It can be escaped if they're fast enough.I've escaped it myself but it's difficult.

But it's important to mix up these moves if you're going to use this move.

This is why It's important to mix this up with the dart kick if you're going to do the levitating move. Most don't use it but I do and it's won me close matches for me and my opponents don't know what to do so they jump constantly thinking I'll do the ground pound so when they get close to me jumping, I nail them with the dart kick or use the "bait levitating tactic" as listed above. You'll see what I mean try it out.Also, for the record it's a great move to run down the clock if you're winning.Your opponent most likely won't go near you as the clock is ticking. ; )

TK slam: is a great move, but use it wisely and only if you have an opening or after any launcher by Ermac, on block you're left wide open for attack.But this is his best move, once you nail your foe with this you're open to do combos of your own liking.Ermac's best move.

TK throw: is also great, only use this after a TK slam or to end a combo.You can use it normally but like the TK slam, you're left wide open for attack if blocked.It's a good move when done because it gives you distance between your opponent and yourself.

His Throw: is great too, but be careful if you throw someone near the corner they'll nail you with the wake up game kick or punch.Don't worry though, in most cases you won't throw near a corner and only a high level player will use the wake up on you.

His throw is good though, for 16% damage.This is why I recommend taking the free throw after the axe combo or after Choy Lay jabs that I listed before.

If you're playing to win, you'll have to take advantage of free throws because chances are your opponent will take advantage of theirs.He does have some AC(air cancel) combos too but I won't list them nor will I endorse them.I own with Ermac well enough without them. ; )

I've listed some of the best tactics for Ermac for you, good luck to all who read this.

Also, the lag will get to ya it sucks on ps2 but also on xbox.It's worse on ps2 though but you'll adapt to it.You'll experience slowdown, camera shifts etc you'll see for all here who are starting to play online.MKA online isn't the best.This will effect some of these combos online.He has some other combos, in fact he has countless combinations but I've listed some of the best.

Remember, another trick to playing Ermac well is to play defensive, be a little patient wait until you get an opening and use the TK move for combos after it.Bait them with his sweep, levitating moves and Mix up the Axe with Choy Lay Fut, use his pokes and take advantage of his free throws.He's an upper mid tier character.Definitely top 25 character for sure in this game.When used correctly can compete with just about anyone in this game(excluding bosses and KAKs) but I've even taken out KAK's and Sareenas with him just to give you an idea how good Ermac really is.If you get in close he's always a threat.And I also recommend him for Blaze, Molochs at times as his D+1 poke in axe mixed up with his Axe auto combos are great for beating blazes, molochs up close.You won't have to worry about this most of the time though concerning the bosses. Overall Ermac is a good mid tier character, IMO upper mid just for him being capable of competiting against higher characters but not quite as good as he was in Deception due to him losing Hua Chuan, but still even without that style Ermac is still a force to be reckoned with. I would rate him a 8 out of 10 honestly.

Good luck and have fun with Ermac, remember Ermac owns when used well and carefully! :)

I hope you all enjoy my little guide, advice and tactics on how to play/use Ermac in MKA :)

RoGE

Noob
also don't forget the terms
U = up
D = down
L = left
R = right
CS= Change styles
KAK= Kreate a Kharacter
FT= Free Throw
Turtle = playing very defensively, like a turtle going into its shell for protection
PC= Parry Cancel- canceling parry with a move to add range to it.
AC= Air cancel- canceling air combo with something to get back on the ground before your opponent does.

THTB

Ermac

Original source: MKF30

Pros:
+Great unbreakable damage, especially in corners.
+Good, safe poking game
+Tele-slam is an amazing punisher

Cons:
-Throw is bad to use near walls
-Long block disable on some useful mids
-Movement speed is not ideal

Overview
Ermac is a pretty solid character, capable of playing a pretty annoying poking game. Possessing arguably one of the best punishing capabilities in the game, Ermac can make a single mistake cost at the very least a guaranteed 1/3 of your life. Be careful, though, because his punishers are generally unsafe.

Important Moves
Tele-Kinetic-Slam (TKS) - Ermac's best move. Leads to unbreakable damage and is a fast punisher.
[Choy Lay Fut] 1 - Very good jab to poke at the opponent.
[Choy Lay Fut] d1 - One of Ermac's best lows. Quick startup and recovery.
[Choy Lay Fut] d3 - Gives Ermac advantage on hit. Use in mixups.
[Axe] d2 - Unbreakable that combos into TKS. Bad block disable time.
[Axe] 13444 - 1 is Ermac's best mid attack and each 4 is a free throw. Be careful, this string is easy to parry.
[Axe] d1 - Just as great as Choy Lay Fut d1...better range, just in a slow-moving stance.
[Axe] u2 - Mid launcher. Slow startup, but okay recovery.

Important Combos
TKS, Axe d2, TKS, Telekinetic Throw (32%) - Best midscreen unbreakable combo from TKS.
TKS, Axe d2, TKS, d2, TKS, Telekinetic Throw (41%) - Best corner unbreakable combo from TKS.
Axe d2, TKS, Telekinetic Throw (32%) - Best midscreen unbreakable combo from Axe d2.
Axe d2, TKS, d2, TKS, Telekinetic Throw (44%) - Best corner unbreakable combo from Axe d2.
Axe 13444, Throw (39%) - Ermac's free throw.
Axe u2, TKS, d2, TKS, Telekinetic Throw (37%) - Unbreakable after u2.

(There's a crapload of other combos you can do...but these few are notable in that, aside from the free throw, they take advantage of Ermac's huge unbreakable damage from a launcher).

Notable Matchups
vs Smoke (6:4) - Buffer TKS at slightly closer than midscreen during turtlefests. Why? Reaction to cloud. Easy 1/3 of his life gone for trying it. Your poking game is better also, as well as your range. Be thankful for the fact that he has no weapon! This is a fairly tough matchup for Smoke just because of this.

vs Sub (5:5) - TKS buffer does work in this matchup, but clone is a little bit faster than cloud on recovery, so it's harder to react to. Plus, Sub has a close-up game unlike Smoke. 13444 in Axe is dangerous...Sub has an impale glitch that can be landed off a parry to freeze ball. Be wary of how you poke Sub, because you may give him the round.

vs Tanya (6:4) - Because of how she hangs in the air during a fireball, TKS works quite well in this matchup. This will definitely force her to stay grounded. Take advantage of the fact that her normals outside of Yue Chuan d4 are horribly unsafe with unbreakable combos. She can't guess wrong or she's always losing 1/3 of her life, breaker or not.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
i actually have a list some where on my pc with atleast half the cast. it lists their High mids, mids and un parriable lows/specials i believe.

ill go look.

Nice job, MKF/THTB. I made a post in the other thread about some Ermac Tips. Hopefully ya'll can add them.. Heres one more:

Choy Lay Fut 1 is a free hit afterwards, so you dont have to focus around those unsafe mids. 1, 2, lift for example is his strongest popup.

KARATE

I always Play to Win.
It has been so long since i played MKA...But i will post my Favorite Scorpion P/C 58% Combo. *Checks discovery*

Make sure you face the camera or the first b+1 will whiff, Then in Hapkido press (up+4,b+1,pc,2,2,3,pc,b+1,cs,pc,2,2,1).

Here is the vid for it :)

Good times, man. Too bad you werent around when i found The Impale. That was fun as hell.

Kenshi Lift Inf MKD ftw.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Glad you like Check :) Ermac is a ton of fun IMO lol.

I'd love to see someone do a Kenshi one, I used him a lot in MK DA but not at all in MKA.

THTB

Sorry for neglecting this thread! I haven't really had much time to sit down and write up guides, but since my girlfriend is back home for the holiday break, I'll have more time to myself. :)