What's new

Mortal Kombat 9 to Injustice: Gods Among Us, a Kombat Tabloid Retrospective

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
While we wait through the next four weeks, here's something to think about. As interesting as it has become... who would have ever thought the Mortal Kombat team or "NetherRealm Studios" would ever be making a strictly DC Universe fighting game? After the the essential rebirth of the Mortal Kombat series... the plans NRS had would come by surprise to the Mortal Kombat players at the same time of rising some interest from the comic book fans. In this whole process from the time Injustice was announced until now, it's safe to say that we've welcomed this new fighting game as well as the thundering herd of DC comics fans with open arms.

The Kombat Tabloid's Cassellman tells the story - enjoy.

Attachments

Am I the only one with this opinion now, but ...

... could it be that it will look like NRS will go back in terms of complexity and technology when it comes to MK10 and if you compare the game with Injustice?
How much will they be able (allowed?) to change about MK10 to make it equaly as deep and as full of options as Injustice could be?

hellbly

Noob
Thundering... like in God of Thunder? I resent that :)
(or thundering like in Johnny Thunder? Or the daughter of Black Lightining? Yeah, it's me: a DC fan).
Two things to say: WB made a lot of bad choices in the last years, this is good one.
I've waited for a DC Comics FG for YEARS. I don't even know how many mugen related characters I have.

Spinky

Neutral Skipper

... could it be that it will look like NRS will go back in terms of complexity and technology when it comes to MK10 and if you compare the game with Injustice?
How much will they be able (allowed?) to change about MK10 to make it equaly as deep and as full of options as Injustice could be?
I thought about that too. I hope MK10 has as much depth as Injustice if not more, but still remains as accessible as it is now.

hellbly

Noob

sales will dictate that, I know it's trivial but bad sales for Injustice could push NRS back into familiar ground

sales will dictate that, I know it's trivial but bad sales for Injustice could push NRS back into familiar ground
Son, you should know exactly that Injustice will not struggle with the sales.
It probably won't even struggle with the reviews.

It could struggle with competetive players / or simply good fighting game players overall, if they have problems with the mechanics and so on. But these people will probably not be able to handicap the sales of the game.

RYX

BIG PUSHER

It could struggle with competetive players / or simply good fighting game players overall, if they have problems with the mechanics and so on. But these people will probably not be able to handicap the sales of the game.
It's going to struggle with the people who want it to struggle, that's all.

hellbly

Noob
Killzone

Don't be so sure about that: DC Comics has a great market in the US, but Europe (for example) is a different story. DC is a lot less know here, Marvel rules Europe.

Goku

Noob
Killzone

Don't be so sure about that: DC Comics has a great market in the US, but Europe (for example) is a different story. DC is a lot less know here, Marvel rules Europe.
Europe doesn't matter financially, there will be enough sales in the US alone for the game to be successful. That definitely will not be an issue, the game will be pretty popular here, especially with the casuals just wanting to play characters like Batman or Aquaman.

Killzone
I am from Europe and from my perception people in Europe don't give a fuck about superheroes overall. People in Europe seem to be faaaaaar more about animes and mangas, than superhero shows and comic books.

But since we had the Nolan Batman movies, which most of the people like (while I honestly think that they were horrible) and the new Superman movie on its way, I think that the game will even sell copies in Europe.

PS: Europe = best country.

hellbly

Noob
Europe doesn't matter financially, there will be enough sales in the US alone for the game to be successful. That definitely will not be an issue, the game will be pretty popular here, especially with the casuals just wanting to play characters like Batman or Aquaman.
Hope so, but I don't think Europe is so irrelevant (not because I live here): FG doesn't sell much, every market is important.

I am from Europe and from my perception people in Europe don't give a fuck about superheroes overall. People in Europe seem to be faaaaaar more about animes and mangas, than superhero shows and comic books.

But since we had the Nolan Batman movies, which most of the people like (while I honestly think that they were horrible) and the new Superman movie on its way, I think that the game will even sell copies in Europe.

You're somewhat right about superheroes overall, still Marvel has many branches in European countries (Italy, UK, Germany... maybe others): instead DC is almost absent.
I'm not a fan of Nolan movies too, but I hope the game will sell enough to ensure people to play with.

PS: Europe prevails!

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.

yoo word on the street around here suggests that injustice will do very very well, i have buddies that work at gamestop and 1 month ago when i did my pre orders they said injjustice had 139 pre oders for xbox 360. mind you i dont live in a big city and their are many other gamestops around here. comparitively at that game stop Black ops 2 had 405 pre orders by the end of it on xbox 360. i am willing to bet everyone and their mothers will be buying this shit!!

Mikayel

Well-Known Gay Member
Yeah Europe is totally about Mangas unfortunately (i hate mangas) but i think this game will still sell with the right promotion
Also Marvel totally needs a darker game like Injustice - away from the Capcom mess :x I hate the colorful weird gameplay they have lol - you don't even see how you hit someone it's just colors..
Now i am not a pro fighting game player - i do enjoy them a lot and I love Marvel but i just can't decide to buy that game - for me the graphics and the way it plays are just meehhh - i feel like it's a 90's fighting game.. MK has always rocked my world and for me it will always stay the best Fighting game created (well NRS generally) - maybe Tekken would come next..

Fatality_check

Never Gonna Give

I dunno. I wouldn't say we don't care at all about them. I know a lot of people who love this shit and a lot of people who are very casual and probably bum the fuck out of it because of Nolan's Batmans, like you said. Basically, It will sell well. I think even the Marvels lovers who even slightly like DC would be interested. Manga can sod off.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
What I find really cool yet ironic as if it's destined to happen is

WB=owns DC comics and MK

Disney=owns Marvel and with the games Capcom makes Marvel games

WB and Disney are rivals

NRS and Capcom are Rivals lol

At the end of the day though I'll always support WB and NRS more, darker stories, better series(IMO) are owned by WB and I'll gladly watch Looney Tunes any day over Mickey Mouse lol

Still, all that being said I'm proud of the success and work NRS/MK team has accomplished with MKvsDCU, MK9 and Injustice coming out. I'm sure MK10 will be MK9 and then some once that's out too at this rate. It just proves my theory that I've always had supporting Boon and the MK team. You give them the proper tools, time and such and they will make you a good product. You RUSH anyone don't care how good an artist you are, and you get a rushed product(cough*midway*cough) that's why to this day one of my favorite quotes/sayings is "You can't rush Art" and that is indeed true, no matter what it is.

Hope so, but I don't think Europe is so irrelevant (not because I live here): FG doesn't sell much, every market is important.

You're somewhat right about superheroes overall, still Marvel has many branches in European countries (Italy, UK, Germany... maybe others): instead DC is almost absent.
I'm not a fan of Nolan movies too, but I hope the game will sell enough to ensure people to play with.

PS: Europe prevails!
That may be true in parts of Europe with Marvel and DC, but overall worldwide, DC is bigger then Marvel at the end of the day. Batman and Superman alone I'd wager are way more popular then anyone in Marvel and so far the world's best selling comic ever belongs to DC with the Death Of Superman arch....while in that time to present both DC and Marvel have had success and flops with sales, stories etc neither has yet to best the sales of that arch. Just proves Superman is still and most likely will always be king of the comic world.

hellbly

Noob
That may be true in parts of Europe with Marvel and DC, but overall worldwide, DC is bigger then Marvel at the end of the day. Batman and Superman alone I'd wager are way more popular then anyone in Marvel and so far the world's best selling comic ever belongs to DC with the Death Of Superman arch....while in that time to present both DC and Marvel have had success and flops with sales, stories etc neither has yet to best the sales of that arch. Just proves Superman is still and most likely will always be king of the comic world.
I'm not disagreeing with you but I don't think you can make a real comparison because overall comics sales are way lower now than in the 80s
The best seller comic of the last 10 years is the Spider Man issue with Obama on the cover, it passed the half-million mark, but it's almost a unique case. Average sales are now well under 100k.
Superman (or Batman) is the biggest pop icon coming from comics, but comics reader are mostly Marvel oriented now... I don't want to digress too much talking about the new 52 sales or the Marvel NOW! relaunch.
I'll tell you this: you're right about Superman but Warner is not backing DC o DC related productions with
the necessary strength to compete... especially towards foreign markets.

Reedoms

Noob
I'm not disagreeing with you but I don't think you can make a real comparison because overall comics sales are way lower now than in the 80s
It's because Marvel and DC refuse to lower prices. I'm not paying 5 bucks for 28 pages of a book. I'll trade wait if they are going to pull that shit. Hell, even their digital stuff is overpriced. Some stuff goes for $2.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
The best seller comic of the last 10 years is the Spider Man issue with Obama on the cover, it passed the half-million mark, but it's almost a unique case. Average sales are now well under 100k.
Superman (or Batman) is the biggest pop icon coming from comics, but comics reader are mostly Marvel oriented now... I don't want to digress too much talking about the new 52 sales or the Marvel NOW! relaunch.
I'll tell you this: you're right about Superman but Warner is not backing DC o DC related productions with
the necessary strength to compete... especially towards foreign markets.
Oh I'm sure, especially with so many stories to follow and writers doing different stories, some of the same of which jumping back and forth between DC and Marvel(some fans hate this) Plus prices have gone up (with everything since the 80's) so I'm sure that don't help lol

Me personally, I don't care about that stuff(some people judge due to writers alone with style, not me unless they get political. IMO politics have no place in comics except if it's comic politics(not based on real life or real life people) but just an interesting, cool story will do it for me.

In that time, people die, come back, die etc lol this also annoys people. As long as it makes sense then I'm all for the whole resurrection gig. That Spiderman may be the best selling past 10 years(and probably due to the "Obama gimmick", there are people here in the USA who practically worship the guy so this doesn't surprise me) but definitely not the best story out there past 10 years, most believe that belongs to Blackest Night arch or pre-Flash point even. Still, even with Obama's face on the cover not even that comic can touch the DOS arch from the 90's. DC tried that doing that with political nonsense late last year with Superman "renouncing" his american citizenship but DC overturned it changing it back in the next comic due to the fans outrage and for good reason. You change a characters well known quote character when he's preaching "I fight for Truth, Justice & the American way" historically that writer was just a dumb lib trying to speak through Superman politically which didn't sit well with a lot of people(understandably) Because Superman always get political lol(sarcasm there)

Yeah, New 52 are getting better and interesting I find personally and some Marvel currently but then you also have Batman Death arch which did well too. Even the Smallville comic isn't bad being a fan of younger Superman.

hellbly

Noob
It's because Marvel and DC refuse to lower prices. I'm not paying 5 bucks for 28 pages of a book. I'll trade wait if they are going to pull that shit. Hell, even their digital stuff is overpriced. Some stuff goes for $2.
it's true but... my standard for 'quality comics' is significantly higher now than I was a kid: I still like to follow the news, the comicdom, but I read only the comics written by few 'selected' authors. Often weeks later the release dates.
I'd buy more at a lower price, but the real issue is the poor quality of the stories.

about comics!
The worst thing about DC after the reboot is the 'editorial chaos': too many authors reported interferences by some kind of Warner appointed managers; the continuity is in the most complete disarray and I find very difficult to care about series that could be ended after half a dozen issues.
It's a couple of years now, DC did the best to become like Marvel: the sales got up really quick and stayed there for almost an year, now the Marvel relaunch is doing pretty good in sales and all around quality, and DC is going down again... I want to say that a relaunch would be enough to boost the sales, like Marvel did, without another Crisis to broke years-long storylines like Brightest Day, Hawkman or Batman inc.