What's new

Mortal Kombat 9 (Home Console) Arcade Cabinet Build

YourMKArcadeSource

Your Source For All Things MK Arcade Related
OK Gang. Sorry for the hold up on live video of the MK9 cab but I've had problems with the controls. The MK Fight Sticks that I gutted for the project work perfectly for PS3 games but not for the PS2 games. I did this project not just for MK9, but I wanted to play all the other home console MK games on the cabinet as well.

When I load a PS2 game, all the controls get disconnected, as is the norm, then it prompts me to "Press the PS Button." When I do, nothing happens. The Fight Sticks are not compatible with the PS2 games because the firmware on the PS3 won't let them communicate when the PS2 game is loaded. Crap.

When I use a wireless PS3 controller, it connects and works fine. Same goes for a PS2 controller. I have an adapter that converts the PS2 controller to USB so I can plug it in and use it on the PS3. That also works fine. So I decided to hack a PS2 controller for the P2 side and a wireless PS3 controller (hooked up via USB) for the P1 side so I can have a "PS" button because without that, I'd have to reset the system to play a different game due to not being able to access the "Quit Game" feature.

That all being said, I have successfully hacked the PS2 and PS3 controllers. I hooked them both up and they work perfectly for all PS2 and PS3 games Woo Hoo! I will be re-doing the control panel in the morning to delete the "L2" buttons and adding a "Select" button where the P2 "PS" button is now because the only way to exit any of the "MK Arcade Kollection" games is to press "Select."

Stay tuned. For now, here are some teaser pics of the hacked controllers. The first two are the PS2. The second 2 are the PS3...

RelentlessOhio

Divekick x 1000
You're just a God damn genius, that's so awesome. I assume you've got some kind of electrical/mechanical engineering degree :p

YourMKArcadeSource

You're just a God damn genius, that's so awesome. I assume you've got some kind of electrical/mechanical engineering degree :p
Lol, thanks. Actually, I have been working with electronics/wiring/schematics/etc for nearly 15 years. There's really not much I can't figure out given the right materials/plans/etc.

These controllers were rather easy to hack because all I had to do was follow the traces right to the correct connections.

YourMKArcadeSource

Ok. Here's the live video of the machine in action, explaining how it works and all. (skip to 2:30). This is geared towards my Youtube subs more than you guys here, so just keep that in mind. Opinions are welcome, good or bad. Thanks....(I'd recommend choosing the 1080p option)

MK9

Noob
What monitor did u use, since that's not the one that came in the factory cab

That's the control layout I have been using since mkda on my custom stick.

YourMKArcadeSource

What monitor did u use, since that's not the one that came in the factory cab

That's the control layout I have been using since mkda on my custom stick.
It's a 24.8" Tri-mode Makvision accepting VGA from the CGA to VGA converter. Works and looks great!