What's new

Mortal Kombat 9 (Home Console) Arcade Cabinet Build

YourMKArcadeSource

Your Source For All Things MK Arcade Related
Got the artwork from the print shop today. 2 problems. They only printed 1 control panel side and they printed the marquee on vinyl instead of a translite material so I will have to wait until Monday for those but that's ok. I installed the vinyl print of the marquee just to show how it looks. I have dismantled the control panel and I need to drill/cut some new lexan before installing the control panel overlay art because it will have a new layout for the start buttons as well as the additional buttons needed. Here are the pics. Almost done...

YourMKArcadeSource

Well gang, only a few things left and this project will be D-O-N-E! I am waiting for the correct marquee (my print shop printed the marquee on vinyl instead of a translite), the other control panel side art print (my print shop only printed one), a 12V power supply for the coin door lights and a cooling fan for the PS3. Video of the machine in action and details of how it's all hooked up and operating are coming soon. Stay tuned and thanks a lot for following along with this project!!

YourMKArcadeSource

After careful consideration and some game play...I've made a mistake by adding the L2 button to the control panel. Turns out the L2 button is for "Tag" and since this is not a 4-Player setup, there's no need for it. I am going to redo the control panel, reprint the CPO and get rid of the L2. I can't get rid of R1. R2 is "Block" and R1 is "Throw." R1 has to stay. I'll get it fixed soon. Until then, I'll put a button plug in the L2 spot.

YourMKArcadeSource

Ugh. 9 hours of Photoshop labor (I'm just learning how to use it). Stayed up all night and completed a full move/fatality list for all 32 characters for the MK9 cab. Here are some pics. Opinions?

YourMKArcadeSource

Received some good advice and decided to make the MK9 bezel a bit better. I shrunk the characters down a bit, added their names and roughly centered them over their move lists. Looks much better. Opinions?

Backfire

Noob
looks really good. not a fan of the bezels though, seems to be too much going on.

overall it looks great though.

YourMKArcadeSource

looks really good. not a fan of the bezels though, seems to be too much going on.

overall it looks great though.
Thanks! I made the bezel because I really don't know any of the moves. I spent all of 2011 and 2012 in Afghanistan and most of 2013 working a shit-ton of overtime so believe it or not, I'm just now getting enough free time to start playing and learning MK9. I need the bezel.

YourMKArcadeSource

Took some final pictures before putting the cabinet in the game row. Installed a fan to keep the PS3 cool, a 12vdc power supply to run the coin door lights and today I picked up a new control panel overlay print to re-do the control panel. I'm deleting the unnecessary L1 button. I dropped off the bezel art to the printer today so that will go on soon. Here are the pictures. Thanks for your interest...

Received some good advice and decided to make the MK9 bezel a bit better. I shrunk the characters down a bit, added their names and roughly centered them over their move lists. Looks much better. Opinions?

This looks great! Loved how you added distance letters for the fatalities. The characters are nicely centered over the move list. In some places, the names of the characters are bleeding into the move list ( like how Nightwolf's name is bleeding into "Shoulder Charge" on the move list). But I understand space is tight.

YourMKArcadeSource

This looks great! Loved how you added distance letters for the fatalities. The characters are nicely centered over the move list. In some places, the names of the characters are bleeding into the move list ( like how Nightwolf's name is bleeding into "Shoulder Charge" on the move list). But I understand space is tight.
Thanks!

MK9

Noob
Came out great, I don't think people realize how much a build like this cost. I'm guessing u are into this project at least 1600.

That's not the original monitor that came with the midway cab is it? I no it's like impossible to convert the old rgb monitor to NTSC.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
This turned out pretty amazing. Did you put anything in there to hold the PS3 in place?

YourMKArcadeSource

Thanks everyone. Not including the PS3 and the arcade monitor (I already had those), I'm into this for approximately $1500. You were close MK9. That includes cost of the cabinet, artwork printing, 2 fights sticks to gut (they ended up being a waste of $ because they aren't compatible with the PS2 games), computer speaker setup, new wireless PS3 controller to hack and some other odds/ends. If I hadn't already had the monitor and the PS3, this would have cost me roughly $2150.

Now for some behind the scenes info. The MK fight sticks I gutted to use for the project don't work for the PS2 games. So what I had to do was hack a PS2 controller for P2 and a PS3 wireless controller for P1. That way the PS3 controller allows me to use the PS button to escape out whatever game I'm playing, PS2 or PS3, and get back to the main menu. If I just used two PS2 controllers, I'd have to reset the system every time I wanted to exit a game.

The PS2 controllers are compatible for both PS2 and PS3 games via a USB converter and the wireless PS3 controller works for both as well, even when tethered via USB.

Stay tuned. I'll post an in-depth video of everything including the machine in action. Thanks again. In the mean time, P3irce, here is a video (sans MK9 cabinet)....