What's new

Mortal Kombat 11 roster survey: The Netherkast 88

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Tanya and Shujinko please, thank you very much ( Well i don't really care about Shujinko but I really want Tanya again)
I forget, did Shujinko even make the list?
I should've written down the whole damn list...

Okay. I'm gonna lay some beautiful knowledge on you sexy muscular bastards.
This is how I feel. Let it konsume you.

Before I begin, I hope someone can help explain to me what it was they did with the Kamidogu in the comics, because it could invalidate whatever insane argument i'm about to make. This is a case made with the thought in mind that they're still going to be a serious crux of the story. Other than the ability to trap, corrupt Shinnok and fire pretty lasers, its whole reason to exist in the story is that it's the device that fuses the Kamidogu and recongregates the One Being. Don't know why it would still be so important if that wasn't still the endgame. But I didn't finish the comics, and idk how canon they're considered, so...could be wrong.
But here we go, in case I'm not.

First: playing devil's advocate because I absolutely want Shujinko in, but I know a lot of people don't.
You CAN'T make the fucking game that revolves around the Kamidogu without the guy whose entire purpose in life is to gather the Kamidogu. However, you CAN, technically, open the game with a story-establishing chapter that highlights whichever stories are in motion, out comes Shujinko, here comes so and so, dead, new person chasing the Kamidogu.

It has been confirmed, I'm pretty sure, that this game is going to be the new timeline take on Deception and Armageddon, with MK4 and Deadly Alliance being mutated into something brand new-ish in MKX as its precursor. If we're sticking to the original story - like, whatever can still happen happens the same if that person is still alive/corporeal - it can be safely assumed that the SUB-plots of MKDA may still very well be going on, like the resurrection of Onaga most prominently, which would require Reptile, Nitara, and for Cyrax to come out from wherever he's hiding.
It is bad enough that Fujin hasnt been playable since MKA and that he of all people missed MKX. But I think it'd be even dirtier to relegate the character who was, to the best of his knowledge until the carpet gets pulled out from under him, brought into creation to fulfill whatever final goal it is the Kamidogu will serve when he gathers them all...to cutscene or NPC status.
A lot of you may not believe in the old man, but I do.
Shujinko is our Master Roshi. He's our Pai Mei. He is the literal master of a thousand holds.
He is every badass skullbreaking old man in every fighting game ever, rolled into one.
He is Granddad AND Stinkmeaner at the same fucking time.
His entire life has been a battle since the moment he trained with Bo Rai Cho and left the village.
The man deserves a real shot.

Second: It wouldn't just be good for business. It'd be good for the story.
Scorpion, as of right now, doesn't have a damn thing to do. Quan and Shinnok are dead, the Shirai Ryu & Lin Kuei are all homies, being alive and not having to chase QC across hell means no having to fight Moloch and Drahmin or get thrown into the Soulnado...none of it. Buuuuut that also means he doesn't become the not imposter Champion of the Elder Gods in the last fight of MKD Konquest. So he's gotta be sent on that quest via other means...how, I have not that far ahead yet, but I believe Hanzo is going to semi get his arcade ending where he gets powered up with Jinsei and works for the Elder Gods. Maybe/hopefully from Fujin, but also maybe from a new character. His whole future's been reset a few times over, it can go either way. But it ends the same, in him having to fight Shujinko. You do the Shujinko story, it means he's not actually the Champion. so you need an actual anoited Champion. Math.

Third, and this is just a spooky hypothesis of a way the Armageddon arc could go if i'm right...

...do you think the same thing will happen that happened the first time, that everyone who was part of the Mortal Kombat conflict across the realms was brought back to life when the Pyramid of Argus rose? I mean, that story would carry WAY more emotional weight now that we've literally watched Armageddon replay itself with Raiden ending up in Shao Kahn's actual shoes, but it'll be absolutely bonkers if they do, and there's a giant fight there in that pit again...and you end up with Raiden and Liu fighting on top...was "He Must Win" meant for THIS fight? Most importantly, was MKD Dark Raiden THAT FAR ahead of the game that he saw Past Raiden overthrowing Shao Kahn and fighting Shinnok and being corrupted? That one of them had to leave with the power of Blaze and it couldnt be him because he was corrupted? Because if the presumed Kung Jin/Kung Lao story from the endings happens and KJ helps Lao get himself right even though he's a wraith, then you just have to have Lao go talk some beautiful knowledge to Emperor Kang, Liu snaps out of it and decides not to be a dick anymore, so that by the time he GETS to the top of the Pyramid, then you have someone win who isn't Evil (Kahn) or corrupted (Raiden) who's kiiiinda pure of soul again. Bam.

BUT THERE'S ONE MORE PLUG I HAVE TO GET IN

GUESS WHO YOU COULD ADD TO THE ROSTER THAT COULD PURIFY LITERALLY ANYONE THAT'S LEFT THAT WAS RESURRECTED BY QUAN CHI'S MAGIC BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT SHE DOES

TAKE A GUESS

https://goo.gl/images/2aiaZ2

ASHRAH SOLVES ALL OF THOSE PROBLEMS

You want Liu Kang alive so he can save us from Armageddon?
One tap on the shoulder with her Kriss, poof. You're good, Liu.
Kitana. Sindel. Kabal. Lao. Any of them.
Hell, SHANG TSUNG. Maybe he was wandering down there after he assimilated Ermac and ran into her and now he's righteous.

She's a reformed, revived demon with a magic sword that can help purify souls.
That's storyline loophole closing gold.
And in the age we're in, a good guy serious and seriously important imposing woman figure who isnt young, eye candy, or Sonya, could go a significantly long way.

Shujinko and Ashrah.
They deserve it. They make sense. Make them happen.

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
I forget, did Shujinko even make the list?
I should've written down the whole damn list...

Okay. I'm gonna lay some beautiful knowledge on you sexy muscular bastards.
This is how I feel. Let it konsume you.

Before I begin, I hope someone can help explain to me what it was they did with the Kamidogu in the comics, because it could invalidate whatever insane argument i'm about to make. This is a case made with the thought in mind that they're still going to be a serious crux of the story. Other than the ability to trap, corrupt Shinnok and fire pretty lasers, its whole reason to exist in the story is that it's the device that fuses the Kamidogu and recongregates the One Being. Don't know why it would still be so important if that wasn't still the endgame. But I didn't finish the comics, and idk how canon they're considered, so...could be wrong.
But here we go, in case I'm not.

First: playing devil's advocate because I absolutely want Shujinko in, but I know a lot of people don't.
You CAN'T make the fucking game that revolves around the Kamidogu without the guy whose entire purpose in life is to gather the Kamidogu. However, you CAN, technically, open the game with a story-establishing chapter that highlights whichever stories are in motion, out comes Shujinko, here comes so and so, dead, new person chasing the Kamidogu.

It has been confirmed, I'm pretty sure, that this game is going to be the new timeline take on Deception and Armageddon, with MK4 and Deadly Alliance being mutated into something brand new-ish in MKX as its precursor. If we're sticking to the original story - like, whatever can still happen happens the same if that person is still alive/corporeal - it can be safely assumed that the SUB-plots of MKDA may still very well be going on, like the resurrection of Onaga most prominently, which would require Reptile, Nitara, and for Cyrax to come out from wherever he's hiding.
It is bad enough that Fujin hasnt been playable since MKA and that he of all people missed MKX. But I think it'd be even dirtier to relegate the character who was, to the best of his knowledge until the carpet gets pulled out from under him, brought into creation to fulfill whatever final goal it is the Kamidogu will serve when he gathers them all...to cutscene or NPC status.
A lot of you may not believe in the old man, but I do.
Shujinko is our Master Roshi. He's our Pai Mei. He is the literal master of a thousand holds.
He is every badass skullbreaking old man in every fighting game ever, rolled into one.
He is Granddad AND Stinkmeaner at the same fucking time.
His entire life has been a battle since the moment he trained with Bo Rai Cho and left the village.
The man deserves a real shot.

Second: It wouldn't just be good for business. It'd be good for the story.
Scorpion, as of right now, doesn't have a damn thing to do. Quan and Shinnok are dead, the Shirai Ryu & Lin Kuei are all homies, being alive and not having to chase QC across hell means no having to fight Moloch and Drahmin or get thrown into the Soulnado...none of it. Buuuuut that also means he doesn't become the not imposter Champion of the Elder Gods in the last fight of MKD Konquest. So he's gotta be sent on that quest via other means...how, I have not that far ahead yet, but I believe Hanzo is going to semi get his arcade ending where he gets powered up with Jinsei and works for the Elder Gods. Maybe/hopefully from Fujin, but also maybe from a new character. His whole future's been reset a few times over, it can go either way. But it ends the same, in him having to fight Shujinko. You do the Shujinko story, it means he's not actually the Champion. so you need an actual anoited Champion. Math.

Third, and this is just a spooky hypothesis of a way the Armageddon arc could go if i'm right...

...do you think the same thing will happen that happened the first time, that everyone who was part of the Mortal Kombat conflict across the realms was brought back to life when the Pyramid of Argus rose? I mean, that story would carry WAY more emotional weight now that we've literally watched Armageddon replay itself with Raiden ending up in Shao Kahn's actual shoes, but it'll be absolutely bonkers if they do, and there's a giant fight there in that pit again...and you end up with Raiden and Liu fighting on top...was "He Must Win" meant for THIS fight? Most importantly, was MKD Dark Raiden THAT FAR ahead of the game that he saw Past Raiden overthrowing Shao Kahn and fighting Shinnok and being corrupted? That one of them had to leave with the power of Blaze and it couldnt be him because he was corrupted? Because if the presumed Kung Jin/Kung Lao story from the endings happens and KJ helps Lao get himself right even though he's a wraith, then you just have to have Lao go talk some beautiful knowledge to Emperor Kang, Liu snaps out of it and decides not to be a dick anymore, so that by the time he GETS to the top of the Pyramid, then you have someone win who isn't Evil (Kahn) or corrupted (Raiden) who's kiiiinda pure of soul again. Bam.

BUT THERE'S ONE MORE PLUG I HAVE TO GET IN

GUESS WHO YOU COULD ADD TO THE ROSTER THAT COULD PURIFY LITERALLY ANYONE THAT'S LEFT THAT WAS RESURRECTED BY QUAN CHI'S MAGIC BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT SHE DOES

TAKE A GUESS

https://goo.gl/images/2aiaZ2

ASHRAH SOLVES ALL OF THOSE PROBLEMS

You want Liu Kang alive so he can save us from Armageddon?
One tap on the shoulder with her Kriss, poof. You're good, Liu.
Kitana. Sindel. Kabal. Lao. Any of them.
Hell, SHANG TSUNG. Maybe he was wandering down there after he assimilated Ermac and ran into her and now he's righteous.

She's a reformed, revived demon with a magic sword that can help purify souls.
That's storyline loophole closing gold.
And in the age we're in, a good guy serious and seriously important imposing woman figure who isnt young, eye candy, or Sonya, could go a significantly long way.

Shujinko and Ashrah.
They deserve it. They make sense. Make them happen.
NRS so no

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
NRS so no
-.- that is just barf.

i hope i get published to i can write a fighting game story and have it made by fighting game peeps that actually give a good goddamn about making a great story. there's so much potential in all the ground that's already been laid out that i really, really friggin' hope they make good use of.

#AshrahShujinko2019
#PauloHireMePls

I think contrast is what really makes a good mortal kombat roster. In mk9 you had the sexy agile jade vs the monstrous sheeva, the high tech cyborgs vs the primitive nightwolf, and always you have the hot scorpion vs the cool subzero. A common complaint about the mkx roster was too many special forces.

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
If we get Sindel and Tanya I have no complaints otherwise. Would also be nice to get Sheeva and Jade back. Kitana and Mileena feel like pretty safe bets, so I'm not worried there.

My issue as @QueenOmega said is that the female characters are my favorites and NRS rosters skew very, very heavily male.

In terms of characters we haven't seen in a while, I think Ashrah deserves another chance. She had a really great concept but her weak moveset design made her not memorable at all as part of the roster.

Zombie Liu kang please... Even as a costume.
All the Special forces + Kano, Stryker,Nightwolf,Raiden,Boraicho, Raiko and Sindel.
Give me all the power rangers ( all the male ninja colors). and Chameleon.
Also the female power rangers too ( all the female ninja colors). and Khameleon.
All the ugly mo-fockers (Baraka, Goro,Kintaro, Motaro (IDGAF how They will do Motaro it but do it for god's sake), Shao kahn.)

If They do it even as a 1/3 of them as DLC I would be happy.
They can add any other char They want after... But the pure Mortal Kombat roster as priority first please.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I want Kai, Ashrah, or nightwolf back
THAT is another story I hope they elaborate on.

There's possibilities foreshadowed in MKD Konquest and the lore that fit perfectly into the living/dead/wraith tally right now.
Nightwolf is one of them. He's still all wraithed out and in all likelihood wandering the Netherrealm, buuuut that's exactly where he was in the old story around this time as well. You run into him on the way through your travels while he's in the Netherrealm trying to purify his soul, and then meet him again later when he does the same service for you, but you end up having to go back and be recorrupted because realm travel reasons.
So, with just a little nudge to the storyline, *POOF*, you could have reanimated AND purified AND strong as the Void Red Axe having Nightwolf, just in time for the biggest confrontation ever. Now, if you've followed my earlier advice, NRS, and Ashrah made the cut and did the stuff, you have TWO people capable of undoing all that's left of the horrible shit that Quan Chi and Shinnok did, which means the old addage "No one stays dead in Mortal Kombat" is once again fully applicable. And if you're doing the full Six Realms angle again, you're going to need extra mmph to reanimate Sindel, who was dead BEFORE she became super dead and prior to that killed like a third of the roster in two cutscenes. But you can't have Edenia without her, I don't think. Kitana has the Netherrealm and Jade is more a Hand To The Queen than the full butter and bread. Gotta be the Queen of Queens.