What's new

Mortal Kombat 11 roster survey: The Netherkast 88

Charybdis

We are returned! Death to the False Emperor!
As it is right now, the NRS scene is in it's traditional biennial down time but the anticipation is slowly building for the next NRS project. If the pattern holds, it could be announced within a few months and, if the pattern holds, it could very well be Mortal Kombat 11.

Mortal Kombat 11 is gonna be important for many reasons. Notably, it'll tell us where NRS see their flagship franchise going story-wise and stylistically, whether NRS will continue with their unfortunately-now-signature trend of guest characters despite that well running extremely dry at this stage, what direction the story will take, whether the meta will change and, perhaps most importantly, the roster.

Arguably the most common criticism of MKX was its roster. From those who object to the presence of the next generation of Cassie, Jacqui, Takeda and Kung Jin, to those who object to the proliferation of Special Forces characters (Sonya, Jax and Cage), to those who object to the presence of characters with next to nothing to do in with the story of the game (Kenshi, Kung Lao and Kitana) and those who object to the lack of any real 'surprise' characters or 3d era characters.

In particular, seriously where the **** is Fujin?

This guy Ed. This guy right here.
This issue has bee discussed on several threads on this very website and the key problem that arises is that there's a distinct feeling of 'now or never' for several characters. Leaving aside the....em....dregs of the 3d era, notably Hsu Hao, Mavado, Drahmin, Dairou, Darrius, Kobra and Kira (and I say that as an avowed fanboy of Drahmin and Kobra), characters like Nitara, Li Mei, Havik, Hotaru, Shujinko, Onaga, Taven and Daegon have their fair share of fans and a lot of potential story-wise and gameplay-wise and have all been lampshaded in MK9 and MKX. If they don't appear now, will we ever see them again?

And what about the lesser lights of the Trilogy roster? Sindel, Sheeva, Nightwolf, Kabal, Stryker, Jade?

And Cyrax, Sektor and Smoke need the full character treatment. And Rain, Tanya and Bo Rai Cho's time has come.

And we can't leave out Scorpion, Sub Zero, Raiden and Liu Kang can we?

And Noob isn't actually dead right?

And you can't make an MK game without Reptile right? But we can all agree that Ermac needs to sit out?

And Shang Tsung has gotta be nailed on?

And what has the point of introducing the new characters if we don't bring them back and develop them? Ferra/Torr aside obviously.

See where the problem arises?

There's a lot of characters here is what I''m saying. I'm not even going to count to make sure they're all there.

Well, the boys over at the Netherkast have taken the initiative on this. In a great idea, they've compiled a poll with the entire Mortal Kombat roster and allowed up to 30 spaces for you, yes you, to vote for the 30 characters you want most on that roster. Their latest episode is a damn thorough discussion of this issue, guaranteed to split opinions, with hot takes, blow ups and shit talking aplenty.

In addition to the usual Netherkast crew, @JangoGM of the Netherkast side project lends his dulcet tones to this episode, bringing his signature irrational hatred of 3d characters.

Have your say for the upcoming roster here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfBXvHcB-fSLuH4Mnj0GUwc3aOftT0pdeDFoVebLY5MYi5kjQ/viewform

And everyone should note, this poll is being pushed on a lot of different platforms and media: there's as good a chance of NRS seeing this as any other poll and this is your chance to have your voice heard! Boon and NRS pride themselves on listening to the fans (sometimes, anyway), so let them know what you think! The roster for MK11 (or whatever the next MK game is) is probably being finalized right now, so this could be our last chance. Have your say!

As always, check back to Test Your Might for all the latest news on all the happenings in the NRS community and scene, including Injustice and Mortal Kombat!

Darth-Nero

Come Thunder! Come Lightning!
Also Raiden got the highest rate 80.2% in this whole poll even though he's almost guaranteed to be in the main rooster, faith in community restored <3

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
A new Netherkast?! My credit score just jumped up 214 points, and I can feel my legs again! Thanks, boys!

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Awesome. As anticipated, Ermac, Smoke and Noob are still more popular than Reptile and Rain while Scorpion and Sub-Zero are literally neck in neck lol in the poll. Not surprising lol.

Yes, Fujin better be in MK 11!! Nice idea, I'll spread the word!

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I, Doctor Angel, offer my passionate and insane services to anyone willing to debate this topic for the sake of views and divisive arguments. There are too many roster slots I want to argue for that I'd love a passionate counter argument against.

I am a passionate loon, with a really sexy vernacular.
I can make Kai and Mokap sound good.
Keep the argument going, because I want to join it.
All of the MK11 hype <3

I'm up to #10/11 thus far, and so far I agree with the whole list.
Sorry, Ermac, but I'm hoping they keep the MKX ending, send him down to developmental, and let Shang Tsung get his licks in.
Then he can come back next time and do the same.

Last edited:

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Gonna add the rest of my thoughts to this post, but...
#15: I'll be the first to say publically, I won't be upset if Johnny doesn't come back this game.
The "he isn't a character, he's an archetype," i fully agree. And they'll never let him be as good as he was in MK9 again.
He's literally the person who saved the world and whose progeny saved it again.
He's had his moments.

The bottom 4 results don't surprise me. But still...idk. I want Darrius to get in.
He is literally Disco Morpheus. Give him a chance.

Mavado...I can take him or leave him. He was Antonio Banderas Maskless Kabal.
Hsu Hao was better. A and fought uniquely.

ERRON BLACK IS NOT COOLER THAN REPTILE

*ahem*
Just needed to let that off my chest.

(fucking hooker cowboy with too much change in his pockets...)

#23: NO. MILEENA IS DEAD. LEAVE HER THERE.
THERE ARE LITERALLY ALMOST A DOZEN OTHER WOMEN YOU CAN PUT OVER IN HER PLACE.
GIVE HER A BREAK.

#24: "He was a broken bastard, and he was a beautiful thing to behold."
MK9 Cyrax <3 <3 <3

#28...BARAKA?! BARAKA?!
HE DIED TWICE IN THE SAME GAME!!!
HOW DO YOU DIE AND THEN
DIE AGAIN TO PUT OVER DLC, AND THEY BRING YOU BACK?!
Like, I LOVE Baraka, but not now. Not when you have so many options and you've double died.

#29: I would pick Jacqui over Jax as well, even though Full Auto was fucking dumb.

Last edited:
My problem is that I love the female chars, and knowing NRS I can aspire to get like 7 or 8. I guess I'd had enough with Frost, Skarlet, Jade, Cassie, Jacqui and Sheeva.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Also spoiler, I will seriously argue to biblical proportions with anyone crazy enough to counter my argument why Ashrah belongs in this fucking game.

Rage...so much rage...and what's worse is that this entire list, if it was the canon MK11 roster tomorrow, I'd be almost perfectly fine with it in spite of its agonizing flaws. But for story's sake, for the lore that's been built to the angle that they're about to redo, you need Ashrah.

JGillette

My thirst for knowledge cannot be quenched
Tanya and Shujinko please, thank you very much ( Well i don't really care about Shujinko but I really want Tanya again)