What's new

Mortal Kombat 11 on Steam offers details on Premium Edition/Kombat Pack

Gamer68

Fujin!
Mortal Kombat 11's Steam store page has been updated once again, this time with the Shao Kahn render that was leaked a while back by GameStop Italy and updated details on the Premium Edition of the game -- or more specifically, what exactly the Kombat Pack includes. Take a look at the new description for the Premium Edition here:

"MK is back and better than ever in the next evolution of the iconic franchise.

Pre-Order Now to Fight as Shao Kahn!

The Mortal Kombat 11 Premium Edition includes:
• Main Game
• Kombat Pack

The Kombat Pack includes:
• 6 new DLC playable characters
• 1 week early access to DLC characters
• 7 Skins
• 7 sets of gear

The all new Custom Character Variations give you unprecedented control of your fighters to make them your own. The new graphics engine showcases every skull-shattering, eye-popping moment, bringing you so close to the fight you can feel it. Featuring a roster of new and returning Klassic Fighters, Mortal Kombat’s best-in-class cinematic story mode continues the epic saga over 25 years in the making.
"

This is the first time that we've seen anything mention skins and 1 week early access for DLC characters. While we expected gear to be in the game, this is the first time we've see it officially mentioned as well. Also, unlike the GameStop Italy page, this mentions nothing about Battle Passes.

This is interesting, are skins and gear separate somehow? Or do they work like Injustice 2's "Premier Skins"? We will have to wait and see, but hopefully we get more information about all of this on January 17th at the Reveal Event!

Take a look at Mortal Kombat 11 on Steam here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/976310/Mortal_Kombat11/

Last edited:

Gamer68

Fujin!
My guess, the battlepacks are gear sets
Probably. If Battle Passes work the same as they do in other games as well, then you will actually have to complete challenges to unlock them vs. just getting them right off the bat. We'll see.

It's weird that it includes 7 skins and 7 gears sets, though. I figured it would end up being 6; one gear and skin for each of the new DLC characters. Maybe it also includes something for Shao Kahn?

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
Skins AND gear? Alright, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the gear in IJ2 completely determine your character's look? I guess this means we'll have standard alternate skins alongside whatever custom appearances we give our fighters. Damn it, can I just go into a coma for the next four weeks?
IJ2 also had 'premier skins' which overrode all gear to turn the character into someone else -- like Supergirl into Power Girl, or Cheetah into Vixen, or Raiden into Black Lightning.

Gamer68

Fujin!
IJ2 also had 'premier skins' which overrode all gear to turn the character into someone else -- like Supergirl into Power Girl, or Cheetah into Vixen, or Raiden into Black Lightning.
I'm thinking it will be like Premier Skins similar to Injustice 2, probably will include new voice acting as well. Speaking of which... What if Ronda Rousey as Sonya Blade is actually one of the skins?

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
Oh, yeah. It's been so long, I completely forgot about those. Well, as long as I don't have to grind a mobile game to get a klassic skin, I'm game.

BecomingDeath13

"You won't winter over?" Who the fuck wrote that?
I'm thinking it will be like Premier Skins similar to Injustice 2, probably will include new voice acting as well. Speaking of which... What if Ronda Rousey as Sonya Blade is actually one of the skins?
I cringe every time she takes the mic in wwe . She needs to just turn heel and have Paul Heyman speak for her.

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
But 7? That would be a lot, and you'd think they would be explicitly called out here as premier skins rather than just skins.

MK also doesn't have as many opportunities for premier skin characters as DC does. Supergirl to Power Girl or Superman to Bizarro or Captain Cold to Mr. Freeze makes perfect sense, but I can't see it for anyone in MK unless it's like... Kia and Jataaka skins for Sareena lmao

If they really got Ronda Rousey they are gonna have her do everything. Bet on it. It will be terrible but it'll be a whole PR thing.

Gamer68

Fujin!
But 7? That would be a lot, and you'd think they would be explicitly called out here as premier skins rather than just skins.

MK also doesn't have as many opportunities for premier skin characters as DC does. Supergirl to Power Girl or Superman to Bizarro or Captain Cold to Mr. Freeze makes perfect sense, but I can't see it for anyone in MK unless it's like... Kia and Jataaka skins for Sareena lmao

If they really got Ronda Rousey they are gonna have her do everything. Bet on it. It will be terrible but it'll be a whole PR thing.
To be fair, they did 8 Premier Skins with Injustice 2:
  1. John Stewart
  2. Power Girl
  3. Reverse Flash
  4. Jay Garrick
  5. Mister Freeze
  6. Cheetah
  7. Black Lightning
  8. Bruce Wayne
But you are probably right about Ronda Rousey and the lack of different characters they could do as skins for MK, but there are still a couple (like they could do a skin for Kung Lao that turns him into the Great Kung Lao or something).

Last edited:

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
Thanks for posting this, very nice... So... gear AND skins... I wonder what that means. Hopefully we will learn more soon enough. If not before, then at the big reveal event.

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
To be fair, they did 8 Premier Skins with Injustice 2
Not all at once. Dropping 7 out the gate would be wild, because you know the fans would be asking about more for the rest of the game's life cycle. In IJ2 they wisely parceled out the eight they had over time. I can't imagine they've done like 12 or something for MK11.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
I'm going to assume Skins mean looks for the characters that can't really be achieved through gear, appearances that change up the character's silhouette, effects or voice completely. Something among the lines of Human versions for Cyrax/Sektor or Bi-Han Sub-Zero.
Ahh, that would make sense.
Then we could get skins for Cyber Sub-Zero, Cyber Smoke, Human Reptile and such as well.

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
I'm going to assume Skins mean looks for the characters that can't really be achieved through gear, appearances that change up the character's silhouette, effects or voice completely. Something among the lines of Human versions for Cyrax/Sektor or Bi-Han Sub-Zero.
That's my guess as well. The most obvious one would be young or old versions of the trilogy-era characters.

SonicNinja3532

The Wannabe Prodigy
Interesting. I wonder how that will work. Perhaps 'skins' will be different base designs you can further customize? Like it would make sense to have a Hanzo Hasashi base and a Scorpion base, for instance.

Or something as simple as older Sonya/Johnny/Kano versus younger Sonya/Johnny/Kano. Or Revenant options. IDK.
That's actually a great idea. One of my issues with injustice was the fact that the base costume never changed. It'd be really cool to see maybe them do a skin based off their appearance in a particular game ( MK1 Scorpion for example) then allowing you to put specific gear on that skin.

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
Ugh maybe I will relent and preorder the premium edition despite my better judgment.

I disagree with this primarily because just off the top of my head I can think of many and since the variations may give us unique specials and what not it could work even more so:

Goro/Sheeva/Kintaro can all kind of work interchangeably with telestomp, fireball, punch walk, command grab etc.

Sub-Zero/Frost

Cassie/Sonya/Johnny

Kung Jin/Lao

Jacqui/Jax

Reptile/Khameleon even though she is a pallete swap character they could always redesign her if they wanted to include her in the timeline.

Shao Kahn/Reiko

MK used to always do things like this where they made more of a roster out of similar assets.

Even if you don't agree with all the examples, it could definitely work for the Shokans, Kahn, Raptors and others.

Or Jade premier skin for Kitana, just to really piss the Jade fans off.
What's gonna really kill you is when Johnny Cage is one lul.

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
@Espio The issue for a lot of those options is that cross-sex premier skins were said to be impossible in IJ2 due to the way NRS rigs the male versus female models. But perhaps they've overcome that limitation at this point. Certainly Sheeva, Frost, or Khameleon could be premier skins if that were possible.

Putting aside that limitation -- Reiko as a Shao Kahn premier I could see for sure, or Kintaro for Goro if Goro ends up returning. But examples like Cassie/Sonya or Jin/Lao would feel like a huge dumbing-down of whichever character was the premier, and I think with established characters people would complain. Like Vixen limited to Cheetah's moveset was a huge dumbing-down of Vixen as a comic book character, but it's not like people had a preconceived notion of Vixen as an Injustice character, so it worked out all right.

Rice

SIRO FOR MK1
Thats interesting.

Great to hear that there is the possibility of Premium Skins coming back.

Also i like Gear as long its more streamlined and more quality over quantity in terms of pieces.

DelSchokoladenSaft

Can of Corn Main
@Espio The issue for a lot of those options is that cross-sex premier skins were said to be impossible in IJ2 due to the way NRS rigs the male versus female models. But perhaps they've overcome that limitation at this point. Certainly Sheeva, Frost, or Khameleon could be premier skins if that were possible.

Putting aside that limitation -- Reiko as a Shao Kahn premier I could see for sure, or Kintaro for Goro if Goro ends up returning. But examples like Cassie/Sonya or Jin/Lao would feel like a huge dumbing-down of whichever character was the premier, and I think with established characters people would complain. Like Vixen limited to Cheetah's moveset was a huge dumbing-down of Vixen as a comic book character, but it's not like people had a preconceived notion of Vixen as an Injustice character, so it worked out all right.
That would be an awesome change for sure if they implement that. But it could get out of hand if they are not careful. Imagine if they can rig Torr to a moveset that's meant for Kung Lao. Utter nonsense would happen.

A caveman doing divekicks sounds pretty cool to me.

The skins, if they can cross gender lines or sizes, can make new characters themselves, kinda like how the human forms of the condiments had different options compared to the robot versions.

hkriderz

Lin Kuei Scum, yellow robot enthusiast
Am I the only one kind of miffed that we get significantly less characters for paying $100 dollars for MK11 Premium edition than we did Injustice 2? I thought the amount of DLC characters was supposed to be on an upward trend. 9 to 6 is a huge bummer, but hopefully the skins give us some good value or something. It just feels off for NRS to downgrade on their season pass.

Also, I simultaneously like and hate the idea of making these MK characters skins of others. It's a nice way to include them, and maybe with the custom variations system they'd be cool. But damn it, I want Frost to be her own. Johnny and Sonya as a skin for cassie, hell no. I'm sure none of us campaigned for some of these characters for them to end up mere skins. Also female skins for males would be clearly better(broken) hitbox-wise, considering NRS's history of female hitboxes. The only one I can see is kintaro for goro, and I'm sure some of the kintaro fans won't be too happy.

BecomingDeath13

"You won't winter over?" Who the fuck wrote that?
Am I the only one kind of miffed that we get significantly less characters for paying $100 dollars for MK11 Premium edition than we did Injustice 2? I thought the amount of DLC characters was supposed to be on an upward trend. 9 to 6 is a huge bummer
My thought process is there's gonna be a 2nd KP that they just haven't listed as part of the premium edition, or the sad possibility that there is a 2nd KP but it's going to be an additional charge.
At this point I don't know what to think, but I hope they clear up any confusion at the reveal. Iirc mkx came out with one KP and they surprised people by making a 2nd one, which was an additional charge.

I wholeheartedly agree though that $100 is steep if you're getting a diminishing return on the investment