What's new

Mortal Kombat 11 Official Story Trailer Released!

I'm sure someone else has probably pointed it out in this thread, but notice the similarity between Kollector's extra arms and the weird reptilian/fish arm Shao Khan is rocking?
It's not just one arm. Both arms, legs and his ribs have dragon scales now. I'm thinking it's just a general aesthetic retcon. We've seen from the story trailer that that version of Shao is from the past, so it's not even as if they can explain it as Shao evolving or something.

Alright, some theorizing (much of which is probably repeating what others ITT have gathered but I'm not about to read all 380 posts):

Netherrealm as primary antagonist is wrapped up at the start, just like in MKX. Then Kronika barges into the story and takes over as Big Cheese, putting the royal revenants back into jobber status. It seems like she makes her grand entrance in Kotal's Koliseum, summoning all the past timeline characters in one fell swoop. So the time travel seems to be limited, for now, to bringing people from the past into the future (and not vice-versa or anything). But that limitation doesn't explain some of the game's stages looking like altered history (Shang Tsung's Island and Goro's Lair), so perhaps time travel will be explored in more ways later in the story.

Subsequently, a battle understandably breaks out in the Koliseum, because she brought forth good guys as well as bad guys. (Surprisingly she doesn't have control over their motivations, and doesn't/can't poof the good guys back when they decide to side against her.) Kotal is pissed (and pissing himself) and sides with Light Raiden for obvious reasons. At some point, it looks like Shao wins over the respect and command of Kotal's forces. Shao v. Kotal will be a major plot thread and I'm salivating right now.

The Erron brought in by Kronika... Erron's new leather jacket is bitching, by the way.... is probably a younger Erron who works with Kano and the Black Dragon. Explains him jobbing for Shao and not Kotal. Kotal's Erron is MIA in the trailer - possibly made short work of in a duel with his younger self? Also explains Erron attacking the SF hangar with custom goons, as well as his fight against young Sonya in the Cage fam assault on BD Klub. With two Errons probably running around, and one employed by Kotal and therefore working for the side of light, this may mean we get an Erron chapter and I'm all out of saliva.

Past Jade seems to have a huge role in Outworld, running from/leading tarkatans, and joining Kotal in some fantasy side quest romance novel with a pony.

The most curious shot to me is Dark Raiden and the kombat brats running out of a portal in an Earthrealm desert. The lighting is different from the SFDC stage so I'm not sure it's them coming to the rescue of the Johnnys. It looks way more climactic than that, but it's weird for the climax to be in a rando desert.

Last edited:
The "desert" could be related to Kronika's powers. We know they have to find Kronikas hour glass. Maybe the climatic fight takes place inside whatever it represents.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
Netherrealm as primary antagonist is wrapped up at the start, just like in MKX.
Yup, looks like the first chapter is either Sonya or Cassie leading the invasion.

It seems like she makes her grand entrance in Kotal's Koliseum, summoning all the past timeline characters in one fell swoop.
It seems this way... but what's bugging me is that the two shots we have of the Koliseum pre-battle are both missing a lot of fighters. There's no sign of past-Johnny, past-Sonya, past-Scorpion, or past(?)-Frost anywhere. So I wouldn't be surprised if this is a bit of a misdirect, and the fighters have all already been summoned (and some of them split off) before that battle.

But that limitation doesn't explain some of the game's stages looking like altered history (Shang Tsung's Island and Goro's Lair), so perhaps time travel will be explored in more ways later in the story.
You know what does explain Shang's Island and Goro's Lair looking like they got the life sucked out of them?

Shang needing some fresh souls to resurrect his ancient carcass. Like what we see happening to the monks who are getting de-souled.

Subsequently, a battle understandably breaks out in the Koliseum, because she brought forth good guys as well as bad guys. (Surprisingly she doesn't have control over their motivations, and doesn't/can't poof the good guys back when they decide to side against her.)
I think she's playing Shao for an idiot. Her goal isn't some lasting empire that Shao Kahn can rule over, it's "Temporal Armageddon." What do we know about Armageddon? The more conflict, the better. I think she's totally OK with the good guys siding against her, as they obviously would.

The Erron brought in by Kronika... Erron's new leather jacket is bitching, by the way.... is probably a younger Erron who works with Kano and the Black Dragon. Explains him jobbing for Shao and not Kotal. Kotal's Erron is MIA in the trailer - possibly made short work of in a duel with his younger self?
All of Kotal's forces are missing. No Erron, no Reptile, no Ermac, no Ferra/Torr, no nobody. Very curious.

Also explains Erron attacking the SF hangar with custom goons, as well as his fight against young Sonya in the Cage fam assault on BD Klub. With two Errons probably running around, and one employed by Kotal and therefore working for the side of light, this may mean we get an Erron chapter and I'm all out of saliva.
Seems like the BD attack SF first. Then SF hit back later. I guess this because 1. past-Johnny says he just got here 1 hour prior to the hangar attack, and 2. past-Johnny is injured attacking the BD club, but not in the hangar.

The question is why all this BD action? Maybe they attack the Hangar to break Kano out, OK. But don't SF have anything better to do than to retaliate? Like, I dunno, go fight Kronika? I think there's more to it than that. The BD are up to something funky.

The most curious shot to me is Dark Raiden and the kombat brats running out of a portal in an Earthrealm desert. The lighting is different from the SFDC stage so I'm not sure it's them coming to the rescue of the Johnnys. It looks way more climactic than that, but it's weird for the climax to be in a rando desert.
I don't think that's an Earthrealm stage, I think that's part of the invasion of Netherrealm.

A few other things that intrigue me:

1. We never see Dark Raiden after the Netherrealm attack (unless you're right and the teleportation event happens elsewhere/elsewhen). What happens to him?

2. We do see OG Raiden with Cassie Cage walking through the Shaolin Monastery grounds (?). It appears that Dark Raiden goes completely AWOL and is replaced by OG Raiden even when dealing with contemporary good guys.

3. We never see where past-Johnny and past-Sonya come from, and how/why they split off from other time travelers to join SF.

4. When the hell does Hanzo fight Scorpion? They're fighting in the Netherrealm, but I don't think it can be during the initial invasion. Stab in the dark: I think Scorpion and Sub-Zero team up to go find Noob Saibot in the Netherrealm at some point, and that's when they run into OG Scorp.

Reactions: Zev

pure.Wasted

On a separate note, I was thinking... it's obvious that NRS is gonna give us some chapters where we can choose to play as one of two characters, INJ2 style, right? Liu Kang/Kung Lao seem like the most obvious pairing from the trailers.

Well what if when the Special Forces compound is attacked, NRS gives you the option to play each fight as Johnny... or Johnny? LOL. That would be the biggest troll.

BlunderGod

The Kollector wants your lunch money
Anyone else wondering about what would happen in a MK Timeline where Shao Kahn, Raiden, Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Johnny Cage, Kano and Scorpion would just disappear to fight battles in an other timeline at the behest of some time godess?

Zev

Cages_Shades from MKO
On a separate note, I was thinking... it's obvious that NRS is gonna give us some chapters where we can choose to play as one of two characters, INJ2 style, right? Liu Kang/Kung Lao seem like the most obvious pairing from the trailers.

Well what if when the Special Forces compound is attacked, NRS gives you the option to play each fight as Johnny... or Johnny? LOL.

pure.Wasted

Anyone else wondering about what would happen in a MK Timeline where Shao Kahn, Raiden, Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Johnny Cage, Kano and Scorpion would just disappear to fight battles in an other timeline at the behest of some time godess?
Haha! Sounds like Shinnok and Quan Chi win by default.

Ptehu

Prince of Edenia
Lack of Sub Zero in this trailer is kinda surprising... I think something important happened between him and Frost and it's just too good to be spoiled just like that.
Also, they showed us only the playable characters, no NPCs at all. That's actually good, so that we can avoid disapointment just like in the MKX story trailer and be surprised with the inclusions while exploring the story.

BlunderGod

The Kollector wants your lunch money
Haha! Sounds like Shinnok and Quan Chi win by default.
I bet in that timeline, Fujin is protector of Earthrealm, Shang Tsung becomes Kahn of Outworld in the confusion. Earthrealm's last heroes Sub-Zero, Smoke and Stryker seek refuge in Outworld and ally them themselves with the Edenian resistance to defeat the Netherrealm's forces. Also Rain is the one to defeat Shinnok, as he is a Half God.

God, that timeline sounds...

Boring as dirt! I mean who in their right mind would be interested in that dumpster fire. Nah NRS made the right choice, definitely. :DOGE

Blizer

Cheap Kollector Rip Off
Yeah Sub not being in the trailer def means that hes likely with Noob and/or Frost, and they dont want to reveal them officially yet.

I hope to god NRS do 2-3 characters per Kombat Kast now, especially when you still have half the roster to cover.

My Thoughts on who the next Kombat Kasts will be

Next Week: Jacqui and Erron (Or Jax if they decide to reveal him)

March 20/21: Kotal and Dvorah (Erron could make a 3 character one if they decide to Jax in the previous kast)

March 27/28: Kitana, Liu Kang, and Kung Lao

April 3/4: Kollector and Cetrion (Jax if not revealed next week.)

April 10/11: Frost and Noob

April 17/18: Shao Kahn, with hints to the hidden characters, or actual gameplay coverage of them.

Ptehu

Prince of Edenia
Well, to be honest, NRS proves that they can keep their secret kharacters hidden, despite all of the leaks and stuff.
I've only seen the Mileena/Shinnok leak but I don't believe it. Not one bit.

inb4 there are no secret characters at all and they were just trolling, haha.
Wonder also how they will explain the Konquest tab character if it really occurs that it's not our purple friend.

Blizer

Cheap Kollector Rip Off
I actually think Noob Saibot is one of the secret characters, maybe with Jax.
I mean, thats also the other theory, but it doesnt explain the couple extra slots available

Noob could likely be a secret character, along with Jax and 2-3 other characters.

Its just a waiting game now till April.

Ptehu

Prince of Edenia
And what's the point of making Jax hidden unlockable? he is nowhere near the most requested kharacters and most of the community really hope that one of the endings when he is dead is canon. I would be super disapointed if I beat some some crazy hard mode, and as a reward I am getting freaking farmer Jax. Noob - yea, agree. He will most likely end up as secret.

Blizer

Cheap Kollector Rip Off
I doubt they are both secret characters tbh, unless the SHA is Shang tsung, then Noob has a good chance of being a secret character

Again, it depends on which kharacters are shown for the rest of the month for Kombat Kast

Cassie Cyrus

Have you ever seen the Rain?
And what's the point of making Jax hidden unlockable? he is nowhere near the most requested kharacters and most of the community really hope that one of the endings when he is dead is canon. I would be super disapointed if I beat some some crazy hard mode, and as a reward I am getting freaking farmer Jax. Noob - yea, agree. He will most likely end up as secret.
I don't know why Ed Boon is always so secretly over that bore Jax... But they didn't show him yet ANYWHERE, so I guess Ed Boon want to surprise us all again with that stupid Briggs Family Trailer or he's the secret only few people wanted... Reptile, Rain and almost ALL other characters would make much better secrets than Jax.

Blizer

Cheap Kollector Rip Off
I don't know why Ed Boon is always so secretly over that bore Jax... But they didn't show him yet ANYWHERE, so I guess Ed Boon want to surprise us all again with that stupid Briggs Family Trailer or he's the secret only few people wanted... Reptile, Rain and almost ALL other characters would make much better secrets than Jax.
I Believe Ed Boon hates Rain tbh.

Also, hasnt Jax been consistently one of the most popular characters in both mk9 and mkx?

imo, i do like Jax, but i do believe he should sit this game out.

Cassie Cyrus

Have you ever seen the Rain?
I Believe Ed Boon hates Rain tbh.

Also, hasnt Jax been consistently one of the most popular characters in both mk9 and mkx?

imo, i do like Jax, but i do believe he should sit this game out.
Yes, I do think Ed Boon hates Rain very much like Hsu Hao and Drahmin, that's why he's never playable in the main roster...

Ed Boon rather have farty Rai Cow on the roster, because that isn't a joke like rain.... LOL

And Takeda was more popular in MKX, and he's nowhere to be seen, so I guess Jax could sit out more easily than Takeda. I don't care for both, but that are facts. MIleena was more played than Sonya as well, still it's the other way around they are in MK11..

Why wouldn't present timeline D'Vorah be willing to work for Kronika? She betrayed Earthrealm (and made lifelong enemies out of the Cages), she betrayed Kotal Kahn (don't think he takes betrayal very well), she fucked over Mileena's faction and killed Baraka (Tarkatans might not be happy about that), all to be loyal to Shinnok... who lost almost instantly (LOL)... which probably makes her enemy #1 in the Netherrealm as well because the last thing Liu Kang and Kitana need is Shinnok loyalists loitering about.

Shit, she's like the FIRST person I would expect to join up with Kronika, she's got literally nothing left to lose because literally everybody else hates her guts and wants her head on a spike. I don't think there's ever been a more reviled character in-universe in MK.
A lot of the revenants would dislike her even if they were returned to their mortal state. I know for a fact Tanya would love to burn her or Rain would want to drown her in a bubble lmao.