What's new

Mortal Kombat 11 Has A Way To Buy Cosmetic Items With Real Money

Yeah if you give a shit how your character looks I could give too shits about that.I want good game play.If little Timmy wants to pimp out his character thats cool and all aleast it want be like first person shooters like Cod when guns are so OP everyone wants them.You cant do that with a fighting game.Thank God

Last edited:

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
Paid Cosmetics is perfectly fair and legal imo.
Especially when there's a reasonable way to obtain those cosmetics through in-game progression, like in MK11.

This is just an "impatient gamer fund." NRS is literally just getting free money, which doesn't negatively affect us in any way, but positively affects NRS's ability to create MK content in the future. And gives those impatient gamers what they wanted. They get the cosmetics they want, NRS gets the money they want, and we get the MK content we want. Win-win-win.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I wonder if they will have Tournament Skins again that fund prise pools and stuff.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
That's fine with me. As long as you can unlock everything in game and there is nothing you can only get via real money (Other than DLC characters) then you won't hear me complain.

S***, if it's something I really want and don't see myself getting it in a timely manner I might just buy some myself assuming they are reasonably priced. Like if on day one I can get a klassic Shao Kahn costume but purple instead of red...im getting some crystals :D

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
We don't know that though. There wasn't a reasonable way to unlock shaders in Injustice 2 for example, they were rare and completely random unless you used source crystals.
A bit of an assumption on my part. Of course you're right that we won't know for sure until we get our hands on the game. But we do know that MK11 allows you to grind items for specific characters by doing their towers, and we know it often allows you to see exactly which items you'll get ahead of time, which are both huge improvements over INJ2.

And we know we'll also earn some time crystals in-game which will allow us to purchase some items we really, really want but can't seem to find in-game. Which is also an improvement over only being able to purchase shaders/premier skins in INJ2. So, like you said, not a fact yet... but certainly lots of reasons to be optimistic.

I hated the methods of unlocking costumes in MKX. Having them tied to respect points in online play was stupid. I would much rather be afforded the option to pay to unlock the costume I want for the character I want.

People bitching about micro transactions are also dumb, as there has never been any kind of “pay to win” aspect in any NRS game. Shut up. I’ll pay extra for cosmetics. The loot boxes for abilities in IJ2 were annoying but if you played the multiverse events you got all of them eventually. Sorry you had to pay $5 to put your Harley Quinn in metallic pink and black.

They need to take a play out of the Dead Or Alive handbook and include classic costumes that people have to pay for. I understand if for the purpose of the story you don’t want the characters to look like ninja prostitutes, but God damnit, you sold me on the character when she was looking like a ninja prostitute in 1995. Don’t be ashamed of what you put out in the world and made people fall in love with. The SJWism is disgusting.

Especially when there's a reasonable way to obtain those cosmetics through in-game progression, like in MK11.

This is just an "impatient gamer fund." NRS is literally just getting free money, which doesn't negatively affect us in any way, but positively affects NRS's ability to create MK content in the future. And gives those impatient gamers what they wanted. They get the cosmetics they want, NRS gets the money they want, and we get the MK content we want. Win-win-win.
You consistently post the most reasonable, logical and well thought out responses day in and day out. Always enjoy hearing your thoughts.

And yeah I agree. I didn't have a problem with the paid for krypt unlocks in MKX (I didn't play Injustice 2) and I don't mind it here either. As long as everything can be unlocked through normal game play, it's nothing but a positive. I absolutely want NRS to make as much as they can to continue to fund incredible games like MK11, and as long as it is completely optional I support it 100%. It just makes sense for everyone involved and I think it's a pretty good solution. I may even get impatient with one or two items and spend a few bucks to speed up the process myself, just depends. If I'm loving the game which I'm sure I will, I'll just grind it out and have a good time doing so.

If people are complaining about this then they'll probably complain about anything. I'm at the point now where I just ignore or block people who complain about microtransactions, especially when you can tell the person didn't even stop for a moment to think about how they impact the individual game or how they were implemented this time around. This thread has had a mostly positive response which is good, but Twitch chat was freaking out earlier during the Kombat Kast lol.

Beirut

Goro main
For me it's not OK and I didn't like it in I2. On the other hand I spent 2 milion crystals there without paying for it once using simple gamesave data trick and I will do it for sure in this game. Grind in I2 was insane and I end up not really liking it for that.

Base game with DLC pass already costs a hundred bucks, that's enough. Paying for new characters doesn't bother me, but I love cosmetics and if they are hidden by a wall of grind I'll be using exploits to unlock it and spent the time labbing, thank you very much.

Lun

proud TERF!
As long as we can still unlock many outfits just by playing, then I'm fine if some outfits are dlc. But if we get little to none free outfits and 90% of them must be bought with money, then heck no.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I too just hope they offer us klassic outfits but given the ridiculous female costume fiasco, not sure we'll be seeing some of the older ones but they should I mean if people are willing to pay for it but since it's free they probably won't put them in but here's hoping I can still wear MK 9 or UMK3 Jade, Kitana, MK 9 Skarlet etc

We know we'll get classic MK ninjas ones, this is a given.

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
Most things I will grind. Certain things for my mains I will almost assuredly get impatient, give in to impulse and buy, then "unlock" a duplicate in my next fight. Lol. It is the cycle of my luck.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Video games today cost studios in the multiple millions of dollars to produce, but they still only cost the consumer around $50-$60 - exactly what the original Nintendo games cost consumers back in the eighties.
This is fine.
As far as “tedious grinding” goes, you youngins’ obviously never played any of the original Final Fantasy games...
Adjusted for inflation, the cost of a video game has gone way down. Here are some NES prices from the 80's:

We can find a 1990 game's 2019 price by multiplying by 1.95. So, in 2019, that sweet copy of Robocop 2 on NES would have cost $113.08. Here's an entire article about this subject, and here is an online inflation calculator. The only caveat that I can think of is that those games were manufactured on expensive cartridges, while games today are released on inexpensive disks or digitally at almost no expense, so devs get to keep a larger chunk of the pie.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
Adjusted for inflation, the cost of a video game has gone way down. Here are some NES prices from the 80's:

We can find a 1990 game's 2019 price by multiplying by 1.95. So, in 2019, that sweet copy of Robocop 2 on NES would have cost $113.08. Here's an entire article about this subject, and here is an online inflation calculator. The only caveat that I can think of is that those games were manufactured on expensive cartridges, while games today are released on inexpensive disks or digitally at almost no expense, so devs get to keep a larger chunk of the pie.
Yet people still complain about paid DLC, or even preorder content. It is ridiculous, especially in NRS’ case, where their games are loaded with content up front.

Wrenchfarm

Lexcorp Proprietary Technologies
I'm usually suspicious of claims that "everything is attainable in-game" (like, I don't consider something that has a drop rate of 0.001% or takes 500+hrs of grinding to be reasonably attainable) but NRS seems pretty on the level here. I think they've learned what the fanbase will put up with and what they won't.

No lootboxes is a huge deal for me. I don't mind paying for cosmetics if you can just buy the one you want, not a chance at the one you want.

Corruption100

Plus Frame Enjoyer
Like a previous poster, as long as it isn't an insane grind(which it sounds reasonable thus far) I'm totally fine with cosmetics being purchaseable. In reality everyone can't sink 40+ hours into the game in the first few days.

E

Eldriken

When RNG is involved, you can pretty much bet on there being some kind of grind. Let's just hope it's nothing exceedingly stupid like Catwoman's one ability in Injustice 2.

As long as they don't make unlocks take a billion years to "entice" you into buying the currency, I could care less.
I mean, that's very likely the case. Often you can get "one set" of gear for the character you main, or if you're a tourney player who's cranking out those hours you'll get a few sets, but often to bling more than one character out they're going to tweak it so you have to spend cash.

I just hope they have actually reasonable prices that either let you get large amounts in bulk or sell individual parts for cheap. Too many games think $5 is ok for a single portion of a cosmetic and it's insane.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
As long as it's not gameplay related I couldn't care in the least. Hell, if I like the game as much as I expect to, I'll gladly support NRS.

I'm salty about Rain though.

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
It sounds to me like the boxes in the krypt will have "open for 1,000 koins or open for 5 tyme cristalz" which I can live with. In MKX doing the story mode and like 5 towers got you the whole krypt, it was fun. I ended up making another account on my ps4 and doing the whole thing over again so I could use it as a tournament setup with all the fatalities and brutalities unlocked. If they don't devalue the coins much then I think this is a great idea.