What's new

Mortal Kombat 11 Announced for EVO 2022

Comments

It’s pretty funny that Melty Blood & Granblue Fantasy has higher numbers than MK11 & if Samurai Shodown came back it would probably have more attendees than it again like it did in 2019. MK11 probably sold more than most of these games combined (Excluding SFV & T7 of course) but just because a game sells more, casual critics rave about it, guest characters galore don’t make it automatically a good game or have a high competitive interest especially this late in the games lifespan.

I’m actually surprised that DBFZ isn’t ranked higher as its been the new “it” game for awhile now.
To be honest and fair to Mortal Kombat 11, the fighting games with the most participants appear to be the most recently released fighting games and the ones that companies still support with content and patches. If NRS had released more content and patches, I could have seen Mortal Kombat 11 in the top 5, feasibly after Tekken 7.

You are otherwise right, though. NRS fighting games are generally designed to be too shallow to satisfy the hardcore fighting game players who crave extended depth. I am certain that the next NRS product will be no exception to this rule, but I wonder how much, if at all, Capcom and Namco will simplify Street Fighter 6 and Tekken 8 respectively.

I'm sure they're working on MK12 and it'll be a "everyone is here" for the NRS trilogy. That's my headcanon.

But yeah, it's a shame that they tend to cut support pretty quickly. The next MK should be supported for a longer time. I know, there are people who say "well yeah but MK11 has been the most supported MK to date so don't complain". I don't think I'm asking for much. SFV stared terribly and by now is one of the most solid FG out there, despite what anybody says.
MK11 hasn't even received balance patches for almost a year, it's like the game is stagned.

Reactions: Zgf
I'm sure they're working on MK12 and it'll be a "everyone is here" for the NRS trilogy. That's my headcanon.

But yeah, it's a shame that they tend to cut support pretty quickly. The next MK should be supported for a longer time. I know, there are people who say "well yeah but MK11 has been the most supported MK to date so don't complain". I don't think I'm asking for much. SFV stared terribly and by now is one of the most solid FG out there, despite what anybody says.
MK11 hasn't even received balance patches for almost a year, it's like the game is stagned.
But correct me if I’m wrong isn’t MK11 now at a place where it is extemely balanced and doesn’t need another balance update? Meanwhile, SV5 just received a “definitive update” after years of support and there is concern now that Luke will takeover the competitive scene. MK11 doesn’t have that problem.

But correct me if I’m wrong isn’t MK11 now at a place where it is extemely balanced and doesn’t need another balance update? Meanwhile, SV5 just received a “definitive update” after years of support and there is concern now that Luke will takeover the competitive scene. MK11 doesn’t have that problem.
For the most part, this is correct. In my opinion, it has more to do with just how shallow MK11 is compared to SF5 and other fighting games that make it so much more balanced. Besides Jacqui and Kabal jumping everywhere like they're monkeys swinging through the jungles on vines, Cetrion having every tool in the book except good damage, and Fujin being able to completely ignore neutral, the game is in very good place when it comes to balance.

My bad, what I tried to say was that they could've "spiced it up" a bit during this past year. I think the Sheeva nerf was the last update, right?

To be honest and fair to Mortal Kombat 11, the fighting games with the most participants appear to be the most recently released fighting games and the ones that companies still support with content and patches. If NRS had released more content and patches, I could have seen Mortal Kombat 11 in the top 5, feasibly after Tekken 7.

You are otherwise right, though. NRS fighting games are generally designed to be too shallow to satisfy the hardcore fighting game players who crave extended depth. I am certain that the next NRS product will be no exception to this rule, but I wonder how much, if at all, Capcom and Namco will simplify Street Fighter 6 and Tekken 8 respectively.
I doubt that. Even at Mortal Kombat 11’s first EVO it was 4th just behind Samurai Shodown of all games at its’ first EVO. Mortal Kombat 11 would need a major overhaul similar to Mortal Kombat X’s to see any amount of growth in attendees & May 2021 was Mortal Kombat 11’s last patch. I think Mortal Kombat 11 would be lucky to be #7 as I don’t see it overtaking DragonBallFighterZ this time around especially after it’s popularity boom during the pandemic.

@OldSchoolPlayer77 No. You must be new here.

People will just complain and spam this site with daily posts complaining that Mileena / Jax / Liu Kang top tiers are picked too much and that the game is a zoning fest. And then they will say that there's no depth and there needs to be one more patch that makes the game more like SF5 / Tekken without actually wanting to play SF5 and Tekken.

@OldSchoolPlayer77 MK2 is a very underrated game and there's a massive skill gap with how good players have gotten at the game these days on Fightcade. Too bad 98% of the current FGC culture would never be able to handle losing to some of the things in that game. I mean, you have people punching holes in walls and screaming about Cetrion's 1,1,2 staggers in MK11, I don't want to imagine what some of these people would do after playing against an MK2 top tier.

mk 2 for evo 2022

@OldSchoolPlayer77 No. You must be new here.

People will just complain and spam this site with daily posts complaining that Mileena / Jax / Liu Kang top tiers are picked too much and that the game is a zoning fest. And then they will say that there's no depth and there needs to be one more patch that makes the game more like SF5 / Tekken without actually wanting to play SF5 and Tekken.
LOL your right,I remember when you were training on mk2 and you played with me and mike caldwell years back
Id be happy if mk9 were back at evo,mk 2 and mk 9 are the best IMO.Well if mk2 were at evo they should make it random select
but yea people would still complain
@OldSchoolPlayer77 MK2 is a very underrated game and there's a massive skill gap with how good players have gotten at the game these days on Fightcade. Too bad 98% of the current FGC culture would never be able to handle losing to some of the things in that game. I mean, you have people punching holes in walls and screaming about Cetrion's 1,1,2 staggers in MK11, I don't want to imagine what some of these people would do after playing against an MK2 top tier.
Honestly, I would love if EVO did a Retro Edition as it would be interesting to see 2010s-2020s players approach them in comparison to OGs who have experience in said games.

Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
Street Fighter 3: Third Strike
SoulCalibur II
Dead or Alive 3
Tekken 3
Darkstalkers
Marvel vs Capcom 2
War Gods (Just because I think it would be funny)
Guilty Gear XX
King of Fighters 95
Virtua Fighter 4
Samurai Shodown

Meanwhile, SV5 just received a “definitive update” after years of support and there is concern now that Luke will takeover the competitive scene. MK11 doesn’t have that problem.
Well, globally, MK11 does not have one fourth of the players that SF5 currently has so there are a lot more opportunities and reasons for a pool of talented players to abuse the top tier characters. Does anyone honestly believe that if players like Daigo, Mago, and Tokido played MK11 that they would use anyone outside the top five? Of course not, especially with money on the line. Nonetheless, while certain people will disagree, I do sincerely believe that NRS did a very good job balancing MK11. In fact, I think that NRS did a better job balancing MK11 than Capcom and Namco did balancing SF5 and Tekken 7 respectively.

By the way, the concern with Luke is not that he is overpowered. In previous versions, SF5 has had characters who were twice as strong. The issue is that shotos are generally very weak in the SF5 meta, yet Luke is quite formidable to say the least. Competitively, why would you ever use Ryu, Ken, Sagat, Akuma, Dan, Sakura, and Kage over Luke? He is so potent and versatile that he simply invalidates all of these characters.

Tekken 8 is reinventing their tutorial and practice mode dynamics, you will be surprised by the amount of technical info you will receive when hitting those up.

Besides tekken is a game with legacy curve, they have reinvented the wheel before with T4, but that wasn't well received, doubt they will take the NRS route.