What's new

Mortal Kombat 11 Announced for EVO 2022

Comments

Is it somehow shocking that MK11 is at EVO? I’d be more surprised if it wasn’t there.
There’s been a few big name tournaments that don’t have MK11 like Texas Showdown (unless it has been added since this screenshot).

Is there anyone here who couldn’t give two-shits that it’s at EVO?

I’m going to keep it 100% & be brutally honest but it’s my opinion:

I personally cannot stand the game & I hate almost everything about it to the point that it is completely irksome & boring to even watch. I’d rather watch professional darts. MK11 is just one of the most brain numbing fighting games out there & I’ve played Dive Kick.

Whenever people tell me about how exciting CEO sets were even from veteran players but none of that shit was hype. When I think hype I think of @REO vs @xSMoKEx (link) & nothing I’ve ever seen in MK11 is even close to that masterpiece.

It’s just hilarious to me seeing all this fake fucking hype from top players posting about their excitement & putting over the game when they have talked so much shit that it’s completely mind blowing to see but that’s greed & politics for you when it comes to being apart of the upper echelon in the modern FGC. Nothing surprises me anymore.

Is there anyone here who couldn’t give two-shits that it’s at EVO?
I stopped playing and watching Mortal Kombat 11 a while ago. So did most other players when they found out that the game would no longer be supported.

The people who continue praising this game, who promised the world there would be more content and patches, who claimed how NRS would prove the "haters" wrong, etc. desperately require self-esteem and morale.

Just let their favorite game have its 15 minutes of fame at EVO. Mortal Kombat 11's legacy has already been set in stone.

I talk with someone who has a partner who plays with Ninja regularly.. So that leaves Dragon as the only one on that list who doesn’t play (and isn’t playing fighting games in general).

Let’s goooo
This proves nothing when they're continuously saying it on stream how much they dislike the game. Or when they've made tweets about what they dislike specifically but going by your logic, Crimson, I guess Punk, Snake Eyez, Justin Wong, etc. like SFV because they continuously played and signed up for tournaments lol.

Regardless, if people like the game and want to participate in EVO, good for them. Not sure why there are so many TYM posters, in this thread especially, that act like this is so Black and White. It's like if you're not making positive posts regarding MK11 or saying anything negative, you get one and a life time posters/lurkers logging in and posting sub-comments.

Last edited:
This proves nothing when they're continuously saying it on stream how much they dislike the game. Or when they've made tweets about what they dislike specifically but going by your logic, Crimson, I guess Punk, Snake Eyez, Justin Wong, etc. like SFV because they continuously played and signed up for tournaments lol.

Regardless, if people like the game and want to participate in EVO, good for them. Not sure why there are so many TYM posters, in this thread especially, that act like this is so Black and White. It's like if you're not making positive posts regarding MK11 or saying anything negative, you get one and a life time posters/lurkers logging in and posting sub-comments.
Some of us have been through this cycle numerous times now and understand it. I've been registered here for almost a decade now; and in that time I've seen people hate on MK9 and quit for various reasons, be salty at IGAU and quit for various reasons.. I've seen people say that MKX was the worst game ever made and would be remembered as a tragedy, then try to kill IGAU2 while it was still alive, etc.

The truth is, in every game, every single one of them, top players get salty. In the last month alone I've seen people saying that DBFZ is a party game, Strive is a party game, KOFXV is dead already, SFV has no value in playing it and V-trigger turns every match into randomness, etc.

Welcome to the FGC.

So at the end of the day, you either choose to support your community or not. MKX was not my favorite game, but I said my piece on what I thought could be improved, and then I supported the community anyway. I played it, and tried to learn something anyway. I did not lurk around for 2 years jumping into every thread for every positive event for MKX to post that I disliked the game. That is really strange, pathologically obsessive behavior.

Last edited:
I did not lurk around for 2 years jumping into every thread for every positive event for MKX to post that I disliked the game. That is really strange, pathologically obsessive behavior.
And that's the thing and what I don't understand. The game is done, it is what it is, and if it's not your cup of tea, that's great, but for the same people to constantly say the same thing over and over in any thread...

In related news, Mr Aquaman stated yesterday before Top 8 of the Kollosseum that it was the largest tournament they've had in a very long time.

Over 100 entrants, over 60 of which showed up. Over 250 matches to get to top 8.

Obviously, there are people playing and enjoying the game.

I did not lurk around for 2 years jumping into every thread for every positive event for MKX to post that I disliked the game. That is really strange, pathologically obsessive behavior.
ngl this kind of behavior popping up so consistently has really dampened my interest in posting here, or using discords, listening to podcasts, or anywhere really.
Doesn't even matter what game it is, I'm just tired of wading through it all and it's endlessly frustrating that there's pretty much no ability to discuss anything in good faith.

ngl this kind of behavior popping up so consistently has really dampened my interest in posting here, or using discords, listening to podcasts, or anywhere really.
Doesn't even matter what game it is, I'm just tired of wading through it all and it's endlessly frustrating that there's pretty much no ability to discuss anything in good faith.
It's basically impossible to have a conversation about liking or just playing a game without 25 people showing up to try and make sure you know how much they don't like the game and why you shouldn't either.

There is a place for saying what you think and feel, but it's kind of pointless complaining after some point. People keep talking about how dumb xyz game is like that is some sort of hyper intelligent hot take that will get a game turned into what they think they want it to be, when they don't have the ability to even try what they are suggesting. Meanwhile big claims about balance and what not are fact checked against data analytics and immediately discarded as Twitter bluster. Know how many times you hit a D2 KB? Good chance NRS does; broken down by character. They for sure know how many times Mileena has taken down Raiden, Scorpion, SubZero, Noob, etc, broken down by player placements.

The same individuals who said to ignore what tournament players are tweeting about Mortal Kombat 11 less than two months ago are now the same individuals who are apparently keeping a notepad of anything positive being tweeted by the same tournament players. LOL. You cannot make up this hypocrisy and double standard.

Some of us have been through this cycle numerous times now and understand it. I've been registered here for almost a decade now; and in that time I've seen people hate on MK9 and quit for various reasons, be salty at IGAU and quit for various reasons.. I've seen people say that MKX was the worst game ever made and would be remembered as a tragedy, then try to kill IGAU2 while it was still alive, etc.

The truth is, in every game, every single one of them, top players get salty. In the last month alone I've seen people saying that DBFZ is a party game, Strive is a party game, KOFXV is dead already, SFV has no value in playing it and V-trigger turns every match into randomness, etc.
This^^^. Since MK11 is the current game it's hard to not get into a discussion about defending the game when people keep coming to say it's shit and it's dead. But what really annoys me is how the community actively tries to kill anyone's hype for the game. There's a huge difference in discussing broken mechanics vs trashing the entire game. And whats crazy is everyone who has been here a while seems to forget this cycle happens EVERY game. And it's like these people who trash the game don't even acknowledge this.

It's frustrating to me that so much discourse about games these days seems to always be in the twitter style of discourse, where it's always over the top, obnoxious, hot negative takes about a game. It's the only way some people seem to have learned to talk about things.

I just want to have my discussions about magic ninjas ripping the spinal column out of four armed dragon monsters like an adult.

@Marlow @Trustful_Whale @Gooberking I feel the same way, and I've further removed myself from online communities in general simply because they're so oft ignorant, over-entitled places where the "community" members do nothing but complain in over-the-top sensationalist fashion.

Little point in engaging with that drivel.

I'm also extremely happy I have never had a Twitter account and phased myself out of social media in general, wow, getting close to a decade ago.

Don't be like that guys, MK11 deserves a spot. Hell, I can't think of any other game there that's more perfect to be the closing top 8 itself. EVO just needs to make sure to play the trailers first, since I want to watch them live, and not the next day after waking up.

Reactions: Zgf
Despite all the negative posts I throw on the sidebar (and will continue to contribute) here are my thoughts...

Let's look at all the crap MK11 went through, Some of which weren't even NRS' fault:
-Too long of a time spent on Locked Variations.
-NRS cutting ties with WePlay when players and viewers really liked that event.
-The initial EVO2020 snub.
-Covid19's presence killing damn near all offline events. The only ones I can remember nowadays is Final Kombat and only because of Spawn, WePlay and CEO of LAST. FUCKING. YEAR.
-NRS formally announcing it would stop supporting MK11 last year, leaving us with that trickle of a balance patch
-When EVO wanted to make it's first online tourney due to the Pandemic, that's when the Mr. Wizard incident happened and everyone including NRS bowed out and the event was cancelled.

To me that's really MK11's Legacy, a good game that had a ton of unfortunate things happen to it during it's life cycle.

And yet in 2022, love it or hate it people are STILL playing this game. People are still signing up for events, both offline and online, official events and events held by guys like Mr. Aquaman and Slayer. While EVO has kind of lost it's prestige over the years it doesn't change the fact that it is still one of the most well known venues in the FGC.

You don't like the game? That's fine. While I got my own problems with this game and parts of this community I'm glad they get to enjoy a few more offline events after Covid19 took away most of them.

But you're not going to tell me the MK11 community shouldn't get to be at Evo because "game so boring, me not hype".
This game has been carried through EVO deciding not to add MK11 to the initial 2020 lineup, through the devs publicly moving on last year and... Oh yeah through a fucking pandemic.

Let these people get one last EVO appearance before we move on to the next game.

I’m not saying MK11 shouldn’t be at EVO but what choice does Sony have? For EVO to even get close to attendance numbers of past EVOs due to Nintendo pulling Smash (2019: 3492 attendees for Smash), they needed a game that has casual recognition to draw players & spectators especially with the increasing hype around the franchise after EVO 2019.

There’s a lot of hype games that even I am excited for like SFV, DBFZ, Melty Blood & Tekken 7. I’m curious to see the turnout for Strive & KOF15. Still no Samurai Shodown (More attendees than MK11 at EVO 2019, Killer Instinct (Because Microsoft), Virtua Fighter or DOA though which is a bummer.

There’s a lot of elements that have occurred that might negatively affect EVO this year:

• Sony’s first offline EVO
  • No Smash (Ultimate, Melee or Brawl)
  • Capcom shooting themselves in the foot when it comes to offline SFV (Unsure if they fixed that yet)
  • People still worried about COVID-19 & if there’s still any international restrictions

Last edited:
You'll forgive me if I don't care about Smash getting pulled. I'd hate to see what grand new way someone from the smash community would act like a jackass, nothing is going to beat "Throw a dead crab at Hungrybox" from EVO2019 but I'm not looking for someone to top it either.

As for Covid19 and this being Sony's first offline Evo... It is what it is. Everyone is right to still be worried about Covid19 and Sony buying EVO was a questionable decision anyway.

So if Evo does poorly this year because of these factors, oh well but that won't be MK's fault.