What's new

Mortal Kombat 11: Aftermath - Launch Trailer

Comments

Are most MK players African American? I’ve always wondered why the emphasis on rap music in mk trailers. WB marketing must have done research on player base demographics and felt rap music was appropriate?
I am pretty sure that Russia, Brazil and USA are 3 biggest markets for MK.

Are most MK players African American? I’ve always wondered why the emphasis on rap music in mk trailers. WB marketing must have done research on player base demographics and felt rap music was appropriate?
Rap isn't only for African Americans you fool.

And it's probably because Rap is one of the most popular genres of music. Now more than ever. It's dominating the charts along with pop music etc.

There are MK fans all over the world, we come in all colors, nationalities, variations and genders...etc
It's okay to say Black as much as it's ok to say White.

White people like rap too.. if you catch my drift.

I like rap and even I thought that was a poor choice of a song to use for a trailer.

The only time I thought rap fit an MK trailer was NWA's Check Yourself since that trailer focused on old school stuff.

I mean...I’m black. Was really just trying to understand such a random choice in music.
Nah, it ain't random. They just pick one of the most popular genres to try and appeal to as wide an audience as possible. It's worth remembering that Aftermath can be purchased along with the base game for $60, so they're obviously trying to tap into the casual market to increase sales. It's just corporate being corporate.

Last edited:
never heard of him, and not linking a music choice is a personal thing... there is no right or wrong.. just preference.
It may very well be and it is completely your Prerogative but I think your view points show that no matter the artist, as long as it’s rap the average mk fan won’t like it. I’m black but I don’t care if it’s rock, rap, whatever as long as it’s good. However I’ve noticed the general populace will imeddiately discredit the hip hop song just because it’s with mk. As people have mentioned Kendrick Lamar is arguably the greatest rapper alive right now and people are still unhappy lmao. Who would you prefer megadeth? Metallica all would fit too but plenty of genres would. And to act as if rap doesn’t which a lot of people are doing, irritates me.

Oh sure. Only black people listen to rap. Most white kids I see know more about rap than I do. It's a generational thing. Not a race issue.

Nah, it ain't random. They just pick one of the most popular genres to try and appeal to as wide an audience as possible. It's worth remembering that Aftermath can be purchased along with the base game for $60, so they're obviously trying to tap into the casual market to increase sales. It's just corporate being corporate.
What kind of music do you think the NRS staff listens to?

I really dont like this trailer , the soundtrack doesnt fit at all with the lyrics, nothing wrong with the soundtrack itself cause it was used in the Creed trailer and it worked. Also so much story spoilers and even a twist reveal at the end. I would had directed it showing more gameplay changes and new features over 50 % cutscenes. Maybe its just me.

I really dont like this trailer , the soundtrack doesnt fit at all with the lyrics, nothing wrong with the soundtrack itself cause it was used in the Creed trailer and it worked. Also so much story spoilers and even a twist reveal at the end. I would had directed it showing more gameplay changes and new features over 50 % cutscenes. Maybe its just me.
I’m thinking maybe loyalty plays a part in this part of the story, I could be reaching though

What kind of music do you think the NRS staff listens to?
Across the whole company? Probably a wide variety. But when an expansion comes out that's bundled with the base game for $60 to attract newcomers, and the song used in the trailer for it is from one of the most popular music genres in the world, performed by one of the most popular rap artists of modern time, I'm thinking that part of it's done with financial interest in mind.

I'm not hating on it, I just gave possible reasoning as to why this type of song was chosen to someone who was curious why it was chosen.

People who complain about the music = big babies

Kendrick is one of the GOATS and rap >>>> whatever it is y'all want. If I'm being truthful here.
Lol that music was laughably bad, are you serious?

If that Kendrick guy is the best you've got right now, I feel very sorry for Rap as a a genre that it's degraded to such terrible quality.

Last edited:
Lol that music was laughably bad, are you serious?

If that Kendrick guy is the best you've got right now, I feel very sorry for Rap as a a genre that it's degraded to such terrible quality.
yeah HipHop isnt what it used to be , nobody this day could hang with Black Thoughs,Nas,Mos Def,Em. Just like there is no Jordan,Tyson,Roy jones. At least the FGC have Sonicfox,Ninjakilla and Punk :)

It has liturally never EVER worked
I disagree, I think it worked really well for the Old Skool vs New Skool trailer.

I’ve always wondered why the emphasis on rap music in mk trailers. WB marketing must have done research on player base demographics and felt rap music was appropriate?
Well, Wu Tang is some pretty well liked music that is dripping with martial arts influence and hip hop and rap both are actually pretty well suited to combat situations since the music is often aggressive or combative in message and the tempo generally slides right in.
I can understand why someone wouldn't enjoy rap in MK if they don't like rap, but I strongly disagree with the idea that it doesn't suit MK or fighting.

yeah HipHop isnt what it used to be , nobody this day could hang with Black Thoughs,Nas,Mos Def,Em. Just like there is no Jordan,Tyson,Roy jones. At least the FGC have Sonicfox,Ninjakilla and Punk :)
It's not even coming from a place of anger it's just THAT'S what passes for Rap music nowadays?!

Laughter and Derision is more accurate of a feeling than anger and butthurt.