What's new

Mortal Kombat 1 Post-Release General Discussion Thread

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
I get what they were going for with Kameo Scorpion's Spear Pullback move but it would be way more useful with interupt properties like Motaro or Lao's teleport. I would also like to see all kameo moves be changed to ambush, call anytime, type things. Even if it totally bites me in the ass and is used against me. Just for the pure creativity and insanity it would bring to the game. Then again I also want main Scorpion to get buffed with I dunno just one new string or command normal that adds a low/overhead mixup option. And make him able to special cancel of B3 because I want to watch the world burn, lol.

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
Anyone else kinda starting to loathe Johnny Cage? I can feel grey hairs growing facing him. One touch and you're fucked.
Yuuup lol i have a new hated fighter everytime i log on yesterdays was cage , his movement makes havik look retarded , d1 backwalk beats most of my options, i really need to use stand 3 in that situation but never think of using it mid fight , cause its otherwise useless

Fermbiz

Noob
I love how the server are down for maintenance, which is understandably so, I don't have access to anything. Not the on disc DLC i paid for and who also happens to be my main, Shang. Not Havok or the Kameo's I've unlocked...

The state of the game in certain aspects is concirning on its own but the thing that just fucks things up that much more is the atrocious levels of mtx in a full priced 70€ game.Even if it was packed with content and skins and all that i would still be fully against it,but in this situation with lack of content,bugs and quirks on every corner and no stable way to earn premium currency its just unacceptable.

The earnable skins in the game a for the most part either just ouright bad looking or have a terrible color scheme,its very unsatisfying and compared to previouse mk alt skins it just feels terrible.So you have to wonder is it done on purpose so they can then sell actuall cool skins for 10€ in 70€ game,like the deadly alliance scorp.

Is that the model going forward?
Fomo premium skins costing more then full dlc characters?

Very dissapointed in this regard,there should be no place for mtx in these full price games and especially not to this extent and with these prices.
These skins should be earnable and dragon crystals as well should be reliably farmed,with respect to the players time.

And the funny thing is these arent even dlc skins,like they are all completed and present within the games files right now in the game,so its not even new content that had to be made after release,just awfull treatment of their fans.

subzert

Frozen Soul
They should atleast purchase individual palette of skins like DA Scorpion. I am not dropping 1000 crystals on 6 not so great palette and a mediocre mask. Let me spend 200 crystals for just the black or yellow palette.

The backlash that they got for doing such scrummy practices for MK11 was huge and they had to clarify it on Kombat Kast and they took a back foot on it in MK11 and they are back with same shenanigans with MK1, we gotta let them know straight.

They are putting story important character like Shao Kahn and now Shang Stung behind pre-order dlc. The fighter is already done and a pivotal character in story mode and yet they lock him upbehind pre-order. In MKX Goro was not at all involved in story mode and it didn't feel like a scrummy thing.

They should atleast purchase individual palette of skins like DA Scorpion. I am not dropping 1000 crystals on 6 not so great palette and a mediocre mask. Let me spend 200 crystals for just the black or yellow palette.

The backlash that they got for doing such scrummy practices for MK11 was huge and they had to clarify it on Kombat Kast and they took a back foot on it in MK11 and they are back with same shenanigans with MK1, we gotta let them know straight.

They are putting story important character like Shao Kahn and now Shang Stung behind pre-order dlc. The fighter is already done and a pivotal character in story mode and yet they lock him upbehind pre-order. In MKX Goro was not at all involved in story mode and it didn't feel like a scrummy thing.
I really want the Shang announcer voice but don't want to waste 1000 krystals on it in case the next batch of skins are for my mains...
This sucks. Announcer voice should be in game unlock.

I'm only going to buy Story Mode or Klassic skins related to my 2 mains, assuming there's no other way to acquire them. I'd spring for a Shao Announcer as well.

That is all.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this and it's certainly not important in the grand scheme of things, but I figure this is the place to mention it.

I'm really hoping NRS releases completely alternate versions of skins for at least a few characters. Mainly the following:

• Nitara - This one would require a new voice actress as well. I can't get over how shitty Megan Fox is in this role. Whoever designed Sareena's look in this game should do an overhaul on Nitara.
  • Raiden - He looks sooooo corny in this game. Even the coolest palette or skin doesn't help the way this dork looks in MK1. Just plug the MK11 Raiden skin and voice actor in the game. I can't begin to even explain how much cooler that Raiden is.
  • Tanya - She just looks weird. Her MKX look would be a cool option, obviously with updated visuals.
I'd be happy to pay for these. If a character looks or sounds stupid, I can't bring myself to play them. I even get annoyed playing against them.

Again, this shouldn't be a priority but I do hope premium skins are added in the game eventually.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
I'm only going to buy Story Mode or Klassic skins related to my 2 mains, assuming there's no other way to acquire them. I'd spring for a Shao Announcer as well.

That is all.
Isn't the Shao announcer available by default? It's just a setting in the menu.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Hot takes:

-> Smoke is bottom 5

-> Sub-Zero is the worst character in the game

-> No character or kameo deserves to be nerfed right now. There’s some good candidates of course, but we need a lot more time before anyone is nerfed

-> However, I’d say there are a few characters that may need to be buffed. But still too early for that as well. But I hope to see buffs before we see nerfs

-> Way too much complaining and not enough labbing. Aka what happens in every game

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Hot takes:

-> Smoke is bottom 5

-> No character or kameo deserves to be nerfed right now. There’s some good candidates of course, but we need a lot more time before anyone is nerfed

-> However, I’d say there are a few characters that may need to be buffed. But still too early for that as well. But I hope to see buffs before we see nerfs

-> Way too much complaining and not enough labbing. Aka what happens in every game
I think this is pretty agreeable. I agree no nerfs yet. Sub, Nitara, Rain, Smoke, Shao bottom 5 imo.

Last edited:

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
I was expecting to see more "Injustice 3" in this game, I think it was pretty much confirmed that they were working on it before various reasons had them go with MK1 instead. I love Injustice but I just had this concern that they would repurpose Injustice 3 stuff in a way that was a detriment to MK1. That concern was completely unjustified, I love the game and I think the gameplay is extremely well thought out, fun and perfect for MK.

That said, I do suspect that we have a lot of repurposed stuff, so here are some fan theories:

Cage Mansion is Hawkman's mansion, similar to how we see him portrayed in Black Adam. He's a rich archeologist, explaining Johnny's new love for ancient and Egyptian art pieces.

Temple of Katara Vala maybe related, possibly a Kahndaq ruin or something to go with Black Adam.

Teahouse maybe was the Metropolis bar.

Rain was Aquaman's Mera

Tanya was Wonder Woman or the Amazonian Nubia, who was prominent in the Injustice 2 comic.

Shao Khan was Wonder Woman's Ares

Liu Kang's backthrow was a Batman animation

Peacemaker was going to be Peacemaker, Omni-man and Homelander will make use of Superman assets

Just a theory!

navvy

Noob
Hot takes:

-> Smoke is bottom 5

Lao kameo absolutely needs some adjustments asap, low hat recharge and reversal launcher is just not ok

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
I was expecting to see more "Injustice 3" in this game, I think it was pretty much confirmed that they were working on it before various reasons had them go with MK1 instead. I love Injustice but I just had this concern that they would repurpose Injustice 3 stuff in a way that was a detriment to MK1. That concern was completely unjustified, I love the game and I think the gameplay is extremely well thought out, fun and perfect for MK.

That said, I do suspect that we have a lot of repurposed stuff, so here are some fan theories:

Cage Mansion is Hawkman's mansion, similar to how we see him portrayed in Black Adam. He's a rich archeologist, explaining Johnny's new love for ancient and Egyptian art pieces.

Temple of Katara Vala maybe related, possibly a Kahndaq ruin or something to go with Black Adam.

Teahouse maybe was the Metropolis bar.

Rain was Aquaman's Mera

Tanya was Wonder Woman or the Amazonian Nubia, who was prominent in the Injustice 2 comic.

Shao Khan was Wonder Woman's Ares

Liu Kang's backthrow was a Batman animation

Peacemaker was going to be Peacemaker, Omni-man and Homelander will make use of Superman assets

Just a theory!
Sareena's demon form throw is obviously catwoman. I could see Nitara borrowing from Hawkgirl animations. Other than that, yeah, surprisingly not many reused assets (not obvious ones at least)