What's new

Mortal Kombat 1 - Official Banished Trailer

that "woooaaahh" and "daaamnnn" guy is johnny cage. nuff said.
It's not only about Johnny Cage. It's about the whole picture, the voices, the voicelines.

Read my other comment aswell where I explained it even further, instead of talking about the same thing over and over again. Thank you!

It's not only about Johnny Cage. It's about the whole picture, the voices, the voicelines.

Read my other comment aswell where I explained it even further, instead of talking about the same thing over and over again. Thank you!
i have and i dont agree with you a bit. voice acting and tone are excellent throughout.

i have and i dont agree with you a bit. voice acting and tone are excellent throughout.
Then we simply agree to disagree. I won't change my opinion, simply by the fact that I only saw one single argument against my opinion, which I basically also agreed on.

But somehow all te rest what I have said, is fully being ignored and being presented with the same argument where I just agreed on.

But like I said, we agree to disagree. I just wanted to have a conversation about something I preceive.

And if you say why the voices and tones are excellent then I would like to know why you think this. Because I'm completely the opposite, because it feels that they emphasize it to much on certain aspects.

It feels like a movie actor emphasizing to much on emotions on screen, so much that it become unnatural. This is exactly the feeling I get with the voices and personalities in this trailer. Try to hard to get thay bro feeling and that badass feeling.

Last edited:

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I have to admit, the fight gameplay looks very good. But the rest kinda look's meh. I mean, the characters design is arguable. But one thing that bothered me the most is the voices and attitude of the characters. It feels like the voice lines and personalities are written by a minor.

Take for example 0:19 "I can only shift between this and my natural form." Turns in to reptile, that guy immediately "WOOOAAAAAHHHHHHH."

Second 2:08 "To catch me, they must see me." disappears and those other guys "HUH", "DAMMMMNNNNNNUHHH." Also watch the body language and the face expression.

I'm really getting that YO BRO vibe personalities, writting by a minor. They also try hard with the voices, which makes it more unbelievable and unfitting. The lines they say are rather more simplified.

I wonder what kind of audience they target now. Feels like they also try to put in some "humor" or something. I don't know what it is, this feels kinda off putting and make the characters unbelievable and cringe.

I really hope that the rest of the game is better and more mature conversations. Otherwise I will drop the storyline mode and just spend my time in other game modes.
You have to remember that a mainstream trailer is going to have a "Marvel movie" vibe to it, but that doesn't necessarily mean the story will be. Because the trailers are targeted.

I'm sure scenes with Mileena going through her regression or Kenshi going blind won't be "yo bro" scenes, but that's for when you actually play the game. Reptile disappearing to an "ahhh" type moment by Johnny is trailer 101 stuff.

You have to remember that a mainstream trailer is going to have a "Marvel movie" vibe to it, but that doesn't necessarily mean the story will be. Because the trailers are targeted.

I'm sure scenes with Mileena going through her regression or Kenshi going blind won't be "yo bro" scenes, but that's for when you actually play the game. Reptile disappearing to an "ahhh" type moment by Johnny is trailer 101 stuff.
A trailer should be representing a product. If the trailer has that "Marvel movie" vibe, while the game is anything like that, doesn't it mean the trailer isn't really representing the product?

Let me reverse this, what if I see this trailer and get that "Marvel movie" vibe and say " Oh yes, I'm going to buy it." And when I'm playing I don't get that "Marvel movie" vibe?

So, first you say the mainstream trailer has that "Marvel movie" vibe to it, and later you say that the game doesn't have that feeling.

So, you basically say that the trailer is misleiding? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
A trailer should be representing a product. If the trailer has that "Marvel movie" vibe, while the game is anything like that, doesn't it mean the trailer isn't really representing the product?

Let me reverse this, what if I see this trailer and get that "Marvel movie" vibe and say " Oh yes, I'm going to buy it." And then being presented something completely different.
Most trailers are like this. To present a product as entertaining. They won't be too far off, like you won't have a new Freddy Krueger movie advertised as a love story. But even The Punisher had trailers where some of the scenes were light-hearted, then when you actually watch it most scenes are of him blowing people away with a shotgun.

With MK, you already know you're getting a deep story, but light-hearted scenes are to attract more casual players to make more money. The Geras trailer for example was more of a heavy tone. All the trailers won't be like that because they need to maximize their audience. With this one having a lot of Johnny and the nicer soft Reptile it makes sense.

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
Most trailers are like this. To present a product as entertaining. They won't be too far off, like you won't have a new Freddy Krueger movie advertised as a love story. But even The Punisher had trailers where some of the scenes were light-hearted, then when you actually watch it most scenes are of him blowing people away with a shotgun.

With MK, you already know you're getting a deep story, but light-hearted scenes are to attract more casual players to make more money. The Geras trailer for example was more of a heavy tone. All the trailers won't be like that because they need to maximize their audience. With this one having a lot of Johnny and the nicer soft Reptile it makes sense.

And there you go, you hit the nail on it's head. They want to attract a broader audience and probably also a younger audience.

So they emphasize on certain aspects to attract them, which gives for my personal taste, the opposite feeling.

Just like the example I gave about the movie actor. If they focus to much on emotions, it becomes to artificial or to unnatural which gives the opposite feeling than what they try to present.

And if they show the Punisher as light hearted guy in a trailer, while 98% of the movie is the opposite, then the trailer is simply misleading and manipulating or tricking people in thinking something, while it is not.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
And there you go, you hit the nail on it's head. They want to attract a broader audience and probably also a younger audience.

So they emphasize on certain aspects to attract them, which gives for my personal taste, the opposite feeling.

Just like the example I gave about the movie actor. If they focus to much on emotions, it becomes to artificial or to unnatural which gives the opposite feeling than what they try to present.
But that's marketing 101, attracting more business. Even if those "campy" scenes are only a small amount of the story (like I don't think Liu Kang is going to be making campy jokes as he recruits warriors, or Sub making them while he tries to strengthen the Lin Kuei, etc) they'll be shown more in trailers. The "woah" type scene you're talking about, even if it's cringe, will be a small fraction of the story I'd guess.

But that's marketing 101, attracting more business. Even if those "campy" scenes are only a small amount of the story (like I don't think Liu Kang is going to be making campy jokes as he recruits warriors, or Sub making them while he tries to strengthen the Lin Kuei, etc) they'll be shown more in trailers. The "woah" type scene you're talking about, even if it's cringe, will be a small fraction of the story I'd guess.
I 100% agree, this is marketing and business. And I'm going to play again the laywer of the devil.

This is also the reason why many games are disapppointing and companies like Ubisoft get's a lot of hate. Beautiful fancy trailers, while it doesn't represent the real thing.

So, that's why I said that I hope that I don't get the same feeling once the game has been released. And I hope you are right about the game. But I really doubt it, since I've been disapppointed to much in my life when it comes to games. So why should I believe that it is now any difference?

That's why I also said that I still have hope that the full story would be better and doesn't give me the feeling I had in the trailer.

Last edited:
Then we simply agree to disagree. I won't change my opinion, simply by the fact that I only saw one single argument against my opinion, which I basically also agreed on.

But somehow all te rest what I have said, is fully being ignored and being presented with the same argument where I just agreed on.

But like I said, we agree to disagree. I just wanted to have a conversation about something I preceive.

And if you say why the voices and tones are excellent then I would like to know why you think this. Because I'm completely the opposite, because it feels that they emphasize it to much on certain aspects.

It feels like a movie actor emphasizing to much on emotions on screen, so much that it become unnatural. This is exactly the feeling I get with the voices and personalities in this trailer. Try to hard to get thay bro feeling and that badass feeling.
all the voices have a very unique timbre and pronounciation or even subtle yet credible accents (liu kang, ashrah). still they manage to form/integrate into an overall coherent tone of the game, which is full of tension, mystery and individuality (+ johnny cage) to me. their vocal expressions fit very well and reinforce each other with the facial animations (reptile especially). also, "you misread my intentions, princess", "you will accept chaos, by choice or by force" or "killing one realm to free another is a heinous proposition" is not stupid language but rather well-thought and -expressed sentences.

Last edited:

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.

Let me reverse this, what if I see this trailer and get that "Marvel movie" vibe and say " Oh yes, I'm going to buy it." And when I'm playing I don't get that "Marvel movie" vibe?

So, first you say the mainstream trailer has that "Marvel movie" vibe to it, and later you say that the game doesn't have that feeling.

So, you basically say that the trailer is misleiding? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Trailers are basically always misleading. Welcome to marketing.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
I’m a huge Resident Evil fan so all the dumb shit doesn’t bother me, as long as it rides the line of camp but is good enough to where we can buy into what’s happening it’ll be enjoyable
Seriously , what do people want from MK? Are people out here thinking "this is cinema" when they see MK Deception cutscenes? In fact, any cutscenes in the series? Its always been a campy, cheesy story, that's heavily influenced by pop culture. Guess what, "Marvel-writing" is in.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Seriously , what do people want from MK? Are people out here thinking "this is cinema" when they see MK Deception cutscenes? In fact, any cutscenes in the series? Its always been a campy, cheesy story, that's heavily influenced by pop culture. Guess what, "Marvel-writing" is in.
I don’t even think the marvel comparisons are fair. Aside from GOTG 3 and Spider-Man, the recent marvel jokes feel super manufactured, dumb punch line and pause for the audience to laugh.

The camp in games like MK or RE feels a lot more charming to me and enjoyable. It’s an absurd premise but the characters take it seriously so it’s funny and serious enough to still want to experience. The marvel shit is a dumb premise that the characters DONT take seriously. In MK, Johnny just cracked a joke and nut punched someone, we’re laughing, 10 seconds later Sub has ripped someone’s spine out, we’re serious again, and neither feel out of place.

Last edited: