What's new

Mortal Kombat – Official Restricted Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
She's going to have the monster face though.

Her cheeks are going split open and reveal her teeth. If you go frame by frame in the trailer when she licks the sai, you can see very subtle tearing from the corners of her mouth (And the obvious Joker scars are an indication of that.). And it's confirmed both by Sisi and I believe the Director that there's more of her than what we see in the trailer. She's going to have her monster mouth, but in a way that makes it easy for the budget while still keeping her true to the character, I'm assuming.
Yes. If you look closely

you can clearly see there's something under her cheeks.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
yeah, we can all see that... but that is lame af.... I mean having some kind of morphing jaw line is almost as bad as a disney movie having all the main characters have magic disappearing helmets whenever they want to speak. I get we have to see it in action, but some kinfd of transformation is not what I would have liked.. I would have liked a full monster face... all fangs and teeth and gore.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
And I imagine that if we don't get a hint at Kitana in the movie (Besides the obvious fan from the trailer.) Then we'll get a sequel where we'll see Sisi return as Kitana. At least I hope so. Kitana's appearance in this movie could easily be one of the things kept surprise because Sisi's already there lol. Just put her in something blue and you get a Kitana cameo.
Australian model/actress Mel Jarnson posted the MK trailer to her Instagram, with the message that “I’m excited to be a part of this battle, but I can’t tell you what character I’m playing yet. Watch the film to find out!”
She has long been rumored to be playing Kitana, and it seems like she will be from her post.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
The only thing I dislike about this movie or story, is they’re introducing a completely new character that has never been in any of the games, comics, lore, etc as the main protagonist. The way the story synopsis reads, it sounds like a shitty MMA fighter who is obsessed with MK, got knocked unconscious during a fight, and dreamed that HE was one of Earth’s mightiest warriors and he had to defend EarthRealm in Mortal Kombat and all his favorite MK characters were there.

Aside from that, I actually really liked this trailer, genuinely got me hyped.

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
not a big fan of Mileena ... really wish they went all out on the monster face : (

It always amazes me how cosplay dudes get it so near perfect, with next to no resources.. but films with millions of dollars fuck it up so badly. If they wanted they could have made her look so awesome.

Afk Skinny

3D Krusader
This looks absolutely incredible for a mortal kombat movie. I'm fucking shocked that tym isn't more hype for this. Like what else are you comparing it to? What have you been watching the past few years? Lol, legendary was hot garbage, the anime was dope but wayyy more cringy than this, and even the game's story modes have been corny as fuck. Mk9 was straight cheese, MKX had some cool moments, as did MK11 and aftermath but both fell victim to the good guy only chapter point of view, forcing many characters to become jobbers.

Like my bar for this movie could not have been lower, I expected R rated annihilation (which it still might turn out to be, who knows). I was gonna have to smoke a ton of weed in order to dumb myself down to be entertained but from this trailer i don't think i"ll need to. I'm still gonna smoke or drink before.....but yeah, I don't HAVE to now. lol

So yeah, looks WAY better than I expected. Even tiny pocket Raiden. Raiden's mini me. Or Kid Thunder cameo perhaps? haha
To me personally, WB is really fucking good at making trailers, only to have a subpar product more often than not. I just have to wait and see

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
The fights should be decent at least, the plot looks not great but certainly no worse than the games lol.
Sub-Zero freezing Jax's arms was pretty awesome. The Bi Han Sub could potentially be a really good villain if they run with it.

I was going to post that too... sigh

I hope the action is good at least.
well, people wanted fighting scenes with people who actually know how to... thats what we got. I’d rather have choreographed fights with A list actors than Z list actors that can’t act. Razz berry awards are coming.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
The good
  • Majority of character design looks amazing (Sub Zero looks sick AF, from the look to the voice)
  • Rated R
  • Protagonist is going to be used as a vehicle for an audience who doesnt know anything about the game (heard rumors that its Kuai Liang but with a different name)
  • Fights look sick
  • ITS FINALLY HAPENING !!!
What worries me
  • Why not use Ed Boon's Get over here....
  • Goro CGI looks like a video game. I hope they have an actual puppet or if you go the CGI route, make it as good as Thanos. A CGI character with ok effects will be much more believable if they have a personality
  • Dialogue.....the birth mark bit might just be how they cut it in the trailer (I dont think so though)
  • Reptile's design is from MK: DA......I hope he appears as a ninja because a giant bipedal Komodo dragon looks ridiculous
  • I fear they are throwing too much for a first movie. Can they really properly develop Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Sonya, Jax, and Cole in one movie? Doubtful. Characters will be under developed for sure.
  • Sub-Zero makes a blood dagger, why does he pause to look at it like "look at how cool this is" instead of just continuing the fluidity of the fight.... (nitpick i know but fight choreography is important)
  • Simon McQuoid has never directed anything. MK is his directorial debut

Last edited:

Obly

Ambiguous world creator
  • Sub-Zero makes a blood dagger, why does he pause to look at it like "look at how cool this is" instead of just continuing the fluidity of the fight.... (nitpick i know but fight choreography is important)
Actually I noticed the same thing and also thought it was off-putting. Obviously the dagger doesn't physically exist and the actor was responding to direction to "hold this dramatic pose so we can CG a dagger into your hand in post." So I don't blame the actor; it seems more like sloppy editing that should've done a better job tidying up the shot. Nitpicky I agree, but hopefully not a sign of the overall quality of the editing.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Despite being Simon McQuoid's first film as a director, this seems promising.

Then again, he does have to sell his movie to us so yea I take it with a grain of salt

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Actually I noticed the same thing and also thought it was off-putting. Obviously the dagger doesn't physically exist and the actor was responding to direction to "hold this dramatic pose so we can CG a dagger into your hand in post." So I don't blame the actor; it seems more like sloppy editing that should've done a better job tidying up the shot. Nitpicky I agree, but hopefully not a sign of the overall quality of the editing.
But he didnt hold the pose.... He twisted his wrist. When I used to work as an editor, I wanted the actors to move with the props as if they appeared part of their movement. Here, the actor does an extra wrist twist instead of keeping his hand in the position he catches the dagger and continuing the motion to stab. I dont blame the actor, I blame the director here.

I take it that the long pause was for "less initiated" audiences to ascertain what happened. Considering someone freezing blood doesn't really happen in real life, someone may not be able to interpret what just happened. The pause in my mind allows the audience to think "Did he really just?" Granted it did feel a bit long

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
I take it that the long pause was for "less initiated" audiences to ascertain what happened. Considering someone freezing blood doesn't really happen in real life, someone may not be able to interpret what just happened. The pause in my mind allows the audience to think "Did he really just?" Granted it did feel a bit long
I feel that's unnecessary. Especially since the blood turning into a dagger is very clear....The visual effects are great and the background action when the dagger is formed is in slow motion.

Obly

Ambiguous world creator
But he didnt hold the pose.... He twisted his wrist. When I used to work as an editor, I wanted the actors to move with the props as if they appeared part of their movement. Here, the actor does an extra wrist twist instead of keeping his hand in the position he catches the dagger and continuing the motion to stab. I dont blame the actor, I blame the director here.
Ok, had to watch it again to refresh my memory. You're right, the wrist twist after he "catches" the dagger is unnecessary and disrupts the flow of the movement. Probably should have been slow-mo twisting the whole time to turn the motion of the spatter into his own stabbing motion. As is, it looks more staged and less real.

Oh well. A good editor can still cut out some of that gratuitous styling and make it look better. If this trailer was rushed out, they're probably still editing the movie now to clean it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.