What's new

MLG - How Dallas Made History w/ Germany vs the Dominican Republic

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Before reading this you might be taking for granted what happened during the Fall Championship. Let's take a quick leap back to before Mortal Kombat 9 - what is there? Mortal Kombat is lived by multiple years of essentially 'underground' competition that is kept alive by numerous individuals including Shock, Summoning and Tom Brady, a time where its numbers were never great in comparison to Street Fighter but that's not the point. It almost seemed like two different worlds. You got the online warriors fighting to keep their 3D games afloat, however did not see any tournament life nor were they ever truly recognized as tournament games. During this time, the funny thing was that many players were afraid to even show their face as to be the first to make an actual appearance in public, away from the online competition that was a solar system away from the reality of "live" competition. The other world was treated like a '3rd world'. You'd see photos posted of someone winning an MK II tournament (I remember it being Summoning) and the players involved seemed to always generally be the same; LI Joe is another very honorable mention.

Anyway, where we're going with this is that Mortal Kombat only had tournament life within MK II, UMK3/MKT in both the US and in parts of South America... that was it and the numbers were small.

Towards the tail end of MK vs DC things began to change as word of Mortal Kombat 9 surfaced and it looked to be taking the game back to the roots, which was what players wanted for over 10 years of, in their opinion, "horrible 3D games". During this time several essentially new players wanted to break that mold of being in a community for years and never going to an offline event. NECXI was a defining tournament for many as it showed them just what it was all about... finally. The games being played aside from the classics were MK: Armageddon and MK vs DC Universe, which had 11 entrants. Some of these entrants included Check, Tom Brady, REO, Riu48, THTB and more, making this tournament a great success.

Let's recap on this... we're currently talking about all US players.

Fast-forwarding to today we've seen the US vs the United Kingdom (f0xy, Ketchup, Mustard and UsedForGlue at Evo), Chile (LaD Lurker at Evo), Japan (one player at Evo from Japan who played Mortal Kombat), and now we had a player who is technically from the US, although his region is distant in comparison, DR Gross... vs Germany's Madzin. Think back now... it's come this far in less than two years.

Now, enjoy DR Gross' fierce and untamed Smoke take on Madzin, the best Noob Saibot in the world?

Attachments

Great article storms
This doesnt even take into account the game's international hurdles. Region locking being the one people know most about, but more importantly for Madzin, the fact that the game is literally illegal in germany. MK has come a long way and things are looking good, but let us never forget that we still have a long way to go in our still-growing scene.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
"best noob saibot in the world?"

hohohohohoh imma be dat bitch and do diiiiiiis @D R

fuck it, cnt remember the fools name.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Great article storms
This doesnt even take into account the game's international hurdles. Region locking being the one people know most about, but more importantly for Madzin, the fact that the game is literally illegal in germany. MK has come a long way and things are looking good, but let us never forget that we still have a long way to go in our still-growing scene.
Yeah, this write-up definitely goes through our history in a snapshot. If I went in to detail about things like that... it'd be slightly longer. ;)
"best noob saibot in the world?"

hohohohohoh imma be dat bitch and do diiiiiiis @D R

fuck it, cnt remember the fools name.
Saying that based off of opinions and reactions to Madzin, who is the most recent and current dominant Noob. FGA Monopr is another honorable mention as far as the argument of best Noobs.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Yeah, this write-up definitely goes through our history in a snapshot. If I went in to detail about things like that... it'd be slightly longer. ;)

Saying that based off of opinions and reactions to Madzin, who is the most recent and current dominant Noob. FGA Monopr is another honorable mention as far as the argument of best Noobs.
i believe madzins the hypest noob, the post was just to start a shitstorm

Great article storms
its not illegal, that only goes for the first 3 i think. but mk9 has never been released here, you gotta import it and you gotta trick with foreign accounts a bit if you wanna play online.

its not illegal, that only goes for the first 3 i think. but mk9 has never been released here, you gotta import it and you gotta trick with foreign accounts a bit if you wanna play online.
i heard that the only offline tournament attempt was raided, everything was confiscated, and people were arrested.

You will all eat your own shit when mk10 comes out and it is one of the best in fighting game history with one of the biggest scenes.
lol you're so hopeful... you do realize that mk9 only had 304 entrants at Evo this year? SFxT had more entrants, which is pitiful. But, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying mk9 isn't fun... I love playing it and i'll always love the franchise but it's not what you make it out to be compared to AE and Marvel, and it never will be.

Gimmick

Noob
lol you're so hopeful... you do realize that mk9 only had 304 entrants at Evo this year? SFxT had more entrants, which is pitiful. But, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying mk9 isn't fun... I love playing it and i'll always love the franchise but it's not what you make it out to be compared to AE and Marvel, and it never will be.
Dude, you gotta realize that this is the first step for MK. This is the first time a legit fighter has been taken seriously by the FGC (kinda) If NRS/WB keep improving the games, then there's no where else to go but up. Street fighter has had a long legacy in the FGC, so of course it's going to have more numbers.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Compare SF and Marvel's numbers when their scene was less than two years old. Then we can talk.

As long as MK10 is BETTER than MK9 and not some 3D bullshit... it's only going to get bigger.