What's new

MLG 2012 636% Viewership = Huge Huge Revenue Gains

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Do you guys realize how insane that is? 1.8 mil to nearly 11 million viewers. 300% + growth is a lot to ask for 1 year in progress. That is insanely fast.

That's an insane increase

Like I said many times something like NHL stanley cup gets 900,000 viewers

SC2 gets about 4-5 million

GuamoKun

I Break Hearts, Not Combos
I kinda like how this also combines the use of IN YOUR FACE size fonts and stuff. Charts are good. Growth is good.

kronspik

Noob
Compared to all other fighters at MLG it was light years better than all other in attendance and viewing
MLG probably doesn't think like that though. They will instead compare fighters to other genres and see the big differences there. That's why they have been grouping all fighting games together as "mlg fighters."

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Do you guys realize how insane that is? 1.8 mil to nearly 11 million viewers. 300% + growth is a lot to ask for 1 year in progress. That is insanely fast.
Yeah, but you have to realize that this wasn't necessarily due to the growth of MLG as a company; it was due to introducing Starcraft II and LoL as well as exhibitions vs. Korean players that draw good worldwide viewership.

It's good for MLG as an organization, but the real test will be to see if viewership increases significantly for the same games over time, without the huge bump you get from adding the world's most popular esports title.

NariTuba

disMember
This is good shit Pig, thanks for sharing. Its a brave new world for entertainment.

The 60% in the 18-34 bracket also caught my eye. That means that 40% (thats a LOT) is outside that bracket. I wonder how they are distributed...

CRUM

Noob
I love the negativity. It gives the MLG guys (who read the forums by the way) incentive to not bring MK back next season. Seriously we were given an incredible opportunity at MLG and you guys think MK had nothing to do with their increased numbers? By MK being at MLG that is another community to add not only to their stream numbers, but to attendance numbers as well.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
I love the negativity. It gives the MLG guys (who read the forums by the way) incentive to not bring MK back next season. Seriously we were given an incredible opportunity at MLG and you guys think MK had nothing to do with their increased numbers? By MK being at MLG that is another community to add not only to their stream numbers, but to attendance numbers as well.
I don't think it's negativity; I think it's honesty. The facts are that the top esports titles bring viewers in the millions. But that brings up a couple of points:

1) I think Pig made this topic not to say that MK was responsible for the numbers, but rather to suggest that MK might indirectly benfit from increased revenue to MLG as a whole.

2) Most of this viewership bump was from SCII/LoL. But I believe that MK is just as exciting to watch as any other game, if not more. So as a community, we should figure out how to share the amazing experience of watching this game with a wider audience. We may not be able to get millions of viewers, but I'm convinced that a game this great, with personalities this distinct, can draw a wider audience than it currently does.

I believe that anyone who a) Loves/plays MK as a game or b) Loves highly competitive, exciting fighting game matches or c) Appreciates esports on a general level should be able to enjoy these great MK tournaments. The question is, what can we do to broaden our audience and expose more people to the fun of watching high-level competitive MK?

CRUM

Noob
I don't think it's negativity; I think it's honesty. The facts are that the top esports titles bring viewers in the millions. But that brings up a couple of points:

1) I think Pig made this topic not to say that MK was responsible for the numbers, but rather to suggest that MK might indirectly benfit from increased revenue to MLG as a whole.

2) Most of this viewership bump was from SCII/LoL. But I believe that MK is just as exciting to watch as any other game, if not more. So as a community, we should figure out how to share the amazing experience of watching this game with a wider audience. We may not be able to get millions of viewers, but I'm convinced that a game this great, with personalities this distinct, can draw a wider audience than it currently does.

I believe that anyone who a) Loves/plays MK as a game or b) Loves highly competitive, exciting fighting game matches or c) Appreciates esports on a general level should be able to enjoy these great MK tournaments. The question is, what can we do to broaden our audience and expose more people to the fun of watching high-level competitive MK?
SC2 has been at MLG since late 2010. MK didn't play an intricate part until March of this year. I'm not saying that MK is solely responsible for the increased numbers, but they certainly had something to do with it.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
SC2 has been at MLG since late 2010. MK didn't play an intricate part until March of this year. I'm not saying that MK is solely responsible for the increased numbers, but they certainly had something to do with it.
Yeah, if you look at the years they cite in the infographic (2011 + 2012) they coincide with the growing popularity of SC2 and LoL. One of the largest factors was the adoption of these games by Korean players, and the effort by MLG to fly top Korean players in to the tournaments for showcases/matches, which brought in its own large international audience.

In order for high-level MK to be more popular, it needs a truly concerted effort to introduce the competitve landscape to people who are unaware of it. And I think we're better served making that push than just assuming that it'll be kept on the roster with games that are bringing in 99% of the viewers.

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
More and more geeks in the world supporting E-sports when physical sports have no interest to them would be my guess.

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
u gotta admit, watching a big mk9 tournament is so much more fun to watch then any good movie thats out on tv
It is pretty fun, definitely more interesting than watching sports for me, because it's something I actually completely understand and do myself. As far as the movie, it depends which one =)

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Like I said many times something like NHL stanley cup gets 900,000 viewers

SC2 gets about 4-5 million
The last stanley cup was drawing about 3 million (only counting north american) viewers at peak and that was considered horrible ratings. However, this is still amazing for esports and it signals a new era.

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
SC2 is a pretty huge e-sport in Asia isn't it? I hear you can actually make a pretty comfortable living off of it.