What's new

MKX's 'Restart Match' Option Kills Tournament HYPE

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
Is everyone happy with this?

Of course this is just from a spectator's perspective, but I hate the fact that so much of what makes MKX hype gets skipped in tournament, and you never get to actually appreciate / process what has happened in tournament play. To me is it so annoying to have someone win with an x-ray only to have the opponent quit out on the first hit and go to restart match, or have people quit out and deny a Fatality.

MKX is a beautiful game, and I just feel that the game itself is done disservice when so much of it is skipped. I get the fact that players want to speed up play by passing the 'nonessential' bits, but I think the way things are only kills hype and it makes the game look bad.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I love it. No one wants to sit through watching long ass fatalities and XRays we've seen hundreds of times before the next match starts. Keep the pace flowing, the tournament speed moving, etc. Having to sit through everything to me would be the worst available option for tournament play and for watching.

Vithar

Evil but Honest!
Is everyone happy with this?

Of course this is just from a spectator's perspective, but I hate the fact that so much of what makes MKX hype gets skipped in tournament, and you never get to actually appreciate / process what has happened in tournament play. To me is it so annoying to have someone win with an x-ray only to have the opponent quit out on the first hit and go to restart match, or have people quit out and deny a Fatality.

MKX is a beautiful game, and I just feel that the game itself is done disservice when so much of it is skipped. I get the fact that players want to speed up play by passing the 'nonessential' bits, but I think the way things are only kills hype and it makes the game look bad.
No , and noone cares.

virtiqaL

Noob
The only time restart match option kind of disappoints me is when it comes to brutalities, which are mostly short and quick to the point anyway. Would be nice to disable the pause option for the losing player when a brutality has been initiated.

Otherwise, I don't really give a shit.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I don't particularly care for it, but players are gonna do what they're gonna do.

That said, they should always put me on stream for my 2 losses at tournaments. I will never skip brutalities or fatalities b/c it makes me feel like a rage quitting little bitch. lmao

Israfel

Designer for BxA
When your talking about pools and what not I disagree fully. When you have a huge tournament, time is of the essence and you need to keep things moving along as quick as you can. However, when it comes down to the TOP 8 or so, absolutely play things out. You are in the finals so enjoy every second of it. If you are playing a FT3 in the finals end it with a Fatality or Brutality for the love of all things HYPE on the Match point at the very least.

That's my two cents anyways.

BunLantern

Long live b13 minigun
The only time restart match option kind of disappoints me is when it comes to brutalities, which are mostly short and quick to the point anyway. Would be nice to disable the pause option for the losing player when a brutality has been initiated.

I agree, fatalities and X-rays are a waste of time but brutalities are hype. Let those rock and skip the rest. Not that I care all that much, let the players do what they want.

HoneyBee

Flash God Lord
I think Top 8s for major tournaments like CEO, EVO, etc. should play it out tbh. Many times, people from other communities are watching the game and they don't get to see the brutalities/fatalities/x-rays all the time + stream viewers so it does build the hype. If you were there at CEO, you would have noticed how much more hype the crowd got when a fatality or a brutality or an x-ray were performed because they look awesome and they're a big part of what Mortal Kombat is about for the casual spectator.

I think it's a hype killer to finally win a set and perform your fatality, just to have your opponent immediately disconnect their controller and all that can be seen is a blue screen.

Having the option to pause and restart match is really awesome for casual play but I think a "Tournament Mode" that would disable the feature would be beneficial for stream hype and crowd hype for JUST Top 8.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
Tournament players don't care/think what's hype for a spectator during a tournament match.

I don't think you can skip brutalities.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Maybe super casual spectators, yeah. But I'm pretty sure most of us here want to see actual matches, not shit we can just see on YouTube
Disagree.

How hype were matches in MK9 when say... a brady special happened that ended the match with a win and you watch sub zero reach in and crush his opponents organs and bash their head in? It's like... OHHHHHHH SHIT!

Now it's like... OHHH - pause. lol

But like I said, let them do what they want. Don't really care.

Onilordasmodeus

I think Top 8s for major tournaments like CEO, EVO, etc. should play it out tbh. Many times, people from other communities are watching the game and they don't get to see the brutalities/fatalities/x-rays all the time + stream viewers so it does build the hype. If you were there at CEO, you would have noticed how much more hype the crowd got when a fatality or a brutality or an x-ray were performed because they look awesome and they're a big part of what Mortal Kombat is about for the casual spectator.

I think it's a hype killer to finally win a set and perform your fatality, just to have your opponent immediately disconnect their controller and all that can be seen is a blue screen.

Having the option to pause and restart match is really awesome for casual play but I think a "Tournament Mode" that would disable the feature would be beneficial for stream hype and crowd hype for JUST Top 8.
Thank you, and this is really the point. I was at CEO. I heard how loud the crowd got during the sets when someone finished a match with a Brutality or an X-ray, even a fatality when WE were denied everything else. Likewise I heard the disappointment EVERTYIME a match was quit out of, or a fatality was censored by the PS4 blue screen.

I think most people who responded to this thread just reacted to what I said rather than actually processing it. You might see these things (x-rays, fatalities, etc) everyday all day, but other people don't. Also, seeing these aspects of the game in tournament play is something completely different all together than searching for it on YouTube and watching it there.

Again, I get that it speeds up playtime, and I'm all for it in casual play, but in a tournament final set with1000+ in attendance and 90,000+ watching on stream, showing the game off goes a long way.

Onilordasmodeus

No, Tanya kills the hype.
You should have heard the crowd when DJT (Sub) beat MIT (Tanya) and Fatality'd her on screen.

Tanya did kill the hype, but her death was very hype.

Edit: I should add too that MIT was about to skip/censor the Fatalty by disconnecting his controller. He essentially showed the crowd mercy by letting it play out.

SonicFox did something similar in his match with deg as SonicFox killed Deg with a Brutality, then Deg paused it...and just sat there not allowing it to play out while he sat and thought about what he was going to do next before he hit restart. He could have let it play out while he thought, and then choose restart match, but he wanted to deny Sonicfox (and as a byproduct the crowd) the Brutatlity.

Sonicfox ended up reaching over and unpausing the game on Deg's stick. The crowd was pleased, and Deg went on to restart the match when he was ready.

Last edited:

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
Agreed, true post.

But the "salt cam" or player cam or whatever you want to call it can at times counter this. Sometimes you can see someone is visibly pissed off at the loss and this community looooves drama so that has hype potential.