What's new

MKX to take over tournaments nationwide.

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
i've been thinking about this for a while and when @CD jr posted in his thread about it it really got me inspired. i firmly believe MKX and our community can take over grass roots tournaments when it releases. now the real question is can it sustain as the number one game? we know how well the tournaments do for the first 6-7 months of the game, but INJ has a dramatic decrease in numbers since last year at majors.

i feel with the added players from INJ and the old MK heads coming back from their tournament hiatus its a real possibility that the new players MKX will bring that we can easily surpass a 6-7 year old game in SFIV and marvel. the one thing that capcom players edge us in is consistently getting numbers for a lot of years through out the games life. can we as a community consistently travel like these other communities? i feel that if NRS took a dota approach like what @R.E.O. suggested to me that it can easily bring growth to our community and the FGC.

dota is made with competition in mind and it has 8 million unique players a month. (yes i know its a free game) they actively support the tournament scene as soon as you log in the game. posting tournament info, and the prize pot for their evo which is currently on pace to break $10 million. having that exposure will bring sooooooooooooooo much to the FGC and the NRS community. shit if NRS wants i'll act as their liaison and keep the in game menu updated on locals, regionals (like KIT lol jk) and majors. i know many great qualified people like @CrimsonShadow who already do this (even though he's hella busy all the time) and @AK RM Blake who i think would do this for free!!

i really want to see the FGC grow and i think that NRS should take a page out of riot or valve's book and implement something like this in their game. also we all need to do our part in this. MLG has only 64 players? wtf, if i could make it like i originally planned to i would. why did SCR have 100+? isn't it in the same area? with tournament numbers come sponsorships and money. and money keeps everything flowing, if NRS players start getting legit sponsors then they will be at more tournaments. i feel like this is a real possibility and would like to the the opinion of the community on this one. am not a huge voice in this community or anything but i just wanted to put this out there. can we surpass capcom at these tournaments? can or will NRS implement such features into their games? are all of your bodies ready to get out into the scene make great friends and fight in great rivalries? can you still not believe its butter?

I think its time i get some fucking apologies for what happened in that MLG thread. Its an embarssement to our community and could easily ruin future hopes for MLG for MKX as people spammed and their twitter but couldnt even reach half the cap :/ On a different note i think when MKX xomes out it will have double the entrants that Injustice had and will keep them much longer.

i've been thinking about this for a while and when @CD jr posted in his thread about it it really got me inspired. i firmly believe MKX and our community can take over grass roots tournaments when it releases. now the real question is can it sustain as the number one game? we know how well the tournaments do for the first 6-7 months of the game, but INJ has a dramatic decrease in numbers since last year at majors.

i feel with the added players from INJ and the old MK heads coming back from their tournament hiatus its a real possibility that the new players MKX will bring that we can easily surpass a 6-7 year old game in SFIV and marvel. the one thing that capcom players edge us in is consistently getting numbers for a lot of years through out the games life. can we as a community consistently travel like these other communities? i feel that if NRS took a dota approach like what @R.E.O. suggested to me that it can easily bring growth to our community and the FGC.

dota is made with competition in mind and it has 8 million unique players a month. (yes i know its a free game) they actively support the tournament scene as soon as you log in the game. posting tournament info, and the prize pot for their evo which is currently on pace to break $10 million. having that exposure will bring sooooooooooooooo much to the FGC and the NRS community. shit if NRS wants i'll act as their liaison and keep the in game menu updated on locals, regionals (like KIT lol jk) and majors. i know many great qualified people like @CrimsonShadow who already do this (even though he's hella busy all the time) and @AK RM Blake who i think would do this for free!!

i really want to see the FGC grow and i think that NRS should take a page out of riot or valve's book and implement something like this in their game. also we all need to do our part in this. MLG has only 64 players? wtf, if i could make it like i originally planned to i would. why did SCR have 100+? isn't it in the same area? with tournament numbers come sponsorships and money. and money keeps everything flowing, if NRS players start getting legit sponsors then they will be at more tournaments. i feel like this is a real possibility and would like to the the opinion of the community on this one. am not a huge voice in this community or anything but i just wanted to put this out there. can we surpass capcom at these tournaments? can or will NRS implement such features into their games? are all of your bodies ready to get out into the scene make great friends and fight in great rivalries? can you still not believe its butter?
Just quote my post in that thread nigga I said the same thing!

TKB

Noob
I was never into MK9, didn't play it when it came out and have only played it a total of 5 or 6 times; that said, I am a huge fan of all old school MK. I never thought I would like injustice and just sorta fell in love and have been playing it like crazy ever since. I am now 100% on the bandwagon for MKX and I agree for sure that there will most certainly be a huge following of players, both from mk9 and Injustice like myself.

It's tough to say whether we would be able to overtake the capcom or SNK community, those games have an insanely huge and loyal following. However, with the way this game is looking so far, I'll wager the number of serious players playing it will be larger than ever before. :)

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
@Zyphox

NRS and Ed Boon have been hinting HARD at an online mode that immerses everyone online in a tournament like setting of some kind (outside of ranked matches, player matches and KingOfTheHill).

Theyve yet to reveal details on it at all but you could tell they are foaming at the mouth waiting to say something about it already.

If NRS somehow get the casual crowd to enjoy the tournament scene itll be REVOLUTIONARY for American mainsteam specially. I seriously can't wait to see what it is and hope its as successful as they want it to be. It could mean so much not only for our scene, but got fighting games in general.

Even though Street Fighter and Marvel are clearly the most popular fighters in the fighting game scene, to casual American gamers Mortal Kombat is actually more popular. THATS the demographic they have to get excited to compete, the Call of Duty/bandwagan mainstrean.

@Zyphox

If NRS somehow get the casual crowd to enjoy the tournament scene itll be REVOLUTIONARY for American mainsteam specially. I seriously can't wait to see what it is and hope its as successful as they want it to be. It could mean so much not only for our scene, but got fightinggames in general.

Even though Street Fighter and Marvel are clearly the most popular fighters in the fighting game scene, to casual American gamers Mortal Kombat is actually more popular. THATS the demographic they have to get excited, the Call of Duty/bandwagan mainstrean.
good luck with that. thats the problem right there. mk has always appealed to casual players before mk9. i dont expect nything different from mk10. but the casuals are always the first to move on from a game no matter what genre.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
good luck with that. thats the problem right there. mk has always appealed to casual players before mk9. i dont expect nything different from mk10. but the casuals are always the first to move on from a game no matter what genre.

It's a stretch but its not impossible.

Serious players don't just migrate to games by luck, they have to be excited to compete first, whether it be by feeling theyre good, riot's methods Zyphox mentioned in the OP, or by shear fun and hive-mind.

Of course the terrible casual players will move on, but if this game breeds about 2,000 totally new SERIOUS fighting gamers across the USA like SF4 did in 2009, then we'll be looking at a bright future for our community. (granted theyd have to be fortunate enough to travel or live near FGC hotspots)

I think it's totally possible.

I agree with what you are saying about advertising tournaments in game.

League of Legends (another Moba) also does this very well. When logging into the game, a Splash page generally advertises any new content/news/tournaments/etc.

If some of these games with competitive scenes began advertising Grass Roots major tournaments at login as well as eSports events or anything notable, that could do a lot to drive viewership to streams and bring new people into the scene.

For anybody that considers themselves to be just an Injustice player, continue to support your game at any major that also has MKX.

I would love to see both games thrive, and there should be enough cross-pollination to keep both games going for years.

Don't let Injustice die, like MK9 died with the release of Injustice.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
The success of MKX's offline scene in the end is going to be decided by one simple thing that most fighters lack compared to shooters.

Netcode.

If this game is nearly lagless online and has the sales of Mk9 or injustice then it'll be HUGE. Add in a solid tutorial mode to teach noobies the finer aspects of fighters, as to create new people who play and understand the games well, and were looking at a goldmine.

TKB

Noob
Strange post. Injustice is complete trash while MK9 is the best fighter of all time.
You're welcome to your opinion but there is no need to bash on mine. I personally feel like injustice was obviously improved upon vs mk9, which is well documented to be horribly unbalanced. Not to mention it feels sticky and sloppy to me when I've played it. MKX looks much more fluid though and so far I'm pretty excited for it :)

I agree with what you are saying about advertising tournaments in game.

League of Legends (another Moba) also does this very well. When logging into the game, a Splash page generally advertises any new content/news/tournaments/etc.

If some of these games with competitive scenes began advertising Grass Roots major tournaments at login as well as eSports events or anything notable, that could do a lot to drive viewership to streams and bring new people into the scene.
This will only get rage mail like "I bet you're one of those tournament [ban incoming] that practices".

Never seen so much derp in my life before.

Pearl Monnkey

Mountain Climber
You're welcome to your opinion but there is no need to bash on mine. I personally feel like injustice was obviously improved upon vs mk9, which is well documented to be horribly unbalanced. Not to mention it feels sticky and sloppy to me when I've played it. MKX looks much more fluid though and so far I'm pretty excited for it :)
You just bashed my opinion holmes. Balanced fighters are boring dude.

TKB

Noob
You just bashed my opinion holmes. Balanced fighters are boring dude.
Lol I don't agree with that but I think it's impossible to make any fighting game completely balanced, it just won't happen.

And no offense to you man if you love the game good for you, I personally don't enjoy it.

We can both agree that MKX looks amazing atleast :)

Pearl Monnkey

Mountain Climber
Lol I don't agree with that but I think it's impossible to make any fighting game completely balanced, it just won't happen.

And no offense to you man if you love the game good for you, I personally don't enjoy it.

We can both agree that MKX looks amazing atleast :)
Yes, MKX does look good. But I don't think I'll like it like MK9, smh @ stamina meter and the 'run' feature.

I don't like balanced fighters because I believe in tier lists. For instance, MK9. It'd be boring if all of them were factually in the same realm of chance of winning against each-other via 5-5 matchups. It's fun when there's broken characters and shittier characters. Makes the game last longer. Idc if my favorite character is trash in the game, I'll just pick someone top tier that I happen to like or just use a bottom tier. Think people dislike unbalanced fighting games cause their favorite character was lacking tools or whatever.

In mk9 I used 8 characters mainly: Kano/KungLao/Jax/Reptile/Ermac/Scorpion/QuanChi/Cage

Never liked Kano in a game before (playing wise, but always liked him as a character), same with Cage/Jax/KL. But It's not cause Cage/Jax/KL are top tier, just like how they played. Scorpion/Kano/QuanChi were shit tier but liked them as well. Depends on how they are in the game, not the tier placement.

Reactions: TKB

Breakin Wordzz

Best Rengar NA, also ares of world

the reason dota league sf4 and sc2 are so big is because those games get played internationally. nrs only gets played in the americas