What's new

MKX System Guide

The Farmer

Gunslinger since pre ptch -Shout out 2 Youphs 2015
@Tom Brady superb write up. This is very valuable info for new players, much appreciated. Glad I read this specifically on the stamina mechanics. Thanks again.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Wow, great read and glad I read it before getting in to the game. Stamina meter...

What about a brief description of exactly how stamina / super meter builds?
So at least for right now:

When you use stamina (say you run, backdash, cancel a teleport etc) the stamina meter drains, and then there's a pause. After the pause, the meter begins to refill -- slowly at first, and then it accelerates until it's refilling pretty quickly by the end.

Different actions which drain stamina have different recharge times. So Takedas's backdash, for example, recharges more quickly than his teleport cancel.

When you run, the stamina continually drains as you're running. So if you stop the run very short, it doesn't drain very much. But once you no longer have a full bar, you aren't able to run again until you have at least one bar of stamina to start the run. If you have say, 80% of one bar left and try to run, the stamina bar will flash red and you'll hear the "not enough stamina" indicator.

This means that, even cancelling as quickly as possible, you can usually only get 2-3 run cancels in before you drop below a full bar and aren't able to do them until a single bar recharges.

Last edited:

Johnny San

Shazzy's Biggest Fan
The blocking in MKX changes up the way you look at frame data because it takes at least 1 frame to come out of bock with a normal. Reversals are different because you can come out of block with a special/back dash/throw on the very first frame possible.
Has MK always been like this? I had no clue.

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
Pushblock requires way too much super meter, specially in a game with only 3 bars. In inj it required 1/4 bars and in MKX 2/3 plus stamina? Doesn't make sense to me.

roosTakk

Chode Juggler
Pushblock requires way too much super meter, specially in a game with only 3 bars. In inj it required 1/4 bars and in MKX 2/3 plus stamina? Doesn't make sense to me.
I didnt like people getting out of my pressure free for 1 bar. Now they have to use 2 and lose stamina...i like it

infamy23

FireBeard
I dunno, breaking is a pretty powerful mechanic. I feel that it should be expensive.

X-Ray is ~32% unbreakable damage, and costs 3 meters.

Breaker can potentially avoid 30% damage, as well as avoiding the massively disadvantageous position you would be in after the combo is over. 2 meters seems reasonable to me.

It's a get out of jail free card that should not be abusable. People should have to pay for their mistakes, or spend a crapload of meter to avoid punishment.

chuco_

Noob
Thanks, I needed something like this since this'll be my 1st MK game. Played Injustice a lil bit and wanted to know similarities and differences of the two games.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
The only thing that I had to read a few times is the "throw immunity" why would someone try to throw if someone else is already attacking them ie chain, special move whatever?

I would have to see a vid example of this, I just don't see it happening often from what I understand. Appreciate the basic guide bits though.

I also didn't know til now that to block break, you need to apparently hit F+Block AND switch stance button aka Left Trigger. That's interesting. That's good cause it eliminates the possibility of accidentally block breaking vs. normal breaking. Good thinking NRS.

Last edited:

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
I dunno, breaking is a pretty powerful mechanic. I feel that it should be expensive.

X-Ray is ~32% unbreakable damage, and costs 3 meters.

Breaker can potentially avoid 30% damage, as well as avoiding the massively disadvantageous position you would be in after the combo is over. 2 meters seems reasonable to me.

It's a get out of jail free card that should not be abusable. People should have to pay for their mistakes, or spend a crapload of meter to avoid punishment.
I was talking about pushblocks not breakers.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
1)The delayed get up is no longer a roll? SHEEEEEEEEIT. That will take time for me to get used to.

2) Throw system is now back to MK9 / Soul Calibur system! YESSSSS. I was not a fan of unduckable Injustice throws nor the SF4 option selects (I know you can frame trap, but still,)

Thank god u cant just act like an idiot with wake up attacks anymore. That is so annoying in mk9 where u have to respect their wake up or bait something. Lookin forward to rushing down with goro. Thanks for the breakdown.

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
Thank god u cant just act like an idiot with wake up attacks anymore. That is so annoying in mk9 where u have to respect their wake up or bait something. Lookin forward to rushing down with goro. Thanks for the breakdown.
Well most were combo punishable on block so...

Now you get KO and is 50/50 town and poke harassment lol.

Albo

Noob
With forward dashing I'm able cancel a forward dash by doing ff, block, block which cancels a run into block, lessening the duration of a full forward dash but also the distance by a little (uses about 30-40% of a stamina bar).

G4S MinotaurLord

Wielder of Toxins
Due to the stamina meter-dependent back dashes, is it going to be a lot harder to create space and get out of pressure? How will this evolve the meta? It seems like having to spend meter on back-dashing will make this a very rushdown-oriented game. Thoughts?