What's new

MKX Prerelease FAQs / Info

trufenix

bye felicia
I figured since the What We Know thread has kinda fallen by the wayside, I would start this thread to take some of the pressure off the few special individuals who get the chance to play this game at shows. This way when they start asking what questions we want answered, they don't get inundated with requests for already answered questions. I will update this post whenever concrete confirmed information is posted, but feel free to ask a question (or provide an answer) you don't see. I've started with a few that I've read a couple hundred times.
General
Q. I saw [x], are they confirmed?
A. MKX is reported to have 100s (yeah, right) of cameos and fightable characters in story mode / tower mode. Sindel, Erron Black, Rain, Baraka, Kabal, Nightwolf, Fujin, and Stryker have all been seen but not yet confirmed. Kenshi is confirmed playable in mobile, but has only appeared in Story Mode otherwise.

Q. Will there be blind variation select?
A. Quoth colt; "duh"

Q. Are there different fatalities / X-Rays per variation?
A. No.

Q. Are there anti-air normals (AA jab, etc)?
A. Character specific, but yes.

Q. Can you combo from d+1 / d + 4?
A. Character specific, but yes. d+4, slide is confirmed with Sub-Zero.

Q. Can you combo from JIP,NJP,JIK,etc?
A.
@insignis ; jump in hits are all different (like Injustice where j1 and j2 have different hitbox and frame properties plus the same system for j3 and j4). JiK knockdowns but you can combo out of it like in MK9.
Q. Does the stance switch button do anything?
A. At current, not much. It is used in some of Summoner (Quan Chi)'s bat inputs.

Q. Can you cancel full strings into specials (Inj), or do you have to cancel them early (MK)?
A. It is both character and string specific. Some strings have throws built into them, but you cannot cancel a string into your standard throw.

Q. Can you kill yourself with self-damage inflicting moves? (Kotal, Ferra/Torr, etc)
A. Yes, although it appears the damage buff will carry over across rounds.

Q. How does [x] work?
A.
Breakers - Breakers are still performed with F+BL. They require full stamina and two blocks of EX meter.

Brutalities - Brutalities are activated when landing specific moves (both commands and specials) as the last move in the final round. Each one has its own requirements for activation, similar to no blocking for babalities. NRS claims there are hundreds in the game.

Dashing - Forward dash is free, backward dash costs 1 bar of stamina. Forward dash is completely unsafe and has no invulnerability. Attempting to block during a forward dash (ANY PART OF THE DASH) will trigger a run. Backdash is reported to have some invulnerability, and may be character specific. Neither dash is cancellable in any way, except from forward to run.

EX / Meter Burn - MKX includes both MK9 style EX special moves, and Injustice style meter burns (MB). Both options cost one bar of meter. Some moves include both an EX and MB option (E.G. Scorpion's spear) and can be used at the same time. Some character / variation specific strings can also be meter burned.

Interactibles - Like Injustice interactibles have their own dedicated button, and light up when within useable range. Unlike Injustice they are completely blockable and their uses are standardized across the entire cast. They cost 1 bar of stamina. Movement interactibles can be chained together, and allow full use of air normals / specials. (Some?) Interactibles can be meter burned for a single hit of armor. This includes attacking and leveraging (movement). Interactibles can be disabled at the character select screen.

Running - In lieu of a run button, MKX uses F,F + BL to trigger a run. The run lasts until you run out of Stamina, release BL, or cancel it into anything (they are fully cancellable). There is a "minimum" amount of stamina needed to run, trying to run below it results in a flash of the meter and no run.

Stamina - The stamina bar is below the character life bars near the center. It is divided into two blocks. It is spent when dashing, performing breakers, and using interactibles. Some actions take an entire block others just a small / steady amount. It regenerates slowly while idle, or all at once a few seconds after being hit.

Throws - Throws can now be used on airborne opponents to conclude juggles. They can also be meter burned to reset the opponent to standing and continue combos.
@insignis ; meter burned throws give BIG advantage but pushes further than sweep distance. We used long distance slow moves and opponent was unable to counterpoke it.
Wake Ups -
@Eddy Wang ;
From paulo (the on blast show i guess)
  • Only ex Wakeup have invincibility frame on startup.
Per Kombat Kast #2, delayed wake up is confirmed as is a wake up backdash, though the input, frames, invincibility, etc are unknown.

Q. Can I pick [x] faction with [y] character?
A. Yes. Faction is tied to your WBID, not what characters you play. Faction points are earned across all modes, offline and online. You can switch Factions freely, but you will lose all your "rewards" in that faction. It is unknown how this works for exclusively offline players, or players without WBIDs.

Q. Is it true some content is only available by playing MKX Mobile?
A. Yes, like Injustice some content (probably costumes, player card backgrounds, etc) will only be unlockable by playing the Mobile game.

Cassie Cage
Q. What does The American Way taunt do?
A. Nothing. It is just a taunt. Makes a funny noise though.

D'Vorah
Q. How does Venomous work?
A. All attacks with her Ovipositors (tentacles) inflict a damage over time debuff. Each hit stacks, increasing the amount of damage per "tick".

Ferra / Torr
Q. Does Pain & Gain stack?
A. Yes, although it is unknown if the buff time runs out all at once (Bane's Trait) or gradually.

Goro
Q. Is Goro a full fledged character?
A. Yes, he is confirmed to be fully playable and have 3 variations like the rest of the cast.

Kano
Q. Is the low ender to Kano's Airball automatic or do he have a mixup? (Same for the MB tackle)
A. Any time the airball reaches the ground (hit or miss) the sweep comes out. Presumably the tackle works the same way on MB.

Kotal
Q. What do Blood God's totems do?
A. Kotal can summon one totem at a time which lasts a few moments and then crumbles. The obsidian (black/purple) totem decreases all damage received. The crystal (grey) totem increases all damage dealt. The blood (red) totem absorbs "blood" damage Kotal deals, and when it crumbles it restores his life. If he is hit, the stored "blood" is lost.

Q. Do his totem and sacrifice buffs stack?
A. Yes, you can stack the crystal totem and blood offering buffs for real aztec damage.

Q. How does his Sun God variation work?
A. Each time Kotal lands his command grab, it powers up his tattoos, increasing the amount of damage the next command grab will do up to three times. At any time he can "cash out" his tattoo level and convert it to life or meter. If he fails to land the command grab or cash out his tattoos they will expire on their own.

Quan Chi
Q. Is that Moloch in his intro?
It has been confirmed by John Vogel (Story lead) that yes, that is Moloch.

Q. Does his Summoner variation work like Zod's trait?
No. Quan Chi's bat lasts either a few seconds, until he is hit, or until one of its moves are used. It has no cooldown but has heavy start up. During trance he gets a free summon.

Q. How do his Sorceror spells work?
The purple spell adds a damage over time debuff to Skull and Ground Blast (Rune) attacks. The green spell grants him a single hit of armor that regenerates a moment or so after its used. The red spell increases chip damage inflicted on the opponent. When a spell is cast it appears at Quan (or his opponent)'s feet and remains there for its duration, Quan Chi is buffed (or his opponent debuffed) only so long as he remains within the spell circle, though being airborne is fine.

Raiden
Q. How do you activate his Storm Lord traps? How long do they last?
A. They last for a few seconds, even when not activated, but eventually disappear. They cause no harm until activated. They can be activated by any lightning projectile type move (vicinity blast, electric shot, etc)

Q. Is Raiden's "old" X-Ray coming back / being given to another character?
A. No.

Q. Does Raiden have teleport in all variations?
A. No. Only Displacer has teleport. Its command is D,U and then F,B,D or neutral to determine his destination.

Scorpion
Q. Can Scorpion's X-Ray be redirected?
A. Yes, he can either go forward or backward.

Q. What is the point of Scorpion's hellball?
A. The hell ball recovers faster than the spear, can be charged to increase its damage (dash cancelling unknown), and absorbs other projectiles when meter burned.

Q. Can you cancel Scorpion's teleport?
A. Per MIT, Scorpion has three teleport options;
D,B+3 is the standard attacking teleport, can be meter burned for a launch.
D,B+3,D teleports behind the opponent without attacking.
D,B+3,F / B teleports backwards but does not pass through the screen.

Q. Does Scorpion still have his Vortex?
A. So far only in Ninjitsu according to @MITDJT
MIT at Playstation Experience said:
I decided to embark on seeing if he had his vortex still.............. and he does #YEEAAAPPP. So he has a overhead option (forward 2) which had great reach and was double hitting and seemed safer than his mk9 overhead which was back 2. His low option was f3 with didn't have the same reach as his forward 4 in mk9 but it was safe on block if u just did it with nothing else (apparently u can use it to stuff wakeups as I stuffed subzero's slide with it when playing DJT lol). He certainly still has his mini vortex as well so that is great :).

Sub-Zero
Q. Which Sub-Zero is he?
A. Kuai Liang appears masked (in "evil" garb) near the beginning of story mode. He later appears unmasked with his scar as leader of the Lin Kuei. The identity of "normal" masked Sub Zero is yet unknown.

Q. Can he clone in the air?
A. No.

Q. Is it true his clone reacts to projectiles?
A. Yes, it shatters on impact but clone can absorb one projectile. His MB/EX Ice Ball will also absorb any projectiles in its path.

Unanswered Questions:
Q. Can you cancel strings / chargeable specials into run, or is there an Inj style universal run cancel?

Q. What does Kano's chest pound (Cutthroat variation) do?

Q. Is Dash / Run speed universal or character specific?

Q. Will online play be region locked?

Edited by KingShaz

Last edited:

insignis

Noob
I believe it may be a matter to change but at the Igromir's build in Moscow:
  • meter burned throws give BIG advantage but pushes further than sweep distance. We used long distance slow moves and opponent was unable to counterpoke it.
  • d2 - high, plus on block, pushes further than sweep distance, looks to have lesser recovery than in MK9
  • jump in hits are all different (like Injustice where j1 and j2 have different hitbox and frame properties plus the same system for j3 and j4). JiK knockdowns but you can combo out of it like in MK9.
  • wakeups exist
  • AA with jabs is possible

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
At last a thread i can take serious and actually comment on it. Good Job @trufenix

btw, just to add to the already useful information:

the stamina meter has 2 blocks, completely full is at 100% half full is 50% of it.
interactibles, backdashes and propeling jumps costs 50% of stamina meter by each use (drains by half).
breaker costs 100% of the stamina meter.

It takes about 2 seconds to refill it completely if its completely depleted.

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
I haven't gone back to study the gameplay vids, but this question popped up in my head....

We know that walks and dashes differ from character to character and depending on whether they're forward or backward.

Has it been pointed out whether or not running is different between characters? Different start-ups, different travel speeds, different meter drain? Or is it simply universal?

trufenix

bye felicia
I haven't gone back to study the gameplay vids, but this question popped up in my head....

We know that walks and dashes differ from character to character and depending on whether they're forward or backward.

Has it been pointed out whether or not running is different between characters? Different start-ups, different travel speeds, different meter drain? Or is it simply universal?
Meter drain seems universal (time based) but there is definitely a disparity between the character runs. No idea on dashes though. I'll put the question up.

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
Thanks sui much for this! There were a couple things I didn't know, and I thought I knew everything I could about MKX so far.

I would ask to add the existence of alt controls and whether they'll still make bf turn into hcf to the unanswered question list. I'm very curious about those two.

Something to add with Fera/Torr, it does appear that there are moves that have different properties when Ferra is/is-not on Torr's back. In one gameplay clip, he does a back-turn-around kick, and only when Ferra is on his back, will she have the ability to run across his extended leg as he kicks and deliver an extra blow to the opponent. Probably one of my favorite moves for how cool it looks despite just being a normal and not a special.

This seems to be an extended string, because he once did this move with Ferra on his back, but did not have Ferra do the extra hit, it was just the back-kick. It's cool, because there's not only Ferra specific moves, but strings that will work differently whether or not she's around. Maybe this is intended to cause balance with using Ferra- if you use her and she can't get on your back after, you lose access to a good number of moves and unique strings.

Lackey variation looks boring though. This is just from the gameplay I watched- maybe it's fun, but that doesn't change my issue with it. It may have its own set of moves, but they don't look as cool. Part of what made Ferra/Torr stand out is how they use each other to fight, like the example of the back-kick. Taking her out of the picture just makes it look less interesting, kinda like a Sub Zero variation that has nothing to do with ice-attacks: I don't care if that would be the strongest Sub Zero variation with it's moves, I wouldn't want to play it.

trufenix

bye felicia
It hasn't yet been seen if Lackey is the only variation that loses moves and if Viscious (heavy Ferra use) and Ruthless (P&G) have the same normal set. I would assume P&G has less options, otherwise Viscious would be entirely redundant. Kano seems to be the only other character with two variations that have extra weapon based string options, since both Cuttthroat and Commando have the big knifes on his back. D'vorah seems to have none at all, but thats probably because nobody's really explored her yet. Course I could be totally off base and all three variations of everybody have different strings. Unfortunately those little bubbles don't list every single change and that's all we got to go on.

I'm in the process of pouring over the 40min brasil video and pulling out any move list caps that pop up during the fights to see if we can get a better idea of whats what.

KingShaz

In the Shadows
I've Stickied/Stuck this thread.
Please keep it updated @trufenix. If not, one of the Mods will take it over by editing your opening post.

PANDA

*Supreme Member*
When will MK X be released on PC?

And will the matchmaking/netcode be as bad as MK 9 and Injustice?

Will MKX get released in Germany?
If not, can a German PS4 play the US or Eng version of MKX online etc?

Thanks in advance.

trufenix

bye felicia
Added some Scorpion info from MITs thread.

When will MK X be released on PC?

And will the matchmaking/netcode be as bad as MK 9 and Injustice?
There is definitely a PC version in the works, but NRS in house will not be doing it. Supposedly they are doing something major with the online play, so who knows if it will be any better in the end.

trufenix

bye felicia
Will MKX get released in Germany?
If not, can a German PS4 play the US or Eng version of MKX online etc?

Thanks in advance.
It was already advertised in a German gaming mag so its definitely not banned yet, but whether the final game is banned will come down to its content rating.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I think it should be noted that MKX is being developed concurrently on PS4, XB1, and PC. So we shouldn't have any of the "bad port" issues we had with MK9.

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
Has anybody noticed or heard word about certain interactables being breakable if you combo into them?

Just re-watched that Cassie vs Kotal vid and she did her quick launching kick into the multi-hitting tree branch swing. Curious if it those are planned unbreakable options.

And now that I think about it... are mid-combo throws and/or uppercuts unbreakable (like MKD/MKA)? Anybody paid attention to that?

It was already advertised in a German gaming mag so its definitely not banned yet, but whether the final game is banned will come down to its content rating.
thanks for the heads-up
but sometimes when I see games like The evil within ( which is probably on par with the violence content of mkx ) getting released in germany I have
no clue why germany has always been banning mk games in the past

trufenix

bye felicia
thanks for the heads-up
but sometimes when I see games like The evil within ( which is probably on par with the violence content of mkx ) getting released in germany I have
no clue why germany has always been banning mk games in the past
If Germany's review body works anything like the ESRB, there is no actual standard for gore, it's all based on how they feel when they review it. Unfortunately, there's still no doubt that MK is the king of gore. Other games may have the occasional gory scenes, or a hero that spends the entire game brutalizing monsters or robots or demons, but MK has fatalities and x-rays and god knows what else on very human looking characters every single round and thats what kills it. Nobody cares if Bayonetta is sodomizing demons or Kratos shoves a sword inbetween a minotaurs buttcheeks cause they don't look like people. Scorpion however slices peoples fucking faces off and watches their tongues wag helplessly.

I mean MK9 had a mode where all you did was pick a character and then repeat fatalities ad infinatum. That's the kinda shit that kills games at the ratings board.