What's new

MKX pdp or HFD4 controller/fight pad for DS4 alternative (for MKX gameplay)

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
Yes, it's a bit annoying having to turn it back to center
just asking if you leave the dpad in the normal position and never turn it,
does it ever break/come loose?
or does this only happen when you change it back and forth a lot?

i still don't have mine, i just have to ask for future knowledge!

my fc4 is arriving between the 3rd-8th!

so i must know so i don't break mine in the future

C-Sword

Noob
just asking if you leave the dpad in the normal position and never turn it,
does it ever break/come loose?
or does this only happen when you change it back and forth a lot?

i still don't have mine, i just have to ask for future knowledge!

my fc4 is arriving between the 3rd-8th!

so i must know so i don't break mine in the future
I leave it in normal position, but if you use it a lot and slide your fingers on the dpad instead of just tapping the different directions, it becomes loose faster.

I tried using the hori again for a couple of days. To me the dpad is just too small in relation to my hands. I think that's why someone mentioned earlier that the FC4 is good for small hands. Input is much better on DS4 or arcade stick for me.

Didn't have any problem with it moving though.

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
I don't have issues yet either, and it's starting to feel more comfortable in my hands, though I still don't really see a major difference from DS4 personally.

REDRUM

www.twitter.com/redrum26
wait i need a converter for the HORI FC4? please say no... i thought that was only on the HORI FC3

i was under the impression the FC4 was and is plug n play on ps4 and ps3?

no converter needed and you can order the Japanese or American versions.. (mine is Jap) and you dont need anything to make them work on ps3 or ps4 its plug and play same drivers....

Ordered a FC4 yesterday, back ordered on Amazon at the moment but estimated delivery June 18-19 (can't wait!). Will post back with initial feelings after it gets here :)

The only problem I have with the DS4 is the analog trigger and run cancels. And all this talk of triggers breaking... ehhh nah, i'll save my triggers in case I pick up GTA V or some other game in the future. Stick feels really solid on MKX but until I can get my existing stick upgraded to PS4/Xbone I want to avoid carrying around the stick AND a DS4 to link it (not to mention the login issues with how that works- 2nd player having to sign in as guest... too much hassle)

A buddy just got his FC4 and he's been singing it's praises every day since. Super excited!

MadeOfMetal

My review of the Hori FC4

lets start with: i have a serious lack of sleep, up and down all night.

Dpad- is a bit different than the DS4 but fully operational

1234(■▲XO) buttons are shorter and seem to press better and slide better than the ds4.

the start button works as touchpad :
GGA Dizzy said:
Hello all,

As you may have realized, many controllers such as the PDP MKX Pad, MadCatz TE2 and Hori RAP4 (not Kai) lack a touchpad. The way to reset training mode back to default positions is pushing this touchpad button.

However, there is another way!

Perform these steps:

1. Go to Options at the Main Menu
2. Enter Gameplay Options
3. Set Pause Delay to ON (This requires you to hold the Options button to pause the game)

Now when you are in training mode, you can double tap the Options button reset training mode.

Have fun in the lab everyone.
the R2 l2 AND R1/L1 BUTTONS WORK ON TOP

feel better than the ds4.

i love this pad, i love the customization-ability with all the switches:

ps3-ps4
Dpad-Rightstick-Leftstick

Coin Dial on Back:
you can press and turn the dial to one of three settings: L, normal, and S. Changing to L increases the active area of diagonals, allowing a diagonal input to register with a less precise press, which the manual recommends for use with fighting games. The S end of the dial reduces the active diagonal area, which works better for games that require quick, precision taps and movement. It’s a very cool and very clever feature.

all in all it takes alot of time to get used to the button layout for Mortal Kombat X

6 button style throws me off
id rather they left the l1 and l2 button just to the top but thats just my opinion.

i have this strange user malfunction.

i press O instead of pressing X all the time:mad:

if there wasn't a (R1 or R2 button on the right thumb area i would give it a) 10/10

they make me stretch

(my overall score for a DS4 alternative) 8/10

gave it an 8 due to having to relearn pressing buttons that seem farther away;)

Last edited:

Kanalratte

aka FROSTIE
i just wanna tell you guys that both my pads pdp and hori are broken lol. the hori fc4 lasted 2 months before the triangle got jammed. the pdp mkx pad lasted 1 month. now it does random disconnects all the time. so i have to say i'm very dissapointed with both companies. well my advise just stick with DS4. i've now ordered a hitbox, i hope this last longer :oops:

Bilbo11

Noob
Got the Hori FC4, it rocks and I wouldn't go back to anything else. It looks a bit funny and your friends will see it and be like "wtf is that" but its good.
Just tell everyone how good it is.

MadeOfMetal

ive had my hori for a while now and nothing wrong... i like the dpad sensitivity options to adjust for different fighters. and the rotating/tilting dpad makes it easier to confirm button inputs.

i like it better than the ds4... and so far its working

Last edited:

Method

Full Combo Punishable
i just wanna tell you guys that both my pads pdp and hori are broken lol. the hori fc4 lasted 2 months before the triangle got jammed. the pdp mkx pad lasted 1 month. now it does random disconnects all the time. so i have to say i'm very dissapointed with both companies. well my advise just stick with DS4. i've now ordered a hitbox, i hope this last longer :oops:
Is there a hitbox for PS4 now?

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
Just to update: right trigger stopped working out of the blue on my MKX pad so I smashed it into the ground a few times and tossed it in the trash where it belonged from the start. What a disappointment that pad was.

Actually liking the default Xbox One controller better than it, and probably going to end up eventually getting a Cronus Max converter so I can use my Madcatz Brawlpad or waiting it out for the new Elite Xbox One Controller Microsoft is putting out.

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
Been still using this and have been heavily contemplating going back to the DS4, mainly because I don't notice a large difference in usability or precision and I'm afraid of having to have 2 of these all of the time when I could just be used to DS4 and be able to use any controller. I like being able to just plug in and know the thing is working on THAT console, but otherwise I don't even use the 2 extra face buttons, I just still use the shoulders to block/xray/interactable. It's not a bad pad by any means I'm just not noticing really much of an improved experience and have been continuing to use it mainly just because I bought it so I might as well.

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
Been still using this and have been heavily contemplating going back to the DS4, mainly because I don't notice a large difference in usability or precision and I'm afraid of having to have 2 of these all of the time when I could just be used to DS4 and be able to use any controller. I like being able to just plug in and know the thing is working on THAT console, but otherwise I don't even use the 2 extra face buttons, I just still use the shoulders to block/xray/interactable. It's not a bad pad by any means I'm just not noticing really much of an improved experience and have been continuing to use it mainly just because I bought it so I might as well.

I agree with this. I got the pad 2 weeks ago and it's good I like it. The only diffrence is the feel and the d pad along with the two extra buttons. I'm testing both of them right now to see how they feel. But honestly, I'm fine with the DS4 and I have not issues. I can see myself using the Hori for USF4 and SFV however.

MadeOfMetal

i know what your saying, but i like the hori fc4 because, the d-pad tilts, and the back option with coin to change d-pad sensitivity. the 1234 buttons seem to have a different input than normal ds4 controllers. and im growing on it.

i also use r1 for block;) but my ds4 r2's broke still, i have a 6yo. .. i dont like the look of the hori but i do like the feel, its no better than the ds4 feel, but eh, i also like that i dont have a huge touch pad and options/share button in my way that i could accidentally press... this was another problem i had on the ds4, that the hori fixed.

things i dont like about the hori fc4:

1. how i have to double hard press start to reset in lab...
  2. the ps button doesnt turn on the ps4:(
  3. no joysticks for easy typing and full game compatibility
  4. No full screen in KOTH cuz no touchpad
all in all i like the hori but there is things i would change about it,

but on the other hand i would change how the ds4 button layout is, and the build material:)

Last edited:
i know what your saying, but i like the hori fc4 because, the d-pad tilts, and the back option with coin to change d-pad sensitivity. the 1234 buttons seem to have a different input than normal ds4 controllers. and im growing on it.

i also use r1 for block;) but my ds4 r2's broke still, i have a 6yo. .. i dont like the look of the hori but i do like the feel, its no better than the ds4 feel, but eh, i also like that i dont have a huge touch pad and options/share button in my way that i could accidentally press... this was another problem i had on the ds4, that the hori fixed.

things i dont like about the hori fc4:

1. how i have to double hard press start to reset in lab...
  2. the ps button doesnt turn on the ps4:(
  3. no joysticks for easy typing and full game compatibility
  4. No full screen in KOTH cuz no touchpad
all in all i like the hori but there is things i would change about it,

but on the other hand i would change how the ds4 button layout is, and the build material:)
I figured out you can hold the options button on the hori fc4 BEFORE it's your turn to change to full screen. You can't do this after your character select screen comes up

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
PL also said MKX netcode was great lol.

At this point we all know he will say anything for a few bucks from any company.

Anyway PDP pad is garbage, Xbox one pad is better and that isn't saying much since xbox one pad is shit too.

I never tried hori before but I heard it doesn't last very long. Feels good but you gotta keep buying one every 3 months. No good.

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
Just to update: right trigger stopped working out of the blue on my MKX pad so I smashed it into the ground a few times and tossed it in the trash where it belonged from the start. What a disappointment that pad was.

Actually liking the default Xbox One controller better than it, and probably going to end up eventually getting a Cronus Max converter so I can use my Madcatz Brawlpad or waiting it out for the new Elite Xbox One Controller Microsoft is putting out.
Cronusmax lag I repeat, they lag! And they also have dif issues that I'm too lazy to talk about.

Anyway dont get it. It sucks, it drops inputs, it lags and its tournament banned.

lets start with: i have a serious lack of sleep, up and down all night.

Dpad- is a bit different than the DS4 but fully operational

1234(■▲XO) buttons are shorter and seem to press better and slide better than the ds4.

the start button works as touchpad :

the R2 l2 AND R1/L1 BUTTONS WORK ON TOP

feel better than the ds4.

i love this pad, i love the customization-ability with all the switches:

ps3-ps4
Dpad-Rightstick-Leftstick

Coin Dial on Back:
you can press and turn the dial to one of three settings: L, normal, and S. Changing to L increases the active area of diagonals, allowing a diagonal input to register with a less precise press, which the manual recommends for use with fighting games. The S end of the dial reduces the active diagonal area, which works better for games that require quick, precision taps and movement. It’s a very cool and very clever feature.

all in all it takes alot of time to get used to the button layout for Mortal Kombat X

6 button style throws me off
id rather they left the l1 and l2 button just to the top but thats just my opinion.

i have this strange user malfunction.

i press O instead of pressing X all the time:mad:

if there wasn't a (R1 or R2 button on the right thumb area i would give it a) 10/10

they make me stretch

(my overall score for a DS4 alternative) 8/10

gave it an 8 due to having to relearn pressing buttons that seem farther away;)
Is there a way to make KOH full screen using this pad?

Edit: Fixed, Ignore.

Last edited:

zoofs

bless
so general consensus is that the hori fc4 is good? or is there something else I should be checking out?