What's new

Combo List - Kung Lao MKX Kung Lao All variations BnB Guide

Just wondering If the best combos are on the original post? Doesn't seem updated
Depends on what you mean with best. 21 ender sacrifices a few percentages, but allows you to get a hat spin out. If you want the damage, end with f14.

Also hat trick is not up to date. I haven't had time to mess with the variation after the changes yet.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
So combo's aside, what are Kung Lao's most important normals, strings and openers? And how is each of them used?

It would mean a lot to me if someone could give me the quick rundown here :)

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
So combo's aside, what are Kung Lao's most important normals, strings and openers? And how is each of them used?

It would mean a lot to me if someone could give me the quick rundown here :)
The only string I know for certain that's almost essential is 112124 because that's his true block string when used with EX hat spin. After that it's kinda preference.

B2 is an overhead normal, starter with good range but a bit slow.
1,1s are fast, mids, and a good punishing string. 11212 is even better for punishing but the 212 can be hard to pull off.
f2 alone is a good normal that advances, can be cancelled into hat spin for a combo or made somewhat safe.
f2,3 is a good high low starting string but it has a gap between f2,3. I use it a lot though. It can lead to combos.
B3,2,1 is a good advancing string that can lead to big combos. Not sure on the recovery on it but I think it's realtiveily safe when cancelled into hat spin.

That's all I know. I'm not 100% about frame data but I know the blockstring for certain.

The only string I know for certain that's almost essential is 112124 because that's his true block string when used with EX hat spin. After that it's kinda preference.

1,1s are fast, mids, and a good punishing string. 11212 is even better for punishing but the 212 can be hard to pull off.
f2 alone is a good normal that advances, can be cancelled into hat spin for a combo or made somewhat safe.
f2,3 is a good high low starting string but it has a gap between f2,3. I use it a lot though. It can lead to combos.
B3,2,1 is a good advancing string that can lead to big combos. Not sure on the recovery on it but I think it's realtiveily safe when cancelled into hat spin.

That's all I know. I'm not 100% about frame data but I know the blockstring for certain.
standing 1 is a high and f2 is a mid, you got them mixed up

I GOT HANDS

Yup, these are the ones I've found useful so far as well, for exactly the reasons you said.

B2 = Overhead Starter
11212 = Punish / Blockstring
F23 = Advancing punish
B321 = Slower more damage string
44 = Highest damage combo opener, safe on block, best follow up to JiP

Is there anything else? His other strings seems pretty meh, the F3 ones just seem worse than his other advancings.
How good is his D4/D3 ?

Also, is B321 a hard knockdown?

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
Yup, these are the ones I've found useful so far as well, for exactly the reasons you said.

B2 = Overhead Starter
11212 = Punish / Blockstring
F23 = Advancing punish
B321 = Slower more damage string
44 = Highest damage combo opener, safe on block, best follow up to JiP

Is there anything else? His other strings seems pretty meh, the F3 ones just seem worse than his other advancings.
How good is his D4/D3 ?

Also, is B321 a hard knockdown?
After D3 on hit F2 is guaranteed and b321 is a hard knockdown

Vigilante24

Beware my power, Red Lantern's Light
So I am a Hat Trick main and ive been doing some serious work with this character. Ive got a bunch of practical Hat Trick combos that ive been doing all written up in a document on my computer. Would anyone like to know Hat Trick combos or do people still not want to play this variation?

Also here is a really easy combo for buzzsaw that's not on the first post if you make the hard read and get an anti-air up hat:
Up Hat, Insta Divekick, B32 Spin, ji3 Divekick - 22% Meterless

Edit: Oh and would someone mind telling me how to get those little character banner things? I haven't had any luck finding this option.

Last edited:

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
So I am a Hat Trick main and ive been doing some serious work with this character. Ive got a bunch of practical Hat Trick combos that ive been doing all written up in a document on my computer. Would anyone like to know Hat Trick combos or do people still not want to play this variation?

Also here is a really easy combo for buzzsaw that's not on the first post if you make the hard read and get an anti-air up hat:
Up Hat, Insta Divekick, B32 Spin, ji3 Divekick - 22% Meterless

Edit: Oh and would someone mind telling me how to get those little character banner things? I haven't had any luck finding this option.
Nice post man. Yes I like to see hat trick stuff any day! For the banner ish just hit the area under you picture

Vigilante24

Awesome, thanks a lot man. I feel like im one of like very few people to rep this banner haha. Hopefully that will change the more I level up with this character and hope to show how dangerous he can be here in the Dallas scene. This is a really good variation when played right and should not be slept on.

I'll be sure to copy and paste my entire combos section tonight, im currently at work atm. I still need to add a section for when you randomly get the hat call backs that you don't expect to hit when you are up close on the opponent vs when you get hat call backs from a distance.

Here is a little piece of info I remember from my notes. If you have a hat trap set really far behind you and you end up landing a B321, you can cancel into hat call back then teleport grab. If the opponent doesn't delay their wakeup, the hat will still hit them while it is being called back. This sets up a free grab because they either block the hat they get grabbed, or get hit by the hat and you can still convert with a grab. Its rare you will be in this situation but it is there. I ended up landing it on my training partner once during our session last night. So much salt... by the end of the night, I made him love Kung Lao. ;)

Vigilante24

Alright guys this is my entire notepad file of just his basic midscreen and corner combos. I'll let you guys figure out all the other variation specifics and strategies yourself haha. Just remember you can always alter your combos however you like and that this is just a basic starter for anyone wanting to learn this variation. Do with these combos as you please as long as it is something you aren't dropping consistently. :)

***Hat Trick Kung Lao Combos***
By: KHAOTIC_VIGILANTE
PS4: KHTC_VIGILANTE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Midscreen*
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Jab Punisher* [8f]
11212 Spin, ji3 Divekick, ji3 Divekick - 24% (Meterless)
11212 Spin, ji3 Divekick, short rc, F14 - 25% (Meterless, HKD)
112124 EX Hat Toss, 44, rc, B321 Spin, ji3 Divekick, Divekick - 31% (1 Bar)

*Mid Punisher/Low String* [11f] (Best punisher)
f23 Spin, ji3 Divekick, ji3 Divekick - 25% (Meterless)
f23 Spin, ji3 Divekick, short rc, F14 - 25% (Meterless, HKD)
F23 EX Hat Toss, 44, rc, B321 Spin, ji3 Divekick, Divekick - 32% (1 Bar)
F23 EX Hat Toss, 44, rc, B321 Spin, ji3 Divekick, short rc, F14 - 33% (1 Bar, HKD)

*Footsie Starter* [15f]
B321, Hat Toss - 18% (Meterless)
B321, EX Spin, njp, ji3 Divekick, ji3 Divekick - 34% (1 Bar)
B321, EX Spin, njp, ji3 Divekick, short rc, F14 - 34% (1 Bar, HDK)

*Overhead Starter* [18f]
B22, Hat Trap - Hat Call Back, F21D1 - 18% (Meterless)
B22, Hat Trap - Hat Call Back, F21 Hat Toss - 18% (Meterless)
B22, Hat Trap - Hat Call Back, F14 - 19% (Meterless, HKD)
B22, Hat Trap - Hat Call Back, F2 Spin, ji3 Divekick, Divekick - 24% (Meterless)
B22, Hat Trap - Hat Call Back, F21 EX Spin, ji3 Divekick, F14 - 29% (1 Bar, HKD)
B22, Hat Trap - EX Hat Call Back, B321 Spin, ji3 Divekick, Divekick - 32% (1 Bar)

*Insta Dive Kick Starter*
Divekick, 11, B32 Spin, ji3 Divekick - 22% (Meterless)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Fullscreen*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EX Hat Toss, run, 44, rc, B321 Spin, ji3 Divekick, ji3 Divekick - 30% (1 Bar, Requires a lot of stamina)

*Anti Air/Air 2 Air*
ji2, Divekick, 21 - 15% (Meterless)
ji2, Divekick, F21 Spin, ji3 Divekick - 21% (Meterless)
ji2, rc, 4 Spin, ji3 Divekick, ji3 Divekick - 27% (Meterless)

1, B321 Spin, ji3 Divekick, ji3 Divekick - 29% (Meterless)

EX Spin, njp, ji3 Divekick, ji3 Divekick - 25% (1 Bar)

*Anti Crossup*
1, B321 Spin, ji3 Divekick, ji3 Divekick - 29% (Meterless)

Spin, njp, ji3 Divekick, ji3 Divekick - 23% (Meterless)

*Corner Combos w/ Hat On*
**All combos can end with "21 Hat Trap" for a hkd hat trap setup sacrificing about 2% of damage**

*Jab Punisher/Pressure* [8f]
112124 Spin, njp, ji2, ji3 Divekick, 4 Spin - 28% (Meterless)

F23 Spin, njp, ji2, ji3 Divekick, 4 Spin - 28% (Meterless)

*Footsie Starter* [15f]
B321 Spin, njp, ji2, ji3 Divekick, 4 Spin - 33% (Meterless)

*Overhead Starter* [18f]
B22 Hat Trap, 11, 4 Hat Call Back, F21 Spin, 21 - 26% (Meterless, HKD, Hat Trap Setup)

Divekick, 11, B321 Spin, 21 - 22% (Meterless, HKD, Hat Trap Setup)

*Corner Combos w/ Hat Off*
**All combos can end with "21 Hat Trap" for a hkd hat trap setup sacrificing about 2% of damage**

*Jab Punisher/Pressure* [8f]
112124 Hat Call Back, 1, 4 Spin, ji3 Divekick, 4 Spin - 30% (Meterless)

F23 Hat Call Back, 1, 4 Spin, ji3 Divekick, 4 Spin - 31% (Meterless)

*Footsie Starter* [15f]
B321 Hat Call Back, 1, 4 Spin, ji3 Divekick, 4 Spin - 36% (Meterless)

*Overhead String* [14f]
44, B321 Hat Call Back, 1, 4 Spin, 4 Spin - 39% (Meterless)
44, 1, B321 Low Hat Call Back, 11 Spin, 4 Spin - 35% (Meterless, Standing 1 allows for low hat callback to connect more consistently)

*Low Hat Starter*
4 Low Hat Call Back, B321 Spin, njp, ji3 Divekick, 4 Spin - 38% (Meterless, A mixup between 44 OH and 4 Low Hat)

Divekick, 11, B321 Hat Call Back, Spin, 21 -- 24% (Meterless, HKD, Hat Trap Setup)

*Neutral Jump Punch*
njp, B321 Hat Call Back, Spin, ji3 Divekick, 21 - 31% (Meterless, HKD, Hat Trap Setup)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some extra notes:

- I usually never spend meter on EX Hatarang mid combo. Only use it as a full screen read, straight up fullscreen mindgames, or a tool to get in without teleport. Its your choice though.

- If you and up landing a hat call back and your opponent is right in your face, just do the easiest conversion and use Spin, ji3 Divekick, ji3 Divekick combos. It should range around 21%-25% meterless. From my experience I never drop it. If you can consistently do more and have better reactions than me, aahhh damn props! :cool:

- If you land a hat call back on an opponent and they have some distance, convert with a B321 Spin combo. About 27%-29% Meterless, somewhere around there.

- If your hat is off and your opponent decides to mash an unsafe special and you blocked, punish with 11, F23, B32, or B321 into hat call back for normal bnb. The difference between B32 and B321 depends on how far away the hat is. Push them past the hat and you will miss out on a bigger punish. You gotta judge it.

NapalmCL

Professional training dummy
This is awesome stuff. I was playing around with hat trick but now that the weekend is comin up I might try to delve a little into it. Do you have enough time when you end your combos in divekickx2 to set up a trap or do you wait?

I am just finding it tough to play around where I end up setting up the trap. Also do you just always set up a low trap for the low call back or just the regular one for the mid?

I GOT HANDS

This is awesome stuff. I was playing around with hat trick but now that the weekend is comin up I might try to delve a little into it. Do you have enough time when you end your combos in divekickx2 to set up a trap or do you wait?

I am just finding it tough to play around where I end up setting up the trap. Also do you just always set up a low trap for the low call back or just the regular one for the mid?
Not after JK-DK x2, but that's alright. You can sacrifice 1% on practically any combo for a 21 ender instead of the second JK-DK, and have time to do it, but it's ok not to as well. You can end practically anything you throw out with Hat Trap if you get blocked and be completely safe.

I generally just go for the regular hat off a Blockstring, but Low Hat is an option after 21 ender. I'm still not sure how I feel about Low Hat it's a new tool but I'm unsure how useful it is with the extra frames, especially since we lose B22 when it's out. The positives to it is the callback arc being better during AIR Hat callback (one of the big tools we have over Tempest), and once your opponent respects the Low Hat, throwing out F4's out might be a good way to get some damage in here and there. But for the most part, when not fullscreen, or ending in 21, I think regular hat is sufficient. Also, B321 ender you can cancel into Low Hat EZ, but that's pretty much only really a sensible ender off a Divekick opener.

I'd also like to hear @Vigilante24 thoughts on the Low Hat trap as well

NapalmCL

Professional training dummy
Not after JK-DK x2, but that's alright. You can sacrifice 1% on practically any combo for a 21 ender instead of the second JK-DK, and have time to do it, but it's ok not to as well. You can end practically anything you throw out with Hat Trap if you get blocked and be completely safe.

I generally just go for the regular hat off a Blockstring, but Low Hat is an option after 21 ender. I'm still not sure how I feel about Low Hat it's a new tool but I'm unsure how useful it is with the extra frames, especially since we lose B22 when it's out. The positives to it is the callback arc being better during AIR Hat callback (one of the big tools we have over Tempest), and once your opponent respects the Low Hat, throwing out F4's out might be a good way to get some damage in here and there. But for the most part, when not fullscreen, or ending in 21, I think regular hat is sufficient. Also, B321 ender you can cancel into Low Hat EZ, but that's pretty much only really a sensible ender off a Divekick opener.

I'd also like to hear @Vigilante24 thoughts on the Low Hat trap as well
Yeah good points. I was fucking around with my training buddy and doing a back low hat then getting a cross over jp1 into call back was getting him. Also once I had him respecting the trap I would catch him with a 4 low hat callback since he was expecting the second 4 overhead. I am not used to hitting DD2 into spin though so I have to work up that muscle memory.

I already do the 21 ender to set up hat spin (tempest) so doing that into hat trap is just what I naturally do.

Vigilante24

I have absolutely no use for low hat midscreen. If I end a combo with 21, unless it is a character I want to zone/space out or its situational, I was always run in for pressure. Low hat has too much recovery to use in block strings so its not safe. In the corner, after a 21 low hat, you can do 4 Low Hat Call back since everyone is use to 44 string.

After a divekick, you can do 11 Hat Call Back, 4 Spin, Ji3 Divekick for 23%. Ive done it offline, never online tho. :/

Alvhe Feleo

Due tomorrow? Do tomorrow.
Which variation do you recommend, buzz saw or tempest?

@Clark L. I can't hear you in the video with 100% volume, and also your face covers the damage% display, so I couldn't understand anything. You may want to check that out on your video.

Last edited:

Alvhe Feleo

Due tomorrow? Do tomorrow.
As much as I like hat trick setups it's too intensive for the profit. I'd like to learn either buzz saw or tempest in depth before trying what seems to me like the hardest one to play.

Buzz saw has the advancing ex spin and great ranged power, but tempest seems to have better combo tools and I don't know what to pick.

Anyway thanks for suggesting hat trick, it looks really strong once you use it correctly.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Hat Trick post patch damage

End all your combos with 21 if you want the hard knockdown to set up a hat trap afterwards, but if you want that 1% more end with F14

F23~hatarang, 44 run, B321~spin, Jk~dk, 21 37% / 38% this is your current 11f punisher for one bar guys

4~hatarang, 44, run B321~spin, JK~dk, 21 40% this is your 14f punisher for 1 bar lads if you exchange 21 for F14 you get 1% more with a untechable knockdown but you won't be able to set an hat trap afterwards.

2 meters no jump in 40%
F23~hatarang, 4~hatarang, 44, run, B321~spin, Jk~dk, F14 40%

Tele3 gunning 40% 1 bar
tele3~F23~hatarang, 44, run, B321~spin, JK~dk 21 42%

@Youphemism
@BLOOD CAPTAIN X
@I GOT HANDS